What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (2 Viewers)

Wow Ruggs is 1st WR off the board, taken by the Raiders.

Pick coming...

Last edited by a moderator:
Annnnmd the 49ers take Kinlaw. I ain't mad at it, but I'm not sure they needed to replace Dfo in the 1st round.

The kid wanted to go to SF so I can't hate the pick.

The 49ers 1st round DL run continues....

Not surprised by the Kinlaw pick. Another speciman on the Dline. That's our bread and butter. Was more surprised by the trade up for Aiyuk but he seems like a player that Kyle will enjoy scheming for in this offense. 

Overall I like the picks. 

Not surprised by the Kinlaw pick. Another speciman on the Dline. That's our bread and butter. Was more surprised by the trade up for Aiyuk but he seems like a player that Kyle will enjoy scheming for in this offense. 

Trading up for WRs isnt their strong suit, I would rather have seen a CB taken, but I dont watch college so what do I know?

I’m not sure Shanahan has the nose for receivers that he thinks he does. Hopefully they got two starters tonight. 

May not seem like it at the moment, but I think this draft will prove to be a good one. They got two players with enormous upside in their respective schemes. And both guys fit the current vibe of this team. Putting Kinlaw in the mix with guys like Ford, AA, Bosa, Jones and Blair sets him up to excel and grow early. He could turn out to be a monster. I'm an ASU homer and I think Aiyuk is a better prospect than Harry. He is a great fit with what KS likes to do. Excited to see him, Deebo, Kittle, and guys like Hurd and Taylor back in the mix.

Thinking some trades may still be in the works. They need to add some CB depth IMO. Would also like to see them upgrade the TE 2 spot. Adding another TE threat to what they do could help KS open things up even more. With the roster they have including all of the guys coming back from injury they didn't have a lot of room for rookies anyways. I think they did a good job of adding the right guys to what limited space they had to make an immediate impact.

Annnnmd the 49ers take Kinlaw. I ain't mad at it, but I'm not sure they needed to replace Dfo in the 1st round.

The kid wanted to go to SF so I can't hate the pick.

The 49ers 1st round DL run continues....
I thought this would be the pick once the Buckner trade happened.  Kinlaw has always been physically imposing, but had to work the JUCO route to even qualify to be at South Carolina.  Once there, he just seemed to get stronger with better technique each year.  Hopefully he can keep learning from all the talent already in SF.

Encourage y'all to read more on his background:  https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/usc/2018/08/28/south-carolina-gamecocks-javon-kinlaw-homeless-football/913868002/

Finally, Trent Williams caved in an agreed to play under his current contract, if not, a trade never would have gotten done with any team.  

Breida and Goodwin gone. Nice to clear those cap hits off the books. Getting anything for Goodwin is a bonus. He was going to get cut regardless. The Staley timing seems weird though. Can't imagine they went into the draft not knowing this. With them passing on OT they must have felt confident that the Williams deal would work out. Glad it worked out. Could have left a big hole.

The Staley timing seems weird though. Can't imagine they went into the draft not knowing this. With them passing on OT they must have felt confident that the Williams deal would work out. Glad it worked out. Could have left a big hole.
I don’t know, one could probably make the argument that Brunskill could hold down the fort better at LT than Solomon Thomas and company would have at DT. 

SF409ers said:
Breida and Goodwin gone. Nice to clear those cap hits off the books. Getting anything for Goodwin is a bonus. He was going to get cut regardless.
Didn't really get anything, it was pretty much free.

That said, was him being cut only a contract thing?  I liked his talent and was excited for the trade to Philly.  Know he struggled but wonder if a different system will help him out.  He's shown so much speed and some great flashes.

Didn't really get anything, it was pretty much free.

That said, was him being cut only a contract thing?  I liked his talent and was excited for the trade to Philly.  Know he struggled but wonder if a different system will help him out.  He's shown so much speed and some great flashes.
He looked like a guy going places a couple years ago, but he’s done nothing since. Maybe he just needed a change of scenery but I wouldn’t get my hopes up. 

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/01/report-49ers-decline-5th-year-option-on-dl-solomon-thomas/

The 49ers won’t pick up the fifth-year option on defensive lineman Solomon Thomas’ rookie deal according to NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero.

Thomas, the No. 3 overall pick in 2017, has had a disappointing start to his career with 6.0 sacks and 16 tackles for loss in 46 games. His best season was his rookie year when he posted 3.0 sacks, 10 tackles for loss and 11 quarterback hits. He’s been unable to build on that rookie campaign.

This doesn’t rule out Thomas’ return to the club next season. He’d just be signed to a new, cheaper deal.

2020 is a big season for Thomas. He’ll likely be tasked with playing more snaps at his natural defensive tackle spot. If he can produce in Year 4, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the 49ers re-sign him this offseason

With the news that we won't be picking up Sollys 5th year option, it got me thinking about past drafts by the 49ers, and more specifically, bad picks.

IMO, the worst pick in 49er history was Jim Drukenmiller, who was taken 26th overall and was the 1st QB off the board in 1997. Bill Walsh was an advisor to the team at the time and strongly suggested they take Jake Plummer, but Dwight Clark didnt listen and took Drukenmiller instead. Plummer was drafted 16 picks later by Arizona. "Jimmy D" made a total of five relief appearances and one start in two seasons with the 49ers before being traded to the Dolphins. Plummer of course went on to have a pretty nice career.

There are a lot of bad picks that didn't pan out over the years, but that one is easily one of the franchise's worst ever. The only good thing was we still had Steve Young at the time, but he had to retire after the 1998 season...then we got Garcia, who was very good for the next 4 years, and then came the Alex Smith Era.

I wonder how different things might have been had we drafted Plummer, who played for 10 years before retiring, which would have negated the whole Garcia/Smith eras, and who knows how good he might have been in SF and how long he might have played.

2020 schedule. 5 prime time games.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/5/7/21250897/the-49ers-2020-schedule-is-here-san-francisco-has-five-primetime-games

Week 1: Sept. 13 vs. Cardinals

Week 2: Sept. 20 at Jets

Week 3: Sept. 27 at Giants

Week 4: Oct. 4 vs. Eagles (Sunday Night Football)

Week 5: Oct. 11 vs. Dolphins

Week 6: Oct. 18 vs. Rams (Sunday Night Football)

Week 7: Oct. 25 at Patriots

Week 8: Nov. 1 at Seahawks

Week 9: Nov. 5 vs. Packers (Thursday Night Football)

Week 10: Nov. 15 at Saints

Week 11: BYE WEEK

Week 12: Nov. 29 at Rams

Week 13: Dec. 7 vs. Bills (Monday Night Football)

Week 14: Dec. 13 vs. Redskins

Week 15: Dec. 20 at Cowboys (Sunday Night Football) 

Week 16: Dec. 26 OR Dec. 27 at Cardinals 

Week 17: Jan, 3 vs. Seahawks 

Seems set up for them to get off to another hot start the first 7 weeks...assuming these games are all actually played. Barrows made the interesting point that if games are outright canceled, the softest part of their schedule might get wiped out. After that it’s pretty rough. No getting around that given the strength of the division though. 

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  :wall:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/137429-49ers-deebo-samuel-having-surgery-suffering-broken-foot/

49ers’ Deebo Samuel having surgery after suffering broken foot, could miss 12 and 16 weeks, per report

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel will have surgery today after suffering a broken foot, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. The injury occurred during player-organized practices at the University of Tennessee, which have been organized by quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.

Samuel's surgery will be performed by Dr. Robert Anderson in Green Bay, Wisconsin, Rapoport reported on NFL Network.

"He should miss between 12 and 16 weeks," Rapoport said. "So Samuel, who was primed for a huge 2020, his sophomore season, still has plenty of time to make an impact, should be able to be on the field early this coming season."

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  :wall:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/137429-49ers-deebo-samuel-having-surgery-suffering-broken-foot/

49ers’ Deebo Samuel having surgery after suffering broken foot, could miss 12 and 16 weeks, per report

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel will have surgery today after suffering a broken foot, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. The injury occurred during player-organized practices at the University of Tennessee, which have been organized by quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo.

Samuel's surgery will be performed by Dr. Robert Anderson in Green Bay, Wisconsin, Rapoport reported on NFL Network.

"He should miss between 12 and 16 weeks," Rapoport said. "So Samuel, who was primed for a huge 2020, his sophomore season, still has plenty of time to make an impact, should be able to be on the field early this coming season."

Oof. In addition to the 12-16 week timetable, guys rarely come back from injuries like that hitting the ground running. I could see Deebo being an afterthought until late in the season. 

I wonder, being in their window, if San Fran might make a move for a veteran WR. Just a few names that could be reasonably available in trade are:

Curtis Samuel, AJ Green(or John Ross), Marvin Jones, Kenny Stills, Dede Westbrook, Mike Williams(maybe, but not cheaply) Albert Wilson, Golden Tate, Corey Davis(same as Williams) and long shot perhaps, but maybe Julian Edelman? Always Antonio Brown too. 

I'd have a hard time believing they just roll with Aiyuk, Bourne, Pettis, Hurd, Jennings. 

From a fantasy perspective, this is probably a boost for Kittle and Aiyuk. Kittle especially could be interesting, as he was already a bit underrated in my eyes as he was nowhere near 100% for most of last year, and now should see added targets.

Oof. In addition to the 12-16 week timetable, guys rarely come back from injuries like that hitting the ground running. I could see Deebo being an afterthought until late in the season. 

I wonder, being in their window, if San Fran might make a move for a veteran WR. Just a few names that could be reasonably available in trade are:

Curtis Samuel, AJ Green(or John Ross), Marvin Jones, Kenny Stills, Dede Westbrook, Mike Williams(maybe, but not cheaply) Albert Wilson, Golden Tate, Corey Davis(same as Williams) and long shot perhaps, but maybe Julian Edelman? Always Antonio Brown too. 

I'd have a hard time believing they just roll with Aiyuk, Bourne, Pettis, Hurd, Jennings. 

From a fantasy perspective, this is probably a boost for Kittle and Aiyuk. Kittle especially could be interesting, as he was already a bit underrated in my eyes as he was nowhere near 100% for most of last year, and now should see added targets.
I dunno...you forgot Trent Taylor in that list. I can absolutely see them rolling with Taylor, Bourne, Aiyuk, Hurd, and either Jennings or Pettis at WR, and of course Kittle...don't forget that McKinnon *should* add/be a receiving threat out of the backfield this season, and Juice has been known to make a play in the passing game here and there. If Hurd is healthy, he is a match-up nightmare and Shanahan will use him every way you can think of.

I agree that Deebo won't be 100% when he comes back, but depending on how the other WRs are playing, maybe they ease him back in. I dont think they'll add another WR, Deebo should only miss maybe 4 games (assuming no setbacks), and we still have a lot of weapons IF Hurd and Taylor are close to or at 100%.

It sucks but I dont think its gonna kill our season by any means, and the way things are going, its possible that the season could start weeks later than everyone is anticipating, which would change the whole situation.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/137439-49ers-deebo-samuel-says-hell-back-better-weeks/

49ers’ Deebo Samuel says he’ll be back better than ever in 10 weeks

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel is having surgery today after suffering a broken left foot during a player-organized throwing session at the University of Tennessee on Tuesday.

NFL insider Ian Rapoport was the first to report the news and said on NFL Network that the second-year receiver would miss between 12 to 16 weeks as he recovers. That timetable would put his return to the football field between the second week of September and the second week of October.

San Francisco's first regular-season game is scheduled for Sunday, September 13, as the team hosts the Arizona Cardinals at Levi's Stadium.

Samuel believes he will beat Rapoport's stated timetable and be better than ever when he returns.

@19problemz from Twitter: "10 weeks I’m back better than the deebo you seen before"

The receiver's timetable would have him return well in advance of Week 1.

Samuel also shared the following on Instagram, indicating that he fully expects to be ready for the start of the regular season.

@19problemz from Instagram: "We good, be back before season starts, no panic. All Gods work".

The injury certainly means Samuel will miss most or likely all of training camp, but it certainly isn't a season-ender. Some fans will point to wide receiver Trent Taylor suffering a similar injury last year and not playing in 2019. That injury, however, suffered complications after his initial surgery and required more procedures, which kept Taylor sidelined. That doesn't necessarily mean the same thing will happen to Samuel.

Wingnut said:
I dunno...you forgot Trent Taylor in that list. I can absolutely see them rolling with Taylor, Bourne, Aiyuk, Hurd, and either Jennings or Pettis at WR, and of course Kittle...don't forget that McKinnon *should* add/be a receiving threat out of the backfield this season, and Juice has been known to make a play in the passing game here and there. If Hurd is healthy, he is a match-up nightmare and Shanahan will use him every way you can think of.

I agree that Deebo won't be 100% when he comes back, but depending on how the other WRs are playing, maybe they ease him back in. I dont think they'll add another WR, Deebo should only miss maybe 4 games (assuming no setbacks), and we still have a lot of weapons is Hurd and Taylor are close to ar at 100%.

It sucks but I dont think its gonna kill our season by any means, and the way things are going, its possible that the season could start weeks later than everyone is anticipating.
That is extremely optimistic in my eyes. Trent Taylor suffered pretty much the same injury and never made it back. He had multiple issues in his recovery, but that isn't uncommon. I'm not saying Deebo is out for the year, but 4 weeks could easily turn into half, if not most, of the regular season. 

They do have a lot of potential options, but not a one of them are proven beyond Kittle. Just feels like a lot to risk for a Super Bowl contender, especially one with cap room. The trade for Sanders last year, makes me think they wouldn't be opposed to adding a vet again this year.

I could be wrong, but I know if I were John Lynch, I'm not risking it on a bunch of unproven young guys, who have mostly all had injury woes themselves. 

What. The. ####.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/137770-49ers-running-back-raheem-mostert-requests-trade/

San Francisco 49ers running back Raheem Mostert has requested a trade, according to a tweet by his agent, Brett Tessler. The agent noted the months of unproductive talks with the team surrounding a new contract as the basis for the request.

Tessler expressed disappointment in the situation and for his client, who led all NFL running backs in yards-per-carry last season and helped the 49ers reach the Super Bowl.

Tessler via Twittet:

After months of unproductive talks with the 49ers about fairly adjusting Raheem Mostert's contract (which paid him for special teams) we have requested a trade. Disappointing that it would come to this for a guy who led all NFL RBs in YPC & helped lead them to the Super Bowl.

:wall:

Not an unreasonable request. Get this done, 49ers.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/137774-49ers-news-raheem-mostert-asking-highest-paid-running-back/

Raheem Mostert asking to be 49ers’ highest-paid running back, per report

News broke on Wednesday that San Francisco 49ers running back Raheem Mostert has requested a trade after what his agent described as months of unproductive contract talks. Mostert is signed through the 2021 season but will earn a base salary of just $2.575 million this year.

Mostert and his agent either want a new deal or want the running back to go to a team that will offer him one.

What exactly is Mostert requesting from the 49ers? Is it something completely unreasonable for the team's leading rusher and the player who led all running backs in yards-per-carry last season?

It doesn't sound like it.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network spoke with Mostert's agent, Brett Tessler, and said his client is seeking to become the highest-paid running back on the team. Right now, that is Tevin Coleman, who is set to earn $4.55 million in 2020.

Mostert figures to once again receive the majority of the carries during the upcoming season after leading the team with 772 rushing yards and eight rushing touchdowns on 137 carries last season. He's been preparing this offseason for an increased workload with the 49ers.

Ian Rapoport via Twitter:

"Spoke with @TesslerSports about RB Raheem Mostert and his trade demand from #49ers. His request was simply to bring Mostert in line with the highest paid RBs on the team. Tevin Coleman makes $4.55M in 2020 and that’s where Mostert wants to be. He has two years left on his deal.

5:43 PM · Jul 8, 2020"

I can't blame him for trying to get paid, since he had his first good season after 6 years of being in the league, but most competent backs could have had success behind that line last year. I am sure the 49ers know that he was a product of the system, so I will be stunned if they pay this guy.

Not an unreasonable request. Get this done, 49ers.
Seems like an easy fix in these situations. Give him some incentives so that he does finish the year the most productive RB he makes ~$4.6mil. Keep in mind the best season this guy every had was 300yd/1td before last year. There is no guarantee he finishes above Coleman if you plan on splitting their carries 50/50.  If McKinnon was even close to being healthy they might just give him his with for a day 3 pick to avoid the headache.

The market for 28yo RB's looking for a new contract probably isn't very strong, especially when his year 28 season may be a lost season. Given his career resume I'm not really sure that $2.6mil is a slap in the face for Mostert. SF is at a HUGE advantage this year with so few changes going on if there is an abbreviated season with little/no preparation to the season. Rams relying on rookies to play huge parts in replacing key vets. Cardinals best player on offense and defense hasn't even played a down with the team yet. Continuity is the only reason I can imagine SF would throw some incentives into his deal.

Seems like an easy fix in these situations. Give him some incentives so that he does finish the year the most productive RB he makes ~$4.6mil. Keep in mind the best season this guy every had was 300yd/1td before last year. There is no guarantee he finishes above Coleman if you plan on splitting their carries 50/50.  If McKinnon was even close to being healthy they might just give him his with for a day 3 pick to avoid the headache.

The market for 28yo RB's looking for a new contract probably isn't very strong, especially when his year 28 season may be a lost season. Given his career resume I'm not really sure that $2.6mil is a slap in the face for Mostert. SF is at a HUGE advantage this year with so few changes going on if there is an abbreviated season with little/no preparation to the season. Rams relying on rookies to play huge parts in replacing key vets. Cardinals best player on offense and defense hasn't even played a down with the team yet. Continuity is the only reason I can imagine SF would throw some incentives into his deal.
While I think Mostert is a product of the system, taking a new deal with too many incentives could be dicey considering the 49ers very much are a RBBC more often than not, and the last thing a Super Bowl contender needs is a RB pouting when he doesn't get a lot of touches in a game or two for whatever reason.  Not a great situation right now for either side, to be honest.

Between this and not getting Kittle’s done, is the team just preparing for the worst in terms of a cap decrease? Maybe they think they’ll need every bit of cap room for Kittle? I don’t really blame either side for acting in their best interest here. The Niners are already overcommitted in terms of RB salaries after bad deals for Coleman and McKinnon (plus they are paying Juszczyk huge money even though he’s worth it).

Former Redskins TE Jordan Reed signs one year deal with 49ers

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138281-49ers-jordan-reed-reach-agreement-one-year-deal/

The San Francisco 49ers have reached an agreement on a one-year deal with veteran tight end Jordan Reed, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Reed, 30, was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2016. That was a year after his best statistical season in 2015 when he caught 87 passes for 952 yards with 11 touchdowns.

The move gives the 49ers some much-needed depth behind All-Pro tight end George Kittle, who is entering the final year of his rookie deal and is expected soon to become the highest-paid tight end in the NFL.

Kyle Shanahan spent one season (2013) coaching Reed when the 49ers head coach was the offensive coordinator in Washington.

Adam Schefter tweeted:

Former Washington Pro Bowl TE Jordan Reed reached agreement on an incentive-laden, one-year deal with the San Francisco 49ers, sources tell ESPN. Reed is 30, has a history of concussions, but when healthy - as he is now - he is one of the game’s elite tight ends.

2:44 PM · Aug 3, 2020

I like the signing. Maybe seeing less snaps per game will help him stay healthier during the year? I dunno. 

Scared for his future on a personal level though. That's a lot of concussions. 7 confirmed. 

Love the Reed signing a ton. No risk at all, and potentially high reward. Having a 2nd TE of Reed's caliber, makes the 49ers even harder to prepare for. Especially once Deebo gets back.

A couple of weeks ago on a 49er page I said Kittle would get somewhere near halfway between the highest paid TE and highest paid WR money (Hunter Henry at $10.6 million/yr and Julio Jones at $22 million/yr). Right on time if this report is true.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138577-announce-6-year-million-contract-extension-george-kittle-friday/

Rumor: 49ers will announce 6-year, $94.8 million contract extension for George Kittle on Friday

Grant Cohn of Sports Illustrated started his report by writing "Take this for what it's worth," so there is that.

He does, however, report that the San Francisco 49ers will announce a six-year contract extension worth up to $94.8 million for All-Pro tight end George Kittle, according to a source. That comes out too $15.8 million per season. That will include a $25 million signing bonus and will be structured so that it only impacts the 49ers' salary cap by $10 million in 2021. It will also reportedly include $47.4 million guaranteed.

That's a lot of details for a rumor, so it is hard to doubt it. And such a deal would make Kittle the highest-paid tight end in football by a significant margin.

"This seems like a fair deal for both the 49ers and Kittle," wrote Cohn. "The 49ers don't have to pay Kittle $17 million per season, which is wide-receiver money. They get a discount because he's a tight end. But Kittle gets lots of guaranteed money and security because he has earned it."

Kittle has been the 49ers' best player over the past two seasons, accumulating over 1,000 receiving yards in each. San Francisco made the tight end a fifth-round draft pick out of Iowa in 2017, and he has since earned two Pro Bowl selections and was last season named a first-team All-Pro.

Annnnnnd then this:

George Kittle seemingly shoots down Sports Illustrated report that a contract extension is imminent

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138581-george-kittle-seemingly-shoots-illustrated-contract-extension-imminent/

That may have been short-lived. Grant Cohn of Sports Illustrated — not too long ago today — reported that the San Francisco 49ers were on the cusp of a six-year, $94.8 million contract extension for All-Pro tight end George Kittle.

Don't celebrate just yet.

Kittle himself replied via Twitter while asking, "Y'all believe everything you read on the internet, huh?"

There you go.

Cohn's report stated that the 49ers would announce the new deal on Friday. It sounds like this is news to Kittle.

Meanwhile, Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area reports that his sources indicate that there is "healthier progress" toward a new deal between the two sides, but doesn't state that anything is imminent.

Thats why it was labeled "RUMOR"....we shall see!!!

Users who are viewing this thread