What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How The NBA Has Changed (1 Viewer)

Gally said:
So "locking up" a team means holding them to 116 pts?  I would guess there were times throughout the game that no real defense was being played.  Players/teams take possessions off on defense all the time during the regular season.  Lebron takes long portions of games off for certain areas (like defense) to save himself over the course of the season.  Defense is hit and miss during the regular season.  Playoffs are typically a different story. 
You didn't watch the game. You just looked at the box score. So please stop posting because you're embarrassing yourself with your ignorance.

This sort of made me laugh and shake my head too. It sort of makes your point for you. When people nowadays think giving up 116 is somehow lock down defense. Seriously? Proof that defense is no longer allowed. Some of it may be on the players, but 90% of it is the ridiculous rules they are forced to play under nowadays.
Is that because of the league rules and bad officials, or do guys like Patrick Beverly and Marcus Smart not play defense? Defense is about preparation and effort. Some noobs in here seem to think the box score determines if these professional athletes try to stop the other team from scoring. 

Points per game is a really bad measure of defense.  At least look at points per possession if you want to get something closer to the truth, so that you're not misinterpreting the faster pace of the game as worse defense.

That said, I'd expect even points per possession to be higher than it used to be, because offenses are so much better.  I'm not just talking about the quality of the players, but the superior strategy that's used now.  It's as if NFL teams went from throwing 5-10 passes per game to throwing 25-35.  Of course, defenses would be allowing more points. 

Modern NBA offenses are much harder to defend against.  It's nearly impossible to just play good man-to-man defense and shut down a good offense, so not only do I see players going all out on D, but they mix in a healthy dose of switching to limit the impact of top players being able to get free from almost any defender.

It's actually hard to think of a really good NBA team right now that doesn't play pretty good defense.  Maybe Dallas?

Capella said:
Oh I get it. My viewing has dropped too. I pretty much absorb all CFB but only the big nfl games (non-Bucs of course). Playoffs for NBA, Bolts for hockey and bandwagon the rays for baseball — haven’t watched a non-rays regular season game in probably 20 years and likely never will again. I got stuff to do now. 

Anyways this is off-topic but I get what you mean. 
There is a hockey team in Tampa?  :oldunsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
The chart from years ago is what the shot selection is in local pickup b-ball games still.
My experience is not this at all.

Kids just wanna chuck up 3's.  Very few will challenge the rim, offense or defense.

The "organized" adult (old man) pickup games and leagues are very much the old chart.

TheIronSheik said:
Yup.  I think one of the reasons I like CBB so much is because they are flawed.  I know that may sound weird, but everyone not being great actually makes the game more interesting.  
You must really enjoy girls high school basketball then.

Court absolutely needs to be bigger at this point.  These guys are all just so much bigger now.  It's not that difficult.
Wouldn't the court being bigger lead to more uncontested shots?  :shrug:  I guess it would allow to move the 3 line back, but you are forcing the D to cover more ground.  Would probably see an increase in dunks/layups though.

Make the court smaller.  :)  

zoobird said:
1st place gets all 7 games at home against 8th place.
This would increase tanking. Why would a team fight to get that 8th spot just to get wiped out in the first round without even getting any of the benefits ($) that come from home playoff games?

You didn't watch the game. You just looked at the box score. So please stop posting because you're embarrassing yourself with your ignorance.
i have seen plenty of NBA games and players take possessions/quarters/halfs off from playing defense.  I know Lebron does this every game to conserve energy for the long season.  It's a smart thing to do at times but it diminishes the regular season game.  Everything I have said is fact.  Nothing to be embarrassed by.  The fact you are saying players go all out in the NBA regular season on defense is incorrect.  For stretches sure.  But players take possessions off in every game.  It's easy to see.  I don't have to watch one particular game to know this.  Watch any game and you will see it. 

Points per game is a really bad measure of defense.  At least look at points per possession if you want to get something closer to the truth, so that you're not misinterpreting the faster pace of the game as worse defense.

That said, I'd expect even points per possession to be higher than it used to be, because offenses are so much better.  I'm not just talking about the quality of the players, but the superior strategy that's used now.  It's as if NFL teams went from throwing 5-10 passes per game to throwing 25-35.  Of course, defenses would be allowing more points. 

Modern NBA offenses are much harder to defend against.  It's nearly impossible to just play good man-to-man defense and shut down a good offense, so not only do I see players going all out on D, but they mix in a healthy dose of switching to limit the impact of top players being able to get free from almost any defender.

It's actually hard to think of a really good NBA team right now that doesn't play pretty good defense.  Maybe Dallas?
Dallas is probably the worst of that bunch.  Denver is still not great, when you get down to it, but certainly Malone seems to get everything out of them that he can.  Houston is still a bit of a work in progress.

Court absolutely needs to be bigger at this point.  These guys are all just so much bigger now.  It's not that difficult.
I've said the same thing about the NFL (make the field wider).  Guys are just so much bigger and faster than 40 years ago, yet the field is the same size.  It would cut down on injuries and increase offense.  Win/Win for the NFL.

I don't have to watch one particular game to know this.
:lmao:  Nobody that watched that game would say the dumb thing you said. That's how I know you're talking out of your asss.

The fact you are saying players go all out in the NBA regular season on defense is incorrect.  
I will give you a million dollars if you can quote me as ever saying that. Go ahead and @ me when you find it. Stop misquoting and putting lies in peoples mouth. This is bush league level stuff even for internet trolls.

I still enjoy the actual play in the NBA, even if it has changed a lot from what I grew up with. 

I really hate the atmosphere of games though.  The non stop playing of music during play is something I don't like.  I prefer to hear a crowd generating its own noise.

:lmao:  Nobody that watched that game would say the dumb thing you said. That's how I know you're talking out of your asss.

I will give you a million dollars if you can quote me as ever saying that. Go ahead and @ me when you find it. Stop misquoting and putting lies in peoples mouth. This is bush league level stuff even for internet trolls.
I am not sure your problem.  You insulted me over asking you a question and giving my opinion on why I don't think NBA players play good defense until the playoffs.  You seem to be the one with the issue and talking out of your ###. 

I am not sure your problem.  You insulted me over asking you a question and giving my opinion on why I don't think NBA players play good defense until the playoffs.  You seem to be the one with the issue and talking out of your ###. 
That's what I thought. Keep it moving then.

Is that because of the league rules and bad officials, or do guys like Patrick Beverly and Marcus Smart not play defense? Defense is about preparation and effort. Some noobs in here seem to think the box score determines if these professional athletes try to stop the other team from scoring. 
They play defense by today's rules.

I'd argue hand checking helps you play perimeter defense more than any of that preparation and effort.  I'd argue this has a huge correlation to the increased volume and efficiency of the 3 point shot, simply easier now that the defense can't put hands on you.

Outside in Tampa?

Are we talking hockey or water polo?
I have no idea what you’re talking about. There are hockey teams in a lot of hot places man. It’s not 1952 anymore. Everybody has AC. 

Wondering what kind of career Kareem Jabbar would have if he was just coming into the league now.   Jabbar did not run the court well and had no outside shot.  NBA teams on offense do not want the middle clogged up anymore.  The Piston could not give away 7ft Andre Drummond who plays an old style game.
Meh—the giving away Drummond thing is a partial reality. Nobody wanted to give up anything for Drummond because he has an expiring contract. No contender thought it would be worth giving up any viable asset for effectively a few month rental.  Not only that—Drummond does not play an old style big man game on defense.  He’s a defensive sieve that allows opposing big men to have huge games against him every night.  LIterally—lots of pros that play daily fantasy will use opposing big men of Drummond in their lineups whenever possible. I assure you that if Rudy Gobert was on the trade block—lots of teams would be making hefty offers for him.  

Wondering what kind of career Kareem Jabbar would have if he was just coming into the league now.   Jabbar did not run the court well and had no outside shot.  NBA teams on offense do not want the middle clogged up anymore.  The Piston could not give away 7ft Andre Drummond who plays an old style game.
KAJ would still be awesome because he had an unstoppable shot. He shot 56-59% on a shot that is impossible to block and that he can get off all the time. He'd be good.

Meh—the giving away Drummond thing is a partial reality. Nobody wanted to give up anything for Drummond because he has an expiring contract. No contender thought it would be worth giving up any viable asset for effectively a few month rental.  Not only that—Drummond does not play an old style big man game on defense.  He’s a defensive sieve that allows opposing big men to have huge games against him every night.  LIterally—lots of pros that play daily fantasy will use opposing big men of Drummond in their lineups whenever possible. I assure you that if Rudy Gobert was on the trade block—lots of teams would be making hefty offers for him.  
I agree with your point about the defense, though I think that more of the problem on the contract was not so much that he was a rental, but that he had that $28m option that teams didn't want hanging over their head.

Users who are viewing this thread