What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are we already living in a dictatorship? (2 Viewers)

I saw this quote by Steven Calabresi ...

I have voted Republican in every presidential election since 1980, including voting for Donald Trump in 2016. I wrote op-eds and a law review article protesting what I believe was an unconstitutional investigation by Robert Mueller. I also wrote an op-ed opposing President Trump’s impeachment.

But I am frankly appalled by the president’s recent tweet seeking to postpone the November election. Until recently, I had taken as political hyperbole the Democrats’ assertion that President Trump is a fascist. But this latest tweet is fascistic and is itself grounds for the president’s immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate.
... And I was completely shocked: Professor Calabresi had been a Trump supporter? I remembered the name from law school -- he was one of the truly smart people in the field of law at the time. Rather conservative, sure, but I would have never pegged him as a future Trump supporter, not in a million years.

Turns out I had the wrong Calabresi in mind: it was Guido, not Steven, that I was thinking of.

Anyway, the thing about fascism seems correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
The postponement or recognition of elections is precisely what people feared from President Trump. I'd wish him luck in trying to achieve that. The populace will make its demands heard, quite frankly, if he tries this. 

Also to add, he got Huawei banned by putting them on the naughty list and Google and Apple then removed it from their app stores. 

Go ahead, "ban" TikTok.  Will take about 20 minutes before everyone gets around whatever ban goes into place.  Will also piss off a whole boatload of millennials.

All this stuff that’s going on and his plan is to ban Tik Tok in the US. The young people are going to lose their #### over this.
I think what Trump meant to say was that he is going to ban Tik Tok in about two weeks.

This thread is a huge disservice and insult to people who actually come from countries that have a dictator.  

I'm guessing not a single one of you has ever lived under a dictatorship.

We may find out if a Democrat defeats Trump in a very close election. 

If that happens my guess is that Trump would declare there was fraud and claim he was the rightful winner.  Fox news would of course run with it and the GOP leaders would go along for the ride so as not to risk alienation in the party.  I think there is a good chance he would remain in power until the inevitable countless lawsuits are filed and decided by the courts which could take years
This wasn’t too far off. The election wasn’t close enough and Fox didn’t fully support his claims but he definitely is trying to pull this move.

This thread is a huge disservice and insult to people who actually come from countries that have a dictator.  

I'm guessing not a single one of you has ever lived under a dictatorship.
Were most of the posters here actually saying we live in a dictatorship? I didn’t read all of it but that’s hardly what I saw.

Yep.  Just came in here to post the same thing.  A normal person doesn’t do this.  This is what dictators do.
Actually, dictators don't call anyone to get what they want.  They just do it with force and the threat of death and don't "ask" anyone.

While I appreciate your posts and find them much more reasonable than most in here, the definition of "dictator" in here is absurd.  And it's simply because of the hate for Trump.  Trump isn't even close to what a "dictator" is.  It's because people want to demonize Trump to fit the narrative.

You, and others, should actually talk to people who come from countries with actual dictators.  I'm sure you would find that your definition and people who've actually lived under them are diametrically different.

Actually, dictators don't call anyone to get what they want.  They just do it with force and the threat of death and don't "ask" anyone.

While I appreciate your posts and find them much more reasonable than most in here, the definition of "dictator" in here is absurd.  And it's simply because of the hate for Trump.  Trump isn't even close to what a "dictator" is.  It's because people want to demonize Trump to fit the narrative.

You, and others, should actually talk to people who come from countries with actual dictators.  I'm sure you would find that your definition and people who've actually lived under them are diametrically different.
Like a dictator is not the same as a dictator.  And it would be nice instead of trying to  excuse it as “well not as bad as a real dictator “ that his supporters And those in Congress would show that this behavior out of a POTUS is not acceptable.

I guess exploring his legal rights to expose voter fraud falls under the dictator umbrella these days. 

I guess exploring his legal rights to expose voter fraud falls under the dictator umbrella these days. 
Remember when Stacy Abrams never conceded and claimed fraud and the left agreed with her even though she lost by 50K votes?  Yeah, me too.  Good times.

But now that Trump is doing the same it's a bad thing?  Crazy, hypocritical times we live in.

I should have said my normal phrase “wannabe dictators.”  Apologies for not being more precise.

And man, I really appreciate your perspective.  Truly.  On many many topics in this forum.  But you don’t know me.  Two of my goods friends come from Zimbabwe and Venezuela.  Guys I’ve known over 20 years.  One lost a brother while fighting as part of the resistance against the Mugabe regime.   So yeah - I know what an actual dictator is like.  And I also saw both of those countries deteriorate over time; I saw their leaders take them down a spiraling path by running “the dictator playbook.”

I agree that Trump isn’t an actual dictator.  My bad on being loose with language.  I’m usually more careful and say that his actions match those of a wannabe dictator — and anyone who has studied the rise of dictatorships would agree with that.

Remember when Stacy Abrams never conceded and claimed fraud and the left agreed with her even though she lost by 50K votes?  Yeah, me too.  Good times.

But now that Trump is doing the same it's a bad thing?  Crazy, hypocritical times we live in.
Same with concerns over voting machines. They were high risk for fraud going into the 2020 elections. Now they are a critical component of the "most secure election we've ever seen."

"Cool.... can we see those machines?"

"Nope!"

That isn’t what he did in this case — he asked the Governor of Georgia to overturn the decision of GA’s voters.  You realize that isn’t remotely the same thing.  You know this.  

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
That isn’t what he did in this case — he asked the Governor of Georgia to overturn the decision of GA’s voters.  You realize that isn’t remotely the same thing.  You know this.  
No he didn't.  He didn't do that at all.

You should read @Joe Bryant response to this very topic that @timschochet also brought up and said the same thing as you: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/776645-trump-2020-hq-the-great-place/?do=findComment&comment=23120619

Users who are viewing this thread