What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How smart do you consider yourself to be? (1 Viewer)

How smart are you?

• Brilliant, one of the smartest people on Earth

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Genius, in the top 1% on Earth

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Extremely intelligent, top 5% on Earth

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Very smart, top 10% on Earth

Votes: 45 19.6%
  • Smarter than the vast majority, easily top 20%

Votes: 55 23.9%
  • Smart, somewhere in the 20-40% range

Votes: 47 20.4%
  • Average, 40-60% range

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Below average intelligence, 60-80% range

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Pretty stupid, bottom 20%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Moron, bottom 10%

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • I wear velcro shoes, and not because I like how they look

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Depends on how you define the word smart. In terms of common sense street smarts, I'm the best in the world.

If we are talking book smarts, I'm like a squirrel having sex with a can of pringles.
 This is a holistic overall look at your intelligence. 

It's anonymous, so we can try to be realistic. 

I am a member of the Triple Nine Society so I guess I am toward the top.  My friend is a member of the Mega Society which means he as smart as they come.

I might not be tops in either category but my common sense - street smart - book smart combo is off the charts awesome

Average now and dropping as I age. 

At my intellectual peak as an engineer, I maybe could have crossed into the smart (20-40) category.

Depends on the crowd I'm running with at the moment.  At work (bank), or hanging out with friends who are most professionals, I don't feel particularly smart.  However, I coach basketball and when dealing with parents, people running tournaments we play at, or the state wide youth program, I tend to find a lot of people that make me wonder how they function on a daily basis.

I debated how above average I think of myself, but settled on 20-40% range.  I probably could have gone 20% but I'm also humble ;)

Why?  Was always a good student.  Had some honors classes in highschool.  Graduated college in 4 years with a dual major.  Have a master's degree.  Participate in trivia games in bars and events and always finish in the top 3rd of all participants.  :shrug:

But I also realize that 1, there are a lot of people in the world who just aren't very bright, so that helps bump me up.  And I also know there are many people brighter.  Sure, I had honors classes but it didn't finish in the top of my graduating class.  And sure, I have few degrees, but they were from state schools, not some ivy league.  And sure, I finish top 3rd at trivia nights but I rarely win. 

I debated how above average I think of myself, but settled on 20-40% range.  I probably could have gone 20% but I'm also humble ;)

Why?  Was always a good student.  Had some honors classes in highschool.  Graduated college in 4 years with a dual major.  Have a master's degree.  Participate in trivia games in bars and events and always finish in the top 3rd of all participants.  :shrug:

But I also realize that 1, there are a lot of people in the world who just aren't very bright, so that helps bump me up.  And I also know there are many people brighter.  Sure, I had honors classes but it didn't finish in the top of my graduating class.  And sure, I have few degrees, but they were from state schools, not some ivy league.  And sure, I finish top 3rd at trivia nights but I rarely win. 
Don't sell yourself short....  you're a tremendous slouch

I always thought "smart" was relative.  When my memory was at its peak, I could rattle off so much knowledge from memory.  It only took one time hearing it and it was written in pen in my brain.  I could learn things really quick and figure out patterns very easily.  But I never really thought of that as smart.  I mean, I still think I'm above average.  I took the Mensa test and just missed out on it.  But I know that was because I crapped the bed on pretty much every math question.  

All that said, I don't know if just being able to remember stuff makes me smart.  

probably nearer the 40 spot in the top 20 - 40% range.  

then i think the average person is pretty ####### stupid so maybe it's closer to the 30% range?

3 people near the top of the planet and 2 right behind them in the top 1%. I must've accidentally posted this thread in my MIT quant forum, sorry about that. 

My senior year - math professor was like elite level mathematician - like he was off the charts math smart.

I'm not sure he knew how to tie a shoe

So is he a top 1%

50% super genius - 50% bobby boucher

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have scored myself pretty high in my 20s (considering SAT scores etc), but as I look back on my maturity and world view then, it doesn't seem so smart in hindsight.  With that in mind, I'm skeptical about considering myself smart at all. 

Intelligence is always such a fascinating question because there’s so many different elements to it. I can’t spell my way out of a paper bag yet I’ve always considered myself to be a pretty smart person.  There’s so many variations of intelligence that makes it hard to compare across different subsets of people.  

Kris Kross fan?
I don't remember all of the specifics, though it was documented on this board.  But I was taking a dump at work and somehow peed while seated and because public toilet seats are U's and not O's, the stream went right onto my pants.  Hilarity ensued, but for the life of my, I have no recollection of the events after that.  

I feel like the top 1-5 percent of people are significantly smarter than me.  I have a couple of friends/relatives with huge jobs/educations that make me feel like a complete idiot when I talk to them. My brother in law heads the cancer research lab at one of the top 5 hospitals in the world. He might as well be speaking Martian when he tries to explain what he does to someone like me.

But when I consider the other people that I deal with on a daily basis, I'm pretty confident that I'm smarter than at least 95 percent of them. Even in an industry that youd think would be filled with capable people, I am stunned every day at the level of stupidity I encounter.

My smaaaaahts is a fluid sitch. When i was 4-5yo, me Ma's brother & his wife were taking advanced degrees in education and used me for a guinea pig. In addition to other tests, i spiked a 168 & 172 on IQs. That put me on a track which was almost as stoopit as special ed was in those days and the reason i started cutting school @ 10yo, took my SATs on acid and never applied to college. 

As an adult, more savant than genius. Because i see metaphor like some can see equations or chessboards, i'm as comfortable going where others dare not go as anyone i've known. But, since the vagaries of the human instrument are my greatest area of curiosity, i'm not a very good person to know. If i know you, i know you better than you know you. Very handy if you are in trouble, very unhandy if you wanna make trouble and generally a huuuuge PITA to be around. I've worked diligently on humility since my Mary died and i crashed 20some years ago, because i do want to be useful. But my talents have grooved my neural pathways to make me moronic in areas where i feel no sense of mastery and that's a part of myself i've been too old to work on for some time.

My smaaaaahts is a fluid sitch. When i was 4-5yo, me Ma's brother & his wife were taking advanced degrees in education and used me for a guinea pig. In addition to other tests, i spiked a 168 & 172 on IQs. That put me on a track which was almost as stoopit as special ed was in those days and the reason i started cutting school @ 10yo, took my SATs on acid and never applied to college. 

As an adult, more savant than genius. Because i see metaphor like some can see equations or chessboards, i'm as comfortable going where others dare not go as anyone i've known. But, since the vagaries of the human instrument are my greatest area of curiosity, i'm not a very good person to know. If i know you, i know you better than you know you. Very handy if you are in trouble, very unhandy if you wanna make trouble and generally a huuuuge PITA to be around. I've worked diligently on humility since my Mary died and i crashed 20some years ago, because i do want to be useful. But my talents have grooved my neural pathways to make me moronic in areas where i feel no sense of mastery and that's a part of myself i've been too old to work on for some time.
Any time I start to feel like I’m decently smart wik or @rockaction write a post and I realize I should have voted Velcro shoes.  

ChiefD said:
Depends on how you define the word smart. In terms of common sense street smarts, I'm the best in the world.

If we are talking book smarts, I'm like a squirrel having sex with a can of pringles.
Only someone of below average intelligence would believe this poll was about street smarts. 

My smaaaaahts is a fluid sitch. When i was 4-5yo, me Ma's brother & his wife were taking advanced degrees in education and used me for a guinea pig. In addition to other tests, i spiked a 168 & 172 on IQs. That put me on a track which was almost as stoopit as special ed was in those days and the reason i started cutting school @ 10yo, 
:lol:  Yeah

I had a similar experience with high IQ tests and being pulled out of the regular classroom into some ridiculous gifted/enriched learning program that looking back probably wasn't that bad but I didn't want to be the first kid in town to use the world wide web, I just wanted to be with my friends. 

I'm way dumber now in a traditional sense (thanks beer!) but I also think more worldly or emotionally intelligent or some other random quotient of non-specific/academic knowledge that old me would probably have the right term for. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread