What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Three Axe Attack Open Thread (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
Last time I saw Spoon they had a three axe attack and absolutely rawked the stage. It was incredible. Right about now, I'm melancholy and don't see a thread that fits what I want to say. Anyone else? Here's your Wednesday open thread.

Last time I saw Spoon they had a three axe attack and absolutely rawked the stage. It was incredible. Right about now, I'm melancholy and don't see a thread that fits what I want to say. Anyone else? Here's your Wednesday open thread.
Last time I saw Spoon (about 1 year ago) they sucked.   Totally phoned it in, and Britt Daniel acted like he resented the crowd for wanting to hear their hits.

The good thing was there was a local band called Great Grandpa that opened.   They had a 19 year old lead singer who reminded me of a young Gwen Stefani.  The band was sort of power pop, except that way over on the left side of the stage by himself was a lead guitarist who clearly had death metal roots.   It came together in a surprisingly delightful way.   Blew Spoon away.   Now that I think about it, that may be part of why they had such a bad attitude while playing with no heart.   

Last time I saw Spoon (about 1 year ago) they sucked.   Totally phoned it in, and Britt Daniel acted like he resented the crowd for wanting to hear their hits.

The good thing was there was a local band called Great Grandpa that opened.   They had a 19 year old lead singer who reminded me of a young Gwen Stefani.  The band was sort of power pop, except that way over on the left side of the stage by himself was a lead guitarist who clearly had death metal roots.   It came together in a surprisingly delightful way.   Blew Spoon away.   Now that I think about it, that may be part of why they had such a bad attitude while playing with no heart.   
Wow. Yeah. I saw them open for the Shins and they were uninvolved, too. It's funny because Britt Daniel is usually so into his performances as something akin to rock God/art and they didn't really do it for me. Perhaps their longevity is dragging on them. Perhaps they're just getting old (my theory) like us. But that night in Santa Ana about three years ago they were stalwart arguments (plural) against rock being dead.

Interesting about the other band. I've seen younger girls asking for No Doubt in record stores for Stefani and the record store owners being surprised a bit. They seem to think that No Doubt had little staying power, but I guess the opposite is true. 

I'm just kidding 'bout the Goldenplane. I remember Willie fondly. He came back recently.

Anyway, if that's a picture of y'all, you look great.

I see your band with excess band members and raise you Slipknot
GWAR might once have looked upon the excess band members run riot shtick and found it easily conquerable. RIP Oderus Urungus.

Did they have a troll that blessed you from the murky swamp? I don't know, but they should have. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Who’s spoon and what’s a 3 axe attack (making the assumption it’s 3 guitars?).  
Spoon is a band. They're a longstanding, guitar-oriented indie band. A three axe attack is three guitars at once, yeah. There's nothing huge about it, just a chance to make some contribution to the boards when what I was thinking about maybe wasn't fitting the topics. The Apollo Masters story is quite a big one, though I'm not sure how to understand properly in my role as music consumer. There are music industry heads very worries about the vinyl industry, which breathed the last gasps of breath in the music industry writ large.

Ministry had this 25 years ago when I saw them. Loudest show ever.

As for excess band members. Nothing compares to George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic. Must have been 40 people up there

As for excess band members. Nothing compares to George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic. Must have been 40 people up there
And 40 more off-stage they couldn't fit. I was backstage at two of their concerts and it was like being at a metro stop when the train pulls up.

I like to do what they like to do...

:headbang:
Not that much of a fun fact.

The video for the April Wine clip linked above was filmed at the same studio (Le Studio in Quebec) where Rush filmed all those Moving Pictures videos (Tom Sawyer/Limelight/Vital Signs).  That album and many others were recorded there. 

Wow. Yeah. I saw them open for the Shins and they were uninvolved, too. It's funny because Britt Daniel is usually so into his performances as something akin to rock God/art and they didn't really do it for me. Perhaps their longevity is dragging on them. Perhaps they're just getting old (my theory) like us. But that night in Santa Ana about three years ago they were stalwart arguments (plural) against rock being dead.
Spoon is my favorite band to listen to but Spoon are not my favorite band to see live...

And 40 more off-stage they couldn't fit. I was backstage at two of their concerts and it was like being at a metro stop when the train pulls up.
by the way, i saw these guys in 1992-93 timeframe in Bremerton WA at a Lollapalooza.   They totally dominated the stage and stole the show.   Was amazing.   I'll never forget it

Spoon is my favorite band to listen to but Spoon are not my favorite band to see live...
Who is, by the way, if you had to have your ultimate show? If you want to do an exercise, name about five or ten favorites, but if you're busy I don't want to dominate your time.

Who is, by the way, if you had to have your ultimate show? If you want to do an exercise, name about five or ten favorites, but if you're busy I don't want to dominate your time.
interrupting, sorry.

best band to listen to:   Smashing Pumpkins

all time worst band live, by a great margin:  Smashing Pumpkins.

interrupting, sorry.

best band to listen to:   Smashing Pumpkins

all time worst band live, by a great margin:  Smashing Pumpkins.
No sweat. I saw them live in '91 when I didn't know all their songs. They weren't bad at the time, but this was a small amiptheater/sports venue, nowhere near the festivals and crowds they'd play in the future.  Now they sound like a three axe attack with all the overdubs and stuff from Billy Corgan. 

Users who are viewing this thread