What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you pack light? Teach me. (1 Viewer)

DA RAIDERS said:
i can fit a week long ski trip, including my ski boots, in my carry on.  patagonia 60L black hole bag.  easily fits in the overhead, even in the little planes that fly into ski towns.

less is more.  i usually do laundry midweek.
A week long ski trip and you can fit everything including SKI BOOTS, of all things, in a carry-on?  Where are you skiing, Mauna Kea on the Big Island?

I tried the cubes, I didn't think they really saved much space.  What works a lot better are large ziplocs, like 10-20 gallon size.  Put your clothes in there and squeeze all the air out and zip up.  Can fit a lot more.  

Yo, seriously, maybe scout a wash & fold place and its proximity to where you'll be. And/or stay at a hotel with coin operated laundry machines. That's an hour well spent some random travel evening: utilizing the outdoor coin-op machines, watching three sports centers in a row on your queen-sized bed with your last change of clothes on, and then boom - wake up to a brand new, fresh & folded suitcase. *For best results, practice this method in your home for up to a week before departing

Rule 1-Never check luggage. 

Rule 2- accept any sacrifices to not violate rule 1.
This is also key. I’m always astonished at the checkers. I go on one and two week business trips without checking. The only and only time I will check is traveling with my family and small kids, little choice there. But on my own?  Only a fancy Nancy checks his luggage. 

This is also key. I’m always astonished at the checkers. I go on one and two week business trips without checking. The only and only time I will check is traveling with my family and small kids, little choice there. But on my own?  Only a fancy Nancy checks his luggage. 
I love checking bags.  More space, you don't have to fight people for space in the overhead (especially the idiots who feel it's necessary to stand up IMMEDIATELY when the plane lands), it's sometimes cheaper to check a bag if your airline is charging for carry-ons, you have the ability to check items that you can't put in your carry-on, etc etc etc. 

A week long ski trip and you can fit everything including SKI BOOTS, of all things, in a carry-on?  Where are you skiing, Mauna Kea on the Big Island?
 everything i wear on the mountain, is in the bag.  plus a few t-shirts, socks, lounge wear for in the condo, bathing suit, etc.  i'm wearing the only pair of pants i'll bring, plus long sleeve shirt, jacket, on the plane.  helmet is clipped to the outside of the bag.  anything small enough is shoved into the ski boots.  there's plenty of room.  iPad is in there too.

eoMMan said:
I'm an admitted over packer.  I pack extra underware, different shoes JUST IN CASE something comes (running sneakers, sandals, dressier shoes, etc.), too much in general.

Help me stop.

Any tips on packing light?

Let's say you are traveling to a northern US state for 6 days...what do you pack?
Yeah, shoes kill me as well.  Need at least 5 pairs for most trips :style: 

I love checking bags.  More space, you don't have to fight people for space in the overhead (especially the idiots who feel it's necessary to stand up IMMEDIATELY when the plane lands), it's sometimes cheaper to check a bag if your airline is charging for carry-ons, you have the ability to check items that you can't put in your carry-on, etc etc etc. 
Ya.  You just get to fight the jagweeds at the luggage terminal.  :)

FBGs fly first class or premium cabin, there is always overhead bin space.  I love being able to grab my checked bag and walk directly to the car/uber/etc.  It's worth the trouble to me.  Now, that said...  on a big trip or like we did for the holidays, on the return flight we will sometimes need to buy a cheap bag for souvenirs and it gets checked.  Wanted to be transparent there. 

If I'm flying direct I'll never check. 

However, if I have connections you've lost your mind if you think I'm dragging that bag through the airport, babysitting it on the ground next to me at the bar/restaurant, etc. Let Delta Handle that.

I have free checked bags on pretty much every airline so that's not a factor. 

If I'm flying direct I'll never check. 

However, if I have connections you've lost your mind if you think I'm dragging that bag through the airport, babysitting it on the ground next to me at the bar/restaurant, etc. Let Delta Handle that.

I have free checked bags on pretty much every airline so that's not a factor. 
Gate check ftw.

Is the issue that you dont want to bring too much or that it doesnt fit in your bag?

We went on a 2 week trip to Europe and my wife bought something called packing cubes. I had never heard of them and laughed at her. HOWEVER, like with most other things she does, it turned out to be brilliant. I was able to pack double what I usually would be able to AND nothing was wrinkled. Im not sure the science behind it but it was awesome.

That doesnt help you if you just dont want to pack as much. In that case, just dont pack that much. HTH
So those packing cubes work huh. No wrinkles either???  I may have to get some. 

Users who are viewing this thread