What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☠ It Was 50 Years Ago Today, Iommi Taught The Metal Heads To Play ☠ (1 Viewer)

by the way, that first album is one of the greatest albums ever recorded for three reasons.   Quality of sound mixing/recording, style of music and quality of the songs themselves.
i've grown to love it/spin it more than "Paranoid" ... the eponymous title track i linked, "N.I.B.", "The Wizard", etc 

to me, it's the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" of albums ... it exploded a genre into areas previously uncharted, with visceral creativity and morbidly brilliant production and craftsmanship.  it really does have a claustrophobic menace coursing through it that i've yet to hear equaled ... and, given the era if it's release, nothing comes close. 

i got sucked into a youtube rabbit hole about Black Sabbath last night.  watch this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci8DLvUF13o
good lookin' out, gonna catch this on the train ride home  :thumbup:

btw, i'm a huge fan of Goth ... back in the day i was very Goth - steeped in Gothness - i was fond of being ensconced in black velvet, and pi$$ed cobwebs ... and that title track is the more Goth than Bauhaus hanging out in Christian Death's basement jamming to Sex Gang Children while watching a Specimen video. 

💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

it was recorded in like 12 hours or something.   The story goes when they first started out they'd play 8 shows a day at a club, for 45 minutes each set.   they only had like 8 songs, so they would just jam out and extend each song to 45 minutes.   All of the first album and most of the 2nd album came out of this jamming experience.   Ozzy would just make up gibberish lyrics and sing a melody live.   When they went to put the songs down on paper, Geezer wrote most of the lyrics at that point, using Ozzy's melody lines.  Geezer says even though Ozzy couldn't play music, his ability to create a melody on the fly, live, was genius and totally integral to the band's stardom

ps-   they also had no say in the sound mixing, recording  because none of them knew anything about how to do it.   

btw, i'm a huge fan of Goth ... back in the day i was very Goth - steeped in Gothness - i was fond of being ensconced in black velvet, and pi$$ed cobwebs ... and that title track is the more Goth than Bauhaus hanging out in Christian Death's basement jamming to Sex Gang Children while watching a Specimen video. 

💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀
Cheer up, otb! 😀

My favorite is bit of finger, sleeping village. The change in the song about 1/3 way through when it goes mostly quiet then this piercing guitar solo kicks in is one of the better song transitions of that or any era

tommyboy said:
My favorite is bit of finger
The whole Bit of Finger/Sleeping Village/Warning is great, but love that opening instrumental even more given that it references Iommi's accident where he lost the tips of two of his fingers on his chording hand. 

Also love the use of slapback echo across that trilogy. And I think I recall something about the band registering Bit of Finger with ASCAP separately as its own song to try and make twice the royalties whenever it was played. 

I'm not being snarky when I say I'm thrilled you changed the spelling in the title. I own no shares of Mr. Iommi nor his oeuvre, but it was drivin' me nuts. Good work.

Great band, by the way. I sort of begin with Paranoid, but I'm willing to give this a total listen. 

I'm not being snarky when I say I'm thrilled you changed the spelling in the title. I own no shares of Mr. Iommi nor his oeuvre, but it was drivin' me nuts. Good work.
:unsure:

'member how i told ya my mind zooms 1,000,000 mph faster than my fingers?  WALA!  i gets carried away, man ...

Great band, by the way. I sort of begin with Paranoid, but I'm willing to give this a total listen. 
would hazard to guess that Paranoid was the gateway drug for the great majority, myself included ... worthy of all the praise, as well ... but, just like "Rocket to Russia" may be the better overall album as opposed to "The Ramones", nothing matches the gut punch of the original drop by either group ... i'm a suckah for genre defining debuts.  

just like "Rocket to Russia" may be the better overall album as opposed to "The Ramones", nothing matches the gut punch of the original drop by either group ... i'm a suckah for genre defining debuts.  
I'm a bigger fan of The Ramones's eponymous, too. What a shock to the system that must have been. I know my ninth/tenth grade ears rung when I heard it.

All I know is that I still listen to a lot of Black Sabbath.  It is dark and menacing and beautiful.   Love the Dio version too.  

Released 2/13/70

still the most menacing sounding #### i've ever heard ... musta scared the bejeezus outta those hippie bastids back in the day  :headbang:

of course, the great "WHEN WAS METAL OFFICIALLY BORN?" debate can rage on all around it, but the modern template was laid down on this album, imo.  

50 years, huh?

:popcorn:
Don't let someone talk you into Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Alice Cooper, or Uriah Heep. Black Sabbath singlehandedly invented metal in 1970. 

BS does sound so heavy and dark.  There have certainly been heavier bands since Sabbath but that Sabbath sound is magical.   I’m not sure today’s technology helps today’s bands that are after that sound.  The digital effects don’t allow for the slightly muddy sound and creates a little separation in the music.   

BS does sound so heavy and dark.  There have certainly been heavier bands since Sabbath but that Sabbath sound is magical.   I’m not sure today’s technology helps today’s bands that are after that sound.  The digital effects don’t allow for the slightly muddy sound and creates a little separation in the music.   
:goodposting:

Released 2/13/70

still the most menacing sounding #### i've ever heard ... musta scared the bejeezus outta those hippie bastids back in the day :headbang:

of course, the great "WHEN WAS METAL OFFICIALLY BORN?" debate can rage on all around it, but the modern template was laid down on this album, imo.

50 years, huh?

:popcorn:

Happy 75th Birthday to this riff ripping maestro extraordinaire - that debut track still f****** hits so hard.

easily in my top 5 tunes from the British Isles.

Enjoy yer cake, Anthony 🤘

I don't listen to Sabbath much these days, but those first six albums are still all beastly, and there are a lot of days where I think the debut is the best. Awesome from start to finish.

i'll take that debut platter to any deserted island that'll have me - and i'd be quite ok with it.

Users who are viewing this thread