What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the most famous person you have ever met? (1 Viewer)

Honus

Footballguy
And by ‘met’ I mean, exchanged words with – meaning both of you spoke to each other. 

Bonus points for shaking hands or touching in some other intimate way.

A bunch of politicos. I had a brief door hold/handshake with the Iron Lady, Margaret Thatcher.

Mike Bossy I met at the old Nassau Coliseum when I was five or so.

I waited on alot of famous people when I worked at the Omni Hotel at CNN center. I guess Jane Fonda and/or Ted Turner was probably the most famous? TLC, Billy Dee Williams? I did speak to Pat Benatar on the phone when i was about 9 or 10. I had a huuuuge crush, so that was a big one for me.

Rode an elevator with a group of Chicago Bulls at the Hilton in Minneapolis in 2002.  Ron Artest, Tyson Chandler, and Eddy Curry.  Most surreal moment of my life.  I'm 6'5".  That was the only time I've ever felt short in my life.  Got them to sign the hat I was wearing.(lost that hat years ago in one of my moves unfortunately).

Also got to exchange hellos with Mila Kunis in line at security at LAX in 2009.  She's even hotter in person than on screen FYI.

A few.  Lester Maddox at the  GA State Fair in Atlanta in the early 70s. He was selling autographed axe handles.    Darrell Evans at a Braves game; signed my glove, 1972. Buddy Ebsen at a play (Midsummer Night's Dream) in Los Angeles, maybe 1973.  John McCain at McCarran on my way home from Las Vegas, Super Bowl XXXVII.

Perhaps most memorable were Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward in Savannah , 1982 or 1983.  I was their waiter and spent a couple hours with them.  We talked about his food line, which then was just salad dressings, and his racing days.  A very friendy couple.

Last edited by a moderator:
I waited on alot of famous people when I worked at the Omni Hotel at CNN center. I guess Jane Fonda and/or Ted Turner was probably the most famous? TLC, Billy Dee Williams? I did speak to Pat Benatar on the phone when i was about 9 or 10. I had a huuuuge crush, so that was a big one for me.

That's the winner. All three of them? Super attractive?

Sat behind Lyle Lovett on a flight a couple of years ago. I had to talk to him when we landed because ... because I LOVE Lyle Lovett. I was an idiot. I wish I could have that conversation back. He was super nice.

George Lucas, Kathy Kennedy, John Favreau, Ang Lee and Guillermo del Toro. (Not all at the same time) in special effects/movie related conversations. 

I've worked with some real big folk in the music industry, it's hard for me to quantify the general public's opinion on to who is more famous. I'd guess the answer is Michael Jackson but I did way more work with Madonna and she is right up there. Some of my friends would say LL as he's made the transition to mainstream TV and movies.

Lamar Hunt, Ed Podolak and Jan Stenerud after a Chiefs Chargers game in San Diego when I was 12.   

Golfed with Andy Macdonald. At same event, talked to Paul Kariya in the dinner line for 20 minutes. Several times have talked with Teemu Selanne and Brian burke.  

Was a guest on Pete Rose's radio show in early 90'a after he opened his Boca Raton restaurant and did his show from there.  

Sat next to Dennis Phillip's in a charity poker event.  About 10 hands in we both decided to go all in blind.  We both had 7 3 off.  Lol.   

Talked a lot of hockey with Negreanu last year in the wsop 3k horse. We played about 3 hours together.  

I'm usually in 100% silence mode regarding these things. It's only when I'm buzzed/drunk that I share. I have a great Madonna story that happened the first night I met her when I was 17. I'm out for now to protect all that were involved.

Rode an elevator with a group of Chicago Bulls at the Hilton in Minneapolis in 2002.  Ron Artest, Tyson Chandler, and Eddy Curry.  Most surreal moment of my life.  I'm 6'5".  That was the only time I've ever felt short in my life.  Got them to sign the hat I was wearing.(lost that hat years ago in one of my moves unfortunately).

Also got to exchange hellos with Mila Kunis in line at security at LAX in 2009.  She's even hotter in person than on screen FYI.
:wub:  

Maybe the only woman I’d cheat on Mrs O with. #sorrynotsorry

Having run a popular restaurant/bar/nightclub in downtown San Diego for a long time I’ve met more then I can count. MJ, John Madden, Dennis Rodman (hung out after hours and drank beers with him), ect etc.  But the 3 times that stand out the most.  Barkley, Marcus Allen and Terrell Davis all came in for dinner one night and I chatted them up for a while, they were super cool. And the second time I was in a conversation with Jerry Rice, David Wells and Leeann Tweeden just tripping out about how gorgeous she was and how cool Jerry was.  The third time I spend a few hours having dinner with Dan Aykroyd and his people when his vodka first came out.  His team was pitching us to carry it.  That was fun.  

Through work have met, talked to Beyoncé, Jimmy Fallon, Trent Reznor, and Kayne West well it was Kanye’s buddy and Kayne just looked at his phone the whole time but I could tell he was listening.

Oh and @AAABatteries Who tried to electrocute me while surrounded by Mariachi bands and @waiver wire who didn’t try and kill me.

Saw Malcolm Gladwell this morning at a hotel Starbucks. We did not discuss anything.

I'm usually in 100% silence mode regarding these things. It's only when I'm buzzed/drunk that I share. I have a great Madonna story that happened the first night I met her when I was 17. I'm out for now to protect all that were involved.
It's not Ms. Oats safe

John Melencamp's son Hud was in the same class as my daughter for a couple of years in elementary school, he was eventually kicked out.  Had a birthday party and talked to him briefly.  He also came to school on occasions and played songs for the class.  He ex-wife elaine was gorgeous.  

I played blackjack in Vegas at with Cindy Crawford (Mirage) and David Schwimmer (Harah's), no conversation..   Talked breifly to Paula Abdual who was on the same flight as my mom and graciously signed autographs for everyone on the plane who wanted one.  I had lunch with the old dude who was an original judge on Dancing with the Stars in Monaco, he was on the same cruise.  Open the door for Don King at the Mirage as I was leaving. 

had dinner with James "Mad dog" Mattis right after he retired from the Marine corps. I was attending a symposium at Duke where he was speaking. There were 8 of us at the table, he was on the opposite side but we all had a decent conversation before his speech. 

Before the dinner I was having a beer with a friend and one of the retired general officers who was on CNN a lot at the time came up to us and chatted us up, paid for our drinks. Nice enough guy but I don't remember his name. 

I didn't meet him really, but shook hands with President Clinton as we were pulling crowd security in college. 

Our daughter has shot commercials with Marlo Thomas and her brother Tony Thomas. She's been in commercials with Jennifer Aniston and Michael Strahan - but those were shot in different locations. :( My wife knows if she shoots a commercial with Jennifer, I'm there. 

Through work have met, talked to Beyoncé, Jimmy Fallon, Trent Reznor, and Kayne West well it was Kanye’s buddy and Kayne just looked at his phone the whole time but I could tell he was listening.

Oh and @AAABatteries Who tried to electrocute me while surrounded by Mariachi bands and @waiver wire who didn’t try and kill me.

Saw Malcolm Gladwell this morning at a hotel Starbucks. We did not discuss anything.
so I didn't try to kill you and I didn't get the mexico city invite . my Canadian manners screwed me again 

met Kenny  rogers and wayne newton when I was younger in the horse business

had beers with tom Arnold at the Vancouver grizzlies home opener
drank beers with john kordic in a dive bar in Edmonton
drank beers with the dr hook band on their bus while my gf did rails with them
played ball hockey against cliff ronning and petr nedved 
partied  with nickleback before they became famous 
there were other bands in the 90's that I drank with but very blurry 

President Clinton.  He spoke at a conference one of my former employers hosts annually.  Shook his hand and spoke for about 20 seconds.

Mayor Pete.  Used to work in the same office, 13 years ago.

And by ‘met’ I mean, exchanged words with – meaning both of you spoke to each other. 

Bonus points for shaking hands or touching in some other intimate way.
Shared an elevator with Carl Lewis and took room service to Monica Seles.  Followed Kevin Costner through a door at a party and made him do a double-take as he tried to figure out how we knew each other (we didn't).  And ignored a few people along the way because I figured they would prefer it that way.  There aren't many people I'd care about meeting though, so none of these left much of a mark.

But I had a chance to shake hands with Nelson Mandela once upon a time and that was incredibly cool.  In less than 5 seconds you could feel his power and charisma.  Just different than anyone else I've ever been around even briefly.

Once sat on a curb With Gwen Stefani after a show for 20 mins drinking a Heineken. Super cool chick.

They had opened for 311 on the Tragic Kingdom tour (Just a Girl was just breaking), so she was peak sexy Gwen. 

I was sitting behind the venue with a buddy, waiting to meet up with PNut and SA to smoke a J. Gwen came out of the backstage door with Tony (bassist and then BF I think?), looked over and asked if I minded if she joined. Of course not. 

She was in some leather pants, crop top of some sort and a long ### feathery coat thing. Flopped down, bummed a light. They had a REALLY nice Prevost tour bus, and Tony was going in. Asked if she wanted a beer, yeah. She asked if we wanted one, sure. He came back out with 3 Heinekens then went back into the bus. 

So we just sat there bull####ting. Complimented their show. Chatted about whatever came up for 15-20 mins. Could not have been a more laid back chick. I had no idea who they were at the time, so I wasn't fawning any more than that she was drop dead gorgeous. 

Then the guys from 311 came out, so I thanked Gwen for the beer, hopped up, and walked back to their bus to go smoke. 

Also Hung with Dave Matthews after shooting this video of him back in 1994. Also a super laid back guy. Was hitting on my GF (5'0", 96lbs, E Cup, Indian descent (olive skin, long straight brown hair)). 

Larry Wilcox from CHiPS (drunk and belligerent next to me on flight)

Chip Davis of Mannheim Steamroller (also sat next to on flight)

Barry Bostwick of Rocky Horror (Brad), Spin City, and tons of other stuff. He made fun of me for going to a Padres game.  :lol:  At 6’ 4”, the guy doesn’t fit in a coach seat very well. 

Just met Kate Flannery of The Office.  Brought my wife to the Dancing with the Stars tour and we had a meet and greet package, so I got my picture taken with her (arm around her for the purposes of the OP).  My wife chatted with the "pros" for a minute, so I exchanged comments with Kate about how great The Office was.  My boys were pretty jealous, as they are huge fans of the show.

Met William "Refrigerator" Perry at an auto show back in the 80s.  Dude has hands the size of a bear paw.  Not sure if we exchanged words, so I'm not sure how much that counts.

The most intimate famous person would be Joey Belladonna, former (again?) lead singer of Anthrax.  A guy I used to hang out with promoted shows in the area, and was a metal fan.  He brought Joey to town a few times for his solo shows.  Went out to eat with him a couple times before shows.  One time we even got him back to this guys house where we all played Halo (he had 6 or 8 TVs with Xboxes and we would have gaming nights all the time).  Joey played some games with us one night.

Donovan McNabb. He lives here and his daughter was on the same softball team as mine. He was an assistant coach and would help in practice when he could but ended up missing alot with work. Friendly guy. Huge. Chatted about football off and on. 

Sat at the same table with Bob Seger at a wedding. We were in the seats right next to each other. Segers wife was in the wedding so he was basically by himself.  We talked all night as he sipped jack on the rocks.  Way before Iphones.    My buddies wife and Segers second wife grew up together so at the wedding my buddy said I will sit Bob at your table.

When I tell this story I always said around 10pm Bob grabbed the mike from the DJ and screamed "Just take those old records off the shelf"   People say "really he sang?"    I just laugh and say hell no.

Brett Michaels, C.C. Deville, Rikki Rockett, Bobby Dall - rode an elevator with them in a Detroit hotel then proceeded to drink with them and their entourage at the hotel bar.

Molly Shannon - I went to school with her...yes, it was a Catholic grade school

Brad Sellers - His daughter played basketball with my son on a travel team for a few years.  Now I see him around at high school games and other events.  I talk to him frequently.

Bernie Kosar - My neighbor is good friends with him, So our paths have crossed on a number of occasions.

I can tell you a story about the most famous person I didn’t meet that to this day still bugs me...

In 2000, the SuperBowl was held in Atlanta.  You may remember it was plagued by an ice storm and as such, the crowds around SB Week festivities were a bit muted.  By an old friend was in town as he had gotten married to a woman who worked for NFL Security.  As such, he was able to get certain access passes to SB Week events, in fact he had two.  So my wife and I make it down to meet up with him, but since he has two, he can only take us one at a time to this one particular area which was being held at the Marriott Marquis.  Long story short, I go with him...do the walkabout,  nothing memorable.  He takes my wife down - she meets Muhammad Ali.  Grrrr!

Two years later, my daughter had been born.  My in-laws have her.  They’re picking their son up at Hartsfield...I don’t remember what special dispensation they were able to get to meet him/his family at the gate since this was after 9/11 (both my father and brother in-law are ex-military...that might have had something to do with it).  Well, while they’re waiting...who should come walking past them, but Muhammad Ali.  He sees my in-laws with my infant daughter and walks to them.  He’s long been diagnosed with Parkinson’s and so doesn’t even ask my in-laws, simply reaches out his arms to hold my daughter, which they oblige.  The encounter doesn’t last more than 10 seconds...and given its before the era of smartphones and omnipresent camera/video, they didn’t get a pic...

But my wife met him, and my daughter was held by Muhammad Ali...and I got bupkus.

I've had bizarre encounters with famous people.

One of the oddest was accidentally interrupting a speech by former president Gerald Ford at the bottom of a ski run in Colorado.

I saw a group listening to a speaker as me and a buddy were going up the lift when my friend said.

"Hey look.  Gerald Ford is under the lift giving a speech."

I twisted to the right then to the left looking back and said.

"WHERE?"

Just as I said that I saw Ford who had stopped his speech and he looked at me for about three seconds in silence. The entire audience stopped and looked up at me before I turned back saying.

"Cool."

At that point Ford snapped out of it and so did his audience and he continued his speech.  

It was really odd and random but that  wasn't nearly as odd as the encounter I had with the most famous director in the world when I met him by accident in a roadside diner in Montana.  Will tell that one if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread