What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Airline passengers that recline their seat (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Personally I think it's rude to do this given how little space there is on planes now and it's getting less and less every year.  I know, I know, but the the passenger has that right to recline their seat.  I think all airlines should make seats that don't recline, except for first class where they have the room.

Here is an incident that occurred on American Airlines and woman wants to sue the guy behind her punching her seat and wants the flight attendant fired.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/american-airlines-passenger-press-charges-attendant-fired

I saw something online once where you can get a device and slip it on the seat in front of you to prevent it from reclining.  The passenger would just think the seat is defective.  

This is so clearly not debatable. 

Yes it’s rude and crappy to do. Shows little regard for others. 

But you also can’t fault the person in front of you for doing it. The gosh darn seat reclines. It is designed to do that. The power dooshs punching the back of the seat is the biggest loser on the planet.  The lady is awful too. 

But in the end, the right answer is that it’s crummy to recline, but you can’t go bananas over it if someone does it. End thread. 

Always wondered about the design itself. Why can’t the seat be designed so it impacts the leg room of the person wishing to decline instead of the person behind him/her? (Ex. Move the reclining seat forward, not the seat back backwards)

Always wondered about the design itself. Why can’t the seat be designed so it impacts the leg room of the person wishing to decline instead of the person behind him/her? (Ex. Move the reclining seat forward, not the seat back backwards)
They can, but it is easier and cheaper just to have the back tilt back.  

Of course it's ok to recline your seat, not sure how this can this even be an argument.  If someone reclines in front of you, you can recline your seat for more room. If you're the last seat in the plane, that's just tough luck. Get a better seat next time.

The way the seats in most airplanes are currently designed, my back starts aching after about 20 minutes in the upright position. Moving the to reclined position gives proper support and keeps my back from aching. So, I'll recline. And I've never really cared if the person in front of me reclines either. Unless you're 7ft. tall I don't see how the person in front of you impacts your leg room.

The way the seats in most airplanes are currently designed, my back starts aching after about 20 minutes in the upright position. Moving the to reclined position gives proper support and keeps my back from aching. So, I'll recline. And I've never really cared if the person in front of me reclines either. Unless you're 7ft. tall I don't see how the person in front of you impacts your leg room.
Don’t pretend they don’t invade your space and greatly reduce the amount of space you have.  Especially if you’re using the tray. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably too expensive to retrofit older planes, but new ones shouldn’t recline.
You wouldn't have to replace the seats.  Just rip on the button or lever that makes the seat recline.   Or disconnect the mechanism underneath the seat.   

It’s not the legs it’s the upper body they are invading.  It makes reading harder and makes use of the tray almost impossible 

Idk

All the flights I've taken (50?) It's barely a noticeable amount. No issues using the tray and the screen on the seat in front also adjusts to even out
I suppose you're in the minority on this one.  It does make it seem a lot more cramped on most airlines.  Sounds like you like to recliine ;)

This is so clearly not debatable. 

Yes it’s rude and crappy to do. Shows little regard for others. 

But you also can’t fault the person in front of you for doing it. The gosh darn seat reclines. It is designed to do that. The power dooshs punching the back of the seat is the biggest loser on the planet.  The lady is awful too. 

But in the end, the right answer is that it’s crummy to recline, but you can’t go bananas over it if someone does it. End thread. 
All of this.

On the rare occasion I get stuck in coach with the rest of you farm animals, I’ll recline about half way. Just enough to allow it to feel like I’m not leaning forward.

I don’t really care if the person in front of me reclines. Can’t blame them for using a provided feature of the seat.

On the rare occasion I get stuck in coach with the rest of you farm animals, I’ll recline about half way. Just enough to allow it to feel like I’m not leaning forward.

I don’t really care if the person in front of me reclines. Can’t blame them for using a provided feature of the seat.
The feature needs to be removed.  Or buy that device to prevent the seat from reclining.  That would be cool.

Don’t pretend they don’t invade your space and greatly reduce the amount of space you have.  Especially if you’re using the tray. 
All is want is a heads up you are going to recline so I can move my laptop or not be reaching under the seat when you come flying back. And don’t give me a dirty look if I accidentally bump you trying to get out to go to the bathroom.

I’m 6’4”. The normal seating position actually hurts my whole body. I’m still not going to be a Johnson to the person behind me. 
it's actually situational for me...if I see a guy on his laptop or most bigger dudes in general, I won't recline.

If I see a kid or a situation where the recline doesn't impact them, I"ll recline.

Most of the time I just try to fly first class to avoid this altogether(look at me)

I’m 6 foot and don’t recline but it’s not even debatable for me who was in the wrong here.  

Recline or not that dude does that to me and we’re going to jail. Gotta believe he doesn’t do that if it wasn’t an older woman sitting there.  

A lot of the newer seats do slide forward under the seat in front of you. It sucks.

it's actually situational for me...if I see a guy on his laptop or most bigger dudes in general, I won't recline.

If I see a kid or a situation where the recline doesn't impact them, I"ll recline.

Most of the time I just try to fly first class to avoid this altogether(look at me)
That’s fair. Yeah I’m sure I’ve reclined at times. Usually just because the person in front of me has and I’m otherwise with my forehead pressed against the seat in front of me. 

Sometimes you need it. I try not to but if I need that little change I’ll do it. I understand if the person in front of me does it. 

Flying sucks. 

I’m 6’4”. The normal seating position actually hurts my whole body. I’m still not going to be a Johnson to the person behind me. 
6'4" also.    I never put seat back.   

I do get the exit row about 90 percent of the time on southwest so my knees aren't jammed into the seat in front of me. 

I think @kutta just called me a farm animal because I mostly fly southwest.  

I'm flying right now.   Was thinking of leaning back right now , but I dont want my grand daughter to have a melt down.  

When I read there was punching, that is not what I expected :lmao:   :boxing:  

I mean the guy is still a doosh, but to call that punching, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

I mean the guy is still a doosh, but to call that punching, that's a bit of an exaggeration.
It was hugely dooshy. I’d actually have had more respect for him if he closed fist clocked someone. 

People who recline on a coach flight of less than 3 hours are garbage, and I’ve had the occasion to tell them that more than once. Usually I’m upgraded so not a problem. But recline on someone over 6 feet at your own peril. 
This is a little extreme. I dont recline because i just prefer being upright, but if i liked being reclined better, I would recline. 

Southwest reclines two inches at the top. Thats pretty much all I fly. I cant even notice the difference when the person in front if me is reclined, with the exception being if i have my laptop open. Then i notice the screen angle is off. 

My wife is 6 feet tall with a 38 inch inseam. Her knees dont even hit the seat in front of her if it is reclined. 

I love how she's claiming that she was assaulted.  Another article said that she's claiming physical injuries on top of it.    This lady sounds like a nightmare.  

People who recline on a coach flight of less than 3 hours are garbage, and I’ve had the occasion to tell them that more than once. Usually I’m upgraded so not a problem. But recline on someone over 6 feet at your own peril. 
Just curious how does that convo go bc if someone asked me not to recline I’d wonder what their problem was.

Users who are viewing this thread