Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

I guess I'm on another social media platform.  I now see what all the fuss is about.  Should really help me cut back on my YouTube time.

:bag:

fun place to see some fun ladies doing some fun things. 

wish we could post some. 

:kicksrock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

fun place to see some fun ladies doing some fun things. 

wish we could post some. 

:kicksrock:

I’ll take a PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My almost 9 year old downloaded this when an annoying bad influence friend was over.  Whatever she was doing on it was harmless enough, but, over objections and fighting and crying, I deleted it.  In part because she's posting videos of herself online and chatting with people (supposedly her classmates, but still), and moreso because of the following: Mrs. O apparently set it so it's "closed" and strangers can't see or comment on her stuff, and O kid made some comment about "why don't I get any comments or likes on my videos?"  You can see how totally screwed up social media can make kids, even starting before their teens. 

So yeah, that was a quick hard delete for me.  

Edited by Otis
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I’ll take a PM

as per usual in these cases, teh Redditz is your friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Otis said:

My almost 9 year old downloaded this when an annoying bad influence friend was over.  Whatever she was doing on it was harmless enough, but, over objections and fighting and crying, I deleted it.  In part because she's posting videos of herself online and chatting with people (supposedly her classmates, but still), and moreso because of the following: Mrs. O apparently set it so it's "closed" and strangers can't see or comment on her stuff, and O kid made some comment about "why don't I get any comments or likes on my videos?"  You can see how totally screwed up social media can make kids, even starting before their teens. 

So yeah, that was a quick hard delete for me.  

This is scary, and it's like your fighting a losing battle.  Everywhere you turn there are people promoting "influencers" and how great they are.  Understandably, kids want to be like whomever is popular.  So basically, you have become the only thing stopping them from becoming tiktok famous.  Then when they aren't famous by 15, they are going to be blaming you for not videotaping them opening toys at a young age.  That's when they start planning to hard delete you!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

My 10 year old just downloaded this too.

Hard delete.  "Go read a book, kid."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

This is scary, and it's like your fighting a losing battle.  Everywhere you turn there are people promoting "influencers" and how great they are.  Understandably, kids want to be like whomever is popular.  So basically, you have become the only thing stopping them from becoming tiktok famous.  Then when they aren't famous by 15, they are going to be blaming you for not videotaping them opening toys at a young age.  That's when they start planning to hard delete you!

I blame myself for not videotaping my kids opening toys at a young age!

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a bad idea for your kids to use this unsupervised. The whole phone thing in general is really getting out of control with the current crop of high schoolers. A significant portion of them can’t go 1 minute without looking at it. It’s a huge headache as a teacher.

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don’t even let our 10 year old have a phone.  He has a gizmo gadget which can call us or others.

I think 12 is the earliest we would even consider it, and even then social media sites are a hard no.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter has been doing this for years. Started back when it was musically. So stupid. We try to ruin her videos every chance we have just because it annoys her so much. 

  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Definitely a bad idea for your kids to use this unsupervised. The whole phone thing in general is really getting out of control with the current crop of high schoolers. A significant portion of them can’t go 1 minute without looking at it. It’s a huge headache as a teacher.

They can look at phones in class? Figured they had to go into a basket or something. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Capella said:

They can look at phones in class? Figured they had to go into a basket or something. 

The kids have too much control now. That's why teachers are leaving the profession in droves. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Capella said:

They can look at phones in class? Figured they had to go into a basket or something. 

I've seen varying policies but the issue I know many teachers have is that if the teachers take the kids phones and one is damaged or comes up missing (or the kid claims it has gone missing which I've seen) then the teacher is responsible for it. Most teachers aren't interested in being financially responsible for $1000 phones. $300 air pods, $500 apple watches, Nintedo DS, etc. It's a fight to get the kids to take their air pods out ("the volume is low so I can still hear", "I only have one in", etc). Plus I've seen some kids who will just flat out refuse to turn it in, they lie about not having it, etc. Also it can be a mixed bad on how much support the teacher gets from the parents. I have seen some teachers who are just done with fighting it at the high school level and just let the kids use them however they want. Some kids will just sit through math class playing video games or watching movies through the whole class. They aren't good teachers but I also understand how fighting it day after day becomes not worth it. You let the parents know it is an issue and if the parents keep sending the kid to school with it, then so be it. 

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The kids have too much control now. That's why teachers are leaving the profession in droves. 

It's very much turned into a service industry where the customer is always right. The wealthier the school district, the worse problem. Where I work, we've basically stopped arguing with parents and just let them have almost whatever they want. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, funniest part is that the mostly likely people the kids are texting with are their parents. Parents will text with their kids all day long. Sometimes, a kid gets scolded in class about something and 2 minutes later, the parent is calling the class or sending an email asking the teacher yelled at their kid. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Also, funniest part is that the mostly likely people the kids are texting with are their parents. Parents will text with their kids all day long. Sometimes, a kid gets scolded in class about something and 2 minutes later, the parent is calling the class or sending an email asking the teacher yelled at their kid. 

This needs to be taken back. My brother doesn't deal with this in his classrooms, largely because the kids aren't as wealthy, one assumes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids school has no phones all day long.   :shrug:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

This needs to be taken back. My brother doesn't deal with this in his classrooms, largely because the kids aren't as wealthy, one assumes. 

Some teachers are better than others at dealing with it. I don't have my own classroom now- I am more in a role of supporting teachers and students. It adds a lot of extra work to the job, that is for sure. No kid wants to hear a 10 minute explanation of the causes of the Great Depression or a brief video on the formation of the periodic table or anything like that. It's too boring and they are used to having any song, video, game, etc. at their fingertips their whole lives. Who cares about Whitman when you can take selfies? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, culdeus said:

My kids school has no phones all day long.   :shrug:

How is it enforced? My former school did that by taking phones and the parents having to come pick them up. After awhile administration was so sick of being yelled at about it, they gave up enforcing the rule. I am sure where I work at now is going to try something next year. Not sure what though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Some teachers are better than others at dealing with it. I don't have my own classroom now- I am more in a role of supporting teachers and students. It adds a lot of extra work to the job, that is for sure. No kid wants to hear a 10 minute explanation of the causes of the Great Depression or a brief video on the formation of the periodic table or anything like that. It's too boring and they are used to having any song, video, game, etc. at their fingertips their whole lives. Who cares about Whitman when you can take selfies? 

Yeah, I remember that you don't have your own. There's major trouble coming then with respect to history and basic cultural learning shared experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I've seen varying policies but the issue I know many teachers have is that if the teachers take the kids phones and one is damaged or comes up missing (or the kid claims it has gone missing which I've seen) then the teacher is responsible for it. Most teachers aren't interested in being financially responsible for $1000 phones. $300 air pods, $500 apple watches, Nintedo DS, etc. It's a fight to get the kids to take their air pods out ("the volume is low so I can still hear", "I only have one in", etc). Plus I've seen some kids who will just flat out refuse to turn it in, they lie about not having it, etc. Also it can be a mixed bad on how much support the teacher gets from the parents. I have seen some teachers who are just done with fighting it at the high school level and just let the kids use them however they want. Some kids will just sit through math class playing video games or watching movies through the whole class. They aren't good teachers but I also understand how fighting it day after day becomes not worth it. You let the parents know it is an issue and if the parents keep sending the kid to school with it, then so be it. 

It's very much turned into a service industry where the customer is always right. The wealthier the school district, the worse problem. Where I work, we've basically stopped arguing with parents and just let them have almost whatever they want. 

Wow man that’s outrageous. Sorry to hear that. We are an incredibly stupid society. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter is 14 and dances while eating and in the back seat if a car.

Were out and her and her friend go to the bathroom.  I jokingly say. Did you guys go make a tik tok?

....

 

Yea

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Also, funniest part is that the mostly likely people the kids are texting with are their parents. Parents will text with their kids all day long. Sometimes, a kid gets scolded in class about something and 2 minutes later, the parent is calling the class or sending an email asking the teacher yelled at their kid. 

JFC 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rockaction said:

Yeah, I remember that you don't have your own. There's major trouble coming then with respect to history and basic cultural learning shared experience.

and to be fair, my experience is with more at-risk students. I am not working with high achieving or even average students. These are kids who are low level classes due to some combination of academic, behavioral or social problems. However, I hear teachers across the board making many of the same complaints. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Also, funniest part is that the mostly likely people the kids are texting with are their parents. Parents will text with their kids all day long. Sometimes, a kid gets scolded in class about something and 2 minutes later, the parent is calling the class or sending an email asking the teacher yelled at their kid. 

That’s crazy. I never text my kids at school. My 7th grader never brings his phone anyway since he always takes the bus home. My 9th grader mainly texts us to get picked up if he doesn’t have a ride. He will also text if he doesn’t feel well or if he gets a good grade (not our best student). I couldn’t imagine texting him unless it’s a pickup for an appointment/early dismissal.

I definitely think my kids use their phones too much but it’s damn near impossible to keep up on social life without one. That said they are at least big into sports and outside a lot. My 9th grader is actually working out with friends at a another neighborhood gyms right now. He’s clear from his football knee surgery and has really gotten into great shape so hard to complain about phone use when they stay active. We do vacation with 3 other families every summer at the beach and one of my 12 year old’s buddies is on his iPad way too much while most of the boys are at the beach and I know it drives his dad nuts. Being inside all the time on it would worry me way more. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ilov80s said:

and to be fair, my experience is with more at-risk students. I am not working with high achieving or even average students. These are kids who are low level classes due to some combination of academic, behavioral or social problems. However, I hear teachers across the board making many of the same complaints. 

Jeez. That's awful. It's an instant gratification/social media world gone haywire. My brother also sort of has kids that don't do social media; the stepchild that did had problems with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

How is it enforced? My former school did that by taking phones and the parents having to come pick them up. After awhile administration was so sick of being yelled at about it, they gave up enforcing the rule. I am sure where I work at now is going to try something next year. Not sure what though. 

If they show up with a phone on them during the school day they get sent home with the phone.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

Jeez. That's awful. It's an instant gratification/social media world gone haywire. My brother also sort of has kids that don't do social media; the stepchild that did had problems with it.

It is weird. Like if there is a fight in the hallway between 4th and 5th hour, every kid school knows by the middle of 5th hour and by the end of 5th hour, every kid in the school has watched the videos. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, culdeus said:

If they show up with a phone on them during the school day they get sent home with the phone.  

Good that the school can make that work. Parents don't complain about "what if their an emergency?" or "my kid needs to communicate with me after school for transportation?" Also, I am surprised whatever State you live in is cool with that. Most places I know the schools are heavily pressured to reduce suspensions. If you send a kid home, that is a suspension. Schools really aren't supposed to be suspending unless the student is a danger. Where I worked before, we would take phones and make parents come get them. Lots of parents lost their #### about having to leave work early to get the phone or that their kid needed their phone for work that evening, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Good that the school can make that work. Parents don't complain about "what if their an emergency?" or "my kid needs to communicate with me after school for transportation?" Also, I am surprised whatever State you live in is cool with that. Most places I know the schools are heavily pressured to reduce suspensions. If you send a kid home, that is a suspension. Schools really aren't supposed to be suspending unless the student is a danger. Where I worked before, we would take phones and make parents come get them. Lots of parents lost their #### about having to leave work early to get the phone or that their kid needed their phone for work that evening, etc. 

It's a private school and they have a system to deal with things that come up in the day that is quite robust.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, culdeus said:

It's a private school and they have a system to deal with things that come up in the day that is quite robust.  

Oh, well yeah private school. In the end they can just kick anyone out that doesn't want to play by the rules. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Otis said:

My almost 9 year old downloaded this when an annoying bad influence friend was over.  Whatever she was doing on it was harmless enough, but, over objections and fighting and crying, I deleted it.  In part because she's posting videos of herself online and chatting with people (supposedly her classmates, but still), and moreso because of the following: Mrs. O apparently set it so it's "closed" and strangers can't see or comment on her stuff, and O kid made some comment about "why don't I get any comments or likes on my videos?"  You can see how totally screwed up social media can make kids, even starting before their teens. 

So yeah, that was a quick hard delete for me.  

I used to help with our church’s youth group and was driving a car full of mostly girls to an event one time. The entire drive they were discussing Instagram. How many followers each of them had, how many likes their most liked photo had, which poses and types of posts get the most likes, etc. It was fascinating yet made me sick to my stomach because it was clear that social media likes were 100% a social currency. They fawned over the ones that had the most followers and likes and pitied themselves I’d they didn’t. The whole popularity thing was already bad enough growing up, social media has taken it and made it way more public and way more intense. It’s heartbreaking.

Oh, and most of them had an account that their parents knew about where they would post benign stuff, and another account where one can only imagine what’s going on there.

Edited by GroveDiesel
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

I can't believe kids sit through math class playing video games.  Then again, I think we all did that on the TI-83's the games were just terrible.

Oh yeah we tried but in the end the bowling game was so boring that learning about systems of equations was actually able to get my attention. Different story if I could have played Madden and Goldeneye.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stbugs said:

I definitely think my kids use their phones too much but it’s damn near impossible to keep up on social life without one. 

Oh the horror...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Definitely a bad idea for your kids to use this unsupervised. The whole phone thing in general is really getting out of control with the current crop of high schoolers. A significant portion of them can’t go 1 minute without looking at it. It’s a huge headache as a teacher.

I find it crazy when a 4th grader has the latest iPhone A simple flip phone at that age is good enough. Call for ride home or hey going to friends house is all that is needed at that age.I got my first phone at 8th grade but wasn't allowed to have it at school 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I've seen varying policies but the issue I know many teachers have is that if the teachers take the kids phones and one is damaged or comes up missing (or the kid claims it has gone missing which I've seen) then the teacher is responsible for it. Most teachers aren't interested in being financially responsible for $1000 phones. $300 air pods, $500 apple watches, Nintedo DS, etc. It's a fight to get the kids to take their air pods out ("the volume is low so I can still hear", "I only have one in", etc). Plus I've seen some kids who will just flat out refuse to turn it in, they lie about not having it, etc. Also it can be a mixed bad on how much support the teacher gets from the parents. I have seen some teachers who are just done with fighting it at the high school level and just let the kids use them however they want. Some kids will just sit through math class playing video games or watching movies through the whole class. They aren't good teachers but I also understand how fighting it day after day becomes not worth it. You let the parents know it is an issue and if the parents keep sending the kid to school with it, then so be it. 

It's very much turned into a service industry where the customer is always right. The wealthier the school district, the worse problem. Where I work, we've basically stopped arguing with parents and just let them have almost whatever they want. 

It amazes me how difficult this is. Can't the school districts just have a no Phone policy in class or you get sent to detention or something or get a failing grade that day in class? Or hell schools make cases that the kids use in each class their own key and lock put it in there during class they can take them the minute class is over. I know I know money is an issue but there has to be easier fixes. And honestly if I'm a principle and I have a teacher say X Student is being disruptive to my teachers class with the phone I'm bringing the parents in. If the parents don't want to help and it continues to be an issue just tell them their kid isn't welcomed at the school anymore. Parents today have caved way too much to their kids 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Capella said:

Wow man that’s outrageous. Sorry to hear that. We are an incredibly stupid society. 

The kids run the houses these days not the parents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

and to be fair, my experience is with more at-risk students. I am not working with high achieving or even average students. These are kids who are low level classes due to some combination of academic, behavioral or social problems. However, I hear teachers across the board making many of the same complaints. 

My Cousin works at Lower Merion (Kobe's old High School) with at risk students. Most social issues like autistic and other things. They have similar problems with kids and phones. It's hard because if you do anything then you get a parent yelling and even threatening to lawyer up on the entire district so they just let the kids run wild on their devices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DJackson10 said:

It amazes me how difficult this is. Can't the school districts just have a no Phone policy in class or you get sent to detention or something or get a failing grade that day in class? Or hell schools make cases that the kids use in each class their own key and lock put it in there during class they can take them the minute class is over. I know I know money is an issue but there has to be easier fixes. And honestly if I'm a principle and I have a teacher say X Student is being disruptive to my teachers class with the phone I'm bringing the parents in. If the parents don't want to help and it continues to be an issue just tell them their kid isn't welcomed at the school anymore. Parents today have caved way too much to their kids 

1. Yes schools could policies about detention or other consequences. The tough part is that then enforcing that with 1600 kids is a major task and may anger a large amount of parents and students. It becomes a major source of conflict between staff and students. 

2. I am guessing our school tries something like a lockbox approach and parents signing some kind of waiver saying if their kid brings a phone to school, it's at their own risk. After that, we still have the air pods and apple watches to deal with it, but it's an improvement. 

3. The reason is does get overlooked a lot is that the disruption is generally only to themselves. It's not disrupting other kids and it's a justification the kids often give for why they should have the freedom to use the phone how they want. My counterpoint is research shows, the phone is like yawning. If you see someone check theirs, you automatically start thinking about checking yours. So it is a distraction. Administrators are usually really busy and so something like a kid on a phone is typically going to be rather low on their priority list. Plus, you can't just tell a kid he isn't welcome in his local public school. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

It is weird. Like if there is a fight in the hallway between 4th and 5th hour, every kid school knows by the middle of 5th hour and by the end of 5th hour, every kid in the school has watched the videos. 

Jeez I was just starting MS when flip phones got popular (SR YR of HS was the first iPhone) and most of the time we still didn't know what happened between block 1 and block 3 if there was a fight unless we had people talking about it. It took until Noon at lunch when I was in 8th grade for me to find out about the 9/11 attacks. If that happened today and I was in school I'd have known instantly. And when that happened the teachers who had TVs in class were told not to turn the TVs on. Hard to see that kind of thing being enforced now. However that day those who had TVs basically said screw it this is important and turned the TVs on. My Social Studies teacher made a lesson out of the day of it off the top of his head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

My Cousin works at Lower Merion (Kobe's old High School) with at risk students. Most social issues like autistic and other things. They have similar problems with kids and phones. It's hard because if you do anything then you get a parent yelling and even threatening to lawyer up on the entire district so they just let the kids run wild on their devices. 

Exactly- it's appeasement from the school district. If the parent keeps sending the kid to school with a phone after we've clearly told them it is having a significant negative impact on their grades, then that is their parent decision. We aren't going to battle them over it anymore. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

1. Yes schools could policies about detention or other consequences. The tough part is that then enforcing that with 1600 kids is a major task and may anger a large amount of parents and students. It becomes a major source of conflict between staff and students. 

2. I am guessing our school tries something like a lockbox approach and parents signing some kind of waiver saying if their kid brings a phone to school, it's at their own risk. After that, we still have the air pods and apple watches to deal with it, but it's an improvement. 

3. The reason is does get overlooked a lot is that the disruption is generally only to themselves. It's not disrupting other kids and it's a justification the kids often give for why they should have the freedom to use the phone how they want. My counterpoint is research shows, the phone is like yawning. If you see someone check theirs, you automatically start thinking about checking yours. So it is a distraction. Administrators are usually really busy and so something like a kid on a phone is typically going to be rather low on their priority list. Plus, you can't just tell a kid he isn't welcome in his local public school. 

Yeah I get all of that. Just amazes me but then again must higher up administrators could care less about the students or staff as long as the schools are making the district money and making them look good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Yeah I get all of that. Just amazes me but then again must higher up administrators could care less about the students or staff as long as the schools are making the district money and making them look good 

School districts don't make money, it's not a for profit set-up. Public schools are a democratic institution. People of the district vote for the board, the board hires the administrators who run the schools for them. At any point the school board of elected officials could dictate how they want phone policies handled. If the parents don't like the direction the school is going, they can elect different board members. We as teachers and administrators are just providing the people of the district the school of their choosing. It's a very good school and district. We perform well above State averages, graduation rates are high, it is safe, there are an incredible amount of extracurricular activities, clubs, sports, new facilities, etc. 

As a generation of parents/adults, we also do a terrible job teaching kids how to use their phones productively. They are great tools that have so many helpful uses but it seems like at home they are just given the phones and allowed to run free with it. Then at school we spend all day yelling to put them away. There has to be some better balance to be established. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Exactly- it's appeasement from the school district. If the parent keeps sending the kid to school with a phone after we've clearly told them it is having a significant negative impact on their grades, then that is their parent decision. We aren't going to battle them over it anymore. 

Yep either way you get an angry parent but at least you can say  "Hey we warned you this would happen so we aren't at fault. You didn't want to help solve the issue with us." 

It's also an issue at my job working in a grocery store. I have 4 new cashiers the other night almost all of them on their phones. My one manager was mad. My one manager who runs the Front desk at night if they ask to use the rest room they have to hand their phone to her before going and get it back when they return or else we might not see certain people for like 20 minutes. I use my phone a lot but it's because of what Jobs I do I need it. I need to text a beer vendor or a wine rep something my boss forgot, tell my boss hey an issue happened tonight just letting you know for tomorrow, hey so and so can you come in early, etc etc. Then I got to text my bosses Supervisor sometimes as she isn't always there. My boss if I'm doing something and she's on vacation I can text her if I'm not sure about doing something ordering a certain product or display placement. When people start they are told this in training you can't have your phones out. So and so can as they work a department they need it out. If they see you with your phone its a sent home. 2nd time is termination. Our Union agreed to this and will not defend you on it unless you feel you are getting singled out and can prove they are lying you didn't have your phone out.You may have it for family emergencies. When my mom had breast cancer I had to get special certification at the time (Wasn't working in the department I do now) to have it out. It was if anyone questioned or came in big shot wise I could show them I allowed it for an emergency. 

Work places might be easier to solve the kids and phone issues then at school as we have more leeway and most of the time parents really do not give a dam. My one friend her brother worked at my store and got fired. My friends mom told me her son quit. She was shocked when I told her no he was fired for his phone being out and said you had a medical emergency. She was more shocked that her son lied and used her as an excuse when she didn't have an issue then with us as she worked there prior as well. Also told her there was a separate incident I won't get into as I don't know all the details but she could gladly go to the ASD and ask her since she took care of the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

School districts don't make money, it's not a for profit set-up. Public schools are a democratic institution. People of the district vote for the board, the board hires the administrators who run the schools for them. At any point the school board of elected officials could dictate how they want phone policies handled. If the parents don't like the direction the school is going, they can elect different board members. We as teachers and administrators are just proving the people of the district the school of their choosing. It's a very good school and district. We perform well above State averages, graduation rates are high, it is safe, there are an incredible amount of extracurricular activities, clubs, sports, new facilities, etc. 

As a generation of parents/adults, we also do a terrible job teaching kids how to use their phones productively. They are great tools that have so many helpful uses but it seems like at home they are just given the phones and allowed to run free with it. Then at school we spend all day yelling to put them away. There has to be some better balance to be established. 

Parents are lazy. I'm lucky to have a greatgraduatingf class where a lot of my class are parents. They run their households not the kids. At most I would say oldest are 10 on avg besides a few who had kids while in school so a little older. However a lot of my friends discipline their children. again I work retail so I see the out of control kids and the parent who lets them. I had one parent in my department who let her kids run all over my wine isle. My boss and I calmly politely told the kids to not be running in the department and the parents lost their #### with us. My store director came over and politely told them if their kids break anything they the parents are responsible for paying for what broke. If they don't like the rules they are happy to shop else where. Just amazes me how parents let their kids run wild. I know if I ever had kids the minute they started acted up they would wish they behaved. I get discipline can be tough. When I was younger I threw temper tantrums when my parents sent me to my room they had to take all the stuff that could break out. I would throw stuff against the door and everything. Wasn't until after I got to college I was finally diagnosed with Aspergers. My mom reading up on stuff realized they just didn't discipline me the proper way for someone with autism should be. So I get made some parents have issues like that with kids. However there are clearly parents who just let their kids run wild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we will start seeing a hunched over generation.  Looking down at your phone all day is terrible for you, and I'd imagine worse for young people still growing.

I have heard of comedy shows having lockable pouches or something to put a phone in.  Joe Rogan often discusses this, and he does it at his shows.  It prevents people from recording the shows, but more importantly it makes people pay attention.  I'd imagine it gets annoying when you are trying to entertain and people are using their device, or taking pictures.  This lockable pouch system seems like a great idea for schools.

Back to tiktok, Kevin Hart is pretty funny on there.  His schtick is to always say "I'm doing a tiktok".  I wonder if they are paying him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Oh the horror...

It would be. That’s how they keep in touch. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you don’t have a phone, you’re not going to have a lot of friends because you lose contact. If my boys weren’t outgoing and active, it’d bother me more but they get good grades and play sports. It’s not much different when I was a kid and on the phone a lot or doing something with my friends. It’s just a lot easier to stay in touch with a lot of people.

Also, don’t take that as I ignore their usage, don’t tell them frequently to get off and don’t take them away at times, but all kids use their phones. If they don’t get good grades the phone goes away. That said, phone use is here to stay. It’s just the way it is.

Edited by stbugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.