What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYC subway thief thanks Democrats after his 139th arrest, release: 'Bail reform, it’s lit!' (1 Viewer)

boots11234

Footballguy
Liberal policies in NY lead to this  Link  on thee East coast. I would put a link here also to pics of human poo on the west coast but will spare you that. 

question, doesn’t this make you angry even if you are on the left?

The issue of bail reform is not with its concept, but with its execution. His crimes are violent, so they should be classified as such, and as a result he should be ineligible for bail reform. 

This discussion came up on Super Bowl Sunday (which sucked), the example given was a guy beat up his girlfriend, was released, and then beat her up again. On what planet is assault not considered a violent crime? So again, the issue is with the implementation, not the concept.

NY resident here, so I’m familiar with the issue. And of course I’m not surprised to see Fox News as the linked source to this story. 

The issue of bail reform is not with its concept, but with its execution. His crimes are violent, so they should be classified as such, and as a result he should be ineligible for bail reform. 

This discussion came up on Super Bowl Sunday (which sucked), the example given was a guy beat up his girlfriend, was released, and then beat her up again. On what planet is assault not considered a violent crime? So again, the issue is with the implementation, not the concept.

NY resident here, so I’m familiar with the issue. And of course I’m not surprised to see Fox News as the linked source to this story. 
I did some more research and bail reform does actually sound like a good idea but let’s face it the Democrats in charge screwed up the implementation.  As far as the link, what does it matter if it’s true. 

im sure they’ll do M4A right though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did some more research and bail reform does actually sound like a good idea but let’s face it the Democrats in charge screwed up the implementation.  As far as the link, what does it matter if it’s true. 
Because they are cherry picking one example. For the outlet that claims to be fair and balanced, they’re just telling one side of the story. And I agree that if they can’t manage the implementation, they should suspend the policy until they can. That means getting judges to make the right decisions, which they clearly haven’t been in every case. 

im sure they’ll do M4A right though...
:(

What does it matter if the link is true or not? 

:(

What does it matter if the link is true or not? 
Did I put “or not” in my post?  The story is true are they cherry picking probably. However I don’t care about the successes I care about fixing the failures and this clearly is a failure on the part of the implementation of a democrat plan. 

Because they are cherry picking one example. For the outlet that claims to be fair and balanced, they’re just telling one side of the story. And I agree that if they can’t manage the implementation, they should suspend the policy until they can. That means getting judges to make the right decisions, which they clearly haven’t been in every case. 
There are plenty of examples. They didnt cherry pick it. The story was newsworthy because the guy was yelling crazy stuff to reporters. 

A guy being arrested 6 times already and released without bail since a new law was passed is newsworthy. The networks should all cover that. 

Pretty sure they did the same with the lady who was charged with the hate crime against jews.  Called it non-violent and she was released.  

To update that story.

A woman accused of slapping three people in one of a series of anti-Semitic attacks during the Hanukkah holiday was arrested again for another assault — just one day after she was charged with attempted assault as a hate crime.

Tiffany Harris, 30, was arrested Sunday morning after she allegedly punched a 35-year-old woman who was walking on Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn's Prospect Heights area. The attack was unprovoked and the victim suffered bruising and swelling to the eye, according to police.

Nothing was said before the attack and it was unclear whether the victim was Jewish like Harris' previous alleged victims.

Police said Harris slapped three women, ages 22 to 31, in the face and head as she said “F-U Jews” after encountering them outside Chabad Lubavitch headquarters in Crown Heights, the New York Daily News reported. The victims suffered minor pain, police said.

Harris was released Saturday after her arraignment on the attempted assault charge and other misdemeanor and lower-level charges, according court records. An email seeking comment was sent to her lawyer.
NYC isn't doing something right here.  

Grace Under Pressure said:
It’s one hell of an example 😬.  

They left the judges with zero discretion... This bail reform is a complete joke and this city is growing worse and worse with crime. Obviously the city was a better place when Bloomberg was mayor. 

There was a judge who disregarded bail reform in Long Island. A "non-violent" bank robber; he would hand tellers a note, but it was for whatever reason considered non-violent since he didn't actually use violence. He had done it so many times the judge called him a menace and remanded him on bail... The next judge up the ranks overturned it and set the lowlife free. IIRC, I believe this was late Jan and I've read he has hit another few banks since. 

Someone wants my vote, they can argue against this pathetic policy that leaves zero discretion to judges. You're basically giving criminals a free pass to commit misdemeanors or some other non-violent crimes. Might as well just legalize stealing.

I think the point is that he was released 130 times before bail reform went into effect 2 months ago, so this one particular case isn’t just a bail reform issue.

NY politicians are pushing to reform bail reform.

As with anything, making improvements along the way may be necessary.

I think the point is that he was released 130 times before bail reform went into effect 2 months ago, so this one particular case isn’t just a bail reform issue.

NY politicians are pushing to reform bail reform.

As with anything, making improvements along the way may be necessary.
He was released for those after serving time, charges dropped or being acquitted or getting bailed out. He has 87 misdemeanors and 6 felony convictions and has been to prison multiple times. 

Obviously he hasn't averaged getting arrested 6 times and released in less than two months over the course of his life. Is it really a debate about whether or not this guy would be in jail right now and held until he was forced to appear for the ones he has been skipping under the old laws?    

He was released for those after serving time, charges dropped or being acquitted or getting bailed out. He has 87 misdemeanors and 6 felony convictions and has been to prison multiple times. 

Obviously he hasn't averaged getting arrested 6 times and released in less than two months over the course of his life. Is it really a debate about whether or not this guy would be in jail right now and held until he was forced to appear for the ones he has been skipping under the old laws?    
Of course he would, assuming he couldn’t make bail. So would a lot of people who don’t have that history and are actually innocent. 

It’s a tough area of the law - you’re arguing in favor of holding people in jail for nonviolent crimes who haven’t been convicted yet.  

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Of course he would, assuming he couldn’t make bail. So would a lot of people who don’t have that history and are actually innocent. 

It’s a tough area of the law - you’re arguing in favor of holding people in jail for nonviolent crimes who haven’t been convicted yet.  
Seems like part of the confusion is over what is considered nonviolent and what isn't.  

You bet I am. This guy is an obvious no brainer hold. Any law that doesn't allow for that is stupid. I don't care that he hasn't been convicted yet. He has been convicted 93 times.

Anybody unsure about liberal media bias I present case #6,729,723 and #6,729,724 of Charles Barry and Elijah Hodge. 

If these two had accused a white guy wearing a red hat of farting in their general direction their story would be everywhere.  

You bet I am. This guy is an obvious no brainer hold. Any law that doesn't allow for that is stupid. I don't care that he hasn't been convicted yet. He has been convicted 93 times.
California is struggling with new legal changes as well.  Theft, car break-ins, phone snatching, etc. are ticketable misdemeanors.  They can be conducted with impunity over, and over, and over again with no repercussions.  Even if caught criminals are not subject to arrest.  Property crime, especially car break-ins, has become an epidemic.

Even in the very liberal Bay Area people are realizing this aspect of non-violent crime reform was taken too far.  California’s initiative process will inevitably swing this pendulum back in the other direction.

The biggest issue with what they've currently done is that it eliminates the judge's discretion... That's flat out insane, imo. Why not replace the judge with a robot in that circumstance?

The biggest issue with what they've currently done is that it eliminates the judge's discretion... That's flat out insane, imo. Why not replace the judge with a robot in that circumstance?
Lots of jurisdictions have implemented or experimented with sentencing guidelines that limit or eliminate judicial discretion.  It is an attempt to solve one problem by creating a different problem.  Kinda depends on which problems are most important to you.

Lots of jurisdictions have implemented or experimented with sentencing guidelines that limit or eliminate judicial discretion.  It is an attempt to solve one problem by creating a different problem.  Kinda depends on which problems are most important to you.
This isn't a sentencing guideline, some crimes here have mandatory sentences, I understand that. This bail reform eliminates the judge's ability to impose any bail on certain crimes, regardless of circumstances, and the bank robber one I gave is a perfect example of at least allowing a judge to use discretion.

This isn't a sentencing guideline, some crimes here have mandatory sentences, I understand that. This bail reform eliminates the judge to impose any bail on certain crimes, regardless of circumstances, and the bank robber one I gave is a perfect example of at least allowing a judge to use discretion.
Right, it was an analogy.  I know this isn't a sentencing guideline or a mandatory minimum but it takes away judicial discretion like those laws do.  And there's a similar tension addressed by all of these laws.  If judges have lots of discretion, then they will use that discretion, and defendants that have committed the same crimes and have similar circumstances will receive disparate treatment based solely on which judge they happened to pull.  If judges have no discretion, then they're incapable of tailoring sentences (or granting/denying bail) when the circumstances would seem to warrant it.  It's not an easy problem to fix.

If judges have lots of discretion, then they will use that discretion, and defendants that have committed the same crimes and have similar circumstances will receive disparate treatment based solely on which judge they happened to pull.  If judges have no discretion, then they're incapable of tailoring sentences (or granting/denying bail) when the circumstances would seem to warrant it.  It's not an easy problem to fix.
Who knew that the criminal justice system could be as complicated as moderating a message board?

Good thing whoever is running NY, is not running the country or we would be over run with criminals while prison guards would all be standing in the unemployment line.

This isn't a sentencing guideline, some crimes here have mandatory sentences, I understand that. This bail reform eliminates the judge's ability to impose any bail on certain crimes, regardless of circumstances, and the bank robber one I gave is a perfect example of at least allowing a judge to use discretion.
It’s obviously a bad law.  Hopefully they get it fixed.

Maybe he should donate money to Trump's re-election campaign, and then appear on "Fox & Friends" to praise the President.

Can anyone or any of the no prison absolutists share or link me to a breakdown on their thought process?

I thought this was good in principle, but I was just seeing this more as minor drug offenses, how do you operate a society where assaults get you a time out and time on the honor system?

New leader in the clubhouse?

TROY NY (WRGB) - Three arrests in one day, spread across seven hours and just two blocks!

Those are the dizzying numbers from just one suspect that has the troy police union calling for changes to bail reform laws.

That suspect is Scott Nolan.

Around 9am they arrested him and charged him for shoplifting. He was released with an appearance ticket.

Hours later, they say he assaulted a man just before 2:30pm. He was arrested and released again.

Then just before 4:30pm they say he hit another person with a brick. Police charged him with second degree attempted assault and third degree criminal possession of a weapon, which kept him in custody.

"They just basically become a reactive instead of a proactive police department," says Nicholas Laviano, the President of Troy's Police Union.

https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/man-gets-arrested-three-times-in-one-day-due-to-being-released-on-bail-reform-law

Smack Tripper said:
Can anyone or any of the no prison absolutists share or link me to a breakdown on their thought process?

I thought this was good in principle, but I was just seeing this more as minor drug offenses, how do you operate a society where assaults get you a time out and time on the honor system?
You can’t.  It was a poorly conceived law that will have to be changed.

Users who are viewing this thread