What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For those who ate fast food in the 80s and 90s (1 Viewer)

When seeking a good one out,
Lost me there. In no known universe would I be searching the frozen aisle for pizza that I would expose my tastebuds to in the hope, or to test, that it would meet my taste requirements.
But, I'm a snob that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
memories:

- Arbymeat was made of some edible form of latex & flavored w stripper stank

- Wendy's was just as over-rated

- BK at least tried, would have left Mickey's D's completely behind if not for bad fries

- KFC's batter was an inconsistent mess

- Carl's Jr (sorry easterners) had the most fun with fast food - putting a slice of green chile on their roast beef sammiches, offering real-meat chicken product, making a "$6.00 burger" - a sloppy, gooey, fun burger stack - and charging $4.00 for it

- 95% of the sit-down Mexican restaurants outside the SW did not get the food as right as Chipotle's does now

I already know what heaven is like because I experienced a 1990's Wendy's double cheeseburger. 
Double?  Feh. 

You can still go off menu and order a triple.  You'll pay extra and want a pair of cardio paddles nearby but every ten years treat yourself.  

In Wisconsin, we have a bunch of different frozen pizzas that are pretty good.  They're mostly Mom and Pop shops distributing regionally.  When seeking a good one out, remember that the quality of the pizza is inversely proportional to the quality of the packaging.  The good ones do not have flashy or professional looking printing.  Other parts of the country probably have a lot fewer selections but there must be some half way decent options.  Lottza Mozza looks like it'd be distributed more widely and is pretty good.  The cheese is definitely higher quality than fast food pizza cheese.  I would never buy a Jack's, Tombstone, or even a DiGiorno.  
I recently discovered Lipper's based out Milwaukee. I like it a lot. I have only found them at various Piggly Wiggly's and Sendik's. Over priced at Sendik's though.

Fast food was way better when I was a kid. (43)

I can still get a 1990's Wendy's burger patty and not that bastardized version of it that they peddle today?
Good point.

Also the ALL YOU CAN EAT salad bar got me through some tough money times in the early 80s.  Me and my fiends may have ended that just by ourselves.

I remember Pizza Hut pan pizza in the 80s was delicious.  Throw in an ET collectible glass and a few games of tabletop Centipede, that’s a full afternoon right there.
I worked at Pizza Hut back in the 90s. Dough for pan pizza was made fresh in-store in the morning.  Only dough that was frozen were the tiny personal pan pizzas (and breadsticks).  I understand it's now all made off-site and shipped frozen to stores.

Seems about the same to me. I think it’s mostly nostalgia that makes people think a fast food burrito was actually better 20 years. 
This is probably true, but today the biggest difference is the size of everything. A Big Mac wasn't quite double the size it is today but it was easily 1 1/2 times bigger

A Papa burger and a frosty mug of Root Beer from A&W in the 70's was pretty righteous. 

White Castle and George Webb throughout time have been a degrading but reassuring form of penance.

Back in the day a good Gyros place would have a herd of gyrs out back so you knew they were fresh.

Mcdonalds, somewhat status quo... the burgers are fresher and not sitting around as much as the 80's and early 90's when there would just be a  cue of them.  The fries suck not cooked in animal fat though, and not frying the apple pies hurts

Wendy's, far far better... great quality ingredients for a decent price.

Burger King... a huge huge fall off.  I don't know if they actually still grill in the restaurant, you'd never know it though.  They make a whopper, mayo lettuce and all and THEN microwave it... the most vile swill I can imagine, it takes a lot for me to eat their garbage.

Roy Rogers... status quo

KFC... worse all around but extra crispy was a decent ad (would guess mid 90's?)

Thats the fast food I had exposure to in the 80's and 90's

I have to say, its amazing going to a chipotle or a chick fil A, even Shake Shack, they have to be devastating the traditional places.  
Our local Arby's had a very large, very real beef roast underneath a heat lamp in a glass display box on top of the counter.  It was delicious.  

It's still ok now, but the meat definitely isn't the same quality and the jamocha shakes tasted a lot more like coffee than chocolate - now you can hardly taste the coffee.

The potato wedges ...I don't remember - but they are awesome now.  

I liked the Carl's Jr. Famous Star burger in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, etc.
Oh man Hardee’s Frisco Burger was the bomb, feel like that one has gone down hill but it could be the nostalgia and lack of Hardee’s around me

A Papa burger and a frosty mug of Root Beer from A&W in the 70's was pretty righteous. 

White Castle and George Webb throughout time have been a degrading but reassuring form of penance.

Back in the day a good Gyros place would have a herd of gyrs out back so you knew they were fresh.
A&W is still pretty solid, that one isn’t really in my regular rotation but I need to rectify that

I would never buy a Jack's, Tombstone, or even a DiGiorno.  
Back in the 80s, I could put down some Tombstone! My parents would be gone a lot of weekends during the summer and that was often my dinner. Could eat a whole one without thinking twice and loved every minute of it. 

Oh man Hardee’s Frisco Burger was the bomb, feel like that one has gone down hill but it could be the nostalgia and lack of Hardee’s around me

A&W is still pretty solid, that one isn’t really in my regular rotation but I need to rectify that
Had forgotten about the Frisco Burger - may be one of the best fast food burgers ever.

A&W Rootbeer float and teen burger was the go-to for me.  My dad swore by the fried shrimp.  Would always beg for a take home cone of root beer.

Our local Arby's had a very large, very real beef roast underneath a heat lamp in a glass display box on top of the counter.  It was delicious. 
Forgot about Arby's BACK IN THE DAY!!! Mom's had the $5 for $5 coupons rocking so every weekend would load up and when #1 son would roll in about 3am on Friday & Saturday night he would crush REAL roast beef like it was a last meal.

They are building an Arby's about 2 miles from where I live now. I am hoping against hope a roast beef sammich will be brought back to the prominence it so richly deserves.

Forgot about Arby's BACK IN THE DAY!!! Mom's had the $5 for $5 coupons rocking so every weekend would load up and when #1 son would roll in about 3am on Friday & Saturday night he would crush REAL roast beef like it was a last meal.

They are building an Arby's about 2 miles from where I live now. I am hoping against hope a roast beef sammich will be brought back to the prominence it so richly deserves.
Something wrong with their roast beef, in my mind. It just lacks flavor.

I like to cook up a roast at home.  I like it rare, but for sandwiches  I go even rarer than normal.  for sandwiches I refrigerate it before ever cutting into it. I slice it thin, but not Arby's paper thin.  I then cut the slices into stripes and finally into cubes. I do this so that when you bite the  sandwich you do not tear the bread trying to tear off a piece of beef, it comes right off right where you bit.  I place the too rare beef in the microwave covered with shredded swiss.  Why shredded, it melts faster.  I nuke it about twenty-five seconds to melt that cheese.  Ideally the beef is still cool if not cold and still very rare, not really cooking up much in that time.    I pile it high on Russian rye. I hit it with Lawry's Seasoned Salt and spicy brown mustard.  I add a dill pickle on the side and I am good to go.

Did anyone have Stewart’s? What’s interesting about them is seemingly the franchisee could make up any menu they chose.  Maybe you get grilled cheese, maybe a hot dog, who knows?

Here's a neat hack I do only at Burger King, because it is close and convenient and 2 whoppers have been $6 for about three years. But you might try it anywhere. Order them no pickles no cheese. Fast food pickles and cheese are awful. You force them to give you fresh ones that haven't been under heat lamps. The lettuce tomato and onion is fine. My BK has great buns you can order toasted. I take them home and add good pickles, maybe jalapenos and avo, maybe some sweet and hot bbq sauce, bacon. They are pretty good this way. 

I'm a McDonald's filet of fish fan. It was a lot cheaper and it was bigger back then. I became a fan when it was 50 cents! I think the whopper is the same. Another fav. I just can't bring myself to pay today's prices for fast food as often as I used too, which is good. When a craving hits like maybe once a month I'll go for it. In and Out has great prices still and tastes delish. They have the best fries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Raxx being the Arby’s/Hardee’s roast beef competitor way back in the day.  I don’t have memory of that particular quality, but seem to remember them having bomb ### chocolate chip cookies 

I already know what heaven is like because I experienced a 1990's Wendy's double cheeseburger. 
Have to disagree, it was McDonalds French fries and Chocolate Milkshakes.  

McDonalds fries were so iconic that Malcom Gladwell did a whole podcast about how and why they changed, and how the fries now are a shadow of what they used to be.  

I think it was more the eighties when fast food tasted good. There's a whole segment on this on one of those undercovered shows where they do whether McDonald's fries tasted better then or now, and it was clearly then due to ingredients no longer used for health concerns. 
I should have read further before my previous post.... 

Taco Bell used to have all kinds of stuff I loved. Cheeseburger burrito, they had another one that had tater tots inside it and chicken bacon ranch one. Enchiritos and they even recently got rid of meximelts which were another staple of mine. Burrito supremes and taco salad was bigger and better back then. 

I would have to say that they’ve gone way downhill. 

Something wrong with their roast beef, in my mind. It just lacks flavor.

I like to cook up a roast at home.  I like it rare, but for sandwiches  I go even rarer than normal.  for sandwiches I refrigerate it before ever cutting into it. I slice it thin, but not Arby's paper thin.  I then cut the slices into stripes and finally into cubes. I do this so that when you bite the  sandwich you do not tear the bread trying to tear off a piece of beef, it comes right off right where you bit.  I place the too rare beef in the microwave covered with shredded swiss.  Why shredded, it melts faster.  I nuke it about twenty-five seconds to melt that cheese.  Ideally the beef is still cool if not cold and still very rare, not really cooking up much in that time.    I pile it high on Russian rye. I hit it with Lawry's Seasoned Salt and spicy brown mustard.  I add a dill pickle on the side and I am good to go.
To this day Arby’s sauce is one of my favorite sauces to put on sandwiches. Have probably Consumed gallons of that sauce in my lifetime.  

smallish town, my drv thru options: TB, Arb, BK, McD, Crls, JiB, DelT, no fst fd chicken, 2 mom and pops (burgers and mex).  

So, another "fast" food trick is to call a local diner that makes better burgers and fries than any of them (with options for house salad or potato salad). $5.99 lunch special w/o a drink. It's ready when I get there. Park by the front door. Back in the car faster than a drive thru. Home made bun, local produce, Costco meat, really good steak fries.  :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread