What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 WSL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Cohen in the 10th. Great get @Norseman
He literally was my only preselect :(
I had come close a couple of times.  If I didn't take Drake earlier, i would have gone Cohen in the 9th.  Pretty much a guaranteed 5 spot each week and half his games in double digits.  That's the type of guy who moves you on each week when the byes and injuries are piling up.

Instead I took David Johnson in the 9th.  Interested in general thoughts here.  He was literally a mid first a year ago.  From my perspective, with Drake on board, worst case I safe guarded my investment in the Arizona offense.  Best case, Drake signs elsewhere or DJ gets traded to Tampa and I have two really good backs.

I had come close a couple of times.  If I didn't take Drake earlier, i would have gone Cohen in the 9th.  Pretty much a guaranteed 5 spot each week and half his games in double digits.  That's the type of guy who moves you on each week when the byes and injuries are piling up.

Instead I took David Johnson in the 9th.  Interested in general thoughts here.  He was literally a mid first a year ago.  From my perspective, with Drake on board, worst case I safe guarded my investment in the Arizona offense.  Best case, Drake signs elsewhere or DJ gets traded to Tampa and I have two really good backs.
DJ could be a really good value, it's kind of amazing how far out of favor he's fallen this year. Last year wasn't good, but he's a nice risk play here. 

I think the warning signs for DJ as a first-rounder were pretty clear ahead of last season (easy to say in retrospect, of course, but I owned zero shares of him).

But say what you will about Kingsbury as an NFL HC, I don't think he's afraid to try new things on offense. DJ's between-the-tackle days are pretty much over IMO, but as a pure H-back he could still be a potent weapon - he led all NFL RBs in air yards per catch last season, and it wasn't close. If Kingsbury is able to fully integrate him in that role, even with Drake there he could still be a 60/800 guy through the air, which alone would make him a steal in the 9th.

🤷‍♂️ sure I'll take the rookie back who runs for over 100 and goes 77 and 52 through the air against Alabama and Clemson, in the 10th.  

I'm hoping he lasts this long in rookie drafts. 

STINKIN REF 12 HOLE HALFWAY HOME

6.05 Aaron Rodgers GBP QB8 (10)

1.12 Aaron Jones GBP RB7 (2)    
2.05 Austin Ekeler LAC RB12 (4)

3.12 Courtland Sutton DEN WR17 (19)    
5.12 Julian Edelman NEP WR29 (7)
7.12 Marquise Brown BAL WR41 (46)    
8.05 Marvin Jones DET WR44 (28)
10.05 Hunter Renfrow LVR WR57 (54)    

4.05 Tyler Higbee  LAR TE8  (7)    
9.12 Greg Olsen SEA TE20 (13)

Going in I was targeting Kittle at 1.12, so had to switch gears. Pick came down to Jones, Hill, Adams.  Went with the RB.  Feels like I have passed on RB’s in the past and not much success.  Hated passing on Hill as I thought Mahomes would make it back to 2.05 and would have liked that stack. Doubled down at RB at 2.05 and chasing Ek’s numbers from last year. Four RB’s went after my first pick, so thought pickings would be slim next time I was up in third.  I was wrong. Only six more went between my second and third picks.  Wow. Been misreading things for a while now. If I would have known what meat was left on RB bone in the later rounds I maybe would have changed my whole draft. As mentioned, not sold on any WR at that point but am sold on Ek. Two RB’s on board that finished in top four last year, I can focus elsewhere for a while. 

Cool with Sutton at 3.12 as my WR1. Diggs getting diva fever.  There weren’t any other considerations here. At 4.05 I was tempted to add a third RB as I was a little surprised to see some solid guys still there. But seven TE’s were gone and a long time between picks.  Couldn’t ignore what Higbee did last year, especially down the stretch. No WR’s were putting lead in my pencil, so locked down a TE in 2PPR.

As 5.12 approached, it looked like I was going to have to take another RB with what was sliding but they ended up going shortly before my pick.  Needed another WR, chose Edelman as WR29 over the rest. WR7 finish last year and Brady will be back. At 6.05 the QB run is coming and Rodgers is still there. 

Bass was right 7.12 would have been Hardman, so Brown was consolation prize and expect better numbers and a bigger role in year two. At 8.05 Marvin felt like pretty good value and a decent WR3/4.  I probably should have taken him in front of Brown, but in best ball I like having a guy like Brown on the roster. If Jimmy G had made it here, he would have gotten a sniff. Mike Williams, Cam, and Brady did get a sniff. 

At 9.12 I really felt the need to add a RB3 but Olsen was a target and part of the revised TE plan after not getting Kittle in the first.  However, I never thought I would be able to get him at the end of the 9th.  When I passed on him the last few rounds, I thought for sure somebody would snag him.  Signed a $7 million deal with 5.5 guaranteed.  Not being brought in to ride the bench for those numbers and Wilson loves the TE, especially in the red zone.  Minor SOD here IMO. Zero surprise if he ends up top 10. Maybe would have taken DJ here had Bass not and Cohen should have been my pick, but couldn’t pass on Olsen.  10.05 probably my toughest pick. Renfrow, _________, Williams, and Watkins. Watching Sammy slide was so painful as a KC fan, but I get it.  I am still 80% sure he takes a pretty massive pay cut/restructure somehow and stays.  While his year was disappointing, I just think he “fits” in KC right now, and I think he knows it. But the 20% scared me off. Williams coming off a torn ACL, scared me too, even though he may be the real deal. ______ may have been a nice safe pick, but I went with Renfrow who seems to have more upside and less mileage.  Two great games to end the season, many targets from Carr, and if Brady comes to town he could get peppered like Welker and Edelman.  I like having a big play guy like Brown, but in PPR guys like Renfrow, etc. help you advance. 

Pretty boring, zero sex appeal…. :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stafford/Roeth

Bell/Swift

MT/JuJu/Metcalf/Jeudy/Ruggs

Ebron/Dissly

WR should provide a lot of stability plus upside.  Risk at QB but 2 top 10 guys potentially if health is there.  Need Ebron to go somewhere to be a key cog (and IMO Olsen is more Dissly insurance policy than "replacement").  Will need to add a couple more RB's for sure.  This looks like a lot of my WSL teams (emphasis on injured/rookies that will see big jumps) which tend to either do really well or tank hard.

Missed out on several targets a pick or two before (TE's mostly, plus a couple RB's) which drove a couple of the recent picks like Ebron which cost DJ.

Getting sniped all over the place...... :rant:

Preston, Washington, Smith, Knox, Perriman, Henderson.   

Gotta remeber with whom I am playing with.  :shark:

The turns sucks,  28 pick in between,  can't get ahead!  :cry:

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
@BassNBrew

thoughts on james washington vs dionte??? personally i had james washington higher
You might be right. I thought 60-700-5 was an impressive rookie campaign with the garbage they had at QB. Johnson felt like a safe pick where Washington is an upside pick. With hardman and brown already roosted I went for some safe points

You might be right. I thought 60-700-5 was an impressive rookie campaign with the garbage they had at QB. Johnson felt like a safe pick where Washington is an upside pick. With hardman and brown already roosted I went for some safe points
I have Diontae almost everywhere. I think he's the #2 going forward, but it may be more of a 2a/2b deal.

Allen, Josh BUF QB    
Newton, Cam CAR QB (Q)    

i can't quit you cam. wish i had a more dependable pairing but i love the upside 

Barkley, Saquon NYG RB    
Dobbins, J.K. FA RB (R)  
Freeman, Royce DEN RB    
Guice, Derrius WAS RB    

if iknew i was going to get freeman this late, i would have taken metcalf or deebo instead of dobbins. i love this 4some though. i see big upside and a very safe floor.

Golladay, Kenny DET WR  
Jeffery, Alshon PHI WR (Q)    
Moore, D.J. CAR WR (Q)    

depth here is a concern but no problem with the top 3 in whatever 12 weeks alshon plays

Henry, Hunter LAC TE    
Knox, Dawson BUF TE    

i think knox has a decent chance to be this years andrews/waller

call me crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if johnson isn't the 1a to juju 1b {hot take }. but that is up to big ben

PSA

I have predrafted my 11.15!

My 12.02 pick will occur when I wake.

eta:  now changing strategies.   :coffee:

etaa:  :devil:   :stirspot:    :lol:

eta:  now changing strategies.   :coffee:

etaa:  :devil:   :stirspot:    :lol:
Two of the top 3 defenses? Interesting.

I think I'd like it more in a MBSL than here. With FA and the draft still ahead I wonder how much the DSTs we "think" are elite right now will still be viewed that way in August (or even if they'll manage to stay intact between now and then).

Definitely a bold move though, and probably not much downside given we're almost 200 picks in already.

Two of the top 3 defenses? Interesting.

I think I'd like it more in a MBSL than here. With FA and the draft still ahead I wonder how much the DSTs we "think" are elite right now will still be viewed that way in August (or even if they'll manage to stay intact between now and then).

Definitely a bold move though, and probably not much downside given we're almost 200 picks in already.
Only downside really is if few defenses go in between.  Agree that later drafts are better for this strategy as more unknown are covered.  IMO a better strategy along these lines would be to get the kicker run going; the top 10-15 are pretty stable but anything past that has a lot of unknowns.  Might have to try that if no more go before I pick...

IMO a better strategy along these lines would be to get the kicker run going; the top 10-15 are pretty stable but anything past that has a lot of unknowns.  Might have to try that if no more go before I pick...
Kickers?      I don't need no stinking kickers.......

Only downside really is if few defenses go in between.  Agree that later drafts are better for this strategy as more unknown are covered.  IMO a better strategy along these lines would be to get the kicker run going; the top 10-15 are pretty stable but anything past that has a lot of unknowns.  Might have to try that if no more go before I pick...
There is so much volatility at the top of the Defensive team rankings. So few stay near the top year to year. 

However, there are several kickers who are in the top 3-5 year after year. 

Sorry for the holdup. all sorts of internet trouble and MFL access.  Not sure who is taken. Just give me a kicker.   Can someone pick Gould or Zuerlein for me. 

Happy tonight with another Razorback basketball win and headed to bed after a ten hour work day, see y’all in the morning!

I think that the PKs going early and the DSTs going later seems much more logical. PKs seem to be valuable for the ones considered reliable while others seem to be easily expendable, particularly when they have minimal cap-hit and salary.

DSTs, even the really good ones can lose impact with an injury or two, a coach departure or losing a free agent.

the variance of thoughts and the comments here  are what make these drafts fun and beneficial.

Are you guys ok if I change the Penny pick?  I was in Lowe’s last night when my pick came up and I was trying to draft Jake Elliot. Penny had been sitting on a draft list for a while. I distinctly remember changing my draft options to only show kickers and clicking on Elliot. I know Elliot has since been drafted so I won’t ask for him. Just want to replace penny. Let me know your thoights

Are you guys ok if I change the Penny pick?  I was in Lowe’s last night when my pick came up and I was trying to draft Jake Elliot. Penny had been sitting on a draft list for a while. I distinctly remember changing my draft options to only show kickers and clicking on Elliot. I know Elliot has since been drafted so I won’t ask for him. Just want to replace penny. Let me know your thoights
you are probably deserving of a hall pass.....

Ok by me, sometimes the phone setting drafting goes awry

Going to wait for a couple on more to weigh in. Especially would like to hear from those who drafted between my picks if anyone wanted Penny

Thanks all.  Still don't know what happen.  looked at my roster today for the first time and was thinking how the F did penny end up on my roster.

Stephen Holloway said:
I think that the PKs going early and the DSTs going later seems much more logical. PKs seem to be valuable for the ones considered reliable while others seem to be easily expendable, particularly when they have minimal cap-hit and salary.

DSTs, even the really good ones can lose impact with an injury or two, a coach departure or losing a free agent.
For years now, my SL strategy has been "one PK early, two DSTs late". For the reasons you mention of course, but the main point is that a season-long zero from any pick - even a late-rounder - can cripple these squads. More so the SSL/MBSLs, but even 20 roster spots doesn't leave all that much wiggle room. And you can't get a zero from a DST.

Maybe overly simplistic thinking, but it works for me.

For years now, my SL strategy has been "one PK early, two DSTs late". For the reasons you mention of course, but the main point is that a season-long zero from any pick - even a late-rounder - can cripple these squads. More so the SSL/MBSLs, but even 20 roster spots doesn't leave all that much wiggle room. And you can't get a zero from a DST.

It's an interesting discussion, I largely agree with your perspective. 

One of the things I try to do with these early drafts is get mostly players I "know" will either keep their role or at least have a starting job next year.  It's one reason after missing out on the top TEs, I've basically punted the position. I know Howard will start. I don't know if he'll catch many passes, but he'll be on the field.  That's a lot easier to do with late defenses than later kickers or position players.

You can’t get a zero from a DST for sure and getting one on a PK is much more likely (and probably more so now than before) so IF you take TWO that are likely to kick all season, you have reduced the other owner’s chances at the PK position and still have plenty of chances to get DSTs.

since Bronco took the first one at 177, 17 have been taken out of 27 picks. It seems many places a high priority on PK once they started going.

You can’t get a zero from a DST for sure and getting one on a PK is much more likely (and probably more so now than before) so IF you take TWO that are likely to kick all season, you have reduced the other owner’s chances at the PK position and still have plenty of chances to get DSTs.
It's not quite that simple because you have to consider the opportunity cost, not just of the roster spot but of that draft pick.

I roll this number out here every year - a PK2 adds only about 1.5ppg to your team on average. And we were already well into the PK2 range before the end of round 13. In my mind, if you can't draft a skill-position player in the 13th or 14th round with a great chance to outperform 1.5 incremental ppg, you're doing it wrong.

A PK2 is just an insurance policy. Which makes perfect sense, especially since the season is 7 months away. But IMO, a healthy Parris Campbell is far more likely to win me this league at that slot in the draft than my lack of a PK2 is to lose it. I guess we'll see!

It's not quite that simple because you have to consider the opportunity cost, not just of the roster spot but of that draft pick.

I roll this number out here every year - a PK2 adds only about 1.5ppg to your team on average. And we were already well into the PK2 range before the end of round 13. In my mind, if you can't draft a skill-position player in the 13th or 14th round with a great chance to outperform 1.5 incremental ppg, you're doing it wrong.

A PK2 is just an insurance policy. Which makes perfect sense, especially since the season is 7 months away. But IMO, a healthy Parris Campbell is far more likely to win me this league at that slot in the draft than my lack of a PK2 is to lose it. I guess we'll see!
this...I passed on a PK2 (Sly) for Conley....

this...I passed on a PK2 (Sly) for Conley....

same for reagor but obviously a bit different because its more of a gamble 
Same. For Mr. Combine Mims. 

I probably didn't need him, with Cooper, Gallup, Brown, Ross and Williams, but figured I'll take his potential upside.  At least I should get 3 decent scores each week at wr.

BnB took my pick - my Titans 😡

Same. For Mr. Combine Mims. 

I probably didn't need him, with Cooper, Gallup, Brown, Ross and Williams, but figured I'll take his potential upside.  At least I should get 3 decent scores each week at wr.

BnB took my pick - my Titans 😡
Well you swipe McDonald from me.  Great pick.

Users who are viewing this thread