What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Not Knowing Who The President Of Mexico Is A Deal-Breaker? (1 Viewer)

Is Knowing the President of Mexico A Requirement For President?

• Yes

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 48 76.2%

• Total voters

rockaction

Footballguy
Somebody just told me if that's the deal-breaker my mind was never open.

i'd say that it's a symptom of completely not dealing with the immigration issue.

What say you, or is there a middle ground? 

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, it's obviously not a deal-breaker. In 2016, I said that dozens of sexual assaults weren't a dealbreaker, and that fairly obvious (IMO) racism wasn't a deal-breaker.

Almost nothing is a deal-breaker if you can conceive of something worse.

If Trump were running against someone promising to nuke France, I would vote for Trump without regard to his racism.

Similarly, if Klobuchar ends up running against Trump, I'll vote for Klobuchar without regard to her inability to name other world leaders.

Trying what?  Even with this issue...Im pretty confident in her knowledge of many issue over the incumbent.
Yeah, she knows the immigration issue cold. Can't wait to see what she'll do with so many of her appropriation bills that show her bipartisanship. 

And I should change the question. I mean her deal-breaker in the primary. 

Imagine her first meeting with him if she is elected.  Me, I imagine he would be gracious as the rest of the world is more or less forgiving of our ignorance, if not our arrogance.

I'll put my answer another way.

I am not a single-issue voter. But if I were a single-issue voter, being able to name the President of Mexico would not be within the first 100 issues that came to mind.
Even if that issue was immigration and immigration policy? I would think that to be remarkably short-sighted. 

Even if that issue was immigration and immigration policy? I would think that to be remarkably short-sighted. 
A voter can have only one issue that is his single issue. So if my single issue were immigration policy, it is mathematically provable that my single issue could not also be the ability to name the President of Mexico. ;)

A voter can have only one issue that is a single issue. So if my single issue were immigration policy, it is mathematically provable that my single issue could not also be the ability to name the President of Mexico. ;)
Touché. :)

In all seriousness, I get your main point, and in addition to your point, I don't like the "gotcha" style of questioning from a sit-down reporter. It's sort of like what Katie Couric did to Palin and then insisted on upon her journo credentials in the aftermath.

There's a lot that went into it. But not to know who Obrador is when immigration will be front-and-center of the campaign seems stunning. 

But not to know who Obrador is when immigration will be front-and-center of the campaign seems stunning. 
Speaking for myself, I know very little about Obrador, but I could have named him if I'd been asked. (I could also have named his predecessor.) But I consider that to be a trivia question of almost no consequence in precisely this sense: my views on immigration would be exactly the same if I couldn't name the President of Mexico. I've given immigration policy more thought than the average person, I reckon, but none of my thoughts on the subject depend on knowing Obrador's name.

Speaking for myself, I know very little about Obrador, but I could have named him if I'd been asked. (I could also have named his predecessor.) But I consider that to be a trivia question of almost no consequence in precisely this sense: my views on immigration would be exactly the same if I couldn't name the President of Mexico. I've given immigration policy more thought than the average person, I reckon, but none of my thoughts on the subject depend on knowing Obrador's name.
From a nativist perspective, sure, I could see that. But from someone who is looking to use each individuals in power's tastes, preferences, and political capital to craft policy in the light of people streaming over the border? Color me among those who would hope we would know the policy implications -- both extensions and limitations -- of the current president of Mexico and his or her power to achieve what needs to be achieved, both in the short term (where this really matters) and in long-term, systemic ways.

I don't know. I've thought about immigration less than most, and I would hope this to be within the intellectual purview of the president of the U.S.

This really should be among Democrats by the way. If you view the President as someone gutting the Constitution and norms under which the office operates, this is a no-brainer.

She is very intelligent and well educated. I think this was just a brain fart. That being said I couldn't name a president of Mexico since Fox when this happened. 

Was not knowing what/where Aleppo was a deal breaker?
I didn't vote in the last election partially because I wasn't convinced Gary Johnson was serious enough about being president to be president. So, it certainly added to not voting for him, yes. And it was considered the deal-breaker in the media narrative because of his presumable isolationism as a Libertarian candidate. It emphasized that we do need to involve ourselves in the world; to what extent is the question, and not knowing the Aleppo/Syria connection was part of keeping abreast of current events at a little more than surface level. 

I didn't vote in the last election partially because I wasn't convinced Gary Johnson was serious enough about being president to be president. So, it certainly added to not voting for him, yes. And it was considered the deal-breaker in the media narrative because of his presumable isolationism as a Libertarian candidate. It emphasized that we do need to involve ourselves in the world; to what extent is the question, and not knowing the Aleppo/Syria connection was part of keeping abreast of current events at a little more than surface level. 
He couldn't have won any way

Thx

lol. Touché
There are many deal breakers (perhaps as many as there are voters) and some one's deal breaker might be another's enabler. E.g. "Mexico is not sendeíng their best - they are sending rapists etc" was reportedly a deal breaker for many. Who is to say it was not an enabler for some?

There are many deal breakers (perhaps as many as there are voters) and some one's deal breaker might be another's enabler. E.g. "Mexico is not sendeíng their best - they are sending rapists etc" was reportedly a deal breaker for many. Who is to say it was not an enabler for some?
True, but I think that's apples and oranges. People generally want a more informed president than a lesser informed one. You'd certainly find examples of people that are against illegal immigration responding well to that type of political tactic described above in your example, but not too many people, ceteris paribus, want a president to be less informed than informed.

True, but I think that's apples and oranges. People generally want a more informed president than a lesser informed one. You'd certainly find examples of people that are against illegal immigration responding well to that type of political tactic described above in your example, but not too many people, ceteris paribus, want a president to be less informed than informed.
"He tells it like it is" "He doesn't speak like a politician" "Burn it all down" I believe are all quotes from people on this board not exactly supporting the more informed choice. Milage varies

"He tells it like it is" "He doesn't speak like a politician" "Burn it all down" I believe are all quotes from people on this board not exactly supporting the more informed choice. Milage varies
Certainly. I'm surprised people go for it, too, but that's left for them to explain rather than trying to draw generalizations from populist rhetoric turned appealing in comparison to just not knowing things. Certainly also Trump didn't know fundamental governing structures according to the Constitution (at times) and that wasn't a deal-breaker for those that were aware of his missteps yet still voted for him.

I also saw she spoke at some diversity summit and she introduced herself something like this:

”I am Amy but you can call me Elena because that was the name given to me in my 4th grade Spanish class.”

LOL

To be fair, she did seem to know who he was. Just not his name.  I’ve forgotten enough names on the spot to be forgiving to others.

Your bait is weak 😁😉😙

Your bait is weak
Oh, I wasn't talking about Trump. I really set this poll up wrong. I should have limited it to the Democratic Primary field. That's what was in my mind when I started it, but I just assumed and didn't specify. I'll let the poll stand as is though, because people have responded. 

Scarlett Johansson wants to have sex with me but I found out she picks her nose so instead I’ll sleep with Roseanne Barr.*

*I know rock said the primary but I wanted to make my lame joke 

Serious answer - I’m not overly concerned with it but it is a little embarrassing.  No candidate is perfect though and if this is one of her big strikes then she’s looking good in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread