What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New England Road Trip (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
For years I have been talking about making a road trip up in that area.  VT, NH and ME are the last 3 states I need to knock off of my Eastern US list.  Originally, my plan was to drive up to Montreal and then work our way back down.  But I think I'm going to cut the Montreal portion for sake of time.  We had thought we'd drive down from Montreal and take US 2 through Lake Champlain to Burlington.  Then head over to Mt. Washington and then on to someplace like Bar Harbor.

We'd probably stop at Ben and Jerry's as part of the trip.  But besides that, nothing really planned at this point.  Was hoping maybe people here had some ideas.  We'd be going with our 16 year old daughter, so this wouldn't be a bar hopping trip or anything like that.  Looking for things more like nature, kitschy shopping places, and fun/weird roadside attractions.  This would probably be a long weekend trip, but could be longer if needed.  Maybe like a 4 day trip.  We have friends in RI who have a summer beach house, so we'd most likely end our trip with a stop there.  

I would also say that the big cities aren't really a huge stopping point for us.  I mean, if there's something worth it, sure, but more looking for out of the way places.  

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I had hoped this trip would be for this summer, but it could end up pushed back to next summer if things don't work out. 

If you cross VT W-E on I89, Queechee Gorge and the nearby professionally-quaint town of Woodstock, just before the NH border, is worth a stop on a summer day

Acadia National Park. If you’re going to stay in Bar Harbor definitely spend a few hours in the park. 
Yes.  This was one of the places we wanted to see.  Does it have lighthouses?  Because we feel like we need to see a lighthouse if we're in Maine along the coast.

And I don’t think 4 days is going to be enough time to cover all the ground you’ve proposed unless all you want to do is drive through it. 
It should be plenty.  We don't intend to make it a detailed trip.  Part of the fun for us is the drive.  We love driving and stopping some place for maybe 30 minutes, then heading back out.  Except for like the main places.  Like Mt. Washington would be a full day, including the drive.  As would Acadia.  We do trips like this a lot.  

I did pretty much what your talking about back in 2015. 

Cleveland>Niagara Falls>Burlington (side trip to Montreal one of 3 days I was there)>Bangor ME (side trip to Acadia)>NYC>DC>home

It was a great trip. Crossing over Lake Champlain at Essex ferry was amazing. Vermont is the best state. I think you’ll really enjoy this trip. 

You mentioned staying out of cities but if you are into history Boston will have the King Tut exhibit, last time it was in town was 50 years ago

You mentioned staying out of cities but if you are into history Boston will have the King Tut exhibit, last time it was in town was 50 years ago
I've been to Boston a bunch so I'm trying to find places I've never been that the family can enjoy as a whole.  I thought about maybe going out on the cape, since I've never been.  But honestly, I don't know if there's really anything out there to see.

Acadia National Park.
When we did our Maine trip, this was our destination. We tried to break everything up into 3-4 hours drives. Seems like way too much for a weekend trip. This was our itinerary.

Day 1 - Leave from PA and stayed in a random hotel (4 hrs north).

Days 2/3 - Booked a house on the beach at Kittery Point, ME (3 more hours north).

Day 4/5 - Booked a house in Bar Harbor/Acadia (3 more hours north)

Day 6 -  Booked a house in Old Orchard Beach (funny northern beach town - kinda tries to be like a NJ "down the shore" town - 3 hours South)

Day 7 - Booked a house in Mystic, CT (cool town/beach - Taylor Swift has a gigantic mansion / pennisula / lighthouse on the beach - 3 hours South).

Day 8 - Home.

As far as things we did along the way, I downloaded the "TV Foods Map" and we stopped at every top rated restaurant along the way for a Lobster Roll. I must've ate a dozen that week. So good.

I've been to Boston a bunch so I'm trying to find places I've never been that the family can enjoy as a whole.  I thought about maybe going out on the cape, since I've never been.  But honestly, I don't know if there's really anything out there to see.
You take take the ferry to the vineyard or Nantucket to be with the beautiful people. Ptown is nice to walk around and take in the sights

You take take the ferry to the vineyard or Nantucket to be with the beautiful people. Ptown is nice to walk around and take in the sights
When I was young, we had a bunch of vacations on Martha's Vineyard.  Cool place.  But again, I've been there a bunch so it doesn't fit the trip criteria.

Also, I saw an episode of Man v. Food and he got a burger from a food truck/school bus in Burlington and, I'm not going to lie, my fat ### thought it looked good. :bag:   :porked:

And although it’s the largest city in Maine, Portland is a pretty small big city and well worth a stop. Great food and shopping. And the LL Bean outlet is just outside of town for additional shopping. 

Take the Casco Bay ferry line out to Peaks Island for some quirky shopping. Beautiful scenery as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I need something in Vermont.  Have to mark it off the list.  Figured Lake Champlain might have some cool spots to take pictures and maybe walk around.  
It does. I also hit Stowe when I was there. I was really into running at that time and they had a really scenic park or trail there. 

Also went to the capital of Vermont and had a meal there. It was a cool place but really, in my opinion Burlington is where it’s at. All you need really. 

I’m old and can’t remember the name of the capital lol. 

It does. I also hit Stowe when I was there. I was really into running at that time and they had a really scenic park or trail there. 

Also went to the capital of Vermont and had a meal there. It was a cool place but really, in my opinion Burlington is where it’s at. All you need really. 

Montpelier

Wait..I'm confused.  You're ending in Rhode Island, but where are you starting from?
I live outside of Philly.  Our trip would be drive up to VT, head across NH to ME, then down to RI.  The RI part isn't included in the trip planning.  So we'd be taking off a week, but whatever remains of that week after the driving part would be spent in RI.  Then we would drive home from there. 

great li'l Thai place just W of Montpelier's main drag and one of the best vinyl disc shops in NE just around the corner. America's littlest capital is a nice place.

great li'l Thai place just W of Montpelier's main drag and one of the best vinyl disc shops in NE just around the corner. America's littlest capital is a nice place.
The place I went was Mexican. It was on the left side of the main drag as you’re heading toward the capital. 

We went in a few shops in the area as well. 

My familiarity is limited primarily to NH and I'm overwhelmed trying to prioritize to fit all of that inside such a small window. I can't imagine 'something in Vermont,' then > 4 hours via the kancamangus to Mt Washington, then 5+ hours to Bar Harbor, then 6 hours down to RI - and feeling anything but rushed.

I think you either need more days or remove Vermont from the equation. Maybe take route 9 across the bottom of the state and if you can get Hogback on a clear day hop out of the car for a few minutes and take some pictures there. Burlington's a cool town, but it's real out of the way and I'd want to spend at least a whole day there. There is a lot to experience on and around the kancamangus, but again - not something I would want to rush. And the crawl up and down Mt Washington takes a lot of time.

The one thing I'll add - if the timing fits and you're making your way through Portsmouth then stop for lunch at Newick's. It's been quite a few years though - I just hope it hasn't changed.

I live outside of Philly.  Our trip would be drive up to VT, head across NH to ME, then down to RI.  The RI part isn't included in the trip planning.  So we'd be taking off a week, but whatever remains of that week after the driving part would be spent in RI.  Then we would drive home from there. 
I did this out of Rochester, NY.  I had a post here about it but it's been purged.  

Did 9 days,  brief summary

Day1: Rochester to Waterbury VT (Ben and Jerry's tour).  Drove through Lake Placid and took the ferry across Lake Champlain

Day2: Waterbury VT to  Bar Harbor ME, stopped at Mount Washington on the way and drove to the top.  This was a long day.

Day3: Rented bikes and toured Acadia in the AM, Walked out to the bar/island in the afternoon in low tide. 

Day4: Bar Harbor to Portsmouth NH.  Drove along Route 1 along the coast, stopped at many lighthouses.

Day5: Portsmouth NH to Cape Code MA.  Stopped at Hampton Beach and then Plymouth for a Mayflower 2 tour.

Day6: Cape Cod, drove around the cape to Provincetown and did sightseeing.

Day7: Cape Cod to Newport RI, visited Fort Adams,  then drove along the coast to Point Judith lighthouse ate at Aunt Carrie's and stopped at Scarborough State Beach which the kids loved.  Drove late into Boston

Day8: Toured Boston, Aquarium, Duck Tour, etc

Day9: Drive home from Boston to Rochester NY.

This was a lot of driving but we saw a lot.  Driving from Bar Harbor along the coast was really cool stopping at many sights.  Penobscot Narrows Bridge was cool.

I did this out of Rochester, NY.  I had a post here about it but it's been purged.  

Did 9 days,  brief summary

Day1: Rochester to Waterbury VT (Ben and Jerry's tour).  Drove through Lake Placid and took the ferry across Lake Champlain

Day2: Waterbury VT to  Bar Harbor ME, stopped at Mount Washington on the way and drove to the top.  This was a long day.

Day3: Rented bikes and toured Acadia in the AM, Walked out to the bar/island in the afternoon in low tide. 

Day4: Bar Harbor to Portsmouth NH.  Drove along Route 1 along the coast, stopped at many lighthouses.

Day5: Portsmouth NH to Cape Code MA.  Stopped at Hampton Beach and then Plymouth for a Mayflower 2 tour.

Day6: Cape Cod, drove around the cape to Provincetown and did sightseeing.

Day7: Cape Cod to Newport RI, visited Fort Adams,  then drove along the coast to Point Judith lighthouse ate at Aunt Carrie's and stopped at Scarborough State Beach which the kids loved.  Drove late into Boston

Day8: Toured Boston, Aquarium, Duck Tour, etc

Day9: Drive home from Boston to Rochester NY.

This was a lot of driving but we saw a lot.  Driving from Bar Harbor along the coast was really cool stopping at many sights.  Penobscot Narrows Bridge was cool.
Wait.  There was a sequel to the Mayflower?

OK, so I should have looked at a map instead of just going off of my old man's memory from planning this trip 2 years ago.

I looked at Bar Harbor and realized we ruled that out because of how far it was.  The plan was to stick more around the Portland area.  I pulled up some old Word docs that had preliminary planning on them and it turns out I didn't have a place in Maine picked out yet.  Just knew we wanted to hit the coast and try to drive down it a ways.  

So the final leg of the trip in ME would be to start near Portland and try to find a road that kind of hugs the coastline.  And if there's something to see in that area between Portland and the ME/NH border, that would be ideal.

So it would probably be:

Drive to Burlington and get a place.  Next day, check out the lake and surrounding area, then take off later and hit Ben & Jerry's.  Drive for a while and get a hotel closer to Mt. Washington.  Next day, is Mt. Washington.  Then head towards Portland and get another hotel.  Last day, drive down the coast of Maine ending in Newport, RI.

TheIronSheik said:
So it would probably be:

Drive to Burlington and get a place.  Next day, check out the lake and surrounding area, then take off later and hit Ben & Jerry's.  Drive for a while and get a hotel closer to Mt. Washington.  Next day, is Mt. Washington.  Then head towards Portland and get another hotel.  Last day, drive down the coast of Maine ending in Newport, RI.
Really good apple cider donut place in Waterbury, VT (location of Ben & Jerry's) called Cold Hollow.  While in Waterbury, if you like IPAs, pick up some Heady Topper.

Near Mount Washington, I love the town of North Conway, NH; it's a bit south of Mt. Washington.  It may not be ideal from the direction that you are coming from.  The Bretton Woods Omni might be most convenient for that, but also the more expensive option.  I think the drive up to the top of the mountain can be a bit scary (but I'm a bit of a wuss); Cog Railway is a pretty good way to go if you are similar.

In Portland, ME, harbor cruise is pretty nice.  The Portland Headlight is a pretty good stopping point too.  There's some good town/cities driving down the coast of Maine from Portland, like Kennebunkport (Bush compound) and Portsmouth, NH. But I'm not sure if you will have time for those.

Sheik-

Both glad and sorry to hear you are removing Acadia from the itinerary.  Glad because it is TOO far out of the way, sorry because it is really worthwhile.  I know you have your heart set on Burlington as your starting location, but I'd possibly think about exchanging that for Acadia.  You could still knock off Vermont by going up 91 and hitting Brattleboro and Quechee/Woodstock without going TOO far out of your way.  Burlington is a great city, but Ben & Jerry's tour is not worth the 5 minute drive IMO....can's speak to the sandwich you saw on TV.  ;)

If you are committed to Burlington then I'd suggest a quick stop in either Saratoga NY (Rte 87) or Quechee/Woodstock (Rte 91).

The on to Mt Washington with a drive via the Kancamangus (hiking as desired off the Kancamangus).  

Then across NH/ME via Rte 302 stopping in North Conway (hike to Diana's bath for cold swim on a hot day...15 minute hike each way) or Bridgton (hike Bald Pate if clear day - EZ hike...20 minutes each way) ending in Portland (great "little" city)

Travel from Portland to Newport with possible stops at Cape Elizabeth (lighthouse), Kennebunkport (beach) and/or Portsmouth NH (cool town with some good restaurants and shopping)

Caveats: the drive across VT, NH, and ME is time consuming but will take you through a bunch of small towns - some scenic, some decidedly NOT).  The drive from Portland ME to Newport in the summer will be mostly interstate highway BUT will require thoughtful planning as you could run into CONSIDERABLE traffic from YORK ME to Boston if you try to do it on Sunday afternoon OR 4th of July.  Also, avoid driving through MA during rush hour as Boston traffic will be BRUTAL.  When is rush "hour"?  In the summer it's weekdays from 6am to 9:30am and 1pm to 7pm!

Lastly, considerable a unifying theme(s) for your trip:

• Colleges and college towns might be interesting if your daughter is up for quick drives through: Middlebury, Dartmouth, UVM, etc.
  • Covered bridges: there are many of them in NH and ME that won't be too far off your x-Northern NE path
  • Lighthouses: will be 3-4 you could hit from Portland ME to Portsmouth NH

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
y, considerable a unifying theme(s) for your trip:

• Colleges and college towns might be interesting if your daughter is up for quick drives through: Middlebury, Dartmouth, UVM, etc.
  • Covered bridges: there are many of them in NH and ME that won't be too far off your x-Northern NE path
  • Lighthouses: will be 3-4 you could hit from Portland ME to Portsmouth NH
We've got these in spades at home.  

Appreciate this.  This is great.  :thumbup:

TheIronSheik said:
Also, I saw an episode of Man v. Food and he got a burger from a food truck/school bus in Burlington and, I'm not going to lie, my fat ### thought it looked good. :bag:   :porked:
Home wrecker?

TheIronSheik said:
Yes.  This was one of the places we wanted to see.  Does it have lighthouses?  Because we feel like we need to see a lighthouse if we're in Maine along the coast.
there is an awesome lighthouse in south portland maine or sopo as its called and also just check out portland it is pretty darned walkable and cool take that to the bank bromigo

I'm starting to cause myself worries.  While sites are busier on weekends, driving can be much worse during the week.  Not sure if it's better to attempt this drive around a weekend or during the week.

HellToupee said:
For me Vermont doesn’t have a lot going for it besides breweries . 
If  you are doing Mt Washington the Kancamagus is cool
Kancamagus is automatic.   When you get to the end of it go to Clark’s trading post.  Then stay in lake winne for a day or three.

Users who are viewing this thread