What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Hard Knocks 2020 - Rams & Chargers (1 Viewer)

Anyone know of an online betting site that has this future/prop bet live? Ive looked and cant find anything other than articles listing the odds. I have a Bovada account, and Ive seen Bovada listed as the source for odds, yet nothing comes up on the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arizona is willing to do it so they'll be it.  Would love to see the Steelers forced to do it though especially if they don't want to 

-QG

AZ would a lot of fun and makes the most sense.   I voted Jags though since I think it would be an interesting train wreck.   

Trying to decide which story line will be more exciting. On the chargers side you have Tyrod Taylor checking down or better yet running for 3 yard gains instead of taking the risk to throw the ball down field. On the Rams side of things you have a team making personnel moves to back-pedal towards a .500 record in a division where everyone else is improving. 

I assume this decision was made to highlight the new stadium(the league has cared about new stadiums more than players for a long time now) with the ironic twist that this stadium may not even get finished. 

Trying to decide which story line will be more exciting. On the chargers side you have Tyrod Taylor checking down or better yet running for 3 yard gains instead of taking the risk to throw the ball down field. On the Rams side of things you have a team making personnel moves to back-pedal towards a .500 record in a division where everyone else is improving. 

I assume this decision was made to highlight the new stadium(the league has cared about new stadiums more than players for a long time now) with the ironic twist that this stadium may not even get finished. 
Funny post with a hard truth -- I am willing to bet, given the pull Kroenke seemingly has among the league -- that he lobbied to be part of it to drive hype and attention around his stadium where both teams play at a time when he is struggling to pay for it. 

How is Hard Knocks even going to happen? Seems pretty superfluous (and dumb) to have cameramen and production crew around all the players, coaches, and their families when they're going to have a hard enough time just keeping the teams healthy in the first place. We're already talking about how unlikely it is a full season happens as things stand. Preseason has already been cancelled. But people are still writing articles about Hard Knocks like it's definitely happening?

How is Hard Knocks even going to happen? Seems pretty superfluous (and dumb) to have cameramen and production crew around all the players, coaches, and their families when they're going to have a hard enough time just keeping the teams healthy in the first place. We're already talking about how unlikely it is a full season happens as things stand. Preseason has already been cancelled. But people are still writing articles about Hard Knocks like it's definitely happening?
Because $$$$$$

Yes and I thought this was one of the best episodes in years. That's not a high bar because the show has become pretty formulaic and stale recently, but seeing the way both franchises were dealing with covid was really interesting.

Ratings way down for Hard Knocks

Did anybody in the FBG community watch the first episode? 
Not yet, but I recorded it. I think in general there is less overall interest in sports this year. Baseball still feels like Spring training, I watched one inning and then realized I don't care about this season. Many people I talk to about football are already checked out for the year or will start paying attention once the season starts.

Plus both of the teams have very small fan bases going by this chart so there are less people eager to watch their team:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240028/facebook-fans-of-national-football-league-teams/#:~:text=NFL teams - number of Facebook fans 2020&text=With 8.51 million fans%2C the,winners of the Super Bowl.

But this isn't even about the teams is it? I thought this was supposed to be an infomercial based on a stadium that isn't even built. The "star" of this season was supposed to be a scoreboard.

The NFL figuring out a way to lower viewership in the midst of a global pandemic where people are staying home more than ever has to be a new low bar for the league. But then again I don't know all the smart decisions the league is making BEHIND THE SCENES. Boy will I look foolish when they start rolling out those gems. Or so I've been told.

Haven't watched yet but will. The ratings were down I know. I'm sure many play that into doom. I think it's pretty obvious - Rams and Chargers draw less than any team. :shrug:  

The clips I've seen look awesome. 

But this isn't even about the teams is it? I thought this was supposed to be an infomercial based on a stadium that isn't even built. The "star" of this season was supposed to be a scoreboard.
Hi @BoltBacker  I don't understand what you mean here. Can you elaborate? This isn't about the players and the teams?

Hi @BoltBacker  I don't understand what you mean here. Can you elaborate? This isn't about the players and the teams?
I just think it's at least as much about the $10 Billion+ facility they are building as any players on an NFL team. That stadium is going to be the home of NFL Media and the NFL Network in 2021(assuming it doesn't get pushed back). In 2022 it's hosting the SuperBowl. In 2023 it's hosting the NCAA football championship. A few years beyond that it's hosting the Summer Olympics. 

Maybe I'm just getting salty as I get older but it seems to me the NFL is becoming more about what's in the best interest of it's real estate with each passing year and less about what's best for its players. Both the Rams and chargers are in decline. Two of the least popular, least followed teams in the NFL. I can't think of another reasonable reason those two teams were chosen other than the new building.

I just think it's at least as much about the $10 Billion+ facility they are building as any players on an NFL team. That stadium is going to be the home of NFL Media and the NFL Network in 2021(assuming it doesn't get pushed back). In 2022 it's hosting the SuperBowl. In 2023 it's hosting the NCAA football championship. A few years beyond that it's hosting the Summer Olympics. 

Maybe I'm just getting salty as I get older but it seems to me the NFL is becoming more about what's in the best interest of it's real estate with each passing year and less about what's best for its players. Both the Rams and chargers are in decline. Two of the least popular, least followed teams in the NFL. I can't think of another reasonable reason those two teams were chosen other than the new building.
Interesting, thanks. I haven't watched yet but I didn't understand at all the focus wasn't on the team or players.

I'd assume the new stadium would be a factor just because it's new and supposedly great. I'd expect the same if Dallas ever hosted Hard Knocks. 

I haven't got the sense at all the league is overly concerned with real estate. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Also @BoltBacker, don't want to assume but are you a Chargers fan? 
I'm a San Diego Charger fan. But they no longer exist, and I fully realize that the Los Angeles Chargers existed before I was born. Now I consider myself a bit of a free agent fan. The spanos family may have beat the idea of being a fan of any one team out of me, though. I'm still rooting for Rivers to excel in the best supporting cast he's had since the days of Schotty/Cam/Wade. 

I should probably be a Green Bay Packers fan because they are community owned so an owner can't blackmail tax payers into building them a stadium to fill 8 days a year. Coincidentally, the Packers also have the oldest stadium in the NFL. IMO real estate deals and tax payers contributing to billionaire owners and millionaire players have been a bigger part of NFL history than most people truly appreciate.

I watched it last night, thought it was great and very entertaining, especially seeing all the rigamaroo they have to go through for covid.  Also really liked the open dialogue they had about the current movement going in regards to police brutality/protests, etc.  

Looking forward to next week.

I'm a San Diego Charger fan. But they no longer exist, and I fully realize that the Los Angeles Chargers existed before I was born. Now I consider myself a bit of a free agent fan. The spanos family may have beat the idea of being a fan of any one team out of me, though. I'm still rooting for Rivers to excel in the best supporting cast he's had since the days of Schotty/Cam/Wade. 

I should probably be a Green Bay Packers fan because they are community owned so an owner can't blackmail tax payers into building them a stadium to fill 8 days a year. Coincidentally, the Packers also have the oldest stadium in the NFL. IMO real estate deals and tax payers contributing to billionaire owners and millionaire players have been a bigger part of NFL history than most people truly appreciate.
Ah I see. Thanks. I'm sorry about that for you and for San Diego. 

Ratings way down for Hard Knocks

Did anybody in the FBG community watch the first episode? 
It'll be interesting if this stays the same when they release streaming figures.  I'm sure they lost a lot of potential "viewers" when they came out with HBO max. For the same price you pay as an add-on through cable or satellite you can buy HBO max and get more stuff.  DISH network doesn't even offer HBO as an add-on anymore. 

The spanos family
I lived in SD (pacific beach) for a while. Rooted for the Chargers while I was there and even saw a couple games. The Spanos were outright liars. So were their GMs. Time and time again they would say something in a press release or in an interview that were obvious falsehoods and coverup attempts. I thought maybe as an outsider the locals couldn't see the forest for the trees or something. But eventually some 20+ years later it seems the lipstick no longer covers like it used to.

I lived in SD (pacific beach) for a while. Rooted for the Chargers while I was there and even saw a couple games. The Spanos were outright liars. So were their GMs. Time and time again they would say something in a press release or in an interview that were obvious falsehoods and coverup attempts. I thought maybe as an outsider the locals couldn't see the forest for the trees or something. But eventually some 20+ years later it seems the lipstick no longer covers like it used to.
Brother lived in SD (Mission Beach?) for a while in the nineties. Same thing to report. Spanos was always trying to bilk the public teat for a new stadium. San Diego was never really having it. So eventually the family moves up the road to L.A. for a sweetheart deal, only the deal winds up, as of now, being not so sweetheart-ish. I don't know how to really feel about the L.A. Chargers or L.A. Rams. Seems like two communities got left behind in the wake of a search for greener, more lucrative pastures. On one hand, I dislike the greed. On the other, Kroenke and Spanos not doing well is directly related to a pandemic that I hate.

I wish them success, if only because it means that the virus has lost. 

Users who are viewing this thread