What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL looking into a new playoff format and "Maybe" a extra game per team? (1 Viewer)

Archiebonker

Footballguy
  I guess the NFL is looking to add two teams to the NFL format and the owners would like to push for a extra week in the Regular season. Love to hear what you guys think and what does this do to fantasy leagues? 

I'm curious how the extra week in the Reg Season would change how the schedule would look like and if adding members to the league would work. 

I guess the NFL is looking to add two teams to the NFL format and the owners would like to push for a extra week in the Regular season. Love to hear what you guys think and what does this do to fantasy leagues? 

I'm curious how the extra week in the Reg Season would change how the schedule would look like and if adding members to the league would work. 
I am fine with eliminating a couple preseason games but I don't want them moving the start of the regular season to August.   On the other hand I am not a fan of extending the season into January either.   Oh it's fine if your team is in the hunt in the final week but if you're a season ticket holder of a meaningless January game in a cold climate it is the suck.

However if they insist on adding a regular season game they should expand the roster by a little and allow all players on the active roster be eligible on game day. 

I am also not a fan of adding another playoff team.  6 is fine for each conference in my opinion.

I'll have to agree with you on the playoff format. I like the NFL format at the moment. But I think (selfishly) it would be a lot of fun to have a extra game per team. Its neat to think about when it comes to Fantasy Football.   

I don't mind the cold weather games. I think most of the fans in the NFL are weak and spoiled. Sometimes when the games are cold, the more true fans come out and it's usually a bigger party. lol

I don't mind the cold weather games.
I love cold weather games....from the comfort of my living room. But seriously love watching them on TV.

I'd be shocked if they started the season earlier. The sports calendar is February, other then the SB, is fairly awful at a time when it's cold across the nation and a lot of people are stuck inside. With all due respect to what was actually a very good NBA All-Star game this past weekend it still did not start until Sunday night and these past two February weekends were brutally bare for sports viewing. That's the timeframe I anticipate they will seize.

i also heard that they were looking at adding one game to the Regular season, but that game being a neutral site (other countries or cities).  Than having those teams getting their bye week after the travel week.   I love that idea. 

They're bound and determined to wreck this whole thing, aren't they?

Part of the allure of following football is the feeling of scarcity and lack which creates pent up demand.

They mess around with expanding the season/playoffs it'll water down the experience like the NBA/NHL where all but two teams make the playoffs. Yuck.

I'll have to agree with you on the playoff format. I like the NFL format at the moment. But I think (selfishly) it would be a lot of fun to have a extra game per team. Its neat to think about when it comes to Fantasy Football.   

I don't mind the cold weather games. I think most of the fans in the NFL are weak and spoiled. Sometimes when the games are cold, the more true fans come out and it's usually a bigger party. lol
If the game has meaning then sure.   

It is asking a hell of a lot for fans to come out of their house on a Sunday and drive in inclimate weather, pay for parking, pay insane prices for beer and food to sit in a sub-freezing stadium to watch two teams that have nothing to play for go through the motions of playing a game that is being shown for free on TV

It is asking a hell of a lot for fans to come out of their house on a Sunday and drive in inclimate weather, pay for parking, pay insane prices for beer and food to sit in a sub-freezing stadium to watch two teams that have nothing to play for go through the motions of playing a game that is being shown for free on TV
Amen!!! Have been offered tickets to late season games when my team was already toast and especially if cold/wet I'd rather paying my living room ...and I hate painting

i also heard that they were looking at adding one game to the Regular season, but that game being a neutral site (other countries or cities).  Than having those teams getting their bye week after the travel week.   I love that idea. 
Along the same lines, I hope they schedule byes better.  I can't think of any good reason why a team needs a Week 4 bye, and IMO it's detrimental to them when they're playing a tough Week 12 game and their opponent is coming off their bye, meanwhile the first team is now all banged up because of the wasted bye so early. 

I like the new format only in the sense that 7 teams means only one Bye, the team with the best record. Everyone else plays a game and I'm fine with that. Of course, the extra game will probably length the fantasy football season...

totally cool with adding another game.....

but HATE adding another two playoff teams....format seems perfect the way it is...

that would be 14 of 32 making the playoffs and that seems a little high to me.....it's been bad enough in the past when some .500 teams make it.....now it will be even worse...

also sucks that the #2 seed would not get a bye.....and that the #1 seed and the bye could come down to some deep stupid tie breaker if the #1 and #2 don't happen to play each other during the year....

I like the new format only in the sense that 7 teams means only one Bye, the team with the best record. Everyone else plays a game and I'm fine with that. Of course, the extra game will probably length the fantasy football season...
but what if two teams have the same record.....and they didn't play each other....then you are sliding down to some stupid tie breaker to determine a HUGE advantage.....

but what if two teams have the same record.....and they didn't play each other....then you are sliding down to some stupid tie breaker to determine a HUGE advantage.....
What's the difference between that and right now if #2 and #3 in the conference have the same record and didn't play each other?

I would love to see the extra game. I'm not a fan of adding playoff teams though.  

I would like to see them give only 1 Bye week per team and use that extra game as a Neutral Game. Different country.  Than get their byes right after that,. 

As for Fantasy Football.  I would love to try to come up with a new Schedule format if they have the extra week. 

totally cool with adding another game.....

but HATE adding another two playoff teams....format seems perfect the way it is...

that would be 14 of 32 making the playoffs and that seems a little high to me.....it's been bad enough in the past when some .500 teams make it.....now it will be even worse...

also sucks that the #2 seed would not get a bye.....and that the #1 seed and the bye could come down to some deep stupid tie breaker if the #1 and #2 don't happen to play each other during the year....
Agree wholeheartedly. Think the change is dumb but the almighty dollar rules.

Of everything, this makes the most sense. Also should try to do this for Thursday games, give them the previous week as a bye.

Agree, make the out of country or city games the Thursday games and give them the bye after. Could really work well for the NFL

They're bound and determined to wreck this whole thing, aren't they?

Part of the allure of following football is the feeling of scarcity and lack which creates pent up demand.

They mess around with expanding the season/playoffs it'll water down the experience like the NBA/NHL where all but two teams make the playoffs. Yuck.
Actually, the NHL format is good. Only 50% of the teams make the playoffs. 

What's the difference between that and right now if #2 and #3 in the conference have the same record and didn't play each other?
nothing....I just think it sucks......you could have tied for the best record in the conference and you lose the bye because of some 3rd level strength of schedule tiebreaker or something that is dependent on what other people do or don't do (players sitting out the last weeks, tanking, etc).....I realize technically you could have 3 or 4 teams tied with the same record and these things would come into play for seeding, and you can say "win more games" or whatever, but it just feels dirty if your tied and it has to go to some tiebreaker down the line for such a huge advantage....and making that 2 seed play a game against some 7-9 team that sneaks in....now there really is no difference between having the 2-4 seeds....IMO it was perfect as is.... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that it is good the way it is. Don’t want anymore football games (regular or postseason). The limited games are what makes it interesting and watering it down will probably just be the breaking point of me not caring anymore. The games are already harder to watch. Not interested in more injuries and possible more  “rest games” for certain players. The league will eventually start losing viewership.

If anything if they want to add a playoff game make it a play-in game for one of the wild card spots. Eliminating a bye week for one team is a huge mistake. I guess this is what greed looks. Thanks for trying to screw up my favorite sport NFL.

I'm definitely not a fan of a 17-game schedule.  It makes no sense to add another game.  I've said this before, and I'll say it again: THE ONLY YOU'RE GOING TO GET MORE THAN A 16-GAME SCHEDULE IS BY ADDING MORE TEAMS TO THE LEAGUE, AND I SURE AS HECK DON'T SEE THAT HAPPENING ANYTIME SOON!

nothing....I just think it sucks......you could have tied for the best record in the conference and you lose the bye because of some 3rd level strength of schedule tiebreaker or something that is dependent on what other people do or don't do (players sitting out the last weeks, tanking, etc).....I realize technically you could have 3 or 4 teams tied with the same record and these things would come into play for seeding, and you can say "win more games" or whatever, but it just feels dirty if your tied and it has to go to some tiebreaker down the line for such a huge advantage....and making that 2 seed play a game against some 7-9 team that sneaks in....now there really is no difference between having the 2-4 seeds....IMO it was perfect as is.... 
Your right... it does suck.   Hey, let's give some 9-7 team a shot to upset the #2 seed in a one and done play-off format.  Really lessens the importance of the regular season.

The billionaires aren't making enough money. 
Apparently neither are the players, because they are likely going to vote it in based on the extra $5B (yes, that's billion) that will go to them with the extra games. It's not like the owners alone can make this happen.

Apparently neither are the players, because they are likely going to vote it in based on the extra $5B (yes, that's billion) that will go to them with the extra games. It's not like the owners alone can make this happen.
You've  got a point there son.

Hmm. I didn't think about it this way. I might actually enjoy that. Fantasy is probably the biggest thing keeping me watching football. That would likely allow most standards leagues to stretch from an annoying 13 game season to a nice even 14 game season, where playoffs are then played 15-17.

Agree, make the out of country or city games the Thursday games and give them the bye after. Could really work well for the NFL
I'd rather they play a Thursday game the week after their bye week. Give them 10 days off instead of 3 before the Thursday, along with 9 days off after instead of 16.

Owners are a lot smarter than the players. Owners have a lot more money. Owners have a lot more power. Just as any corporation does over its workers. And NFL essentially a monopoly.

It’s weak and spoiled not to live in or go see a football game in horrible weather :lmao:   :loco:  

For me now it is asking a lot to go to any game, pay for parking, insane beer prices, and sit in 70 degree or a climate controlled arena.  Would much rather watch at home on a 60inch HDTV with cold beer, food in the fridge and a restroom feet away.

I live 30 minutes from downtown Detroit, 20 minutes from downtown Ann Arbor.   We have friends who tailgate every home Lion and Michigan game.  My wife and I go tailgate with friends, have some beers, food and feel the game day energy.  Then when everybody else goes inside to the game we go home or a local pub and watch. 

I'm the kind of guy who has never once complained about Thursday night football. I want more football. I don't want it watered down to a point the season becomes trivial but when they went from 14 to 16 games and from 5 playoff teams to 6 I did not feel a negative impact. Don't think this will either.

Based on what I understand a 17 game schedule is going to come with two byes so we got a 19 week season. I'm here for that big time.

With respect to playoffs again I don't think the extra team making it is going to bastardize things to much, being the #1 seed just become extra special and wild card weekend will be incredible with what I assume is triple headers on Saturday and Sunday. Yes to all of that.

For fantasy purposes I also am big on this for a few reasons. I play in a lot of the high stakes leagues that have 11 or 12 week regular seasons. Probably number one thing I hate about those formats. No guarantees they change their format but this gives me more hope of a 1-2 week longer season. With the anticipated extra bye week depth is going to become more critical and I like to think this actually helps the better fantasy players who do a better job on back end of their roster.

I'm the kind of guy who has never once complained about Thursday night football. I want more football. I don't want it watered down to a point the season becomes trivial but when they went from 14 to 16 games and from 5 playoff teams to 6 I did not feel a negative impact. Don't think this will either.

Based on what I understand a 17 game schedule is going to come with two byes so we got a 19 week season. I'm here for that big time.

With respect to playoffs again I don't think the extra team making it is going to bastardize things to much, being the #1 seed just become extra special and wild card weekend will be incredible with what I assume is triple headers on Saturday and Sunday. Yes to all of that.

For fantasy purposes I also am big on this for a few reasons. I play in a lot of the high stakes leagues that have 11 or 12 week regular seasons. Probably number one thing I hate about those formats. No guarantees they change their format but this gives me more hope of a 1-2 week longer season. With the anticipated extra bye week depth is going to become more critical and I like to think this actually helps the better fantasy players who do a better job on back end of their roster.
Fair enough but had this been in place last year the Duck Hodges-led Steelers would have played the Chiefs in KC in the first round of the playoffs.   :X

Fair enough but had this been in place last year the Duck Hodges-led Steelers would have played the Chiefs in KC in the first round of the playoffs.   :X
Yea not such a good game that would have been but then again as a fellow Steeler fan with no first round pick, so nothing to lose by sucking, I'd have been ok with at least being in the dance no matter how faint the hope or big the beating.

Now I will say on this subject, and not sure it would have mattered last year because I think Rams would have made it in NFC and Chicago with same 8-8 record as Pittsburgh would have been the NFC team just missing out. But I'd have really liked to see them come up with a formula where the 7th seed in the playoffs is not bound by conference.

Whether you play a week 16 or 17 Super Bowl this should just about eliminate problems of players sitting out during your playoffs.

19 >17

I thought of this years before, about adding a neutral site game for each team.  But I think the way to accomplish it would be to reduce the pre-season by two games, add the neutral site game, and then add a 2nd bye for each team, specifically scheduled either before/after the neutral site game.

Edit to add: And the way to get the NFLPA to back it: automatically add 2 "game checks" per existing contract.  The NFL has boatloads of money, and they're really pushing this to get the new TV deals done.  So, automatically add the equivalent of 2 games per existing contract, even though the schedule is only increasing by one game.  (They also need to increase the amount players earn in the playoffs.)

I thought of this years before, about adding a neutral site game for each team.  But I think the way to accomplish it would be to reduce the pre-season by two games, add the neutral site game, and then add a 2nd bye for each team, specifically scheduled either before/after the neutral site game.
Yes, totally agree with all that.  The Out of Country games are good for the League. Two bye weeks per team is good for the players. Reducing the the Pre-season games is good for everyone. Like someone on here was saying, have the Pre Season game the week before going out of country. 

I like it for Fantasy too, having a extra week for league play is great ! 

On the playoff change, you are just tossing another two 8-8 or 9-7 teams into the playoffs that doesn't deserve to be there.  Just adds another  2 spot for owners to sell fans they are a "playoff" team, and keep a couple more teams interested in that "still in the hunt" stat.

On the 17th game, really curious what the NFL would do to set that match-up and how it would affect the relatively "even" split of games currently.  Mathematically the current schedule sets up really nicely.  Will the NFL try to set up "money" games for them that give them the high draw they want on big days?  Will they find some new mathematical way to do it, cross AFC-NFC and play the team with the rank you ended last year with.  Just seems like a lot of room for the NFL to screw teams trying to get in the playoffs because they want to see a certain matchup.

On the playoff change, you are just tossing another two 8-8 or 9-7 teams into the playoffs that doesn't deserve to be there.  Just adds another  2 spot for owners to sell fans they are a "playoff" team, and keep a couple more teams interested in that "still in the hunt" stat.

On the 17th game, really curious what the NFL would do to set that match-up and how it would affect the relatively "even" split of games currently.  Mathematically the current schedule sets up really nicely.  Will the NFL try to set up "money" games for them that give them the high draw they want on big days?  Will they find some new mathematical way to do it, cross AFC-NFC and play the team with the rank you ended last year with.  Just seems like a lot of room for the NFL to screw teams trying to get in the playoffs because they want to see a certain matchup.
I would think the "extra" game would have to go on some type of cycle like the current one...... where you would kind of know ahead of time....they can't just say KC you are playing BAL because we think it will be good TV every year.....

On the radio last night they went through every season for the last 10 years (so with AFC and NFC 20 occurrences) and no below .500 team would have been a wildcard during that time and only once would it have even been an 8-8 team. About 25% of the time it would have been a 10-6 team that would have made it in with the last spot. This "watered down" talk is way overblown.

Live NFL games hold 0 advantages over TV now.

Why would you subject yourself to that?  Forget the weather - just the unbelievable tedium of timeouts, reviews, penalties, bad food, expensive beer, random aholes in the crowd......

On the radio last night they went through every season for the last 10 years (so with AFC and NFC 20 occurrences) and no below .500 team would have been a wildcard during that time and only once would it have even been an 8-8 team. About 25% of the time it would have been a 10-6 team that would have made it in with the last spot. This "watered down" talk is way overblown.
I've no doubt and certainly there is a point when it gets to be to much but I'd be willing to bet when they went from 14 to 16 games and 5 playoff teams to 6 everyone was making the same gripes and complaints they are making now.

I would think the "extra" game would have to go on some type of cycle like the current one...... where you would kind of know ahead of time....they can't just say KC you are playing BAL because we think it will be good TV every year.....
When they talked about 17 games before, they talked about trying to create out of division rivalries, something like trying a yearly Chicago/Indy game because they are close in location but usually don't play each other.  That artificial setup screws with competitive balance, so it still worries me the NFL would try something like that, after all, this is all about money/ratings.

I would hope you are right though.

Thats why i think the idea of making the extra game being the Neutral site games. That way they know they have the Bye week before and there could be a few Neutral games that week.  Good for promoting the game and $$$

When they talked about 17 games before, they talked about trying to create out of division rivalries, something like trying a yearly Chicago/Indy game because they are close in location but usually don't play each other.  That artificial setup screws with competitive balance, so it still worries me the NFL would try something like that, after all, this is all about money/ratings.

I would hope you are right though.
And taking away one of the byes makes each and every game even more magnified/important.....it wouldn't really be fair for the NFL to just try and think ahead to what would be good TV matchups....and there would have to be some consistency because as you start going down the tiebreaker road, conference winning percentage, etc comes into play....so you can't really like have the Chiefs playing an NFC team for an extra game but BAL plays an AFC team....

And taking away one of the byes makes each and every game even more magnified/important.....it wouldn't really be fair for the NFL to just try and think ahead to what would be good TV matchups....and there would have to be some consistency because as you start going down the tiebreaker road, conference winning percentage, etc comes into play....so you can't really like have the Chiefs playing an NFC team for an extra game but BAL plays an AFC team....
I agree, I think the only "fair" way is to match NFC vs AFC the equivalent team from last years standings, only problem for the NFL is that guarantees a bunch of stinkers.

Users who are viewing this thread