What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: The offseason begins. (2 Viewers)

My initial thought is that the chance of seeing Tua in live game action in the first half of the season is close to zero. Depending on how the season is going, how Fitz and/or Rosen are playing, and how the medical staff feels about Tua's progress, I do believe there is a chance we see him get some real game reps towards the end of the season. I don't think 2020 will be a full blown red shirt season for Tua. :2cents:
Agreed.  IF (if) this was a normal NFL season you’d see him get some snaps in preseason and maybe a package or two in the regular season.  With all the uncertainty and the hip and the need for cohesion of the o line why throw  him to the wolves?  Let him get healthy and learn under Fitzpatrick and wait to see if the oline acquisitions solidify and then put him out there.  If the phins somehow contend with Fitzpatrick then why rush it, and if they don’t then if the season “normalizes “ give him a game or two at the end assuming he is in shape. 

A few thoughts and I'm still thinking about what they have done and what they could have perhaps grabbed, hindsight is 20/20. 

-How often are these guys wrong? On one website I saw like 3 grades leading up to Miami of A+, A, A+, then Miami earns a B-/C and the next guy is A+, that just cannot be right IMHO. I'm talking 2nd, 3rd rounds, Miami did not earn high praise as a whole from many different outlets. They weren't ripped apart but a lot of folks question some of their picks. 

-They needed to rebuild their OL, they grabbed two players in free agency likely to see a lot of snaps and better than what they had on the roster. They then added 3 more in the Draft and while they took some major heat for taking Jackson in the first, they seemed to get good marks on the next two prospect. Hunt seems to be a solid guy who can come in and start, it just seems he is unlikely to make it at Tackle and so I have to think Flowers is going to LG which is where he did well in DC. I can't figure out who is starting at LT just yet. If Jackson needs time and Davis is really a RT. But they are light years ahead of last year. I haven't even mentioned Kindley who i think will be pretty rock solid, Dieter from the 3rd round last year likely won't be starting at either OG spot, he might not make it or the last guy on the bench for now. 

-I'm trying to temper some enthusiasm about this defense but it hasn't looked this good on paper since I'll say Taylor-Thomas-Madsion-Surtain, that was a pretty awesome defense for a short time in the late 90s. Prior to that would be maybe the Jeff Cross-Bryan Cox-Troy Vincent era when Shula was still around. 

The defense is going to keep them in a lot of football games this season. Fitz needs to really be careful of ball security, the games are going to be a lot closer. 

-We lost Minka Fitzpatrick for Austin Jackson, just think about that as this kid gets going the next couple years because it's going to hang over him until he shows he can anchor one of the Tackle spots. 

-Look at what Miami did Day 3...Kindley who most think can start at OG pretty quickly. They trade for Breida to pair with Howard. Jason Strongbow, Strawbridge, nope that's not right, Strowbridge, this kid will make his presence felt on special teams and blocking FG kicks, solid back up for the DL. 

Then they grab Weaver late and he had a 2nd/3rd round grade, you wonder why they didn't take him before Strowbong but who cares, we got him and he is the ALL TIME Mountain West Sack leader playing only 3 years at Boise St, he wears #99 and he isn't a good athlete but somehow finds the QB, again sign me up. This is one of their best picks of the whole draft, they have had no pass rush so there will be lots of snaps for this kid on passing situations. After this they took a LS from LSU, Ferguson is coming here for leadership. And finally they take Perry from Navy who we all know will never be lining up at QB for Miami, but he might see action at both RB and potentially a slot WR. Or they cut him after camp.

And Finally they traded their last 7th round pick and flipped it to Seattle for a 6th next year. Good move.  

Last edited by a moderator:
LS-Pepper who unseated Denney last year has been Released

That means Ferguson is basically assured a roster spot. 

RB-Samaje Perine also cut 

-How often are these guys wrong? On one website I saw like 3 grades leading up to Miami of A+, A, A+, then Miami earns a B-/C and the next guy is A+, that just cannot be right IMHO. I'm talking 2nd, 3rd rounds, Miami did not earn high praise as a whole from many different outlets. They weren't ripped apart but a lot of folks question some of their picks. 

-We lost Minka Fitzpatrick for Austin Jackson, just think about that as this kid gets going the next couple years because it's going to hang over him until he shows he can anchor one of the Tackle spots. 
- I think they are right a LOT of the time. Year after year the scouting community would praise Ozzy Newsome for his drafts and lambaste people like Matt Millen. It always makes me wonder why a cheap team like CIN doesn't just listen to "draft twitter" more often. Obviously they miss on players, everyone misses on players, but overall I think the draft community is pretty sharp. The reason MIA got some criticism past pick #1 is they took a mix of players that have high floors but low ceilings and high ceilings and low floors.... which isn't a bad way to do it if you rebuilding an entire roster imo.

That said, it's still very satisfying when so much of draft community preach, "Just trust the tape" but when MIA floats it out there that Herbert or an OLman might be a target then draft-twitter is convinced Tua falls to the middle of the draft. If you just trust the tape then WAS, DET, and the NYG made a big mistake. If you don't KNOW the medicals then why would you assume they are all bad. Oh, and I LOVE the "two anonymous GM's say they don't think Tua can get out of bed in the morning without breaking a wrist" in April. Yeesh did they have their chains yanked.

- Completely agree on your Minka point. At #18/#70 Miami took Jackson(OT)/Brandon Jones(S). Without the Minka trade the could have had Minka/Josh Jones(OT at pick #70). I know which pair of player I would rather have... and it's really not all that close.

They had to trade Minkah guys. He wanted out, was a whining malcontent. His mother took to Twitter for Christ sakes. I was really taken aback by how much of a pre-maddona he became.

Good riddance. If someone is not buying in.....you ship them out. And that is exactly what they did.

Personally? I would have drafted Either Swift or Taylor (The more I think about it the more I think Taylor will be a star RB for the next 3-4 years as I love his frame and more importantly what is between the ears and behind his chest). 

But.....the Dolphins want earth movers.....and lots of them. Picking up Breida was a great move to pair up with Howard. As long as he can stay healthy (which he seems to always get nicked up) that can form a very solid 1-2 punch at RB for the next two years easy. RB’s are always available in the draft and on the wire. It is one of the easier and for lack of a better term more disposable positions in the NFL. If you have a dominate OL which the Dolphins are building hopefully.....you can use a lot of different backs and get the same results when holes are opened like the red sea. See the Titans......Henry is not a special back. Put him on last years Dolphins team and he rushes for 500 yards.....maybe. All he has to do was run into the pile with the Titans.....and he got 5 yards. That is how dominate that OL was last season.

It is all about the trenches. Always. So I am trusting the tape and Austin is a big big man. He could be our LT for the next 10 years. He was drafted to be just that in fact. 

Agreed.  IF (if) this was a normal NFL season you’d see him get some snaps in preseason and maybe a package or two in the regular season.  With all the uncertainty and the hip and the need for cohesion of the o line why throw  him to the wolves?  Let him get healthy and learn under Fitzpatrick and wait to see if the oline acquisitions solidify and then put him out there.  If the phins somehow contend with Fitzpatrick then why rush it, and if they don’t then if the season “normalizes “ give him a game or two at the end assuming he is in shape. 
I also feel Fitz can lead this team to a few more wins than last season even though they didn't load him up with much in weapons. They did however find a nice make shift RB duo that will see plenty of carries. And i want to discuss Fitz a little deeper than most of us have, I'm guilty of assuming Tua will take over quickly but I also would like to see him sit and learn, carry a clipboard and just like college, wait for his opportunity to come in and do something special. I do believe that Tua will make a great leader that others will rally around at least until he proves or disproves his NFL abilities. But let's go back to Fitz. 

-Miami is now his 8th NFL team, he truly is the definition of an NFL journeyman but at times he has shown an ability to lead a team that has talent around him or a strong defense that can set him up with short fields and cover up Ryan's ability to turn the ball over usually with costly interceptions, that's always held him back. When he is on, he is an NFL bargain. 

Completion % 2011- 62%...2012- 60%...2013-62%...2014-63% and he did that on 3 different teams Buf/TN/HOU and his last 2 seasons are 66% and 62%. 

-Outside of 10-6 with Buffalo, his best record as a starter was 6-6 and he only threw 8 Interceptions over that span, Miami has to show him he can actually win games letting the defense make plays and sometimes just being a game manager. The more Miami runs the ball effectively, the easier time he will have on play action down the field which he is pretty good at actually, try and remember he led this team in rushing last year, that simply will NOT happen this year. If it does, we might be in the running for Lawrence after all. 

The Minkah trade was process over results. The Steelers reeled off like 7 straight wins where they trailed in the 2nd half after the trade. Most cases, that roster loses a couple more games and that pick is Becton or Wirfs. Didn't happen that way this time.

Even as it played out, Jackson plays a more important position, and will still be in the middle of his rookie contract when the dolphins are targeting to compete. Even though Minkah looks like an all-pro, Jackson doesn't need to be an all-pro for the trade to work out for Miami. He just needs to be a good starter.

jtd13 said:
The Minkah trade was process over results. The Steelers reeled off like 7 straight wins where they trailed in the 2nd half after the trade. Most cases, that roster loses a couple more games and that pick is Becton or Wirfs. Didn't happen that way this time.

Even as it played out, Jackson plays a more important position, and will still be in the middle of his rookie contract when the dolphins are targeting to compete. Even though Minkah looks like an all-pro, Jackson doesn't need to be an all-pro for the trade to work out for Miami. He just needs to be a good starter.
Minka wasn't a Flores type of guy so he was shown the door, same for Stills, Reshad, etc. The best thing to happen last year was Flores changing the culture of the franchise. Now we can sit back and enjoy the next 5-7 years. 

Fins Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dolphins team leader in sacks last season and former 1st Round pick of the Dallas Cowboys, Taco Charlton has been cut.

-Good stuff when Miami starts releasing players they were basically just utilizing out of necessity as much as anything last year. 

-It speaks volumes about what they have brought in over the last 12-15 months to overhaul the Defensive Line. 

And as soon as that news gets out it looks like Miami is also taking out some more trash and have traded former 1st round pick in 2017, Charles Harris to the Atlanta Falcons

Charles Harris-Traded

Good luck and you were a total whiff and disaster here. 

-Looks like only a 7th round pick...Grier was working and part of the Draft team back then, this is not a good thing for his record but it's good that Miami is moving on quickly and this team is going to compete this year. 

Dolphins team leader in sacks last season and former 1st Round pick of the Dallas Cowboys, Taco Charlton has been cut.

-Good stuff when Miami starts releasing players they were basically just utilizing out of necessity as much as anything last year. 

-It speaks volumes about what they have brought in over the last 12-15 months to overhaul the Defensive Line. 
Could have had Watt with that 2017 1st rd pick.

Dolphins gain about 1.9 million in cap space with 1.5 million in dead money with this move.

Looking more & more they going with a 34 based scheme.

This move now gives them 10 picks in 2021.

Tunsil, Harris, Minkah...all recent first round picks.  All gone.  It is reassuring though that 2 of the 3 are still playing at levels that justify the picks...just not for us.  That said, I was fine with the Tunsil and Minkah trades at the time.  Didnt think the Pitt pick would end up being so late at the time.

A lot of talk about the Dolphins and Logan Ryan out there. Given the 3 CB's they now have after the draft is it trying to drive the price up on the Jets or could they have concerns with XH and his off the field issues and be looking to be prepared because they think the other shoe is going to drop or they want to move him?

Phins in shells and helmets today and then moving to contact on Monday. Those of you down in South Florida any rumors about how Tua or anyone else has looked so far ? 

Three Yards Per Carry

@3YardsPerCarry

Meaningless Stat compilation on Tua so far...(rough numbers), 37-58, 9 TD's, 2 INT's, 5 sacks given up, (another Int. on a batted ball, on a 2pt. cov)

Rosen to start season as the #2 ?  That is not a good sign unless they just feel that Tua needs  a little more time to be back fully in shape and up to speed on the offense.

I wouldn't read anything into it.  trade bait. more experience with the NFL game.  etc... from reports Josh has been good so far.  

per Ian Rapoport.... Plot twist: The #Dolphins are trading RB Kalen Ballage to the #Jets for a conditional late-round pick, source said. Miami had planned to release him, but NYJ stepped in before it was official and the two have a deal.

Simply put, the OL cannot run block at all. Their pass blocking is questionable but you have 2 rookies to my knowledge with Austin Jackson-LT playing the whole way and Solomon Kindley-RG lined up the entire time as well. 

Fitz completes 66% of his passes but throws 3 terrible interceptions that killed the Miami drives. Again they cannot run block so it's predicated on Fitz working his magic thru the air when he isn't being picked off.  I do not think it is Tua Time though and don't believe he will fare much better right now. 

The defense could not stop the run, score was not indicative of how one sided this game was for the Patriots, Miami wasn't really competitive. 

Where are the DeVante Parker lovers or folks who thought he was worth the money? Already banged up. 

0-1, Schedule ahead...

BUF-Loss, @Jax-?, SEA-Loss, @SF-Loss, @Den-Loss(High altitude), LAC-?, LARams-Loss, @AZ-Loss, NYJ-Win, @NYJ-Loss, CIN-?, KC-Loss, NewEng-Loss, @LV-Loss, @Buff-Loss

I have them at best going 4-12 right now, could easily slip into the 2-14 range with no punch on offense. 

Can we pass on Trevor if we find ourselves in the running for him come 2021? I would trade Tua honestly. Just putting it out there. 

Where are the DeVante Parker lovers or folks who thought he was worth the money? Already banged up. 
He fell to the 6.10 range so I took him as my WR3. I'm still on board. There will be some shootouts with MIA & Parker will be solid for FF. 

Until he gets back I have Crowder to keep the seat warm. I would not have invested in Parker at his 4.xx ADP, but he was hard to pass up in the 6th. Too early to say if he was worth the $. 

0-1, Schedule ahead...

BUF-Loss, @Jax-?, SEA-Loss, @SF-Loss, @Den-Loss(High altitude), LAC-?, LARams-Loss, @AZ-Loss, NYJ-Win, @NYJ-Loss, CIN-?, KC-Loss, NewEng-Loss, @LV-Loss, @Buff-Loss

I have them at best going 4-12 right now, could easily slip into the 2-14 range with no punch on offense. 

Can we pass on Trevor if we find ourselves in the running for him come 2021? I would trade Tua honestly. Just putting it out there. 
The Jets might be worse. It will be hard to get Trevor, but we could be in the running due to the hard schedule. I would consider taking him if he's the consensus QB. But let's see what The can do first.

I'm worried about the offense, not so much because of Fitzpatrick, but more because of the lack of a playmaker, if Parker's hamstring continues to be an issue. And I'm not convinced about Chan Gailey who came out of a 3 year retirement at age 68.

The Jets might be worse. It will be hard to get Trevor, but we could be in the running due to the hard schedule. I would consider taking him if he's the consensus QB. But let's see what The can do first.

I'm worried about the offense, not so much because of Fitzpatrick, but more because of the lack of a playmaker, if Parker's hamstring continues to be an issue. And I'm not convinced about Chan Gailey who came out of a 3 year retirement at age 68.
Kind of makes you wonder what Miami is really up to here...

What are the homer thoughts on Gaskins and the whole RB situation overall?
Poor OL

LT-Austin Jackson(rookie) LG-Flowers(Many thought overpaid), C-Ted Karras(Former Patriot), RG-Solomon Kindley(Rookie), RT-Jesse Davis(Marginal Starter) 

They played all 62 snaps together, technically allowed 1-sack but there were more QB pressures to add to the mix, in general cannot run block to save their life right now. No holes to run thru vs New England. Play calling was questionable i think. 

Poor OL

LT-Austin Jackson(rookie) LG-Flowers(Many thought overpaid), C-Ted Karras(Former Patriot), RG-Solomon Kindley(Rookie), RT-Jesse Davis(Marginal Starter) 

They played all 62 snaps together, technically allowed 1-sack but there were more QB pressures to add to the mix, in general cannot run block to save their life right now. No holes to run thru vs New England. Play calling was questionable i think. 
Thanks - if the line gets it together, who do you think stands the best chance (if anyone) at emerging?

Thanks - if the line gets it together, who do you think stands the best chance (if anyone) at emerging?
If Howard left the game with an injury as has been circulating and Miami paid him $5M this year, Brieda they paid a 5th, Still have my money on Howard over the season. 

Ministry of Pain said:
If Howard left the game with an injury as has been circulating and Miami paid him $5M this year, Brieda they paid a 5th, Still have my money on Howard over the season. 
I've always thought Howard is solid, but he needs a hole & therein lies the problem with Miami.

What a 4th Q collapse, 2 long drives by Buffalo, one was for like 85 yds and the other 70 yds, Miami just could not get off the field, the score is 31-28, Miami had a 20-17 lead after being down 17-7 early, they're fighting hard but the defense is prone to gaffes and the offense isn't consistent because the OL has a lot of issues right now. 

What a 4th Q collapse, 2 long drives by Buffalo, one was for like 85 yds and the other 70 yds, Miami just could not get off the field, the score is 31-28, Miami had a 20-17 lead after being down 17-7 early, they're fighting hard but the defense is prone to gaffes and the offense isn't consistent because the OL has a lot of issues right now. 
Same old defense......getting pushed around. Going to be another long season. And that’s ok.......but all these picks....have to pan out. I have a low confidence level in Grier and his past history. 

Simply have no faith in the personnel department here. Proven track record of far too much failure than success. 

And I am blown away with the RB situation. You knew the scheme you were going run.....so match up your players with your scheme. Jordan Howard is like a fish out of water here. Why get this guy? Why? If your not going to have a power zone running game he has no place. Again....money being burned. 

Well we have two 1st rounders......at least we have that going for us. At this rate we may have the #1 overall.....who knows?

Same old defense......getting pushed around. Going to be another long season. And that’s ok.......but all these picks....have to pan out. I have a low confidence level in Grier and his past history. 

Simply have no faith in the personnel department here. Proven track record of far too much failure than success. 

And I am blown away with the RB situation. You knew the scheme you were going run.....so match up your players with your scheme. Jordan Howard is like a fish out of water here. Why get this guy? Why? If your not going to have a power zone running game he has no place. Again....money being burned. 

Well we have two 1st rounders......at least we have that going for us. At this rate we may have the #1 overall.....who knows?
Carolina is 0-2 and I have felt like they would be in the running this year, with McCaff Out 6 Weeks, they are going to rack up some losses for a while. It was predictable and I tried to warn hat fan base when the new owner took over. At this point they likely have figured out they aren't going anywhere this year and I would think Trevor would be an upgrade over Teddy B. I just figure they will be one of a handful of teams that will be there the 2nd half of the season getting their draft strategy in place. 

Miami does show signs of life, they might win 4-5 games, pick about 5th or 6th again. DO we have Houston's 1st round pick or do we have someone else's? 

Carolina is 0-2 and I have felt like they would be in the running this year, with McCaff Out 6 Weeks, they are going to rack up some losses for a while. It was predictable and I tried to warn hat fan base when the new owner took over. At this point they likely have figured out they aren't going anywhere this year and I would think Trevor would be an upgrade over Teddy B. I just figure they will be one of a handful of teams that will be there the 2nd half of the season getting their draft strategy in place. 

Miami does show signs of life, they might win 4-5 games, pick about 5th or 6th again. DO we have Houston's 1st round pick or do we have someone else's? 
Houston right? We got 2 from them if I recall correctly. And they look bad......and how that guy still has his job is beyond belief as well. 

Correct. Houston's 1st and 2nd round pick in 2021 for Tunsil.

Probably around pick 10-19. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dolphinstalk.com/2020/05/02/current-list-of-2021-miami-dolphins-draft-picks/amp/
We need to make the most out of thee two first rounders and that extra second rounder. Please lord. Draft playmakers!!!!!

I am looking forward to seeing what Tua can do.....but this OL is a huge work in progress. The defense is highly disappointing though. All that money spent.....same results.

We need to make the most out of thee two first rounders and that extra second rounder. Please lord. Draft playmakers!!!!!

I am looking forward to seeing what Tua can do.....but this OL is a huge work in progress. The defense is highly disappointing though. All that money spent.....same results.
Justin Herbert looked very good yesterday,  aside from the INT in the end zone. And Burrow has look great. The expectations for Tua will be high.

Justin Herbert looked very good yesterday,  aside from the INT in the end zone. And Burrow has look great. The expectations for Tua will be high.
I was touting Herbert hard....oh well. Tua will need to impress. I imagine he will though. He has a ton of talent. 

Users who are viewing this thread