What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: The offseason begins. (5 Viewers)

RB Jordan Howard was outright cut in my dynasty league this morning. 12 team PPR with 22 man rosters. So the waiver wire is razor thin. 

I picked him up immediately along with Mike Davis in blind bidding last night.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Jordan Howards role will get larger and larger soon. In fact I would not be surprised to see him get a lot of work on TNF. I mean you go out and sing him to a two year 10MM deal. I don’t think it was to be a goaline back. He is definitely a more talent back than Gaskin and has a proven pro track record.

It is truly one ff the more bizarre roster issue/question for the Dolphins. If he ends up not playing much at all the front office needs to be fired. Immediately. Brian Grier is then incompetent to dole out 10MM to a 5-7 carry RB knowing the scheme, personnel etc they were bringing in, drafting etc etc. It is an incredible waste of resources. There is no other explanation. 

I think Grier has done a pretty poor job and has shown a lousy track record thus far. 

RB Jordan Howard was outright cut in my dynasty league this morning. 12 team PPR with 22 man rosters. So the waiver wire is razor thin. 

I picked him up immediately along with Mike Davis in blind bidding last night.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Jordan Howards role will get larger and larger soon. In fact I would not be surprised to see him get a lot of work on TNF. I mean you go out and sing him to a two year 10MM deal. I don’t think it was to be a goaline back. He is definitely a more talent back than Gaskin and has a proven pro track record.

It is truly one ff the more bizarre roster issue/question for the Dolphins. If he ends up not playing much at all the front office needs to be fired. Immediately. Brian Grier is then incompetent to dole out 10MM to a 5-7 carry RB knowing the scheme, personnel etc they were bringing in, drafting etc etc. It is an incredible waste of resources. There is no other explanation. 

I think Grier has done a pretty poor job and has shown a lousy track record thus far. 
Let's talk because the guy prior to Grier was evil in a worse way. And remember Aponte who everything seemed to flow thru for approval?

Tannenbaum was awful, he also made Grier the GM on Jan 4th, 2016 and nobody bought it. It felt like Mike was buying time and a lot of people did not recognize him as anything other than a Rooney Rule type for Miami which was struggling with their perception in the media..anyone remember Ingonito-Gate? The Owner talking about a new leadership council with Tony Dungy, Dan Marino and Curtis Martin? Still waiting for that meeting to take place, we were promised. Grier comes across as dumb as a box of rocks back in 2016, replay that press conference if you can find it. I hate to keep pounding down on what that hire was about but Miami was also trying to secure a Super Bowl, the owner was dancing on his head and also on his knees in front of Goodell because he could never get a stadium built here. They made him pay up on renovations to Dolphin Stadium and that's why all that was done...for the record. 

Jan 2018-Ross fires Gase, exit Mike Tannenbaum and Dumbo promotes Grier basically in charge of everything...YIKES!

What were we discussing? The horrible mishandling of our beloved Miami Dolphins. 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhfSqXOaUE   improved line play on display here.   

the loss of Byron Jones hurts a bunch, he won't play this week and maybe not the next. 

It's gonna be a rough patch if they don't figure out how to play without him.  

Big loss. 
I wasn't that excited that they paid all that money to lock up book end Corners, have either one of them made much of a splash the first couple games? I'm not sure they are bookend Corners is why i don't agree with all that money they spent. We had boatloads to spend because we got rid of every ounce of talent we could prior to last season. 

3 years in a General Manager's tenure and he decided to strip the cupboards bare, not in Year 1(2016) Not Year 2 or 3 but YEAR 4(2019) and now in 2020 Year 5 of his GM and higher work and we stink as much as we did when we started. 

No Stud RB, a journeyman starting QB, an overpaid WR that did it for 1 year and stunk the other 4, no OL to create holes(work in progess I know-Solomon looking good), Does this team have a DLineman that could start for any other team?(Think about it) 

I was touting Herbert hard....oh well. Tua will need to impress. I imagine he will though. He has a ton of talent. 
I was hating on Herbert hard and one good game (it was a good game and he's clearly better than Taylor) doesn't change that for me.  He was a streaky player in college, don't see that changing.

Tua on the other hand is a whole other tier.  The only thing stopping him is lingering issues from his hip.  He was a multi-year monster in college with all the Murray malhomes skills you look for.  He's why I like the future of the dolphins more than the bengals chargers or any other team who went out and grabbed a qb this draft.

I was hating on Herbert hard and one good game (it was a good game and he's clearly better than Taylor) doesn't change that for me.  He was a streaky player in college, don't see that changing.

Tua on the other hand is a whole other tier.  The only thing stopping him is lingering issues from his hip.  He was a multi-year monster in college with all the Murray malhomes skills you look for.  He's why I like the future of the dolphins more than the bengals chargers or any other team who went out and grabbed a qb this draft.
Time will tell and I hope Tua is the guy....but I saw raw physical talent in Herbert. He has the tools. Make no mistake. 

Time will tell and I hope Tua is the guy....but I saw raw physical talent in Herbert. He has the tools. Make no mistake. 
He's also got terrible accuracy.  Bortles had the tools too.  But that's the last I'm clogging up this thread with that.

He's also got terrible accuracy.  Bortles had the tools too.  But that's the last I'm clogging up this thread with that.
I love Tua’s accuracy and Moxie. I am happy we drafted him. Will be interesting to see how/if he develops into that franchise QB we have been dying for since #13 retired. 

Saw a stat this morning. We haven’t had a pro bowl QB since Marino in 1995. Longest drought in the NFL. I thought Pennington may have been a pro bowler the year he took them to the playoffs, but apparently not. I was pumped when they took Tua, but they need to have a little more patience. I said it in July, and I still feel the same way. I don’t think they should put him on the field until week 8-10. Let the O-line continue to play together and hopefully they’ll be decent enough to not have him running for his life every other play. 

Saw a stat this morning. We haven’t had a pro bowl QB since Marino in 1995. Longest drought in the NFL. I thought Pennington may have been a pro bowler the year he took them to the playoffs, but apparently not. I was pumped when they took Tua, but they need to have a little more patience. I said it in July, and I still feel the same way. I don’t think they should put him on the field until week 8-10. Let the O-line continue to play together and hopefully they’ll be decent enough to not have him running for his life every other play. 
Personally I think it all depends on his health.  Unless you have Andy Reid on the sidelines and Alex Smith going over film with you there's really nothing you gain by not being in the games in today's NFL.

Personally I think it all depends on his health.  Unless you have Andy Reid on the sidelines and Alex Smith going over film with you there's really nothing you gain by not being in the games in today's NFL.
Indeed. If there was no injury concerns, I think he would have started week 1. Along those lines, if there were no injury concerns, I doubt he would have slipped to Miami at pick 5. They most likely would have had to trade up to get him. All speculation, but I’m glad as a fan how it worked out. Can’t wait to see what he is. 

Man In The Box said:
Indeed. If there was no injury concerns, I think he would have started week 1. Along those lines, if there were no injury concerns, I doubt he would have slipped to Miami at pick 5. They most likely would have had to trade up to get him. All speculation, but I’m glad as a fan how it worked out. Can’t wait to see what he is. 
Without the injury I truly believe he would have still gone 1st overall in the draft.  Burrow would have had the better season but Tua had the better career.

Things to talk about after the game tonight...

-Gaskin had 22 carries for 66 yards, that's painful really when you see Breida and Jordan Howard behind him...Gasking was 16 for 86 yds coming into Jax. 

-Jordan Howard had 13 carries, 11 yds and 2 TDs, he now has 16 carries, 12 yards and 3 Touchdowns!!! 

$8 Million this year for Howard and Breida combined...Gaskins is gonna make 696k

Howard and Breida combined last night for 6 carries and 4 yards plus Howard plunging it in on the goal line.

Our Offensive Line is still pretty bad, Fitz can't really sit back and allow his receivers to work downfield, he has to have that ball out quick. He's managing, 18/20 is great, 160 yds with little running game, it's kind of amazing Miami was able to get up 28-7. 

The rookie DB who got the start was pretty sensational, Igbinoghene. He and Howard shut them down and I hope when Jones is healthy and back in his role that Igbino can settle into the Slot and Miami will have 3 pretty strong DBs, QBs will have a hard time trying to pick on them. Howard and Jones make $30M this season against the cap, it better be lights out at some point or show some hints of it. Miami still needs a couple pass rushers. 

-Kamu Grugier Hill led team in tackles tonight and also had a big sack. He came from Philly this past off season and then Elandon Roberts from New England also had a solid game tonight, both are LBs that play a lot less snaps than Jerome Baker, Kyle Van Noy and Shaq Lawson. On the surface it would seem Miami is better at LB than they have been in some time, they have several that all see the field. 

I hope Xavien Howard is OK, he looked like he was grabbing at that knee, he came down twisted a bit on the interception so we will see what comes of that tomorrow. Miami has 10 days off before they will face the NFC West 4 of the next 5 weeks, we're going to get crucified. 

Very impressive win. It’s been a while since they’ve gone on the road and won a game handily, especially in prime time. Good (great) Fitz is really fun to watch. Gesecki looks like a matchup nightmare at times, would love to see him get even more involved. Noah looked a lot better, great sign. He had a rough game vs. the Bills. Van Noy was everywhere. Missed a tackle early, but he played great. Hoping he can be the veteran leader of the defense with a winning pedigree. They’re a .500 team over their last 12 games going back to last year, which isn’t saying much but I think they’re headed in the right direction. A lot depends on Tua, but I like the coaches and the pieces around him to give him a chance at succeeding. Tough stretch coming up...

Re-Watching the game last night I wanted to highlight a couple plays and some things people might have overlooked.

Opening Drive was a thing of beauty, The first run with Gaskin really set the tone. It's hard to believe he didn't rack 100 yds with the start he had on the opening drive. I saw Austin Jackson and Ereck Flowers crush the left side of that line with Gesicki sealing the end off (1st Run of the Game), Gaskin had open space and I say this with kindness, a faster RB with SPEED could have gashed that for another 10-20 yds, heck could have ripped it to the house but Gaskins got a nice gain and was caught. Gaskin is the RB1 in Miami 2020 unless he fumbles it away, they give him the ball all the way until they are almost at the goal line so he will need to find his TDs when he gets carries outside of about 3-4 yd line. His stats should be steady if nothing else. 

Parker looks smooth catching the football, hope he can stay healthy. They haven't really needed Preston Williams plus Miami is starting 2 Rookies at OL. 

Mike Gesicki, OK Phinsfans I was last to get on his bandwagon and I think I'm there. His run blocking added to his pass catching skills is going to put him in rare air around the NFL. The 2 TE sets look great that Miami is running. He didn't haul in 8 catches this week but he was instrumental in their offense running up and down the field thru the 1st half and building a commanding lead. I believe he might rank pretty high at PFF, I don't have a subscription but they factor in a lot of things besides just yds and catches, I imagine he ranks well right now. 

The OL has been getting a bad rap but I think I am seeing signs of progress, I won't get too excited vs Jax when we are set to play the NFC West over the next 4-5 weeks, we're in big trouble and I hope Fitz survives and they don't have to be forced to start Tua. But I think if Fitz has 2-3 interceptions in one fo these upcoming games whih he is prone to do over his career, that would be an instance where Tua might take over the 4thQ? See if Tua doesn't even come in during Mop Up duty than I will question whether Miami has much belief in him yet. 

The jags didn't come to play last night but you can't fault Mia for what was a dominant win.  Fitz puts everything on the field and might end up redshirting Tua this year.

The jags didn't come to play last night but you can't fault Mia for what was a dominant win.  Fitz puts everything on the field and might end up redshirting Tua this year.
The next two weeks that thought process will end IMO. We have a 15 year track record of Fitzmagic. And while I like his grit and moxie he is what he is. Unless there is a concern about the health of Tua there is zero reason not to start playing him after our bye week. 

We need to see what he is.....before our next draft. Simply look at Arizona. They got a sample of Rosen (and swindled us out of a 2nd rounder for christ’s sakes...the sucka's we are...what a whiff) and knew they made a mistake and took another QB in Kyler Murray. You can’t have an average QB in todays NFL and win. They need to be very good to have any shot at winning in todays NFL which is a full on passing league. 

I want to see Tua play a lot. Again zero reason not to play him unless there is still concern with the hip. Otherwise....get him going and let’s see if we have our potential QB of the future or do we package up all those picks and make a run at Lawrence. I am being serious. We gotta have a QB or it does not matter. 

I'll try and discuss the Defense a little more on this post, I want to start with the DL where some fans might not know how it's set up. Wilkins to my knowledge is 300+ lbs and was a DT in College, he plays a 3-4 DE and since Miami has not been great at stopping the run and since he doesn't get a lot of sacks or QB pressures, I'm having a hard time understanding how he is going to live up to his Draft position and where are we at in 2-3 years when we have to extend him or try and trade him if we aren't going to make the long term investment. I'm hard on him because he was the first pick with this GM and Coach and I want to see him excel, most of what I read says he is doing a great job, ranks highly in the league so far this year, I just don't really see his name called much. 

NT-Godchaux...I think since he is a FA next season and the fact Miami has been so so or worse in rush defense, think the kid they drafted from Alabama will be the starting NT in 2021, don't think they keep Godchaux and would actually like to see them trade him to somebody for maybe a 3rd or 4th, otherwise to my knowledge Miami will still get a compensatory pick if he walks out the door and signs a decent contract so either way they win. 

-I'd like to see Strowbridge on the field, he recorded a lot of sacks in college but he is a rookie. 

Shaq-Baker-Roberts-Van Noy is the starting LB corp, Shaq and Van Noy are kind of set at those OLB spots for now, Roberts is on just a 1 year deal, Baker will be do for an extension, my guess is Miami is going to be looking in 2021 for the next duo Inside, just a gut feeling right now. 

There are many DBs, some might not know Brandon Jones, rookie SS is starting and then McCain who I was down on but is the starting Free Safety. Eric Rowe who I really liked has drifted back on depth chart. The one guy that a lot of folks don't know about and he has undergone a name change to my knowledge is Jamal Perry and I still don't think I have that right. He is hitting people and they drop. Look at that nice catch Robinson made early in the game where Roberts left his jock strap on the field, the guy at the end who brings him down all by himself is Perry...and if you watch it slowly you can see Robinson pats him on the back and says nice tackle. With all the other Corners we have shutting guys down, you have a guy like Perry patrolling around, I really like his game but he is short and would be a liability outside by himself on an Island. Would like to see Perry blitz the QB, maybe even line him up as an Edge rusher at times.  

Go Phins!!!

Fitz being Fitz. Just good enough to start and just not so bad enough to bench...I feel a disturbance in the turnover force though. Fitzmagic seems to crest and fall. Winter is coming, then Tua.

Fitz being Fitz. Just good enough to start and just not so bad enough to bench...I feel a disturbance in the turnover force though. Fitzmagic seems to crest and fall. Winter is coming, then Tua.
I don't think anyone here believes Miami is going to roll thru the NFC West 4 of the next 5 weeks. But this post is nothing more than a push for Tua and I will point and revert to Dan Orvolosky over at ESPN, I agree almost 100% with his take on Tua. 

Even if Fitz has a couple bad games or has some turnovers in these upcoming TOUGH interconference games, I don't think that many Miami Dolphins fans are going t plea for Tua until Miami has a solid line for him to operate behind and they can trust whatever RB is back there(Oohhh I just got a thought) can be trusted and can Gaskin stay in and run block? Maybe when Tua takes over is when we see Jordan Howard in the game a little more in order to have a bigger body to pick up defenders and blitzers who surely will be coming left and right for him when he gets on the field. 

I want to be clear, in no way do I think that on any planet is Tua going to take the field and we see Lamar Jackson 2.0, so I don't really understand all the Sizzle right now. It just doesn't make any sense. Dan Marino in 1983, watched from the sidelines for many weeks until he finally got the call in I'll say Week 6 or 7 he faced Buffalo and lost the game but moved the offense in a way we hadn't seen. Tua has to be BETTER than Fitz in every way before he can see the field. It has to be blatantly obvious in practice and we ain't hearing those reports so let's take a step back and just evaluate the Phins for what they are doing and not some wishful thinking. I'm sure Tua has his own thread, not sure if I have ever even posted in there, maybe but it's not one I constantly am checking. 

We're not there yet, I've seen many posts similar in nature to yours, only reason I am typing a long post vs just a little cheerlead for Tua...believe me we want him to be incredible or great or even good enough to lead us into the playoffs. We're just not there yet. 

I don't think anyone here believes Miami is going to roll thru the NFC West 4 of the next 5 weeks. But this post is nothing more than a push for Tua and I will point and revert to Dan Orvolosky over at ESPN, I agree almost 100% with his take on Tua. 

Even if Fitz has a couple bad games or has some turnovers in these upcoming TOUGH interconference games, I don't think that many Miami Dolphins fans are going t plea for Tua until Miami has a solid line for him to operate behind and they can trust whatever RB is back there(Oohhh I just got a thought) can be trusted and can Gaskin stay in and run block? Maybe when Tua takes over is when we see Jordan Howard in the game a little more in order to have a bigger body to pick up defenders and blitzers who surely will be coming left and right for him when he gets on the field. 

I want to be clear, in no way do I think that on any planet is Tua going to take the field and we see Lamar Jackson 2.0, so I don't really understand all the Sizzle right now. It just doesn't make any sense. Dan Marino in 1983, watched from the sidelines for many weeks until he finally got the call in I'll say Week 6 or 7 he faced Buffalo and lost the game but moved the offense in a way we hadn't seen. Tua has to be BETTER than Fitz in every way before he can see the field. It has to be blatantly obvious in practice and we ain't hearing those reports so let's take a step back and just evaluate the Phins for what they are doing and not some wishful thinking. I'm sure Tua has his own thread, not sure if I have ever even posted in there, maybe but it's not one I constantly am checking. 

We're not there yet, I've seen many posts similar in nature to yours, only reason I am typing a long post vs just a little cheerlead for Tua...believe me we want him to be incredible or great or even good enough to lead us into the playoffs. We're just not there yet. 
All this may be true and most likely is. Still with so many rookies having good to great showings Miami may not want to hold off. I love Fitz. Even with all the shortcomings he has. I just see a time for Miami to push for an awakening... some kind of hope for something other than "we'll get 'em next year". If they are smart it will be what you think. On that there is no argument.  

All this may be true and most likely is. Still with so many rookies having good to great showings Miami may not want to hold off. I love Fitz. Even with all the shortcomings he has. I just see a time for Miami to push for an awakening... some kind of hope for something other than "we'll get 'em next year". If they are smart it will be what you think. On that there is no argument.  
🤜🤛

I'm expecting Miami to be 1-7 or 2-6 after the next 5 games. We could beat Denver, but it's gonna be at mile high. Then we start Tua in the back to back games versus the Jets, with a bye in between. Followed by the Bengals, then the Chiefs and Patriots. We could know by seasons end if he's the QB of the future. 

If Fitzpatrick plays great and we're 4-4 before the Jet game, then the coach has a dilemma about whether to play Tua. His teammates love him. Do we extend his contract for another year? 

You might as well be talking about a totally different sport maaaan
Now you are insulting the man who is etched on to every player's uniform this year and has the number 347 hanging under it. It's a very logical and sound plan to sit a rookie QB. Steve McNair would be another excellent example fo a QB that sat the better part of 2 full seasons before he was really the starter there. 

Rodgers sat...

Now you are insulting the man who is etched on to every player's uniform this year and has the number 347 hanging under it. It's a very logical and sound plan to sit a rookie QB. Steve McNair would be another excellent example fo a QB that sat the better part of 2 full seasons before he was really the starter there. 

Rodgers sat...
Mahomes for a year. Under the great Alex Smith.

Tua is a hot topic today, every national "Hot Take" acts like they know it is his time to shine but I revert back to my previous entries as my feelings have not changed. 

Every time Fitz dropped back he had his LT or RT or both being blocked right into him or the DE was already running loose and he had no time to throw. 

I want to discuss beyond the game and point to a couple of things here to keep in mind as the season unrolls. Not only are we 1-3 and likely headed to a string of losses that will have us around 2-6, the NFC West outside of Arizona is going to beat us, that's 3 more losses. I stand by we play the Jets B2B weeks the back half of the season and that seems like a good spot to play Tua. I still don't hear that is blowing Fitz away at practice during the week. I think we need to hear that, the Chiefs knew Mahomes was better thru practice reps. 

We also have the Texans No 1 pick and while I can't envision the Texans getting int he Trevor Sweepstakes, still it is what it is and we have that No 1 pick right now. 

They play the Jags 2 times in the next month, the other 2 games look tough vs the titans and Packers. They could be 2-6 or 1-7 easily. Browns, pats, Colts Twice, Bears and Titans, they have some winnable games vs Jags Bengals and Lions but that is where we are at. Now maybe like the Steelers last year they start winning a bunch of games and that pick turns into No 14 but right now it's looking like a potential Top 5 Pick and the things we need from that area would be an immediate IMPACT DE/OLB PAss Rusher whatever you want to call it. We need another Impact OT, maybe slide Jackson over to RT and get a bonafide surefire Top5 LT like we had previously with Jake Long or they can trade back and I'm sure stockpile picks but this team isn't that good at making picks in the draft. 

I'm thinking 2021 and 2022 not really this season. I would prefer Tua wait and I don't care what owners in dynasty or Joy Taylor thinks, the OL is pretty bad right now and we need a better lead RB, possibly a whole new stable so I am not eager to throw him to the Wolves. If that means we have to take another QB to push Tua or develop behind then so be it. This team is not set at any position yet. Maybe the DBs are settling in but many of the Front 7 I still have questions about, some aren't going to get better, they simply are good or solid and will hold the fort until a rookie comes and takes their spot and they get cut and go elsewhere. 

We can discuss the Seattle game but I am surprised we are now looking at Houston's pick and getting an extra Top5 selection. 

Thanks for the insights MoP. Valued as always.

As both a redraft (can keep one) and dynasty Tua owner I fully agree that I don't want to see Tua yet. Fitz is playing fine, and actually looked terrific against the Jags.  For me, Tua's value lies in future years, not in this crazy 2020.

That seems to be the direction the Dolphins are taking as well, so hopefully they can tune the media buzz out.

I had not heard Flores speak about the future of the Miami QB position but this is outstanding...

Tua time? Even at 1-3, Dolphins' Flores says not so fast

Mon Oct 5 4:36pm ET
By STEVEN WINE
AP Sports Writer

MIAMI (AP) When asked Monday about the Miami Dolphins' quarterback situation, coach Brian Flores paused for nearly 8 seconds before he answered.

That was plenty of time to stir up even more speculation regarding when top draft pick Tua Tagovailoa might make his NFL debut.

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw two interceptions and had a passer rating of 66 in Sunday's 31-23 loss to Seattle, which dropped the Dolphins to 1-3.

But it's unclear whether the Dolphins believe Tagovailoa has learned the offense well enough to take over Sunday at San Francisco, and whether they're ready to expose him to an NFL pass rush less than a year after a serious hip injury ended his Alabama career.

''Look, I understand where everybody is coming from with Tua,'' Flores said. ''I get all that. At the same time, he's a young player. He's coming off the injury. We'll make the decision on the starter, but I would presume that's going to be Fitzpatrick.''

Tagovailoa watched again Sunday while two other rookie quarterbacks, the Bengals' Joe Burrow and the Chargers' Justin Herbert, played well. Flores said that doesn't factor into his thinking, and said his 8-second pause didn't signal a QB change was imminent.

Switching to Tagovailoa would mean exposing his surgically repaired hip behind an offensive line with two rookies.

''He has checked all the boxes from a medical standpoint,'' Flores said. ''(But) the honest thing for me is if it was my kid and he had a serious injury like that, I wouldn't want his coach to be rushed to throw him in there because of media pressure or anything like that. 🤗   😘 

''No one is going to pressure me into doing anything. When we feel like he's ready to go, we'll put him in.''

I think that's incredibly brave and shows good leadership. It echos everything I have been posting on the Phns, you'd think this guy and I were neighbors 😉 

Miami Dolphins Rookie and 1st Round Selection, OT Austin Jackson goes on Injured Reserve

USA Today

Davenport replaces him, yuck!

And this is good for Tua getting on the field sooner/later?

Flores seems to know what he’s doing, but have to think that if Fitz has one more bad outing this week and the team is losing badly, he’s going to make the move to Tua.

Should be any time now given the common trajectory of Fitz starting strong and then fading quickly.

:bowtie:

43-17

Miami Dolphins BLOWOUT the San Francisco 49ers, 3 Interceptions on Jimmy G in the 1st Half and Miami rides the leg of Sanders to 5 more FGs, FitzMagic on full display today. 

seems to me Byron Jones return made the whole defense better... playing people out of position is never ideal

Hunt did pretty well... that makes 3 rookies started on the OL this year and the whole unit is light years ahead of last.  

with all the changes... welcome to Jets week

Lots to discuss this morning, let's discuss the Offensive Line and what has happened apparently since Jackson went on Injured Reserve. 

They could only muster about 2.8 yds per carry but they allowed just 2 sacks and it seemed like Fitz had a lot more time to throw the football. Jesse Davis rolled over to Left Tackle and he has logged time there before. Is he a Top 10 Left Tackle? Of course not but he has experience and certainly isn't worse than the rookie Jackson was performing. I thought Hunt was a real find in the draft and am happy he is able to see the field but still got to watch for a month as the season started. The interior of the line didn't create a lot of room to run but overall this group was solid. I would say about a "C" Run Blocking (Gaskins did manage 3.6) but I would give them a B+ for Pass Blocking. They have/had been putting out "F" work both Run and Pass Blocking some weeks so this was major improvement. 

Myles Gaskin got a lot of work and seemed to be called on in the red zone. Still think Miami needs an upgrade and some better depth if Howard is going to be a healthy scratch. Cut him and move on. Gaskin managed 21 touches for 91 yards, 5 catches, he is getting all the work for Miami and will continue in that role. They play some really soft teams coming up and have an excellent chance at string together some more wins. "B" for me when you get beyond the 3.6 yds per carry, he looked confident running the ball, he's not fast at all. Looked good catching the ball when asked to be involved. 

The WRs/TEs with Parker-Preston-Gesicki, it's a nice trio and then you have Ford and Grant able to contribute as well. The unit is coming together nicely. I think you have to grade them overall as an "A" this week. 

QB-Fitzpatrick, A+...what else could you really give him this week? He was just about perfect and he almost nails down the starting spot for another month. 

I would put the offense overall as about as close to an "A" as they are going to get. 43 points, a lot of FGs and they looked in control from the opening drive. 

Lets's discuss defense. Jerome Baker was outstanding, Van Ginkel saw a lot of action and got results, Grugier Hill was all over the place, Roberts, Ogbah, Seiler, Van Noy, Godchaux, Wilkins...they had guy after guy making plays and TFL and QB pressures and Sacks and they forced San Fran into turning the ball over. 8 QB Hits and 5 Sacks, they were all over the QB most of the day, they also allowed a lot of yds per carry on the ground and Raheem Mostert gashed us good but the Niners were so far behind they had to abandon the run. 

Front 7 Pass Rush "A" and Front 7 Rush Defense "C" but it felt like San Fran was in 3rd and long all day. 

And the secondary played very well. Byron Jones and Xavien Howard looked very difficult to try and beat. Nik Needham had a rough series or two but overall Miami nailed it in the Secondary. 

Miami Secondary "A" including 7 PD and 2 Interceptions

The schedule going forward...@NYJets next week now, LAC, LAR, @AZ, NYJ, @Denver CIN, think that's how it's supposed to roll next few weeks. Lots of winnable games suddenly, seriously, this team could get to 8-4 if things were to roll their way, make December interesting with games vs the Patriots and Bills towards the end. 

Tua might not see the field for a good long while still, not sure how they can bench Fitz. 

Miami is 7 and 7 over their last 14 games under Coach Flores

Miami has Two 1st and Two 2nd round picks, that's likely an extra Top 10 pick and perhaps another Top 40-50 pick on top of the two they have of their own. Some more OL help surely is coming and then you have the luxury of some raw speed to inject into the offense and perhaps a High Ceiling Pass Rusher. It's taking shape, this 43-17 pasting of the Niners was a real feather in Miami's cap. 

This was the Draft Order on Oct 6th or prior to this week's games...

1. Jets  2. Dolphins (from Texans) 3. Giants 4. Falcons 5. Jaguars 6. Washington 7. Cowboys 8. Broncos 9. Chargers 10. Vikings 11. Dolphins 12. Lions 13. Bengals

Miami Dolphins 2nd Round Selection and #39 Pick overall, Robert Hunt the Ragin' Cajun in action yesterday, check out his work along the OL passing off a DE and picking up the stunt allowing this play time to develop...

Hunt in Action and not sure who caught that ball. 

And Another Block 

I'm excited this guy has taken over at RT, this will be Tua's blind side and that is going to be what gets Tua on the field and he had a pretty awesome debut, early nominee for Rookie of the Year for Miami. 

This was the Draft Order on Oct 6th or prior to this week's games...

1. Jets  2. Dolphins (from Texans) 3. Giants 4. Falcons 5. Jaguars 6. Washington 7. Cowboys 8. Broncos 9. Chargers 10. Vikings 11. Dolphins 12. Lions 13. Bengals
Now the order is Texans 7, Miami 13.

The Texans and Miami pick will be low to high teens, IMO. Watson is too good not to win more games.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

We are going to play this out because the OL is becoming more clear. Hunt looks sharp and you hate to pump up a Rookie after 1 game but he and Kindley are starting to look like Tua's Webb and Sims, remember those guys in the early 90s that anchored Marino's blind side for much of the end of his career. I look at those two rookies and think that will be what allows Tua to operate and succeed and not be looking over his shoulder every 2 seconds, very pleased with the early returns here. Not out of the Woods yet but a great start. 

Davis and Flowers provide veteran leadership and work well together on the left side for now. 

Miami is going to be a problem for the rest of the way if they can continue to make advances along the OL. Remember how much better we got last year along the way? It's reasonable to think we could finish strong. Secondary looked wicked at times yesterday. 

the two things that really really impressed me and have me excited about the direction of the team.  

-tua celebrating with Fitz

-wilkins running the fumble recovery to Coach Flo.

I've said before I really hope Fitz plays his way into 15 starts and Tua starts the last week.  

In order to understand the Miami QB situation currently, I wanted to share what I believe to be the blueprint for a lot of teams that have had to start over or have a young high draft pick at QB and understand how many of the NFL GMs operate. 

Pure Money: The fact is if you Draft the right QB and surround them with the right talent from the start, you have a 2-3 year window with which you have a lot of extra money under the salary cap to play with. While teams are locked in with their franchise QB at $35M-$40M+ you as the GM with your Rookie Deal QB are paying a fraction of that per season. When you add in the savings and ability to cut at a couple other spots like perhaps RB etc...you suddenly have an extra $50M let’s say to go out and bring in some guys you would never be able to otherwise or would have to find in the Draft, good luck with that. 

I point to Seattle’s run in ‘12-’14 including 2 Trips to Super Bowl and a Lombardi Trophy. They were loaded and eventually couldn’t pay everyone, once Wilson was brought up to the going rate for NFL QBs they were never really quite the same. They have been trying to recapture the magic. Philly in 2016/2017 with Wentz, yes they had to use Foles to cross the finish line but they were balling while Wentz was elevating during their Super Bowl run. 

Kansas City last season before Mahomes was given Half a Billion dollars. The Rams the season before that while Goff was on his rookie deal. There’s a pattern and you can load up in the trenches and make it easier for the QBs to either operate or take over with short fields.

So in order to evaluate the Phins, you need to think like they do or what you hope they are thinking as you see other teams succeed that have walked thru similar paths that we are right now. We have a veteran QB keeping the seat warm for Tua. The reality is that Miami isn’t likely going to the playoffs this year although I do see a few victories or potential wins for them in 5 of their next 6 games which would really make them a turnaround story of unreal proportions coming out of Week 7-2019 last year…

The goal in my mind is Tua in 2021 and 2022. This team is getting better every week and you want Tua to get some reps so he can grow with them but I believe they can get the OL into a Top Half of the NFL status by next season the way they are starting to come together. That is going to be key for his growth. Next year Parker will be a 7 yr Vet, Gesicki a 4 Yr vet(And needing an extension) and Williams will be entering Season 3 so many of his skill set guys will be ready for him and the OL will be solid if not better than average in my mind. Miami needs a quality RB and they should have the luxury to grab a  good one, maybe the Top of the 2nd Round if they don’t have to reach in the 1st. They need some serious speed and vision combined back there. 

I hope and pray that Fitz can continue to succeed or go 2-3 good/great weeks before he throws up a stinker. The more competitive Miami is and remember that there are 7 playoff teams from each conference this season yes/no? That extra playoff spot might come into play by Week 8/9, I believe they can get to 4-4, that gives them hope for the back half of 2020. The schedule is soft until December where they will face 4 playoff caliber teams. 

Back to the QB position, I don’t want to see Tua out there right now. I was not a huge fan of them taking Tua but we are past that point now, he’s here. I agree with almost all of Flores remarks on Tua and not wanting to expose him to injury right now. If that bothers you then I don’t think you did a lot of research into the Phins and Flores and what is happening down here.

Earlier this week on Monday, I wrote a book report on the San Fran game, I spoke right up about an improvement needed at RB despite Gaskin being workmanlike it just doesn't have much explosion, the Miami running game. I would love to see Bell brought in and given an opp for 8-10 rushes a game as he learns the playbook. I think he would help and round out the backfield, take some pressure off Gaskin. I have a funny feeling in less than a month he would elevate to RB1 and maybe 15 carries a game and give us something to make defenses think about and he would be an extra set of hands for Fitz in the passing game. 

Earlier this week on Monday, I wrote a book report on the San Fran game, I spoke right up about an improvement needed at RB despite Gaskin being workmanlike it just doesn't have much explosion, the Miami running game. I would love to see Bell brought in and given an opp for 8-10 rushes a game as he learns the playbook. I think he would help and round out the backfield, take some pressure off Gaskin. I have a funny feeling in less than a month he would elevate to RB1 and maybe 15 carries a game and give us something to make defenses think about and he would be an extra set of hands for Fitz in the passing game. 
I agree that they need improvement at RB.  I am not sure that Bell is the answer.  He always seems to be more trouble than he is worth.

i thought Brieda would do more....

Users who are viewing this thread