What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: The offseason begins. (1 Viewer)

Russell has elite mobility within the pocket, escapability,  and touch on long passes. I think Tua has Steve Young type accuracy and puts more zip on the ball. I thought a knock on Tua was that he held onto the ball too long and took hits.

There was no preseason for Tua, or Herbert or Barrow, so this will be our first look at Tua under pressure.
All-time I’d probably agree that he’s more like Young (I’ll take his career for Tua too, thank you 😊) I was just using a current player as a comp. 

Also should be noted that one of the reasons many of us didn't see this coming is we didn't have much footage of Tua doing anything in practice until today I am seeing leaked camera phone stuff showing some cool passes and what not. We just had not heard that Tua was blowing away Fitz or that the team was clamoring for him to be out there. 

All that said, this is coming along nice and these 6 weeks he has had to watch and learn form the sidelines should be a huge leg up for Tua this season. I'm optimistic he will keep Miami in the playoff hunt. 

Also with the Bye week we are looking at a Nov 1st start date which is about in line with where we thought we would be. November was about the time line we thought Tua would enter the season. 

Last edited by a moderator:
reading this rumor about shopping X. I'm not sure I agree with it unless we're getting a Tunsil deal back... 
Our secondary is a strength. If they're serious about this year and next, they shouldn't trade X. He's only 27. The rookie Noah Igbinoghene is not ready. 

looks like a reporter jumped the gun... Dolphins fielded calls for X like they always do.  "Not exploring trades"

Barry Jackson:

For perspective on this, @AdamHBeasley and I were told this morning that a couple teams have inquired about Xavien. We spoke to the team and chose not to report until a fuller picture and details emerged about the likelihood of him actually being traded.

Dolphins to me:"The report in the South Florida Sun Sentinel is factually inaccurate and based on rumors.The paper practiced poor journalism by not reaching out to the team for comment or the chance to respond to the story. We are not exploring any trades regarding Xavien Howard"

Also should be noted that one of the reasons many of us didn't see this coming is we didn't have much footage of Tua doing anything in practice until today I am seeing leaked camera phone stuff showing some cool passes and what not. We just had not heard that Tua was blowing away Fitz or that the team was clamoring for him to be out there. 

All that said, this is coming along nice and these 6 weeks he has had to watch and learn form the sidelines should be a huge leg up for Tua this season. I'm optimistic he will keep Miami in the playoff hunt. 

Also with the Bye week we are looking at a Nov 1st start date which is about in line with where we thought we would be. November was about the time line we thought Tua would enter the season. 
so does Tua have some mobility?  I'm serious-just don't follow college football much until bowl season.  

so does Tua have some mobility?  I'm serious-just don't follow college football much until bowl season.  
Legit question, his first snap he rolled out to his left(he's a Lefty) and he rolled wide into the end zone in a way where if were other QBs I would say "What are you doing, you're gonna get sacked" but the defenders didn't get close to him. Now look, he is nothing like Murray in terms of speed but I'm happy he isn't Kyler Murray, I'm not a huge fan of that style of football they are playing in Arizona and I think that 5-2 record is inflated. Tua is mobile but he is not a running QB and I don't believe anyone will mistake him for Lamar Jackson. His Left handed motion is a little jarring and I thought one of his passes he completed had a lot of air on it and I felt that kind of throw will be easily intercepted but someone pointed out that him being a lefty, it looks a little different on the TV so I'll reserve judgement but his throws didn't look like lasers at first glance. he seems like he has a lot of touch and i bet his receivers will enjoy catching the ball from him. 

I have seen coaches make dumber decisions, but this one is up there. 
You think Fitz was going to get them a championship? IMO that's really the only way this is a truly dumb decision, and all I can see Fitz doing is keeping Miami as an average team.  Fitzmagic one week Fitztragic the next.  

Jail said:
You think Fitz was going to get them a championship? IMO that's really the only way this is a truly dumb decision, and all I can see Fitz doing is keeping Miami as an average team.  Fitzmagic one week Fitztragic the next.  
Fitzpatrick has some excellent stats and actual performances over the last 16 games going back to last year. It's been mostly a gutsy and accurate Fitzmagic during that time behind a bad oline and with no running game until recently. There's still some gunslinger in him, but I think he has improved and would've taken them to the playoffs. But not much further.

That said, I agree with the decision to start Tua since we need to know before the 2021 draft if he's the QB of the future. 

Some MoP tidbits that I have not seen discussed as we make our way towards the unveiling of Tua, these things don't directly concern him. 

-Davon Godchaux, our starting DT went on IR and is going t miss about 3 months so his season is over. He is also set to be a Free Agent, Miami would either have to sign him to a long term deal or some kind of deal, even a 1 year prove it type but I think he is past that point. He typically doesn't rate very high on PFF, for where we drafted him, we have gotten our money's worth, he has a lot of starts under his belt and can find work in the future, just don't feel he is much above average. 52 Games, 42 Starts in the last 3.5 seasons so he has been holding the fort down, he is going to be missed and I think the Rams might find room to run on Sunday which isn't good. 

-Raekwon Davis, 56th overall pick from Alabama. The Dolphins were criticized over this pick but they had THREE 1st round selections so folks kind of overlooked this guy. I would not say he has been great but I like some of what I see, hope he is ready for some serious snaps, especially on 1st and 2nd Downs, 3rd and Short, he is going to be worked and he needs to hold up. 

Benito Jones was activated from the practice squad at DT...you tell me. 

Miami might want to make a quiet trade for someone's reserve DT or NT and get some help in here or otherwise they are going to have issues stopping the run. 

Raekwon McMillan was traded towards the end of August and I never really heard much about it and was wondering why I hadn't seen his name much. He was traded to the LVR plus Miami's 5th? Maybe that was another team's 5th but they packaged that and received the Raiders 4th in return, we'll see how that works out with Vegas making a playoff push at the moment. He was a 2017 2nd Round, 54th pick Overall, tore his ACL before he really got going as a rookie and never made a huge impact. Who was responsible for him being on the roster?  Just a question. 

I told you none of this had much to do with Tua. 

Some MoP tidbits that I have not seen discussed as we make our way towards the unveiling of Tua, these things don't directly concern him. 

-Davon Godchaux, our starting DT went on IR and is going t miss about 3 months so his season is over. He is also set to be a Free Agent, Miami would either have to sign him to a long term deal or some kind of deal, even a 1 year prove it type but I think he is past that point. He typically doesn't rate very high on PFF, for where we drafted him, we have gotten our money's worth, he has a lot of starts under his belt and can find work in the future, just don't feel he is much above average. 52 Games, 42 Starts in the last 3.5 seasons so he has been holding the fort down, he is going to be missed and I think the Rams might find room to run on Sunday which isn't good. 

-Raekwon Davis, 56th overall pick from Alabama. The Dolphins were criticized over this pick but they had THREE 1st round selections so folks kind of overlooked this guy. I would not say he has been great but I like some of what I see, hope he is ready for some serious snaps, especially on 1st and 2nd Downs, 3rd and Short, he is going to be worked and he needs to hold up. 

Benito Jones was activated from the practice squad at DT...you tell me. 

Miami might want to make a quiet trade for someone's reserve DT or NT and get some help in here or otherwise they are going to have issues stopping the run. 

Raekwon McMillan was traded towards the end of August and I never really heard much about it and was wondering why I hadn't seen his name much. He was traded to the LVR plus Miami's 5th? Maybe that was another team's 5th but they packaged that and received the Raiders 4th in return, we'll see how that works out with Vegas making a playoff push at the moment. He was a 2017 2nd Round, 54th pick Overall, tore his ACL before he really got going as a rookie and never made a huge impact. Who was responsible for him being on the roster?  Just a question. 

I told you none of this had much to do with Tua. 
I went to Miami once, but only stayed there in a half decent hotel near a dock the night before we went on a cruise. We got hungry but didn't have a car, so we walked to the grocery store and found that tons of the food there had been opened and eaten out of without people buying it. Pretty sketchy.

I didn't tell you none of this had much to do with Tua.

I went to Miami once, but only stayed there in a half decent hotel near a dock the night before we went on a cruise. We got hungry but didn't have a car, so we walked to the grocery store and found that tons of the food there had been opened and eaten out of without people buying it. Pretty sketchy.

I didn't tell you none of this had much to do with Tua.
The difference though is I told you up front and I also posted this in the official Phins thread, not Tua's 😉

Lot of Miami fans hitting up my phone/text this morning, seems like the fan base is about as excited as I've seen in a long long time. I didn't see this kind of enthusiasm with Tannehill although the fan base was very welcoming to him when he first arrived here. 

Tua doesn't have to beat the Rams today, Marino did not win his first start under center for Miami. He lost to the Buffalo Bills but went on to lead Miami to the playoffs in 1983 which was his rookie season. 

Marino started Game 6 of the '83 Season, Tua will start Game 7 of 2020 for the Miami Dolphins. 

Lot of Miami fans hitting up my phone/text this morning, seems like the fan base is about as excited as I've seen in a long long time. I didn't see this kind of enthusiasm with Tannehill although the fan base was very welcoming to him when he first arrived here. 

Tua doesn't have to beat the Rams today, Marino did not win his first start under center for Miami. He lost to the Buffalo Bills but went on to lead Miami to the playoffs in 1983 which was his rookie season. 

Marino started Game 6 of the '83 Season, Tua will start Game 7 of 2020 for the Miami Dolphins. 
I'm predicting 240 yards passing, 2 TDs and 2-3 Ints, along with 4 sacks. Tua will try to fit the ball into some tight windows, causing the Ints. I'm expecting accuracy. He will not scramble like Fitzpatrick, so Donald and company will put pressure on the longer dropbacks. But the gameplan should be lots of screens, quick slants, misdirection throws to the TE. Tua needs to throw a few deep passes to keep the Rams secondary honest. He shouldn't stay away from Ramsey, gotta make them respect you out of the gate.

I'm predicting 240 yards passing, 2 TDs and 2-3 Ints, along with 4 sacks. Tua will try to fit the ball into some tight windows, causing the Ints. I'm expecting accuracy. He will not scramble like Fitzpatrick, so Donald and company will put pressure on the longer dropbacks. But the gameplan should be lots of screens, quick slants, misdirection throws to the TE. Tua needs to throw a few deep passes to keep the Rams secondary honest. He shouldn't stay away from Ramsey, gotta make them respect you out of the gate.
Not sure I can predict anything. I'll be shocked if he can throw for 240 and 2 scores. I expect Fitz to enter the game at some point especially if Miami defense is doing OK and the offense just cannot move the football. 

I don't know what I would do if Miami uses Tua for say just the first drive as a total "Mess with the Rams" but the entire time they planned on bringing Fitz in once Tua got the experience of what it's all like. Anything is possible with Flores but the likelihood is Miami will play Tua the whole game. 

Gut says Tua must be super ready if Fitz looked that good and they still want Tua in there. I hope Gailey has a game plan fit for a Rookie today. 

Lots of RPO today. Protecting Tua is job one, two and three. I’m always waiting for the rug to be pulled from underneath me with this team, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t super excited to watch this game. Something I haven’t said in years. Let’s do this 👍🐬⬆️

Let's roll thru this and we got a lot of ground to cover. 

-1st of all, HOORAY PHINSFANS!!! We just beat a Super Bowl level team from 2 years ago and we did in a way I've almost never seen here. Remember when the Phins let Dan Campbell take over coaching duties? What happened that first week against the Titans after running the Oklahoma Drill? We destroyed them and I've almost never seen them play that way ever since. What we saw in the 2nd Q by the Defense/Special teams, we are finding all kinds of work that Coach Flores has done, remember we were 0-7 this time last year and cheering the Phins on to keep losing which must have rubbed the Coach the wrong way because they are now 9-7, yes they have a winning record over their last 16 Games!

Folks, may I introduce the winning Miami Dolphins! They're Back!!!

-Let's give out the accolades first to the defense and highlight some bad ### defenders that are playing out of their minds right now. Oh you need some Primetime music, no problem. 

Kyle Van Noy was wicked yesterday, Wilkins looked like the 1st round athletic big guy they drafted with his drop back interception and it felt like he was bringing some heat Goff's way flushing him into the hands Ogbah who had another key play with a Strip-Sack that caused a fumble that caused a TD and this was an ongoing theme. 

How many times has Miami had their lunch money taken away?  A lot in the last 20 years and Miami finally PUNCHED BACK, #### yeah it felt like Daniel LaRusso finally getting his Crane Kick in while they say "Get him a Body Bag", felt good to hit somebody and watch the ball dislodge for once, twice, a bunch. Eric Rowe seems to be finding his way as a Safety, he was roaming around causing havoc and also had a key interception setting the tone. 

Both of the Jones boys went out with injuries and I have not heard an update. Needham was hurt, Perry was OUT and I am concerned about going on the road next week @AZ but we have time later in the week to discuss. 

This game was won completely on defense. If you are out there and you did not watch the game and think Tua was simply a game manager, I assure you he was much worse than even that but I might reserve the whole dissertation for the next post. 

Ogbah! Wilkins! Van Noy! Jones! Rowe! Baker!(hardly mentioned but solid) Roberts! Shaq Lawson!!!

Raekwon Davis? Well the Rams were running it with success early and if Henderson had not gotten hurt things might have been different. 

Now abut Tua...

Tua: 1st Pass and he is Strip Sacked by Donald, apologize for quality of the vid clip. 

Rams get the ball at the 15 yard line after Miami helped Goff go incomplete on 3 straight pass attempts and forcing a punt, Tua helps the defense celebrate by turning it over inside of a couple play on offense and the Rams punch it in 7-0

I give those 7 by the Rams to Tua

-Next we managed to get a good return and start about midfield. Tua just needed to complete a couple passes or gain a couple first downs and we could have tried for a FG but we went 3 and OUT and that's unacceptable IMHO, that's another FG I take off for Miami. 

Tua cost Miami 10 points in the 1st Q and Miami is luckier than a State Lottery winner this morning with only 100 yards of offense on the entire day, they plain STUNK on offense. I've never seen a rookie QB look so bad. He deserves to be benched next week fo rFitzpatrick, I'm not joking and if Miami rolls him right back out there they are sending the wrong message. WOuld you let anybody on Defense take the field as a starter if they performed this poorly at their position?

I am sick to my stomach right now that we squandered a 1st on him and Austin Jackson while I am piling on. Tua has no business being the Miami starting QB Week 9 on the road in Arizona his rookie season, that's as plain and simple as I can make it. I don't give a #### about your Dynasty team honestly so please spare me if you didn't watch the game closely and are basing things on what you heard the "hot takes" crew start to unroll on TV today. He sucks right now and to allow him to start again next week seems like a bad move if they want to win the game. 

I'll be happy to hear what Phinsfans think but so far Tua is a Total "F" Grade

Tua did was he was asked to do, plain and simple, second half play calling looked to me like they were putting stuff on film for other teams to have to game plan for.  I would've preferred them to keep the foot on the gas but Flo plays the long game and they really didn't need to do anything more. I liked what I saw out of the rookie's first start (save the strip sack).  

Wanna give someone a bad grade? Gaskin is more deserving of it. bad drop and fumble.  

The Miami Dolphins are 9-7 in their past 16 games

they are now 9-7, yes they have a winning record over their last 16 Games!

Folks, may I introduce the winning Miami Dolphins! They're Back!!!

Tua did was he was asked to do, plain and simple, second half play calling looked to me like they were putting stuff on film for other teams to have to game plan for.  I would've preferred them to keep the foot on the gas but Flo plays the long game and they really didn't need to do anything more. I liked what I saw out of the rookie's first start (save the strip sack).  

Wanna give someone a bad grade? Gaskin is more deserving of it. bad drop and fumble.  

The Miami Dolphins are 9-7 in their past 16 games
🤜. 🤛

But I gotta tell you that we are not in agreement on Tua, not even close but I don't want to light folks up for however they feel today, you've always come in here thru thick and thin but I could not disagree more with you on Tua and that's perfectly OK. But I am shaking my head and clinging to my feeling B4 the DRAFT I might add which is Tua is a big gamble and none of the eyeball metrics add up for me. 

Sunday did nothing to derail my POV and you know me in here, I'm easy to walk back things I say when it's clear I'm wrong. 

Fitz should start vs Arizona, this is like sending David Woodley in there circa '81 vs the Chargers(Winslow carried off) when you know damn well that Don Strock is more than capable. 

Tua is David Woodley right now and because so, we are in the middle of a QB controversy whether we want to be or not whether Flores says so or not, whether Fitz agrees or not. 

🤜. 🤛

But I gotta tell you that we are not in agreement on Tua, not even close but I don't want to light folks up for however they feel today, you've always come in here thru thick and thin but I could not disagree more with you on Tua and that's perfectly OK. But I am shaking my head and clinging to my feeling B4 the DRAFT I might add which is Tua is a big gamble and none of the eyeball metrics add up for me. 

Sunday did nothing to derail my POV and you know me in here, I'm easy to walk back things I say when it's clear I'm wrong. 

Fitz should start vs Arizona, this is like sending David Woodley in there circa '81 vs the Chargers(Winslow carried off) when you know damn well that Don Strock is more than capable. 

Tua is Davis Woodley right now and because we are in the middle of a QB controversy whether we want to be or not whether Flores says so or not, whether Fitz agrees or not. 
No way Miami goes back to Fitz after one game.  

No way Miami goes back to Fitz after one game.  
I don't disagree with your statement but I couldn't be more against that decision if you put a football to my head 😉

There would have to be a Biblical Improvement next week to sway me and I think that's about as likely as someone waking up 3 days later after they were pronounced dead. You see where I'm going here? 

There was another QB from the SEC that has magical powers to get an entire team up and doing things they don't normally do when he arrived in the NFL, had a fan base that would stand up to the gates of hell, he was a 1st round pick although there was some slight controversy that he wasn't an NFL QB and yet he willed a team into the playoffs and then was never heard much from again...hmmmm what was that guy's name, think he played in the Rocky Mountains  :whistle:

If I were a fight trainer/manager I'd be throwing in the white towel, Tua is going to get hurt and I've seen enough to back up what my previous thoughts were. 

You all can take your time coming around to what I think will be the inevitable but this kid sucks and I'm not going to sugarcoat it. He has no business taking the field in the NFL as of right now. 

wow.  "this kid sucks" after one game (that was well in hand) is strong even for you.  
Did you watch that opening drive and how he spotted the Rams 7 points? Then proceeded to waste good field position and another FG attempt easily and that's just the 1st Q. Name another high draft pick at QB that has looked this bad especially getting to sit and watch for 6-7 weeks? 

Strong? I might be sugarcoating it  :lmao:

Miami handed it off to Gaskins on 1st down almost every drive I can think of, there were no wrinkles or special plays or anything that made me think Fitz should be sitting or pacing the sidelines. What did you see that made you feel optimistic about the future with Tua at QB? He threw into double coverage, dove head first coming off a major injury, threw into double coverage, had little to no pocket presence, threw into double coverage, could never pick up a simple first down. 

I gotta be honest and I was like a kid waiting to unwrap Christmas presents but instead of new Star Wars toys I got a pack of new socks except these came loaded with holes in them already. I apologize but I just wanted you to have clarity about how I really feel this morning. Hate for anyone to not be clear here. 

Did you watch that opening drive and how he spotted the Rams 7 points? Then proceeded to waste good field position and another FG attempt easily and that's just the 1st Q. Name another high draft pick at QB that has looked this bad especially getting to sit and watch for 6-7 weeks? 

Strong? I might be sugarcoating it  :lmao:

Miami handed it off to Gaskins on 1st down almost every drive I can think of, there were no wrinkles or special plays or anything that made me think Fitz should be sitting or pacing the sidelines. What did you see that made you feel optimistic about the future with Tua at QB? He threw into double coverage, dove head first coming off a major injury, threw into double coverage, had little to no pocket presence, threw into double coverage, could never pick up a simple first down. 

I gotta be honest and I was like a kid waiting to unwrap Christmas presents but instead of new Star Wars toys I got a pack of new socks except these came loaded with holes in them already. I apologize but I just wanted you to have clarity about how I really feel this morning. Hate for anyone to not be clear here. 
23-36 193yds 5.2ypa 0td 1int

That was Joe Burrow's first start, and it came against the league's 6th worst pass defense too (the Rams have the 2nd best pass defense so far this year).

I'll give him a game or two.

Tua could put up those numbers next week and the Dolphins could lose by 20, and I'd still be willing to give him another chance or 2 at being great.

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1324419666555641857?s=20

Dan Orlovsky comments on 3 plays by Tua teasing a TV hit later. I hope to catch the full version that he puts on TV at 4P.  
And Collin Cowhurt carries Sam Darnold's lunch pail to practice for him every day the first couple of years. 

It's cool, I'm fine being on an island from most Phins fans, it's been that way for 20 years in here as I play the role of Paul Revere again and again warning Phins fans but to no avail. 

I'm going to have to see something crazy good this weekend to make me think Tua is going to be the long term solution here. 

12 of 22 for a BIG 93 yards...they didn't ask him to do much? They asked him to drop back and try to throw 22 times and they netted how many yds per throw? Less than 4.5 yds per pass attempt won't get it done on any level.  

Defense shows up today like it has for the past many weeks. 

I know Jordan Howard has been a terrible signing but if there was ever a week for him to make those feelings fade away this would be the week. Perhaps he can get his first great moment in a Miami uniform. 

Tua will once again look terrible at times, might even notch B2B awful weeks. I think Fitz should be ready to enter the game at any time for however long it takes to settle Tua down, maybe a drive, maybe a quarter, figure it out. 

Don't leave this Defense high and Dry because it's the backbone that has you at 4-3 right now. Miami has a winning record, let's focus on that. 

They have blown out 2 good teams in the West over the last 3 weeks and also pitched a shutout of the Jets, that's right a total Bagel, that hasn't happened in a long time here. 

Arizona 20...Miami 17

Just my gut

Austin Jackson the 16th pick in the Draft this past year will be activated from IR for today's game. I want to emphasize how awful he looked at LT, but that is not Tua's bind side, it's the RT spot where Hunt has started to take the field and doing a credible job I might add. Two rookies are blocking Tua's blind side, he was strip sacked on the 1st play of the day last week. 

Another guy who has been activated will be Kirk Merritt and I don't know much about him except he runs a 4.33 and I just want to add that many times a back up QB which is what Tua has been up until last week, they tend to not throw a lot to the 1st Team WRs in this case Parker and Preston, Ford was traded and so suddenly they activate Merritt and Tua doesn't have an allegiance to any one receiver so far that we've seen. 

The only way Fitzpatrick enters the game is if Tua gets injured or totally sucks, which is unlikely.

I think this will be the game where most people will start to form an opinion of how good he'll be. The Barry Jackson analysis showed that  5-game sample is enough. Be patient MoP.

Jordan Howard may surprise - he averaged 4.4 ypc for the Eagles last year.

I’m hoping that Flores dialed the playbook back a bit vs. the Rams, since the game script was so wacky thanks to the defense and special teams. The offense didn’t have to do much at all. Either way, I’m not going to judge Tua on one game. He didn’t play all that well, but his pass catchers didn’t do him any favors either. Big test today on the road. The offense will have to be much better if they are going to be in the game. 

looking forward to seeing how the DEF plays against Murray, they haven’t done well against mobile QBs this year, though obviously they’ve gotten better of late... AZ offense has me a little nervous 

TripleThreat said:
looking forward to seeing how the DEF plays against Murray, they haven’t done well against mobile QBs this year, though obviously they’ve gotten better of late... AZ offense has me a little nervous 
This is Tua's thread but we can discuss the Miami Defense because that's what I am most interested in. I'm not a Murray fan, I just don't buy it. 

Same time, that little dude is fast and I worry. I think Miami have a spy on him, not that you could stop him even if you know it's coming.

Murray has 19 Interceptions and 8 Fumbles or 27 Total in 23 starts? 12 already this season...I played the Miami Defense today, had to trade to get them in a couple leagues a few weeks back when I felt I started to see what was possible and I'm starting to see what a Brian Flores Defense looks like...gotta tell you, it's almost starting to look like what New England put together in the 00s and 10s, I'm not saying they are all the way there but this is light years ahead of where we were a year ago. Last year we were 0-7, this year 4-3 since Tua got drafted, had to circle back to the thread topic  :D

Users who are viewing this thread