What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wilder Fury II (1 Viewer)

UncleZen

Footballguy
Anyone watching this tonight? Will it be worth the hype? I have only watched one fight in the last 20 years and that was the Pacquiao vs Mayweather fight. That one was beyond boring. The hype this week for the fight tonight though has almost suckered me in.

damn fight isnt until midnight, eastern time (and that's the walk to the ring)... fight wont start til about 1230am. ridiculous.

also saw that fury weighed in near 275 and wilder at 230. also ridiculous.

wilder by ko still

The fight itself stunk. Huge letdown after the epic first fight. Once Wilder had his ear drum ruptured it was night night. 

Also.....is it me or is the skill level of these two heavyweights pale in comparison to many of the past Heavyweight champs. I mean the quality of the boxing IMO was awful.

Forget even guys like Ali or Louis in their primes. Guys like:

Larry Holmes

Evander Holyfield

Mike Tyson (in his prime)

Would have destroyed either of these guys in short order. I just feel like the sport has really declined rapidly in the heavyweight division. And that's unfortunate. 

Love Tyson Fury's story though. Feel great for him. This man has overcome a lot to get to this point. So it is a feel good story.

Wilder is an awful boxer. He seriously is a haymaker only type of fighter. I saw nothing from him Saturday night. It was bad. Incredible how he compiled that record going into this bout. He looked flat out bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just feel like the sport has really declined rapidly in the heavyweight division. And that's unfortunate. 
Agree.  I don't think a lot of top athletes are choosing to go into boxing anymore.  Also, in the past the top guys started at like 8 years old and continued to focus 100% on boxing vs other sports.

There are only a handful of boxers today who make a ton of money.  A big/freak athlete has a much better chance to make multi-millions in some other sport.

The 100th paid NFL player makes more than almost all boxers outside of the few big draws.

Agree.  I don't think a lot of top athletes are choosing to go into boxing anymore.  Also, in the past the top guys started at like 8 years old and continued to focus 100% on boxing vs other sports.

There are only a handful of boxers today who make a ton of money.  A big/freak athlete has a much better chance to make multi-millions in some other sport.

The 100th paid NFL player makes more than almost all boxers outside of the few big draws.
Great points. And those with enough personality can even get into wrestling, where the punches are scripted enough to save your brain cells.

The fight itself stunk. Huge letdown after the epic first fight. Once Wilder had his ear drum ruptured it was night night. 

Also.....is it me or is the skill level of these two heavyweights pale in comparison to many of the past Heavyweight champs. I mean the quality of the boxing IMO was awful.

Forget even guys like Ali or Louis in their primes. Guys like:

Larry Holmes

Evander Holyfield

Mike Tyson (in his prime)

Would have destroyed either of these guys in short order. I just feel like the sport has really declined rapidly in the heavyweight division. And that's unfortunate. 

Love Tyson Fury's story though. Feel great for him. This man has overcome a lot to get to this point. So it is a feel good story.

Wilder is an awful boxer. He seriously is a haymaker only type of fighter. I saw nothing from him Saturday night. It was bad. Incredible how he compiled that record going into this bout. He looked flat out bad.
I don't know if Fury would beat any of those guys, but they were all smallish HW's that would struggle with Fury's size. It wasn't a technically proficient performance by Fury, it was a very old-school fight where he punched, smothered, leaned, repeat. And it worked, his strategy was note-perfect. He reacted to that point being deducted as if it were the cost of doing business.

Wilder's fundamental understanding of boxing is pretty poor. Mark Breland, the trainer who's now under fire for throwing the towel (and GOLD ####### MEDALIST), once said that Wilder's at the same level as a boxer that he was when he was 8. But, his power is real. And people watch boxing, at the broadest level, to watch people get knocked the #### out. Failing that, an ###-kicking will suffice. Which is what we got Saturday. The bar I was in seemed entertained and satisfied, overall. For as much as you can #### on Wilder (and I do), his fights are always tense.

I don't know if Fury would beat any of those guys, but they were all smallish HW's that would struggle with Fury's size. It wasn't a technically proficient performance by Fury, it was a very old-school fight where he punched, smothered, leaned, repeat. And it worked, his strategy was note-perfect. He reacted to that point being deducted as if it were the cost of doing business.

Wilder's fundamental understanding of boxing is pretty poor. Mark Breland, the trainer who's now under fire for throwing the towel (and GOLD ####### MEDALIST), once said that Wilder's at the same level as a boxer that he was when he was 8. But, his power is real. And people watch boxing, at the broadest level, to watch people get knocked the #### out. Failing that, an ###-kicking will suffice. Which is what we got Saturday. The bar I was in seemed entertained and satisfied, overall. For as much as you can #### on Wilder (and I do), his fights are always tense.
Holmes was a big man....not bigger than Fury but much bigger than Tyson and Holyfield. 

I agree with your take on Fury's strategy and it worked to perfection. It was sloppy and borderline cheap, but highly effective. Wilder looked befuddled and he was never comfortable. I do think once his ear drum was ruptured he simply had nothing to give. I can't imagine having to fight with that going on. His equalibrium  looked all wrong. I expect a 3rd fight. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren’t they saying now that he didn’t have a burst eardrum? 
Well let's put it this way....after he started bleeding profusely from his ear...he had zero balance. His legs looked like rubber. And that was probably a combination of Fury leaning all over him, pounded him in the body, the head damage.....he got his ### kicked. Plain and simple. He looked awful.  

Holmes was a big man....not bigger than Fury but much bigger than Tyson and Holyfield. 

I agree with your take on Fury's strategy and it worked to perfection. It was sloppy and borderline cheap, but highly effective. Wilder looked befuddled and he was never comfortable. I do think once his ear drum was ruptured he simply had nothing to give. I can't imagine having to fight with that going on. His equalibrium  looked all wrong. I expect a 3rd fight. 
Only 210 when he fought Ali. 250 at the end of his career. Guess it depends which Holmes. 😕

Users who are viewing this thread