What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First world problem: where to go on vacation (1 Viewer)

johnnycakes

Footballguy
Long story short, I'm quitting my job effective June 15, 2020.  That's right, @TheIronSheik.  Finally had enough.  Will take the summer off then look for another job.  Probably take a huge pay cut in the process but I'm fed up with what I'm doing now.  

Anyhow...  I asked my wife if she wanted to go chill out in Amsterdam with me for a week or two in late June; she suggested I go by myself.    So now I'm thinking of going for a week in Amsterdam and a week somewhere else.  I'm not looking to cram in a whole lot of itinerary during these two weeks...  it's mainly recovery and r&r time for me.  I'd be happy sitting at a sidewalk cafe and drinking a bottle or two of wine while people watching every afternoon.  

I'm not a beach person, so beach destinations are not exactly my thing.  

I'm thinking of doing the other week in Prague.  Is that a good option?  What other options should I be considering?  

TIA.

Johnnny.  

Long story short, I'm quitting my job effective June 15, 2020.  That's right, @TheIronSheik.  Finally had enough.  Will take the summer off then look for another job.  Probably take a huge pay cut in the process but I'm fed up with what I'm doing now.  

Anyhow...  I asked my wife if she wanted to go chill out in Amsterdam with me for a week or two in late June; she suggested I go by myself.    So now I'm thinking of going for a week in Amsterdam and a week somewhere else.  I'm not looking to cram in a whole lot of itinerary during these two weeks...  it's mainly recovery and r&r time for me.  I'd be happy sitting at a sidewalk cafe and drinking a bottle or two of wine while people watching every afternoon.  

I'm not a beach person, so beach destinations are not exactly my thing.  

I'm thinking of doing the other week in Prague.  Is that a good option?  What other options should I be considering?  

TIA.

Johnnny.  
By yourself?

Start hiding cash

I was gonna suggest Prague, so I'm glad that you were already thinking that way. Hotel Europa on the main drag cost me $14 a night in 2003. The dude selling a sausage and a beer for $1.50 from a kart outside is good, too. Awesome city.

Not the best time for people watching or international travel. Rent a camper van and road trip the US/Canada. Nature therapy will ease your mind and evade the COVID apocalypse.

Lisbon vote (although Prague is awesome) 

IIRC you are in Boston?

Plenty of direct flights from Boston to Lisbon. A quick 6 hour flight as opposed to 8+ and maybe a stop?

Yeah, I fly out of Boston.  What's the weather like in Lisbon in late June?   hot?  
there are microclimates all along the Portugal coast, so there's always refuge. the palace @ Sintra is there because its in a microclimate. heat is less a factor on the Atlantic coast than the Mediterranean anyway. you wont suffer

Question:  it's not everyday that someone has the time/vacation-days to take an extended trip -- why not go somewhere it would normally be prohibitive given the time, etc.? Australia, Japan or someplace where a longer duration would be necessary just because of traveling logistics?

Last edited by a moderator:
If your going that early, go to one of the Croatian islands and just zone out.  While it’s the coast, you can certainly just sit in one of the cafes and just watch the people, boats, and day go by.  

Question:  it's not everyday that someone has the time/vacation-days to take an extended trip -- why not go somewhere it would normally be prohibitive given the time, etc.? Australia, Japan or someplace where a longer duration would be necessary just because of traveling logistics?
Good points.  Japan,  hmmmm......  

Spent a couple of weeks in Kyoto, Tokyo, Hiroshima and Sapporo a few years ago. 

One of my favorite trips ever and I would’ve never done it if my brother in law hadn’t been living there at the time. 

So glad I went. 

Like Budapest better than Prague (both great, but found Budapest to be less overrun with tourists).

How about Edinburgh?

Or for off the beaten path - highly recommend Tbilisi, Georgia.  Loved Georgia - there's a reason it's having a moment among all the "next big thing" blogs.

Before you book, be aware that Euro 2020 is happening then.  In a couple of cities I was looking into, the hotels were outrageous for days around the games.

It's set.  Have my airline and hotel reservations.  Going to the Dam on June 19, arriving June 20 in the morning.  Leaving for London on June 27.  Will be in London until July 3, when I return to reality.  Thanks to those who contributed suggestions.  

The best day to be in Lisbon is June 12 when they celebrate their St. Anthony Festival.  It is an all day/all night block party with parades, music, drinks, barbecue, singing and dancing.  Really really a festive time with everyone in town participating.  All the bars set up tents outside and grill pork and fish while serving $1 beers and wine.  People party until sunrise. But it seems you will be a few days late.  Weather is great that time of year, although maybe a bit hot in the afternoon (90's).  

Users who are viewing this thread