What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Bryan Edwards, LV (2 Viewers)

Bowden was drafted to play backup RB and OW.

Ruggs and Edwards were drafted to play Z and X, respectively. 

Ty Willy likely to stick around for 2020 as starting X, until Edwards time.
Looks like the Raiders have come out and said Bowden is a RB so that is great news for Edwards. 

If you wanted to use analytics to create a more perfect diamond in the rough prospect, I am not sure you could.

Freshman breakout on a bad team where he accounted for a huge portion of the offense with bad QB against the best conference in football and many top flight CBs. Only hole I guess is that he didn't declare until a senior

That's not to say he 100% will pan out but I think he is undervalued at the moment. I prefer his profile to Aiyuk's, Claypool's and possibly Shenault's (though that's close)

Not Claypool though. I believe Pittsburgh will work Claypool in as a move TE. Just like Waller. This guys playerprofile is unbelievable. No way Pittsburgh has this guy on their bench for a season with minimal snaps as a WR. No way. No.
Might belong better in that thread but my concerns with Claypool: Beyond being a 21 year old breakout I can't think of a single WR for Claypool as a pro comp. A slot WR that big with limited route running chops whose biggest skill is jump balls.

Maybe they move him to TE but not sure he'd be up for that (and the payout it comes with when contract time comes) and they did introduce him as a WR

The Steelers liking him does draw my interest as it would for any WR prospect, but I still have my reservations

I just see Edwards as an easier to project guy in an NFL offense

Yes he is graded against WR. But if graded against TE? 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/chase-claypool/
His athleticism is remarkable regardless of position. But it isn't ideal that he is both raw and a late breakout. Generally you'd expect later breakouts to have more polish. And I am not sure he has much incentive to convert to TE. It means you get paid less 😩

Interesting player for sure though

As for Edwards I bet he starts to creep into the starting X role late in the year and goes into 2020 as the starter.

Looking at the Raiders cap I see no way Tyrell Williams is on the team beyond this season

If you wanted to use analytics to create a more perfect diamond in the rough prospect, I am not sure you could.

Freshman breakout on a bad team where he accounted for a huge portion of the offense with bad QB against the best conference in football and many top flight CBs. Only hole I guess is that he didn't declare until a senior

That's not to say he 100% will pan out but I think he is undervalued at the moment. I prefer his profile to Aiyuk's, Claypool's and possibly Shenault's (though that's close)
Not only that, but he broke out as a 17 year old. So even with the senior declare he still is only 21 for a few more months. He’s just gotta stay healthy.

The thing I like about Edwards is his lower half. I know that sounds weird. But he has huge clodhoppers feet’s and great strength for his size. He’s a beast like Bolden. 
How well have you scouted him? Tell us what you don’t like so we can respect your strongly positive evaluation.

Like I said before, feels eerily similar to the Ravens TEs when they took Hurst way earlier than Andrews but Andrews turned out to be the super stud between the two. Keep in mind when going between Ruggs and Edwards :P

Like I said before, feels eerily similar to the Ravens TEs when they took Hurst way earlier than Andrews but Andrews turned out to be the super stud between the two. Keep in mind when going between Ruggs and Edwards :P
I think very highly of Edwards, but not sure how big the pie is going to be in Vegas.

JetMaxx said:
How well have you scouted him? Tell us what you don’t like so we can respect your strongly positive evaluation.
There is not much I see that I don’t like. This is why I am high on him. Here is a draft profile. But I think the positives far outweigh negative of the strength weaknesses list. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bryan-edwards/32194544-5715-7935-d52c-2e0bf57adf37

I like he did well against SEC competition. I like his size and athleticism. I also see on player profiler he is very high percentile rated in college dominator and breakout age. I don’t see really anything that I don’t like just looking at his play and physical attributes. They mention he had concentration issues leading to drops. I assume this can be worked on. 

I don’t like all of the WR on raiders roster that are projected ahead of him. He may find himself 4th WR. Because I think they love Renfrow in the slot. Ruggs has draft collateral and speed on his side to command a starting role. Williams probably ahead of Edwards to start the season. I think they may put him ahead of Agholor. This is the only think I don’t like, is the situation. 

Having said all of this if you don’t respect my strongly positive evaluation then it won’t matter at all to me. 🙂

Unless you play in or with LV, LA or Oak peeps, you are getting this dude on the super cheap come rookie drafts. Risk/reward profile is compelling, because he seems the only of the rookie Raider WRs to fit the traditional alpha NFL WR1 profile. These three Raiders rookie WRs are all complimentary to one another, and to Waller, Renfrow and Jacobs. The OL is easily top 10 and might push for top 3. Gruyock has the OL lined and deep with talent. My main (and they are potentially major) concerns about the O are Carr/Marriota as potentially never elite signallers and depth behind Jacobs being of the non-exist. Maybe Bowden becomes a legit RB2. I doubt it. More likely, best case, he's a Randall Cobb or Percy Harvin or lower-end, he's comp'ble to Mr. Flashy (Cordarrelle P). Speaking as a non-dynasty guy, but one who's read thousands of dynasty thoughts on these boards over the years, so be free to salt grain me as you need. My return salt runs thin.

@LawFitz I was a little bit surprised to hear the Raiders offensive line being discussed as a top 10 unit in the league.

Looking it up though the Raiders were 6th last year according to FBO they were 13th in 2018.

Looking at the draft, the focus has not been on offensive line since 2018 where they selected Kolton Miller 15th overall and Brandon Parker 65th overall. Miller is a starter. The rest of the lineup looks like were added in free agency.

I am astonished with how much progress they have made without that much investment. The Vikings have been trying to get good there for a lot longer than that but not as successfully.

Ranking the NFL’s best pass-blocking offensive lines on longer developing plays

Excerpt:

1. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

2019 ranking on long plays: 5th
2019 ranking on intended long developing plays: 6th
Starters lost: None

Anchored by Rodney Hudson — the best center in the NFL — the Raiders lead our rankings. The team hasn’t lost a starter from their very good 2019 unit, and since continuity matters, that’s enough of a reason for us to put them in the top spot. Their only weak link, left tackle Kolton Miller, improved significantly in 2019 and can be expected to further improve to some extent. If everything goes well, there should be no excuses for Derek Carr in 2020.

Not what I wanted to hear. 
Just a joke about the word choice by Bear.

I am all for being diverse in how we phrase things. It bugs me when I get stuck on a certain word too many times.

In this case I don't think collateral is synonyms with capital.

Just a joke about the word choice by Bear.

I am all for being diverse in how we phrase things. It bugs me when I get stuck on a certain word too many times.

In this case I don't think collateral is synonyms with capital.
Oh, I missed that on Bear's end. I'm having buyer's remorse on Ruggs these days. We'll see what happens.

Back to Edwards: I've seen him on jet sweeps and jet screens. It's an interesting watch. Not normally the position I'd put him in, but South Carolina did it quite a bit. It eased my mind about his top-end athleticism everyone is worried about because of the broken foot and no combine.

I'm waiting to see what this and next season bring, COVID permitting. 

Oh, I missed that on Bear's end. I'm having buyer's remorse on Ruggs these days. We'll see what happens.

Back to Edwards: I've seen him on jet sweeps and jet screens. It's an interesting watch. Not normally the position I'd put him in, but South Carolina did it quite a bit. It eased my mind about his top-end athleticism everyone is worried about because of the broken foot and no combine.

His usage on jet sweeps and such is a good point. He was used as an occasional punt returner as well. They def seemed to think he was one of their more dynamic players with the ball in his hands.

I'd be surprised if he's not a 4.4 guy. 

rockaction said:

Their offense could not throw downfield a lot of last year, so they had to find creative ways to get him the ball.  A lot of plays that targeted Deebo in prior years.

Contextualization Of WR Bryan Edwards’ 2019 Pass Targets At South Carolina (4 Games)

After contextualizing each target, the data shows that Edwards’ average intended air target distance was a mere 7.85 yards. Additionally, his average completed air yards distance in these four games was just 5.57 yards. Edwards had 151 yards gained after the catch on these 30 receptions with quite a few of those catches originating behind the original line of scrimmage.
As the author says, we need to evaluate prior seasons as well to get a more complete picture, but last season he was used on short passes that allowed Edwards to show off his terrific after the catch abilities. This type of use seems more suitable for the Z WR position that lines up off the line of scrimmage and easier to motion before the snap. 

However the Raiders are planning to use Henry Ruggs at the Z WR position and Edwards at the X position where he will be on the line and its not as easy to scheme open.

Looking at evaluators comments about Bryan Edwards I find a consistent pattern where they question Edwards ability to beat press coverage. He is a WR who is better at the top of his routes and at the catch point than he is at the beginning of his routes to create early separation. Add to this the Raiders plans to play him at X it seems a less than ideal fit for his skill set. He is going to need to get better with his releases and beating the jam at the X position.

Sirius XM's Adam Caplan reports Raiders rookie WR Bryan Edwards (foot) is "ready to go."

Edwards missed the pre-draft process due to a broken foot, which made him slide a bit further than he otherwise would have in the 2020 NFL Draft. The third-rounder doesn't have a clear path to playing time as a rookie with Henry Ruggs and Tyrell Williams manning the two outside spots, but Edwards is a dynasty asset. The Raiders can get out of Williams contract after this season, which would make Edwards a starting receiver candidate for 2021. At South Carolina, Edwards was a four-year starter who left with the third-most receptions (324) and fourth-most receiving yards (3,045) in SEC history. 

RELATED: 

Tyrell Williams

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Jul 28, 2020, 7:45 PM ET

BRYAN EDWARDS WR, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

Raiders coach Jon Gruden said he won’t shy away from playing rookies despite a limited offseason.

“We’ve been good at fast-tracking players at every position,” said Gruden. “We’re not afraid to play the young guys, but they’ve got to earn it.” Henry Ruggs is expected to start Week 1, and Gruden's comments are a good sign for third-rounder Bryan Edwards, who was cleared for the start of training camp. Edwards outproduced Ruggs in college and would have been a top-40 pick if not for a pre-Combine injury. Even on a crowded depth chart, Edwards should be in the mix for a top-three role. There’s some Darius Slayton to Edwards as an overlooked rookie with talent to find his way into snaps.

RELATED: 

Henry Ruggs

, Lynn Bowden

SOURCE: Las Vegas Review-Journal

Jul 31, 2020, 8:20 PM ET

Rotoworld take:

Raiders OC Greg Olson said first-round WR Henry Ruggs will start in the slot.

“We’ll start with Ruggs III in the slot and do some things with Ruggs III," Olson said. "But those guys (Ruggs and Bryan Edwards) are very multiple in what they can do and that’s the goal is to be able to move all of them around to different spots; the one, two or three position at the wide receiver.” Ruggs is no stranger to that role as he ran 18.4% of his routes from the slot in his final year at Alabama, but it's an important note since it would oddly leave Hunter Renfrow, who led Las Vegas' wide receivers in targets (71) last year, off the field. Tyrell Williams and third-rounder Bryan Edwards (6’3/212), who totaled the third-most receptions (324) and fourth-most receiving yards (3,045) in SEC history as a four-year starter at South Carolina, are expected to start at the team's X and Z positions on the outside.

SOURCE: Raiders Wire on Twitter

Aug 6, 2020, 9:18 AM ET

Raiders WR Corp is going to be difficult for fantasy football.    Maybe it will work itself out as the season progresses but I’m not sure who will be the most targeted WR.   I thought Renfrow would pick up in 2020 where he left off last season but I’m not sure that he is a starter now.  Who knows?   Maybe Gruden will use the 4 main WRs as interchangeable parts at the beginning of the season and let the production determine playing time.  

Raiders WR Corp is going to be difficult for fantasy football.    Maybe it will work itself out as the season progresses but I’m not sure who will be the most targeted WR.   I thought Renfrow would pick up in 2020 where he left off last season but I’m not sure that he is a starter now.  Who knows?   Maybe Gruden will use the 4 main WRs as interchangeable parts at the beginning of the season and let the production determine playing time.  
I never got the Renfrow love. I thought he benefited from the lack of options for the Raiders down the stretch. I did think he’d be the slot guy this year with Ruggs/Williams on the outside. I’m all over Edwards in dynasty but was planning on this being a “redshirt” year for him until Tyrell was let go in 2021. I wasn’t thinking about drafting him for redraft until now. Was going to monitor his snap% and keep an eye on injuries to the others. He’s a beast though and if he’s forcing his way on to the field early, I don’t think he’s going to leave it very much. I’ll probably grab him late in redrafts and see how the snap shares shake out the first couple weeks. 

I never got the Renfrow love. I thought he benefited from the lack of options for the Raiders down the stretch. I did think he’d be the slot guy this year with Ruggs/Williams on the outside. I’m all over Edwards in dynasty but was planning on this being a “redshirt” year for him until Tyrell was let go in 2021. I wasn’t thinking about drafting him for redraft until now. Was going to monitor his snap% and keep an eye on injuries to the others. He’s a beast though and if he’s forcing his way on to the field early, I don’t think he’s going to leave it very much. I’ll probably grab him late in redrafts and see how the snap shares shake out the first couple weeks. 
The Renfrow love is due to his production.   He doesn’t look like a great athlete but his production was legit.   He ran solid routes and was faster/quicker than most thought.   He got a lot of targets and produced.   The Raiders would be foolish to not use him.   

The Renfrow love is due to his production.   He doesn’t look like a great athlete but his production was legit.   He ran solid routes and was faster/quicker than most thought.   He got a lot of targets and produced.   The Raiders would be foolish to not use him.   
He got a lot of targets late in the season when Tyrell was banged up. I doubt it was ever the Raiders plan to have him lead their receivers in targets last year or in the future, hence adding a first round Wr and another big time talent in Edwards. Taking nothing away from his production- it was good and he looked good doing it, but he did it as one of the only options and now if everyone stays healthy he’s probably 3rd or 4th amongst wrs for targets.

He got a lot of targets late in the season when Tyrell was banged up. I doubt it was ever the Raiders plan to have him lead their receivers in targets last year or in the future, hence adding a first round Wr and another big time talent in Edwards. Taking nothing away from his production- it was good and he looked good doing it, but he did it as one of the only options and now if everyone stays healthy he’s probably 3rd or 4th amongst wrs for targets.
Renfrow should move down the list but he proved he can play well enough to be on the field.   Tyrell is the real wild card.   Can he stay healthy enough to be on the field or is Renfrow pressed into action again as the WR3.  This is assuming that Ruggs and Edwards deliver as expected as well.   Sometimes, highly drafted players don’t pan out or take a year or so to figure it out.  As a Raider fan, I hope Ruggs and Edwards play so well that the become the WR1 and WR2 that the Raiders desperately need.  

Sounds like he is impressing big time in camp

Sucks he's on the Raiders but he was a really good value for those who had their rookie drafts in May/June

USA Today’s Marcus Mosher reports rookie Bryan Edwards could start at X receiver.

Edwards is full-go at training camp after missing the pre-draft process.  Coach Jon Gruden suggested he’s already passed Hunter Renfrow for a top-three role, and playing the X spot could put him ahead of Henry Ruggs or Tyrell Williams in two wide sets. The Raiders have made it clear they have plans for Edwards now that he’s healthy. The SEC all-timer is looking like a good bet to start Week 1.

RELATED: 

Henry Ruggs

, Tyrell Williams

, Hunter Renfrow

SOURCE: USA Today

Aug 7, 2020, 5:30 PM ET

I believe the fantasy community at FBGs overvalued Edwards.  He didn't accomplish a lot in college, but most made excuses because of bad QB play.  While some of that is true, I think underachieved greatly in college, so call me a skeptic. 
Didn’t accomplish a lot? He’s 4th all time for receiving yards in the SEC! I know the counter is he played 4 years and numerous guys would have more had they played 4 rather than 3, but as you mention he did that with crappy Qb play, and he missed 4-5 games, and he was very young for his class. He’s only a couple months older than Jrs Reagor, Ruggs, Higgins. About 5 months older than Lamb and Jeudy. He was starting in the SEC at 17!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I cant agree with JohnnyU statement about Edwards not accomplishing much in college.

IN THE RED CORNER: TYLER JOHNSON; IN THE BLUE CORNER: BRYAN EDWARDS

Edwards exemplifies why raw statistics don’t tell the whole story of a player’s college production. A knee injury cut short what would’ve been a career-best senior year. As a result, he never reached the aesthetically-pleasing 1,000-yard receiving plateau. The haters usually fail to mention that South Carolina only crested 3,000 passing yards in one of Edwards’ four seasons. Or that the production he did put up still accounted for a 48.4-percent College Dominator Rating (94th-percentile per PlayerProfiler), in the SEC of all conferences. It also helps explain his low College YPR but I digress. What matters more to us is how early Edwards became an impact player. His 17.8 Breakout Age is the second-best in the entire PlayerProfiler database, and he maintained or improved upon his production every year. He was a young senior, meaning that — despite playing four years of college football — he’s still the 11th-youngest wideout in this rookie class.

Users who are viewing this thread