Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Zyphros

Dynasty: Bryan Edwards He's A RAIDER

Bowden was drafted to play backup RB and OW.

Ruggs and Edwards were drafted to play Z and X, respectively. 

Ty Willy likely to stick around for 2020 as starting X, until Edwards time.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 1:18 AM, LawFitz said:

Bowden was drafted to play backup RB and OW.

Ruggs and Edwards were drafted to play Z and X, respectively. 

Ty Willy likely to stick around for 2020 as starting X, until Edwards time.

Looks like the Raiders have come out and said Bowden is a RB so that is great news for Edwards. 

49 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Looks like the Raiders have come out and said Bowden is a RB so that is great news for Edwards. 

Better news for Renfrow

• Like 1

If you wanted to use analytics to create a more perfect diamond in the rough prospect, I am not sure you could.

Freshman breakout on a bad team where he accounted for a huge portion of the offense with bad QB against the best conference in football and many top flight CBs. Only hole I guess is that he didn't declare until a senior

That's not to say he 100% will pan out but I think he is undervalued at the moment. I prefer his profile to Aiyuk's, Claypool's and possibly Shenault's (though that's close)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, KChusker said:

If you wanted to use analytics to create a more perfect diamond in the rough prospect, I am not sure you could.

Freshman breakout on a bad team where he accounted for a huge portion of the offense with bad QB against the best conference in football and many top flight CBs. Only hole I guess is that he didn't declare until a senior

That's not to say he 100% will pan out but I think he is undervalued at the moment. I prefer his profile to Aiyuk's, Claypool's and possibly Shenault's (though that's close)

Not Claypool though. I believe Pittsburgh will work Claypool in as a move TE. Just like Waller. This guys playerprofile is unbelievable. No way Pittsburgh has this guy on their bench for a season with minimal snaps as a WR. No way. No.

4 minutes ago, Blackbear said:

Not Claypool though. I believe Pittsburgh will work Claypool in as a move TE. Just like Waller. This guys playerprofile is unbelievable. No way Pittsburgh has this guy on their bench for a season with minimal snaps as a WR. No way. No.

Might belong better in that thread but my concerns with Claypool: Beyond being a 21 year old breakout I can't think of a single WR for Claypool as a pro comp. A slot WR that big with limited route running chops whose biggest skill is jump balls.

Maybe they move him to TE but not sure he'd be up for that (and the payout it comes with when contract time comes) and they did introduce him as a WR

The Steelers liking him does draw my interest as it would for any WR prospect, but I still have my reservations

I just see Edwards as an easier to project guy in an NFL offense

8 minutes ago, KChusker said:

Might belong better in that thread but my concerns with Claypool: Beyond being a 21 year old breakout I can't think of a single WR for Claypool as a pro comp. A slot WR that big with limited route running chops whose biggest skill is jump balls.

Maybe they move him to TE but not sure he'd be up for that (and the payout it comes with when contract time comes) and they did introduce him as a WR

The Steelers liking him does draw my interest as it would for any WR prospect, but I still have my reservations

Comp for Claypool in my opinion is Hernandez. Hopefully Claypool doesn’t murder people. 🤣

But on field he looks like a Hernandez clone. Or a Waller clone. 

12 minutes ago, KChusker said:

Yes he is graded against WR. But if graded against TE? 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/chase-claypool/

2 minutes ago, Blackbear said:

Yes he is graded against WR. But if graded against TE? 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/chase-claypool/

His athleticism is remarkable regardless of position. But it isn't ideal that he is both raw and a late breakout. Generally you'd expect later breakouts to have more polish. And I am not sure he has much incentive to convert to TE. It means you get paid less 😩

Interesting player for sure though

As for Edwards I bet he starts to creep into the starting X role late in the year and goes into 2020 as the starter.

Looking at the Raiders cap I see no way Tyrell Williams is on the team beyond this season

The thing I like about Edwards is his lower half. I know that sounds weird. But he has huge clodhoppers feet’s and great strength for his size. He’s a beast like Bolden. 

1 minute ago, KChusker said:

His athleticism is remarkable regardless of position. But it isn't ideal that he is both raw and a late breakout. Generally you'd expect later breakouts to have more polish. And I am not sure he has much incentive to convert to TE. It means you get paid less 😩

Interesting player for sure though

As for Edwards I bet he starts to creep into the starting X role late in the year and goes into 2020 as the starter.

Looking at the Raiders cap I see no way Tyrell Williams is on the team beyond this season

You will have incentive when you sit on the bench for two years or play now and become a premiere player. 

6 hours ago, KChusker said:

Not only that, but he broke out as a 17 year old. So even with the senior declare he still is only 21 for a few more months. He’s just gotta stay healthy.

19 hours ago, Blackbear said:

The thing I like about Edwards is his lower half. I know that sounds weird. But he has huge clodhoppers feet’s and great strength for his size. He’s a beast like Bolden. 

How well have you scouted him? Tell us what you don’t like so we can respect your strongly positive evaluation.

Like I said before, feels eerily similar to the Ravens TEs when they took Hurst way earlier than Andrews but Andrews turned out to be the super stud between the two. Keep in mind when going between Ruggs and Edwards :P

17 minutes ago, zeeshan2 said:

Like I said before, feels eerily similar to the Ravens TEs when they took Hurst way earlier than Andrews but Andrews turned out to be the super stud between the two. Keep in mind when going between Ruggs and Edwards :P

I think very highly of Edwards, but not sure how big the pie is going to be in Vegas.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, JetMaxx said:

How well have you scouted him? Tell us what you don’t like so we can respect your strongly positive evaluation.

There is not much I see that I don’t like. This is why I am high on him. Here is a draft profile. But I think the positives far outweigh negative of the strength weaknesses list. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bryan-edwards/32194544-5715-7935-d52c-2e0bf57adf37

I like he did well against SEC competition. I like his size and athleticism. I also see on player profiler he is very high percentile rated in college dominator and breakout age. I don’t see really anything that I don’t like just looking at his play and physical attributes. They mention he had concentration issues leading to drops. I assume this can be worked on. 

I don’t like all of the WR on raiders roster that are projected ahead of him. He may find himself 4th WR. Because I think they love Renfrow in the slot. Ruggs has draft collateral and speed on his side to command a starting role. Williams probably ahead of Edwards to start the season. I think they may put him ahead of Agholor. This is the only think I don’t like, is the situation. 

Having said all of this if you don’t respect my strongly positive evaluation then it won’t matter at all to me. 🙂

Unless you play in or with LV, LA or Oak peeps, you are getting this dude on the super cheap come rookie drafts. Risk/reward profile is compelling, because he seems the only of the rookie Raider WRs to fit the traditional alpha NFL WR1 profile. These three Raiders rookie WRs are all complimentary to one another, and to Waller, Renfrow and Jacobs. The OL is easily top 10 and might push for top 3. Gruyock has the OL lined and deep with talent. My main (and they are potentially major) concerns about the O are Carr/Marriota as potentially never elite signallers and depth behind Jacobs being of the non-exist. Maybe Bowden becomes a legit RB2. I doubt it. More likely, best case, he's a Randall Cobb or Percy Harvin or lower-end, he's comp'ble to Mr. Flashy (Cordarrelle P). Speaking as a non-dynasty guy, but one who's read thousands of dynasty thoughts on these boards over the years, so be free to salt grain me as you need. My return salt runs thin.

• Like 5

@LawFitz I was a little bit surprised to hear the Raiders offensive line being discussed as a top 10 unit in the league.

Looking it up though the Raiders were 6th last year according to FBO they were 13th in 2018.

Looking at the draft, the focus has not been on offensive line since 2018 where they selected Kolton Miller 15th overall and Brandon Parker 65th overall. Miller is a starter. The rest of the lineup looks like were added in free agency.

I am astonished with how much progress they have made without that much investment. The Vikings have been trying to get good there for a lot longer than that but not as successfully.

Ranking the NFL’s best pass-blocking offensive lines on longer developing plays

Excerpt:

1. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

2019 ranking on long plays: 5th
2019 ranking on intended long developing plays: 6th
Starters lost: None

Anchored by Rodney Hudson — the best center in the NFL — the Raiders lead our rankings. The team hasn’t lost a starter from their very good 2019 unit, and since continuity matters, that’s enough of a reason for us to put them in the top spot. Their only weak link, left tackle Kolton Miller, improved significantly in 2019 and can be expected to further improve to some extent. If everything goes well, there should be no excuses for Derek Carr in 2020.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:08 AM, Biabreakable said:

I look forward to Ruggs taking out a loan based on his draft position.

Not what I wanted to hear. 

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

Not what I wanted to hear. 

Just a joke about the word choice by Bear.

I am all for being diverse in how we phrase things. It bugs me when I get stuck on a certain word too many times.

In this case I don't think collateral is synonyms with capital.

1 minute ago, Biabreakable said:

Just a joke about the word choice by Bear.

I am all for being diverse in how we phrase things. It bugs me when I get stuck on a certain word too many times.

In this case I don't think collateral is synonyms with capital.

Oh, I missed that on Bear's end. I'm having buyer's remorse on Ruggs these days. We'll see what happens.

Back to Edwards: I've seen him on jet sweeps and jet screens. It's an interesting watch. Not normally the position I'd put him in, but South Carolina did it quite a bit. It eased my mind about his top-end athleticism everyone is worried about because of the broken foot and no combine.

I'm waiting to see what this and next season bring, COVID permitting. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rockaction said:

Oh, I missed that on Bear's end. I'm having buyer's remorse on Ruggs these days. We'll see what happens.

Back to Edwards: I've seen him on jet sweeps and jet screens. It's an interesting watch. Not normally the position I'd put him in, but South Carolina did it quite a bit. It eased my mind about his top-end athleticism everyone is worried about because of the broken foot and no combine.

His usage on jet sweeps and such is a good point. He was used as an occasional punt returner as well. They def seemed to think he was one of their more dynamic players with the ball in his hands.

13 hours ago, rockaction said:

I'd be surprised if he's not a 4.4 guy. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 11:27 PM, rockaction said:

Their offense could not throw downfield a lot of last year, so they had to find creative ways to get him the ball.  A lot of plays that targeted Deebo in prior years.

Contextualization Of WR Bryan Edwards’ 2019 Pass Targets At South Carolina (4 Games)

After contextualizing each target, the data shows that Edwards’ average intended air target distance was a mere 7.85 yards. Additionally, his average completed air yards distance in these four games was just 5.57 yards. Edwards had 151 yards gained after the catch on these 30 receptions with quite a few of those catches originating behind the original line of scrimmage.

As the author says, we need to evaluate prior seasons as well to get a more complete picture, but last season he was used on short passes that allowed Edwards to show off his terrific after the catch abilities. This type of use seems more suitable for the Z WR position that lines up off the line of scrimmage and easier to motion before the snap. 

However the Raiders are planning to use Henry Ruggs at the Z WR position and Edwards at the X position where he will be on the line and its not as easy to scheme open.

Looking at evaluators comments about Bryan Edwards I find a consistent pattern where they question Edwards ability to beat press coverage. He is a WR who is better at the top of his routes and at the catch point than he is at the beginning of his routes to create early separation. Add to this the Raiders plans to play him at X it seems a less than ideal fit for his skill set. He is going to need to get better with his releases and beating the jam at the X position.