What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Bryan Edwards, LV (1 Viewer)

Bedwards is flashing out there despite being banged up and underutilized. The big gainer on his crossing route this week was delicious until I threw up in my mouth at the end when the tackler murdered his ankles. He came into this season a beat up rookie and yesterday almost surely added new knocks - so might have to temper expectations severely until at least the 2nd half of this season; and perhaps more likely - until next year, especially if the Raiders don't give this dude a few weeks off to get his body right.

Not comparing them at all as players, so don't get this twisted - but look at Kamara last year versus every other year, particularly this one. Have you ever done anything physical, yetless played a sport with a nagging injury? Few can do it effectively, particularly those who are dealing with lower-body stuff and rely heavily on explosiveness to compete.

But again, he's flashing. I don't play dynasty, but if I did, he'd absolutely be a hold for now. Beddy and Ruggs have shown me enough already to believe the hype - IF they can find/maintain health (potentially a big IF - some just aren't built to withstand the NFL), I could see these two becoming a monster duo for Gruden/Carr. They compliment one another incredibly. It's a crying shame both are already breaking down; just got to hope the knocks are short term.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden said he's "concerned" about the injuries for rookies Henry Ruggs (hamstring) and Bryan Edwards (ankle).

He declined to give an update until the trainers had more results. As it stands, it sounds as if both Ruggs and Edwards will miss a handful of games. Slot wideout Hunter Renfrow emerged for 6/84/1 receiving on nine targets in Week 3 and could be leaned on for an extended period if Las Vegas' rookies are sidelined. 

RELATED: 

Bryan Edwards

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Sep 28, 2020, 4:41 PM ET

Bryan Edwards (ankle) has been ruled out for Week 4.

This doesn’t come as a surprise after coach Jon Gruden said he was “concerned” with Edwards following Sunday’s game. Edwards missed the second half of Week 3 with an ankle sprain. The Raiders are calling him week to week and he could sit multiple games. With Henry Ruggs (knee) also sidelined, the Raiders are down to Hunter Renfrow, Nelson Agholor, and Zay Jones as their top three receivers.

DFS Slant:

Look for more on Hunter Renfrow in this week's DFS Bargains article; he's the best bet to take advantage of his teammates' injuries this week

SOURCE: NFL Network

Sep 30, 2020, 9:14 AM ET

Raiders WR Bryan Edwards (ankle) is out Week 5 against the Chiefs.

Edwards missed Week 4 and is week to week after being unable to practice all week. Perhaps the training camp report star of the 2020 offseason, Edwards has been injured and kept out of redraft consideration despite Tyrell Williams' shoulder injury. Henry Ruggs and Hunter Renfrow have better odds of becoming flex options in 2020. Edwards is a dynasty league sleeper.

Oct 9, 2020, 8:14 PM ET

Really felt this guy was going to pop right away. I read the fit wrong. I don't think I read his talent wrong because the few plays he has made have looked great but def misread the fit. Not sure how long he will take to hit at this point. 

Bryan Edwards (ankle) has been ruled out for Week 7 against the Bucs.

It's an early rule out for Edwards, who hasn't practiced since Week 3. The Raiders will continue to go with a three-wide set of Henry Ruggs, Nelson Agholor, and Hunter Renfrow with Edwards sidelined.

Oct 24, 2020, 9:32 AM ET

Bryan Edwards (foot, ankle) got in "limited" practices on Wednesday and Thursday. 

The intriguing rookie wideout has not played since Week 3. This gives him a shot at finally returning against the Browns, though after this long of a layoff, we probably need to see a "full" session before considering Edwards likely to return. Whenever Edwards finally gets back, it will be to a receiver corps where Nelson Agholor is somehow emerging as the No. 1 wideout, at least on a temporary basis. 

Oct 29, 2020, 7:50 PM ET

Raiders WR Bryan Edwards (foot, ankle) is doubtful for Week 8 against the Browns.

Edwards opened Las Vegas' first three games as the starter opposite Henry Ruggs but provided little impact with 5/99 on six targets. Nelson Agholor has since usurped him, recording a 16.6% target share on 79% of the team's snaps the past two games. Agholor will likely keep the starting gig whenever Edwards is cleared to return.

SOURCE: NFL Communications

Oct 30, 2020, 7:45 PM ET

Apparently he is healthy again and he played in the most recent game vs the Broncos where he had 1 receptions for 16 yards.

Nelson Agholor got the start and had more targets than Edwards.

Is Agholor playing the X WR position?

Snap counts are not published yet so I don't know how much Edwards played yet. Looking for information on that from those who saw the game.

The Athletic's Vic Tafur said WR Bryan Edwards will start for the Raiders in three-receiver sets alongside Henry Ruggs and John Brown. 

It seems a bit presumptuous for the second-year receiver who proved wildly disappointing as a rookie. Edwards opened the 2020 season as a Vegas starter, then missed a month and a half with an ankle injury. He was then phased out of the offense in favor of Nelson Agholor. With Agholor gone, the Raiders could give Edwards another crack at a starting job, though he could have a short leash with Jon Gruden and the team's coaching staff. Edwards, at best, profiles as the team's fourth option in the passing game. 

RELATED: 

Henry Ruggs

, John Brown

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 5, 2021, 12:56 PM ET

Any thoughts on Edwards?  Injured last season me no training camp.  With Agholor going to NE and Waller drawing attention one of the WRs has to fill the void.  

He’s either not getting drafted or drafted very late.  Very little buzz for him this year.  He seems like a guy with upside who is worth a flier late to see how he can produce early.  

Any thoughts on Edwards?  Injured last season me no training camp.  With Agholor going to NE and Waller drawing attention one of the WRs has to fill the void.  

He’s either not getting drafted or drafted very late.  Very little buzz for him this year.  He seems like a guy with upside who is worth a flier late to see how he can produce early.  
He's worth a flyer in dynasty, I'm not so sure about redraft at all. Seems like you'd wait until camp to suss that out or you'd wait until a couple of weeks in to see how many routes he runs. I know Rotounderworld and the analytics guys love him, but there have been misses on the front, too. 

If you can get him for virtually free in dynasty, I'd do it. Otherwise, I'd stay away, and I drafted him 2.7 in my dyno last year. I then traded him for a future second, which was nice. 

Worth a flier to me in redraft to me. Seems likely to start and had a nice profile coming out. Was very buzzy in camp last year but the high ankle sprain he suffered against NE likely lingered all year and was probably why Agholor passed him. 

USA Today had an article June 30 “Raiders WR Bryan Edwards slated for breakout season in 2021.” Copy link doesn’t seem to be working for me but easy to google. Also saw that DLF has a recent article, but it’s subscriber content.

I’ve had 3 other owners who sent me offers, but clearly valuing him as a nobody. That tells me he’s a somebody to be optimistic about.

I watched the 13 hours of Back Together Saturday or whatever NFLN called their camp coverage yesterday.  They interviewed Gruden and he mentioned Edwards.  I don't remember exactly what he said, but something about how talented he is and he physically looks like TO or some of the other #1WRs in the league.

I watched the 13 hours of Back Together Saturday or whatever NFLN called their camp coverage yesterday.  They interviewed Gruden and he mentioned Edwards.  I don't remember exactly what he said, but something about how talented he is and he physically looks like TO or some of the other #1WRs in the league.
I was coming to post this, he said Edwards looks like TO and said something about him being capable of being one of the #1 WRs in the league. . He said Edwards has "great ability". Camp reports say Edwards has mostly been the starting X WR when Carr is out there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Love to hear this.  If it's not too delusional to suggest that he got injured and never got anywhere close to 100% in the comeback last year, then there sure seemed to be an awful lot of hype in camp last year.   Enough that he might be criminally underrated right now.

The knock is that there seems to be fair amount of injury history.   But given that there is a WR1 profile here, why wouldn't you stash that for the current going rate?   I gained a lot of hope this offseason for Edwards and Ruggs when I saw what the Raiders did and didn't do to address their future WR1.

I was coming to post this, he said Edwards looks like TO and said something about him being capable of being one of the #1 WRs in the league. . He said Edwards has "great ability". Camp reports say Edwards has mostly been the starting X WR when Carr is out there. 

Any word on Ruggs role in the rotation? Is it more or less the two of them across from each other?

Don't forget PFF's article about Carr and X receiver and how he never uses them, per that article. Just coming in to post that we should temper expectations about him. 

Ruggs is also, according to the Athletic, starting across from him on the outside. Waller, Edwards, Ruggs, and one other, though I forget who, are supposed to be the main contributors. 

Don't forget about Renfrow. He's a good receiver. Ball always seems to find him. Very much noticeable on the field. 

Don't forget PFF's article about Carr and X receiver and how he never uses them, per that article. Just coming in to post that we should temper expectations about him. 

Ruggs is also, according to the Athletic, starting across from him on the outside. Waller, Edwards, Ruggs, and one other, though I forget who, are supposed to be the main contributors. 

Don't forget about Renfrow. He's a good receiver. Ball always seems to find him. Very much noticeable on the field. 
Where did Agholor lineup when he was doing well last year? 

Raiders Mailbag: How have the second-year wideouts fared during Training Camp?

Excerpt:

"How is Bryan Edwards looking this year?"

According to Head Coach Jon Gruden, like Terrell Owens.

Bryan Edwards has also had his moments through the first week of camp where he looks like he could become a dangerous weapon in this offense. A very common word that has come up to describe the way Edwards plays is "violent." Everything Edwards does is intense and with passion. He loves to use his height and strength to bully defenders, and is becoming a better route runner.

Edwards – like his 2020 draft classmate Ruggs – has looked much more serious and focused on the field with more knowledge of the playbook. It seems like the progressions of the two receivers have gone hand in hand throughout the offseason. Gruden is looking forward to seeing what Edwards has to offer going into preseason and compared the receiver to a Hall of Famer during an interview with NFL Network.

"Edwards has great ability," said Gruden. "He's got great ability. I'm excited about him. You see he looks like T.O., he looks like one of the number one wideouts in the league."

Who was the X WR when Carr had his "MVP" season. Crabtree had 146 targets for 900 yards and 9 TDs, Amari Cooper had 130 targets for 1000/6. The following year he threw Crabtree 145 targets for 1000/8, Cooper had 132 targets for 1150 and 5. I would also say before Waller arrived, did Carr have a history of using the TE? I think Carr is no world beater but he's good enough to the focus on the talent around him, wherever it may be lined up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Who was the X WR when Carr had his "MVP" season. Crabtree had 146 targets for 900 yards and 9 TDs, Amari Cooper had 130 targets for 1000/6. The following year he threw Crabtree 145 targets for 1000/8, Cooper had 132 targets for 1150 and 5. I would also say before Waller arrived, did Carr have a history of using the TE? I think Carr is no world beater but he's good enough to the focus on the talent around him, wherever it may be lined up. 
Per PFF. Note that Cooper's last year with the Raiders was awful, but this is the quote. There was a full-length article explaining it, IIRC: 

There are also questions as to how that skill set [Edwards's] fits into the Las Vegas Raiders offense. The X role that he'd be taking over from Tyrell Williams is simply not one that Derek Carr has thrown to over the course of his career. Last season, he targeted split wide receivers 160 times all season, 25th among all quarterbacks in the NFL. Heck, Williams himself saw only 4.3 targets per game when healthy last season.

While you could chalk up some of that as a byproduct of the talent around him, Carr targeted outside receivers only 204 times (14th) in his final year with Amari Cooper in his receiving corps. That's far from a heavy share to go around for Edwards. With Darren Waller at tight end, Hunter Renfrow in the slot and first-rounder Henry Ruggs III all vying for significant target share, there simply may not be a ton left for Edwards in Las Vegas.

Per PFF. Note that Cooper's last year with the Raiders was awful, but this is the quote. There was a full-length article explaining it, IIRC: 

There are also questions as to how that skill set [Edwards's] fits into the Las Vegas Raiders offense. The X role that he'd be taking over from Tyrell Williams is simply not one that Derek Carr has thrown to over the course of his career. Last season, he targeted split wide receivers 160 times all season, 25th among all quarterbacks in the NFL. Heck, Williams himself saw only 4.3 targets per game when healthy last season.

While you could chalk up some of that as a byproduct of the talent around him, Carr targeted outside receivers only 204 times (14th) in his final year with Amari Cooper in his receiving corps. That's far from a heavy share to go around for Edwards. With Darren Waller at tight end, Hunter Renfrow in the slot and first-rounder Henry Ruggs III all vying for significant target share, there simply may not be a ton left for Edwards in Las Vegas.
My take on this would be, it doesn't surprise me at all that Tyrell Williams didn't get a lot of targets. He's not very good. The last year with Cooper, Carr targeted outside WRs 204 times which was 14th in the league- so pretty much an average amount? Which is impressive since Cooper only played 6 games which made a totally washed Jordy Nelson their top outside WR. Also, I still don't see them accounting for all the targets of Cooper and Crabtree when they were both putting up top 24 WR seasons. I don't have data on how often they lined up or were targeted from X, Y or the slot I seem to remember them playing outside a great deal of the time. The trap I would be more worried for Ruggs and Edwards is just that Carr is totally locked into Waller. Not because of where Waller plays but because Waller is so damn good. 

The way I see it, Derek Carr isn't a QB that's going to "make" Bryan Edwards, but if Bryan Edwards comes out and beasts, then I don't think Carr is a QB that's going to hold him back.   Seems like they're giving him opportunity, it might not be the most fertile fields in the NFL for a young WR, but I don't feel like I'm going to be on here next year cursing David Carr for holding Edwards back if it doesn't pan out.

I'm sure it was the usual blowing of smoke, but the fact that Carr compared him to Devante Adams from their time at Fresno State would suggest he's not going to go out of his way to ice him out.

woodstock said:
That certainly is a fair inference. 

Bit of hyperbole intended there.  :)    I know you're not suggesting that Carr freezes out his X WR.

Carr's tendencies might not be helpful and they might ultimately limit the true upside here.    However, as an Edwards (or Ruggs) owner, I think what I'm hoping for this season is that he simply sticks in a starting role and shows enough to get excited about him as a startable fantasy asset with upside going into next season.

Ultimately, I think it will be Bryan Edwards' talent and ability to stay healthy that decides that.   If he wasn't being given an opportunity to start, getting enough opportunities in a Carr offense to distinguish himself would be a much bigger concern for me.

Bit of hyperbole intended there.  :)    I know you're not suggesting that Carr freezes out his X WR.

Carr's tendencies might not be helpful and they might ultimately limit the true upside here.    However, as an Edwards (or Ruggs) owner, I think what I'm hoping for this season is that he simply sticks in a starting role and shows enough to get excited about him as a startable fantasy asset with upside going into next season.

Ultimately, I think it will be Bryan Edwards' talent and ability to stay healthy that decides that.   If he wasn't being given an opportunity to start, getting enough opportunities in a Carr offense to distinguish himself would be a much bigger concern for me.
I just looked at Bobby Layne's posting about Deep Ball Passing Accuracy and total number of throws 21+ yards downfield. Carr had 45 and finished second in accuracy in deep ball passing last year. The forty-five, the article noted, was a significant increase from previous years, and his accuracy was excellent, as finishing second would indicate. That might bode well for the Raiders receivers going into the future. 

"It’s happened. An AFC West quarterback was more accurate down the field than Mahomes, and just barely.

Derek Carr was looking outside the top 10 in deep accuracy for previous last two seasons, so the front office helped him have his best season since 2016 by going out and getting Nelson Agholor and Henry Ruggs the third. For Carr, it’s never been that he’s missed on deep attempts, but that he wasn’t throwing them to begin with, or at least at the rate we wanted him to. With the addition of Agholor and Ruggs and the continued greatness of Darren Waller, his deep accuracy was sent out of orbit as he was one of two quarterbacks to finish with an Accuracy Percentage of 60%.

Carr also had a considerable advantage over the rest in tight windows, finishing by far as the most accurate deep passer in that area. He was also first in accuracy from the shotgun and throwing to his right, while also improving in accuracy against pressure and finishing in the top three on throws of 26-30 yards and inside the pocket. 

The result was a very fun deep passing season, one undermined by infamously stupid red zone play calling and a defense that did not play defense. It’s hard to fault Carr for the mediocrity the Raiders showcased in another second half collapse, as nearly losing to the Jets will raise concerns about your team every time. He did get some help in terms of YAC, finishing with 202 in that category. That helped him finish fourth in deep passing yards as well (902).

To sum it all up, Carr was wonderful as a deep passer in 2020, offering consistent precision and thrills that made the Raiders offense one of the league’s most fascinating throughout the season. And he was just short of first place in deep accuracy."

At the X WR position.

Edwards won the starting X WR job and started there for the first two games, then he got injured and Agholor replaced him. He never got back to starting last year.

What woodstock is saying about this is also correct though as they have WR move around and change positions, Agholor likely played some Z WR as well.

Traditionally the Z WR is the top guy in WCO over the X but it does depend on the relative talent level of the players.

No one wants to talk to me about this but I am pretty sure Waller plays a lot of Z WR for them even though he is a TE.

At the X WR position.

Edwards won the starting X WR job and started there for the first two games, then he got injured and Agholor replaced him. He never got back to starting last year.

What woodstock is saying about this is also correct though as they have WR move around and change positions, Agholor likely played some Z WR as well.

Traditionally the Z WR is the top guy in WCO over the X but it does depend on the relative talent level of the players.

No one wants to talk to me about this but I am pretty sure Waller plays a lot of Z WR for them even though he is a TE.

Waller lined up at TE 64.9%, Slot 27.8%, remaining 7.3% at WR

Edwards 259 snaps - 153 on the boundary, 103 Slot, 3 backfield

Agholor 731 snaps - 315 outside WR, 396 Slot, 18 TE, 2 backfield

At the X WR position.

My recollection is that Gruden has a history of absolutely feeding the X.  I don't recall the source but it was a staggering amount IIRC.

My recollection is that Gruden has a history of absolutely feeding the X.  I don't recall the source but it was a staggering amount IIRC.
Thats interesting. I would like to hear more about that.

When I say traditionally I mean most WCO offenses, but perhaps Grudens is different.

Thats interesting. I would like to hear more about that.

When I say traditionally I mean most WCO offenses, but perhaps Grudens is different.
I googled around and found a few sources that show he targets his "top" WR a ton, but it's not necessarily the X.  I'm likely just mis-remembering that part.

I'd be willing to deal him for 2 firsts and a Deshaun Watson massage treatment from one of my leaguemates.  I don't seem to have any takers. 

woodstock said:
This off-season, I traded him for what was essentially a future two. 
This offseason I traded Julio for Edwards and a 3rd. Now context is I am in total rebuild and I tried trading Julio for a 2nd for a year and nobody would bite. 

I've been looking for some news (and looked at the box scores)... any reason why he hasn't had a reception in the preseason?

Users who are viewing this thread