Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
James Daulton

Government Response To The Coronavirus

18 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

I just think this whole thing is silly.  Are we really worried about some social justice noise now?

There are Asian-Americans in this country who are going through the same tough time you and I are but with the added bonus of getting discriminated against because they are or look of Asian descent. I think it takes a bit of a jerk to put his foot down and still insist it should be called Chinese Flu or anything other than it's actual names of Coronavirus/Covid 19. 

• Like 3

Cali on lockdown now by Governors order through 4/19.  Wow.  

Expect the entire country to follow soon likely tomorrow (I’ve heard this from two credible “sources”).   

• Like 1

Just now, dkp993 said:

Expect the entire country to follow soon likely tomorrow (I’ve heard this from two credible “sources”).   

Entire country does not make sense. 

North-east corridor- sure.  But rural America feels like overkill - beyond existing restrictions in place. 

2 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

What does that mean?

• Like 1

Just now, Apple Jack said:

What does that mean?

Which part?

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

Entire country does not make sense. 

North-east corridor- sure.  But rural America feels like overkill - beyond existing restrictions in place. 

Sure.  Don’t disagree and am not making a commentary on it just passing along what I’ve heard.  

1 minute ago, Apple Jack said:

What does that mean?

I would assume you can't leave your house except for grocery/pharmacy during certain hours unless you are a vital worker. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Apple Jack said:

Lockdown.

Stay at home order.  All nonessential businesses closed. Only supposed to go out for food or medical services (or neighborhood walks). 

10 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Good. Know people here in Texas that as of today were still obligated to go to the office. Would be welcome for many to be able to stay home and avoid risk to their families.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

There are Asian-Americans in this country who are going through the same tough time you and I are but with the added bonus of getting discriminated against because they are or look of Asian descent. I think it takes a bit of a jerk to put his foot down and still insist it should be called Chinese Flu or anything other than it's actual names of Coronavirus/Covid 19. 

I do not believe for one instant they are being discriminated against.  This is just another bunch of made-up bologna as far as I'm concerned.

Also, Trump himself said it's to combat the Chinese disinformation campaign and trying to lay it at the feet of the US military.  This thing started in China and the Chinese government is pushing forth propaganda that the United States brought it there.

This whole idea that it's racist to call the Chinese flu is exactly what they want you to believe because they know that in the US all someone has to do is blow the racism dog whistle and everyone just believes it.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Stay at home order.  All nonessential businesses closed. Only supposed to go out for food or medical services (or neighborhood walks). 

And I assume bike rides, too. What about driving to a family member's house.

14 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Please at least vouch for/explain the sources...

9 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

And I assume bike rides, too. What about driving to a family member's house.

They don’t have the ability to enforce it ala martial law so that will be happening for sure.  But bottom line is the state wants you at home for the next month unless absolutely Necessary

1 minute ago, mr roboto said:

Countrywide lockdown. 

Oops, missed that. I hope it's not coming, but kinda feels inevitable. Great work Trump voters!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

Please at least vouch for/explain the sources...

A close friends father works for the CIA (in the Pentagon).  Another friend’s brother is in the FBI.  Both said to expect a government shut down announcement tomorrow and told both friends to stock up because tomorrow will be chaotic. The father said it will be like California’s non-essential businesses shut as well, the FBI friend was less specific.  

I’m not stating that this is unequivocably going to happen just pointing out what I’ve heard from what seem like reliable sources.  🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

Countrywide lockdown. 

No sources on this yet just a lot of internet gossip. I personally believe it's heading that way. Our populace, by and large, is too ignorant and self absorbed to be trusted to do it on their own. I suspect it will be mostly a state-by-state shutdown for a few days until Trump is forced to do it nationally. Expecting MN to be shut down by Monday morning. Again, this is my opinion based on stuff I've seen and heard online and at work.

My next question is what sort of essential businesses will still be open?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Oops, missed that. I hope it's not coming, but kinda feels inevitable. Great work Trump voters!

Look who's laying the bait now.  Next time, don't be so eager to point fingers at others.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

I do not believe for one instant they are being discriminated against.  This is just another bunch of made-up bologna as far as I'm concerned.

Also, Trump himself said it's to combat the Chinese disinformation campaign and trying to lay it at the feet of the US military.  This thing started in China and the Chinese government is pushing forth propaganda that the United States brought it there.

This whole idea that it's racist to call the Chinese flu is exactly what they want you to believe because they know that in the US all someone has to do is blow the racism dog whistle and everyone just believes it.

I will just say my personal experience. Several of my 10th grade students called it the Chinese Flu, Asian Flu, Kung Flu, etc. They asked me if we should let Asians in the country, if we should kick out all the Asians (I say Asian as a catchall but sometimes they said Chinese, sometimes Japanese, sometimes Asian). I said restricting entrance to the US from countries with the flu is probably a good idea. However, I wouldn't kick people out- especially if they were living or working here. One of them said Asian people were basically slaves for white people anyway so they should go where we tell them. Some agreed to that statement and some didn't but then general feeling was Asian people are gross and don't belong here. Part of my family is Japanese and part of my wife's family is Chinese so this kind of thing isn't surprising. My grandfather disowned my aunt because she married a Japanese man.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I will just say my personal experience. Several of my 10th grade students called it the Chinese Flu, Asian Flu, Kung Flu, etc. They asked me if we should let Asians in the country, if we should kick out all the Asians (I say Asian as a catchall but sometimes they said Chinese, sometimes Japanese, sometimes Asian). I said restricting entrance to the US from countries with the flu is probably a good idea. However, I wouldn't kick people out- especially if they were living or working here. One of them said Asian people were basically slaves for white people anyway so they should go where we tell them. Some agreed to that statement and some didn't but then general feeling was Asian people are gross and don't belong here. Part of my family is Japanese and part of my wife's family is Chinese so this kind of thing isn't surprising. My grandfather disowned my aunt because she married a Japanese man.  

I'm not going to disagree with your personal experience. 

However, those are 10th graders. Still kids.  I just don't believe Chinese people are being discriminated against in this country. 

Just now, BladeRunner said:

I'm not going to disagree with your personal experience. 

However, those are 10th graders. Still kids.  I just don't believe Chinese people are being discriminated against in this country. 

Where do you think 10th graders get their ideas from?

So people won't be able to go to the grocery stores and go shopping? For food? There's just simply no way that's going to happen.

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Where do you think 10th graders get their ideas from?

People grow up. People learn. I remember doing a lot of dumb s*** as a kid too.

1 minute ago, BladeRunner said:

People grow up. People learn. I remember doing a lot of dumb s*** as a kid too.

I also did a lot of dumb #### as a kid. Some of it included being prejudice against people because my mom was. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ilov80s said:

I also did a lot of dumb #### as a kid. Some of it included being prejudice against people because my mom was. 

And how did you turn out? Did you learn anything? Or are you still racist / prejudice?

13 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

So people won't be able to go to the grocery stores and go shopping? For food? There's just simply no way that's going to happen.

Grocery stores, gas stations, banks, pharmacies will all most likely stay open.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mile High said:

Grocery stores, gas stations, banks, pharmacies will all most likely stay open.

I certainly hope so.

Just now, BladeRunner said:

And how did you turn out? Did you learn anything? Or are you still racist / prejudice?

I did learn something. My mom did but it took 50 years but I think she got there. If you think the words that media, leaders, celebrities use doesn't influence people than we will just have to disagree. I shared my personal stories on this but I see you know better. Again, this is far far far from the big issue right now. However, it's a simple thing people can do so as to not be jerks. That is all. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I did learn something. My mom did but it took 50 years but I think she got there. If you think the words that media, leaders, celebrities use doesn't influence people than we will just have to disagree. I shared my personal stories on this but I see you know better. Again, this is far far far from the big issue right now. However, it's a simple thing people can do so as to not be jerks. That is all. 

I wasn't trying to be a jerk.  And I certainly Don't know any better than the next guy, I'm just not so quick to jump on the racism bait.

Thank you for the excellent conversations!

Edited by BladeRunner

1 minute ago, BladeRunner said:

I wasn't trying to be a jerk.  And I certainly Don't know any better than the next guy, I'm just not so quick to jump on the racism bait.

Thank you for the excellent conversations!

I am not calling you a jerk. I just think it is a simple compassionate thing we can do to call the virus by it's name. I am sure there is plenty of issue to take with China about their honesty once we get through this. I also appreciate the conversation, stay safe out there!

19 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

That’s not what would happen.  That’s considered essential.  Same with anything medical

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Good god, dude where do you live?

Saint Angst @MaziDC

Is it possible to turn cruise ships into makeshift hospitals? They’re not being used I’d assume

ShawtyLikesMyStocktonShorts @lyleleander

Trump made the perfect call to the cruise companies, believe me. The perfect call. We're gonna have so many perfect cruise ships in NYC. So many people are saying it... they're saying 'Sir, the cruise ships are going to be so perfect, sir.'

Playing down the threat makes more sense if you and your friends are trying to sell stock in a window.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Just want to say good luck to you all down there.  I’m hoping for the best as the waters are about to get much rougher in the next fortnight.  

• Thanks 1

Colossal failure of federal (mostly executive) leadership.  The worst case scenario happened for electing a dishonest and incompetent President.  

Damn.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I am not calling you a jerk. I just think it is a simple compassionate thing we can do to call the virus by it's name. I am sure there is plenty of issue to take with China about their honesty once we get through this. I also appreciate the conversation, stay safe out there!

Of the different things to get aroused about, calling it the China flu/virus isn't one for me. Unless Trump uses it as a device to deflect from the lack of action and preparedness our government and he in particular had before it hit us.

Edited by Moonlight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlight said:

Of the different things to get aroused about, calling it the China flu/virus isn't one for me. Unless Trump uses it as a device to deflect from the lack of action and preparedness our government and he in particular had before it hit us.

I believe it’s pronounced CHI-na.

8 hours ago, Dr Steven Brule said:

The world (this thread) would be a lot cooler if everyone quit quoting Blade Runner.  

"Like tears .....   in Rain"

13 hours ago, whoknew said:

After assuring the public about the government's coronavirus preparedness, Senate Intel chair Richard Burr, in one day, sold off up to $1.6 million is stock. A week later, the market began its fall. His committee was receiving daily briefings.

Link

Ouch....and he's up for reelection, no?

13 hours ago, jonessed said:

This #### should be made illegal, but they all do it.  It’s impossible to get the legislation passed. It’s bipartisan corruption.

Genuine Question:  Is there some exemption to our insider trading laws that make this ok for politicians?  If not, then it is already illegal.

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

Genuine Question:  Is there some exemption to our insider trading laws that make this ok for politicians?  If not, then it is already illegal.

Normal insider training laws don’t apply to politicians.  They have a different set of laws.

4 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Ouch....and he's up for reelection, no?

His term is over in 2022. In 2016, he said he wouldn't run again. 

9 hours ago, Dr Steven Brule said:

The world (this thread) would be a lot cooler if everyone quit quoting Blade Runner.  

"Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch"

10 minutes ago, jonessed said:

Normal insider training laws don’t apply to politicians.  They have a different set of laws.

Of course they do :wall:

I really didn't know that...unreal.