Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
James Daulton

Government Response To The Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

We don't have a good clue on actual infections. Known infections is a stat which mostly reflects the amount of testing being done which is not all that meaningful. 

Many places don't have a good clue.  Point there being, the number of known infections is lower than total infections meaning that stat is likely even worse for the US and the trajectory.

You know - she has a point:

Hillary Clinton@HillaryClinton

Please do not take medical advice from a man who looked directly at a solar eclipse.

• Love 1
  • Laughing 7
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, jonessed said:

You didn’t say “thread”, you said “board”.

Yes...this board...the PSF.  And the example of replies to Koya was the one poster who gave no real specifics...you have only strengthened my point.

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 5m5 minutes ago

Will be doing a Town Hall on @FoxNews at 12:05 P.M. (Now). I will go on around 1:00 P.M. Enjoy!

12 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

Which actions, specifically?  Please provide a list.  TIA

Jan. 7: The CDC established a coronavirus incident management system to better share and respond to information about the virus.

• Jan. 17: The CDC began implementing public health entry screening at the three U.S. airports that received the most travelers from Wuhan — San Francisco, New York JFK, and Los Angeles.

• Jan. 20: Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Health’s infectious disease institute, announced efforts to develop a vaccine.

• Jan. 21: The CDC activated its emergency operations center to provide support to the coronavirus response.

• Jan. 31: Mr. Trump declared a public health emergency, announced Chinese travel restrictions, and suspended entry into the U.S. for foreign nationals at risk of transmitting the virus.

• Feb. 4: Mr. Trump vowed in his State of the Union address to “take all necessary steps” to protect Americans from the coronavirus.

• Feb. 11: The Department of Health and Human Services expanded a partnership with Janssen Research & Development to “expedite the development” of a coronavirus vaccine.

• Feb. 24: The administration sent a letter to Congress requesting at least $2.5 billion to help combat the spread of the coronavirus.

• Feb. 29: The administration announced a level 4 travel advisory to areas of Italy and South Korea, barred all travel to Iran, and barred the entry of foreign citizens who visited Iran in the last 14 days.

• March 3: The CDC lifted federal restrictions on coronavirus testing to allow any American to be tested “subject to doctor’s orders.”

• March 13: Mr. Trump announced public-private partnerships to open drive-through testing sites, a pause on interest payments on federal student loans, and an order to the Department of Energy to purchase oil for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

• March 18: Mr. Trump announced a temporary closure of the U.S.-Canada border to non-essential traffic and plans to invoke the Defense Production Act to increase the number of necessary supplies needed to combat coronavirus.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Yes...this board...the PSF.  And the example of replies to Koya was the one poster who gave no real specifics...you have only strengthened my point.

Well, you just said “this thread”, now it’s “this board”.  I guess that’s progress.

Edited by jonessed

1 hour ago, RnR said:

If you have to go back two weeks to find one thing you can say positive about this after hours of daily correspondence with America on the matter, I think you're kind of proving my point.

And it was for like three minutes.

• Feb. 4: Mr. Trump vowed in his State of the Union address to “take all necessary steps” to protect Americans from the coronavirus.

:lmao:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

You know - she has a point:

Hillary Clinton@HillaryClinton

Please do not take medical advice from a man who looked directly at a solar eclipse.

I wish this was satire.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, hammerva said:

well it looks like phony christian Jerry Falwell JR is ordering that Liberty University is going to be back up and running next week.  I mean if you decided to go to Liberty University you are probably all in Trump to begin with so not really surprising.   Hopefully the people around them are protected

Yes, it appears that students at Liberty University will need a valid excuse not to come to school, like being gay.

Reid Wilson‏ @PoliticsReid 2h2 hours ago

Liberty University will reopen this week, Jerry Falwell inviting students to return and ordering faculty to come back to work.

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/thousands-of-liberty-students-expected-to-return-to-campus-amid/article_a7b91be3-217a-598e-a367-34950271e6c6.html

Edited by squistion

14 minutes ago, jonessed said:

Well, you just said “this thread”, now it’s “this board”.  I guess that’s progress.

It was the intent the whole time talking about this board...which also the majority of the talk in the PSF (this board) is in this thread.

My point remains...

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

:lmao:

I believe in actions not words...oh wait..

But will credit him for coming up some some specifics.  Much of what was done by the CDC and Fauci have been great...I wouldn't credit Trump much there though other than getting out of the way.

Edited by sho nuff

1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

But will credit him for coming up some some specifics.  Much of what was done by the CDC and Fauci have been great...I wouldn't credit Trump much there though other than getting out of the way.

The best thing he can do is nothing at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

He has repeatedly ignored Fauchi and at times contradicted him while on the same stage.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Jan. 7: The CDC established a coronavirus incident management system to better share and respond to information about the virus. - An action by CDC is not a Trump action.

• Jan. 17: The CDC began implementing public health entry screening at the three U.S. airports that received the most travelers from Wuhan — San Francisco, New York JFK, and Los Angeles. - An action by CDC is not a Trump action.

• Jan. 20: Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Health’s infectious disease institute, announced efforts to develop a vaccine. - An action by Dr. Fauci is not a Trump action.

• Jan. 21: The CDC activated its emergency operations center to provide support to the coronavirus response. - An action by CDC is not a Trump action.

• Jan. 31: Mr. Trump declared a public health emergency, announced Chinese travel restrictions, and suspended entry into the U.S. for foreign nationals at risk of transmitting the virus. - Agreed, this was positive, although the scope here was much too limited. Why limited to foreign citizens? Why not forcibly quarantine US citizens returning from China or elsewhere?

• Feb. 4: Mr. Trump vowed in his State of the Union address to “take all necessary steps” to protect Americans from the coronavirus. - Words aren't actions.

• Feb. 11: The Department of Health and Human Services expanded a partnership with Janssen Research & Development to “expedite the development” of a coronavirus vaccine. - Not a Trump action.

• Feb. 24: The administration sent a letter to Congress requesting at least $2.5 billion to help combat the spread of the coronavirus. - While not negative, "Help!" isn't an action.

• Feb. 29: The administration announced a level 4 travel advisory to areas of Italy and South Korea, barred all travel to Iran, and barred the entry of foreign citizens who visited Iran in the last 14 days. - Positive, but scope too limited. Why limited to foreign citizens? Why not forcibly quarantine US citizens returning from Iran?

• March 3: The CDC lifted federal restrictions on coronavirus testing to allow any American to be tested “subject to doctor’s orders.” - Not a Trump action, and obviously, we know that tests still weren't (and still aren't) happening to the extent necessary.

• March 13: Mr. Trump announced public-private partnerships to open drive-through testing sites, a pause on interest payments on federal student loans, and an order to the Department of Energy to purchase oil for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. - And yet, this still hasn't happened for the most part.

• March 18: Mr. Trump announced a temporary closure of the U.S.-Canada border to non-essential traffic and plans to invoke the Defense Production Act to increase the number of necessary supplies needed to combat coronavirus. - "Plans to" isn't an action.

Please see bolded above.

What else ya got?  If that's really it, over 2+ months, I find it hard to say his actions have been great, especially when compared to his inactions and attempts to downplay the severity of this.

Edited by Rich Conway
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

He has repeatedly ignored Fauchi and at times contradicted him while on the same stage.

He contradicted the pharma CEOs when they were telling him a vaccine was at least a year away. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Scott Gottlieb  @ScottGottliebMD 14h14 hours ago

THREAD: There’s a strong and understandable desire to return to better times and a functioning economy. But it should not be lost on anyone that there's no such thing as a functioning economy and society so long as covid-19 continues to spread uncontrolled in our biggest cities.

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1242282560106958854

Liz Cheney‏Verified account @Liz_Cheney 2h2 hours ago

Liz Cheney Retweeted Scott Gottlieb, MD

There will be no normally functioning economy if our hospitals are overwhelmed and thousands of Americans of all ages, including our doctors and nurses, lay dying because we have failed to do what’s necessary to stop the virus.

https://twitter.com/Liz_Cheney/status/1242458832183361543

Liz Cheny gets it.  :yes:

Edited by squistion
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RnR said:

If you have to go back two weeks to find one thing you can say positive about this after hours of daily correspondence with America on the matter, I think you're kind of proving my point.

Not at all.  My point was that the few times Trump finally does get some praise from the left he quickly (almost immediately) falls back to his old shtick of patting himself on the back, making outlandish claims, and blaming others.  It is a perpetual cycle with this guy...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

Please see bolded above.

What else ya got?  If that's really it, over 2+ months, I find it hard to say his actions have been great, especially when compared to his inactions and attempts to downplay the severity of this.

:shrug:

The CDC ultimately reports up to Trump.  If he’s going to get bashed for mistakes he should get credit for positives as well.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Jan. 7: The CDC established a coronavirus incident management system to better share and respond to information about the virus.

All the way back to Jan 7, yet Trump complains about not knowing soon enough.

At what point did he pull our epidemiologist out of China?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listen to all these people who suddenly have found their pretend bravery and courage with #### like "I am willing to die to protect my freedom".  Here is the thing.  I am not willing to die to protect YOUR FREEDOM.  This isn't Vietnam or Germany in WWII or the Middle East. 

5 minutes ago, jonessed said:

The CDC ultimately reports up to Trump.  If he’s going to get bashed for mistakes he should get credit for positives as well.

While I would agree... he literally said he did not know what was going on at the CDC and told people to ask someone else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Tweet is unavailable.

Looks like he deleted it. I'll look around for another.

Andrew Cuomo‏ @NYGovCuomo 1h1 hour ago

My mother is not expendable. Your mother is not expendable.

We will not put a dollar figure on human life.

We can have a public health strategy that is consistent with an economic one.

No one should be talking about social darwinism for the sake of the stock market.

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1242477029083295746

• Like 1
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

No one should be talking about social darwinism for the sake of the stock market.

👍🏼

Pro-life my ###.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, jonessed said:

His mistakes...yes, he gets bashed for those.

A lot of things ultimate report to Trump...that does not make their action, his actions...which was the point of the discussion.  If he had directed the CDC to do those things...yes, he gets credit  IF, as part of their normal jobs they did that (because I don't believe they need authorization from the Executive Branch to do much of what was discussed) then why is that a positive for "Trump" or counted in a  Trump action?  The same can be said for previous administrations as well.

1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

His mistakes...yes, he gets bashed for those.

A lot of things ultimate report to Trump...that does not make their action, his actions...which was the point of the discussion.  If he had directed the CDC to do those things...yes, he gets credit  IF, as part of their normal jobs they did that (because I don't believe they need authorization from the Executive Branch to do much of what was discussed) then why is that a positive for "Trump" or counted in a  Trump action?  The same can be said for previous administrations as well.

I doubt he had anything to do with not accepting the WHO tests, but he rightfully took some blame.  It’s his administration that’s in charge.  He should also get credit for the positives though.  That’s kind of how it goes for every administration.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, squistion said:

We put dollars on human lives every minute of every day.  This is just political claptrap.

The strength of our economy is why we can put out a $2 trillion stimulus bill to help get through this.  Take that away and more people die.  It’s all a delicate balance.

Edited by jonessed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jonessed said:

I doubt he had anything to do with not accepting the WHO tests, but he rightfully took some blame.  It’s his administration that’s in charge.  He should also get credit for the positives though.  That’s kind of how it goes for every administration.

Sure as an administration...the conversation though was asking specifics about Trump's words vs. Trump's actions.

CDC is not a "Trump action".

Meanwhile at the Fox virtual town hall that Trump is participating in (that I can't bring myself to watch)

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1242497671266537472

Trump is talking about the number of flu deaths. "We don't turn the country off" because of that, he says. He then invokes car accidents; he says we didn't tell car companies "stop making cars."

:mellow:

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Tweet is unavailable.

Found it in quote form:

“My mother is not expendable, your mother is not expendable and our brothers and sisters are not expendable, and we’re not going to accept the premise that human life is disposable, and we’re not going to put a dollar figure on human life. The first order of business is to save lives, period. Whatever it costs,” Cuomo said. 

“You can have an economic startup strategy consistent with the public health strategy. It's smart, it’s complicated, it’s sophisticated, but that's what government is supposed to do … you can do both but not in a clumsy ham-handed way,” he added.

ETA: The portion of the quote that they "..." out was him saying people who have tested out of having the virus should be able to go back to work, young people should be able to go back to work, etc.

Edited by RnR
  • Like 1

Trump has done so much, but on March 24th some parts of the country is shut down while a part is running around acting like no big deal. Also on March 24 we still don't have adequate testing.

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

Meanwhile at the Fox virtual town hall that Trump is participating in (that I can't bring myself to watch)

Trump is talking about the number of flu deaths. "We don't turn the country off" because of that, he says. He then invokes car accidents; he says we didn't tell car companies "stop making cars."

He fundamentally is incapable of understanding why these analogies are stupid and insane. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, squistion said:

sleathycat

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

Oh my god this is worse than the "why don't we care about heart disease more" argument.   If we know what is causing a car accident then yes we would actually stop or prevent it.  Like a recall or arresting people for drunk driving

So which jock sniffer at Fox News got the host job 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jonessed said:

We put dollars on human lives every minute of every day.  This is just political claptrap.

The strength of our economy is why we can put out a $2 trillion stimulus bill to help get through this.  Take that away and more people die.  It’s all a delicate balance.

Economy = Natural Resources + Labor

So long as we have both, we can always jump start the economy.

We can't jump start Grandma.

Great. Now we're going to have the Fox News viewership breaking quarantine and running around reinfecting the rest of us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, squistion said:

There are vaccines for the flu, and regulations for vehicles. He has made another illogical leap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

We can't jump start Grandma.

Pet cemetary?   🧟‍♀️

• Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, cobalt_27 said:

He fundamentally is incapable of understanding why these analogies are stupid and insane. 

He doesn't care.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1242499524574228484

Trump says people can go to work and clean their hands five times more than usual, and not shake hands, "and things will happen," but this situation can't go on. "You're going to have suicides by the thousands."

Suicides by the thousands?  A bit over the top,  no?

Just now, Endowed said:

Pet cemetary?   🧟‍♀️

Young Frankenstein, actually.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, JbizzleMan said:

Great. Now we're going to have the Fox News viewership breaking quarantine and running around reinfecting the rest of us.

My idea of the country getting a divorce, going our separate ways and divided the country up sounds better and better everyday

Edited by Mile High
  • Like 1

Just now, squistion said:

Trump says people can go to work and clean their hands five times more than usual, and not shake hands, "and things will happen," but this situation can't go on. "You're going to have suicides by the thousands."

Wtf is with this insane mental gymnastics?

jfc

2 minutes ago, JbizzleMan said:

Great. Now we're going to have the Fox News viewership breaking quarantine and running around reinfecting the rest of 

of course....this is the new propaganda ploy....morons

1 minute ago, squistion said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume Dr. Fauci isn't part of this town hall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Mile High said:

My idea of the country getting a divorce, going our separate ways and divided the country up sounds better and better everyday

Maybe to you but odds are I'll end up with dad.