What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don Moynihan @donmoyn · 3h

Part of my research is about the ways in which political ideology shapes how people process data.

This, where Coulter presents data that show the exact opposite of what she claims, is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

(responding to a tweet from Coulter where she claims covid is less dangerous then the flu for people under 60 - and where she attaches a chart showing that covid is much more dangerous than the flu for people under 60)

But - this messaging from the right is incredibly dangerous, and is why we see so many people failing to heed warnings from doctors.

My worry is that we're just too interconnected for it not to continue to spread outside of the hotspots unless we like, wall them off (and even then, people are going to get out). Italy tried just isolating the "hotspot" in the north and it really didn't work. I'm just skeptical that it'll work a lot better for us given how many more people we'd need to test to make it effective.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.
Yeah. Fauci and Birx seemed to indicate we'll have a ton of data flow in between now and then thanks to increased testing capabilities... we may be looking at all of this completely differently in the next 7-10 days (for better or worse)

President Trump match’s highest Gallup poll in his Presidency and has a 60% approval on Coronavirus handling. Not sure I believe these numbers, they should be much higher imo with the whale of the job President Trump has done. 

President Trump’s job approval rating has jumped by 5 points in the latest Gallup survey, matching the high point of his presidency, as a majority of voters say they have a positive view of how the president has handled the coronavirus pandemic.

The new poll finds Trump’s job approval rating at 49 percent, up from 44 percent in the same survey earlier this month. The 49 percent job approval rating is the high mark for Trump since he came into office. He first hit that mark in late January, shortly before he was acquitted by the Senate in his impeachment trial.

It appears that Trump’s handling of the coronavirus response is behind the approval rating bump. Sixty percent of voters overall said they approve
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/489285-gallup-trump-job-approval-rating-matches-all-time-high

Let’s hope not.

I thought the President did well today. Hoping Birx and Fauci keep coming to the press conferences.
I thought he did well too, especially after yesterday. 

The Easter stuff is just talk. But I’m still not buying the refusal to use the Defense Production Act. That makes no sense to me. I don’t believe it wouldn’t make a difference. Also why not just release more ventilators to New York? No good answer on this stuff. 

I'm afraid it's a pipe dream for places like NYC, but if the majority of the country will take it seriously through that date I think it may actually be very realistic for many areas.
We know this week is going to be bad here in the five boroughs. The hope is we’ll see new cases stop increasing in 7-10 days. It’s looking bleak atm but we’ll get through this together.

We have two pastors in my church who have tested positive for Covid-19 and nine days ago they were around 200 people at an online taping. We almost surely have more cases but thankfully our demographic is young. Both our guys have been getting their butts kicked but seems like neither will be hospitalized.

Praying for our city.

• Sad
Reactions: RnR
We know this week is going to be bad here in the five boroughs. The hope is we’ll see new cases stop increasing in 7-10 days. It’s looking bleak atm but we’ll get through this together.

We have two pastors in my church who have tested positive for Covid-19 and nine days ago they were around 200 people at an online taping. We almost surely have more cases but thankfully our demographic is young. Both our guys have been getting their butts kicked but seems like neither will be hospitalized.

Praying for our city.
Hang in there, man. 🙏

Hang in there, man. 🙏
Thanks, I’m good. Doing my part and not leaving the block. Keeping connected through Zoom.

Cuomo is crushing it everyday. Did his presser today from the new field hospital the National Guard (Army?) setup at the Jacob Javits Convention Center. The Mayor is not as stellar but Albany has a lot of control over NYC so NBD.

We are going to get through this. Together.

It's pretty obvious he has no business going there.  This is one of those, "it takes what it's going to take" deals....pointless to attempt and even put a date on this thing when we STILL don't know the extent of the problem.  It's mind boggling.  
I think you severely underestimate the amount of people in areas that aren't severely impacted at the moment who will say "screw it, I'm going back to work" if you give them the invisible monster routine without some sort of timeline for your action plan. He can always push it back again when the time gets closer. People need something to strive for... a carrot at the end of the string.
This is true whether a date is set or not...those people do exist.  If one, today, still buys the "invisible monster" stuff, dates are meaningless to them and have been for a while.  :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Based off what exactly?
Yeah, that’s not true. Well, at least not here. The NYC curve is steeper than China, Italy or ROK ever was.

But I never see USA curves. It’s usually broken out by state since every area is on a different curve.

Nate Silver
@NateSilver538
A week ago, New York state had 87 detected coronavirus cases per 1m citizens

Here's where a lot of Southern states are *today*... the number of *detected* cases.

LA: 298 per 1m
MS: 107 per 1m
TN: 98 per 1m
GA: 98 per 1m
AR: 72 per 1m
FL: 66 per 1m
SC: 59 per 1m
AL: 44 per 1m

It's true... Trump is seeing a bump in his polling and is at his best numbers since shortly after inauguration. 

IMO the most likely explanation is that it's a small "rally 'round the flag" type thing as the extent of the crisis hits home.  Normally you'd see Presidents with massive approval ratings during this kind of event (think Bush after 9/11, LBJ when Kennedy was killed, Truman when FDR died, Ford when Nixon resigned), so it's unusual that hasn't happened here.  Those guys were all like +60 to +80 and he's still underwater at -6.

Also IMO, how he actually handles the crisis will matter more in the longer run, but either way he's definitely seeing his best approval ratings in quite awhile right now.

Part of my research is about the ways in which political ideology shapes how people process data.

This, where Coulter presents data that show the exact opposite of what she claims, is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

(responding to a tweet from Coulter where she claims covid is less dangerous then the flu for people under 60 - and where she attaches a chart showing that covid is much more dangerous than the flu for people under 60)

But - this messaging from the right is incredibly dangerous, and is why we see so many people failing to heed warnings from doctors.
https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1242484117373100037

Let’s hope not.

I thought the President did well today. Hoping Birx and Fauci keep coming to the press conferences.
Brief remarks, few questions, not the severity of word salad from the past few of these.  So, yeah, I agree he did well today.  Maybe someone will tell him "Deborah" is "Dr. Birx."

Based on statistics reported by Galbraith in The Great Crash 1929, the suicide rate in the United States increased from 17.0 per 100,000 people in 1929 to 21.3 in 1932 during the worst of the financial calamity.

I'll let those of you who like to do math on potential deaths from Covid-19 extrapolate those rates for our 2020 population under depression-like conditions that would result from a long-term economic shutdown.

I think you'll find that "thousands" is not an exaggeration of the worst-cast scenario.
Most people born after 1950 have not experienced really hard times like some of our parents or grand parents.  Sure some of us have had it tough at some point or another but I would venture to say most of us climbed our way out. If we let this completely shut us down our economy will tank and it could lead to a depression. We do have safe guards in place S.S. for one but thats only for old folks like me. I think people would panic. In 1929 based on stats there were 26,629 deaths by suicide if you used the same capita per 100,000 now as 1929 the suicide toll would be 69,510 that is scary. Not to mention the misery everyone would go through. So yea I agree we can't just shut down.

This happens a fair amount - snappy, condemning subject line linking to detail showing something else.

Maybe a little more self awareness, especially when you want to trash the President for not holding a press briefing when we are literally watching a live press briefing. 
I think the question now is why did they kill all that time on Fox? These people have things to do in a live emergency.

You mean these?

Forgive me, but this feels like Ann Coulter 2.0 if you're reading positive indicators from any of these graphs, let alone specific interpretation that we're faring better than our European counterparts.
You mean you think deaths doubling every three days is worse than deaths doubling every two days?  Ok. Whatever dude.   It is not that everything is great, but we are in slightly better shape in a similar phase as they are.  Everybody here casts all kinds of unsubstainsted claims of the harm Trump did, but the numbers do not bear out that US is doing worse than other western countries.  

You mean you think deaths doubling every three days is worse than deaths doubling every two days?  Ok. Whatever dude.   It is not that everything is great, but we are in slightly better shape in a similar phase as they are.  Everybody here casts all kinds of unsubstainsted claims of the harm Trump did, but the numbers do not bear out that US is doing worse than other western countries.  
You're misreading, misinterpreting, or misrepresenting the death graph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread