What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there is the real life example of New York hospitals having to attach one ventilator to 2 people because they’ve run out. That would seem to be evidence to me that the modeling was accurate. 
Cuomo did his daily news conference today and said he has ventilators in reserve that he hasn't needed to used yet.    

Dangerous thinking on display in here when clearly knowledge posters being asked to “prove it” to the uninformed. That’s a main cause of the problem of ignorance that we’re facing in the country and why so many just feel like they can go on without doing their part. Which is simply to stay at home. Unreal.

So them testing 2 ventilators for 1 person is enough to prove the original forecast correct?
It suggests that we’re going to run out of ventilators. Which suggests that without flattening the curve hospitals will be overwhelmed. So I would say yeah it does. 

You think they’re testing it just for the hell of it? 
Cuomo said they are paying $45K for ventilators and "he doesn't want to pay that".  So if you project you need 30,000 ventilators but you can use one ventilator for 2 people, then it changes the projections on the total amount of ventilators you need from 30,000 to 15,000 and it also changes the costs.   

EDIT: I'm not a ventilator expert so I don't know the difference between a 1 person ventilator and a 2 person ventilator.  Apparently they used them in military field hospitals.  I suspect it would be more like a last resort move than a plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cuomo said they are paying $45K for ventilators and "he doesn't want to pay that".  So if you project you need 30,000 ventilators but you can use one ventilator for 2 people, then it changes the projections on the total amount of ventilators you need from 30,000 to 15,000 and it also changes the costs.   
That’s fine. It doesn’t really have bearing on my point though. Which is that we can’t afford to stop sheltering in place at the current time. 

That’s fine. It doesn’t really have bearing on my point though. Which is that we can’t afford to stop sheltering in place at the current time. 
Don't disagree.  There isn't really a valid reason to throw caution to the wind and go back to normal life.  Just shelter in place for another 6-8 weeks.  Think we'll be better prepared in the Fall for the second wave.

Another thing I would do if I were President right now: I would call a meeting of banks and urge them to adopt a national 2 month moratorium on all mortgages. Then I would publicly urge all landlords to have a 2 month moratorium on all rental payments. Then I would ask the utility companies to do the same. Basically I would call on the nation to suspend all regular monthly payments for 60 days. This is essentially what FDR did at the start of his Presidency when the Great Depression was at its worst and we were facing complete collapse of the economy. 
It is really the Federal government that holds most of the mortgages in this country...

The charts...

Good news is infections are turning towards doubling every 3 days instead of two...bad news is deaths have pushed to the left consistently over the last several days close to crossing the line (and the slope there definitely not looking great).

This isn’t a one day trend....its been ongoing.

EDIT: I'm not a ventilator expert so I don't know the difference between a 1 person ventilator and a 2 person ventilator.  Apparently they used them in military field hospitals.  I suspect it would be more like a last resort move than a plan.
I'm pretty sure splitting the ventilators is a last resort option that is very risky.   i'm no expert either but from what I hear ventilators are calibrated to each person based on how much oxygen they need.  When you split them you can't do that.  Nobody's going to do it just to save money.

cloppbeast said:
Years and years of research is different than reacting to a worse-case-scenario without following up. We've known about this virus not even 4 monthes, only using the first model somebody came up with is not science.
So you are suggesting then that we should have let this just play out and see what happens? That's pure insanity...

Does that apply with every new pandemic or only the ones you deem worthy (because the scientists are mostly siding the opposite of what you are saying)

Very proud of the job the Navy did in rushing the needed maintenance for the US Comfort.  It’s leaving port today and could be in NY by Monday.  It’s this type of effort that will help us beat this crisis.  We live in the greatest country in the world, and we have the most dedicated and hard working military personnel in the world.  We just need to thank them more!

So you are suggesting then that we should have let this just play out and see what happens? That's pure insanity...

Does that apply with every new pandemic or only the ones you deem worthy (because the scientists are mostly siding the opposite of what you are saying)
No that's not what I'm saying.

That reporter was asking if Trump could “guarantee”, it went back and forth and finally Trump got frustrated and resorted to the “cutie pie” remark.  The reporter was just trying to trap Trump, no way any reasonable person would think that Trump could “guarantee” this with the shortages that are happening across the country.  Trump was describing the steps being taken to increase the number of ventilators, but it wasn’t good enough for the reporter.
While I agree that the media are generally a bunch of clowns and will do anything to make Trump look bad (which he doesn't need any help doing), this isn't the time to be getting snarky with the media and trying to clown them.  Trump's bashing of the media appeals to a lot of people, which I get, and even I, despite not being a Trump supporter, think it's funny sometimes, since I think almost as little of the media as I do of Trump, but, again, with the crisis going on in the world right now, Trump needs to stop being petty and maybe act a little presidential for once.  It ain't gonna happen, but it sure would be a refreshing change.

My whole point is about whether hospitals will be overrun. This is a presumed scenario based on the first model anybody came up with. Legitimate scientists are thinking maybe this would not happen. Follow up research should be done; like the UK is investing in finger-##### tests which can tell how many people have already got it and have the antibodies.
If we are curious if hospitals can be overrun, all we have to do is ask the Italians.  Or, maybe, doctors in Wuhan.  The Spanish might have something to say, as do New Yorkers.

If we are curious if hospitals can be overrun, all we have to do is ask the Italians.  Or, maybe, doctors in Wuhan.  The Spanish might have something to say, as do New Yorkers.
:goodposting:

Thank you. Let's not ignore the evidence of our eyes amd ears, of scientists, epidemiologists, of actual conditions observable in order to say "It's only one study". It's like the "the science is not settled about climate change" except perhaps worse

Italy isn't a great test case for the US.  Italy only has 12.5 ICU beds per 100,000 people.  The US has 34.7 ICU beds per 100,000.  Also, the median age in Italy is 45.5.  The US is 38.1.  So Italy has an older population and lacks the same medical ICU capabilities the US has.  Italy also only had 3,000 ventilators.  The US has some 60,000-150,000 (depending on the source) with many more coming.  I don't trust the number from China, but they only have 3 ICU beds per 100,000 people so they really shouldn't be a comparison either.    

:goodposting:

Thank you. Let's not ignore the evidence of our eyes amd ears, of scientists, epidemiologists, of actual conditions observable in order to say "It's only one study". It's like the "the science is not settled about climate change" except perhaps worse
I've already pointed out we discovered this virus 4 monthes ago. And you guys think we have it all figured out already...

And there other, you know, scientists questioning the validity of the some of the assumptions we have about covid19. I've posted the links in this thread. I'm sure none of you read them because the science is already settled. Whatever though.

shader said:
I didn't really appreciate your post in the other forum.  The issue in that forum is that only positive Trump news can be posted there.  The moment someone writes anything that can be construed as negative, it's labelled as "political" and I have no doubt that a host of people report the post, which brings in the admins to tell us to bring it to the political forum.

But you can't have it both ways.  If we can't talk about negative Trump news in that forum, we shouldn't talk about positive news either.  That thread should not be a place where some alternate version of the truth about Trump is allowed to flourish because we can't speak negatively about him, especially when he's making so many terrible decisions.
Wat?

Curious how many deaths in a day it will take for the "wait and see before we overreact" people to get fully on board?

The US was at 268 deaths Thursday and 400 yesterday.  Total deaths are doubling every three days.  

So what's your number?  At what point do you abandon the idea that this is anything other than a full blown crisis that should be/should have been met by the strongest reaction the US can/could have mustered?

5,000 in a day?  20,000?  Is there *any* point where you change your thinking?
Oh there are still people expecting us to "eat crow" because it is all a liberal media overreaction. They are just that much smarter than us.

I've already pointed out we discovered this virus 4 monthes ago. And you guys think we have it all figured out already...

And there other, you know, scientists questioning the validity of the some of the assumptions we have about covid19. I've posted the links in this thread. I'm sure none of you read them because the science is already settled. Whatever though.
I'm sure that's very comforting to the 400 people who died yesterday.  They should probably suck it up because hey, its probably the flu?

cloppbeast said:
This is a government's response to corona virus thread, not a bash Trump thread.
I don't think this is a bad point.

The CDC's actions early on are worth noting, but then it was directed by someone Trump appointed (Jon made a claim about Azar really being the culprit there but I dunno), and then there's the disappearing of Messonnier from this whole thing. Where is the CDC in the press conferences? If we're speaking of the federal response unfortunately all roads to lead back to Trump.

However I'll say locally I'm thrilled with our governor's response, thank goodness it's him in charge and not his opponent. I think even people who voted against him feel that way right now, the man is ably qualified for this crisis. Having a good governor makes a big difference. Unfortunately the federalization of our system these last few decades means that the states even still are very dependent on federal coordination.

I'm sure that's very comforting to the 400 people who died yesterday.  They should probably suck it up because hey, its probably the flu?
Ok, I'll bite.... People die everyday, a lot more than 400 in fact. Maybe we could shut down the economy forever, never travel outside our villages so people would live forever. What do you say?

Btw, did you read the articles I posted?

Ok, I'll bite.... People die everyday, a lot more than 400 in fact. Maybe we could shut down the economy forever, never travel outside our villages so people would live forever. What do you say?

Btw, did you read the articles I posted?
You know people died from other stuff yesterday too?  The 400 CV deaths is on top of that.  We aren't far from a thousand americans dying from this every day - we will cross that threshold this week.  Is that a number that will get your attention?

No, i didn't read your articles.  I'm not in an article reading mood today.  Do they talk about how its likely hundreds of thousands of people have it now, and that means the CFR is lower than earlier models suggest? 

I don't think this is a bad point.

The CDC's actions early on are worth noting, but then it was directed by someone Trump appointed (Jon made a claim about Azar really being the culprit there but I dunno), and then there's the disappearing of Messonnier from this whole thing. Where is the CDC in the press conferences? If we're speaking of the federal response unfortunately all roads to lead back to Trump.

However I'll say locally I'm thrilled with our governor's response, thank goodness it's him in charge and not his opponent. I think even people who voted against him feel that way right now, the man is ably qualified for this crisis. Having a good governor makes a big difference. Unfortunately the federalization of our system these last few decades means that the states even still are very dependent on federal coordination.
I don't know, my perception is, and this may be all wrong, but I'd see the CDC as being a firewall of prevention and maybe the folks to do the post mortem for the future.   I think were are a management and hopefully response /containment phase.  

Some of the hardest parts of processing this is thinking of an agency like the WHO, who was merely parroting the Chinese party line, who was wasting time and energy on addressing potential bigotry.  The CDC, knowing they had broadened their mission to obesity, they had widened their scope to things like dealing with racism, and I haven't found if this is true but I haven't seen the report refuted, the allegation they were hosting transgender beauty pageants.  These all seem like fine missions IF all of the disease in the world is cured.  Otherwise it feels like a radical deviation from what I'd perceive their mission being and while I get they were secondary things, in all likelihood ( I do hope), but to me it demonstrates the eye was far from the prize.  Stay in your lane, keep the super bugs out of america or as managed as possible, Obesity is terrible but the CDC is making one person one pound thinner.

I'm pretty sure splitting the ventilators is a last resort option that is very risky.   i'm no expert either but from what I hear ventilators are calibrated to each person based on how much oxygen they need.  When you split them you can't do that.  Nobody's going to do it just to save money.
Yes this is correct. Ventilator settings are complex and can be difficult to manage for a single person. Two would be a nightmare. You would have increased risks of complications for sure. It would almost certainly also make it more difficult to get people off of the ventilators. 

My sincere hope is after all this more Americans start to believe in actual science. And research, and studies and statistics. There’s so many areas that we don’t make any real advancements on because a large portion of our society likes to stick their heads in the sand and protect their own short term interests. I’m hoping this is a giant red flag warning that that’s never a good idea.

Close to 20,000 new cases and 500 dead.

The curve looks like it's flattening, if it's strongly backlit, and you maybe squint a bit and kind of get dust in your eyes, I guess

:sarcasm:

Snorkelson said:
I’ll have to try this with my wife- “I didn’t lie about being at the bar, it was just misinformation. I twisted it on purpose. Now, there are also some lies I did tell tell, and you can call me out on those.”
Except if you were at the bar and said you were not it is a lie. So this makes no sense at all.

If someone says we performed more test than anyone at 320,000. Then someone says your lying because while you tested more and we agree with that fact but you didn't test more per capita than everyone so this is a lie.  Those are two different data points and does not make the first fact a lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread