What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (14 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have to watch this later 
Nothing too crazy. He was the first one of the business leaders that came up - this was a theme today - private companies being highlighted by Trump for doing good work. The Pillow guy is a big Trump guy, but his company is also doing charitable stuff apparently so good on him.

When he finished his prepped speech he then turned to Trump and said "I'm going to read something I just wrote down is that ok" I'm guessing folks don't like hearing that :lol:

Ended up being a butt kissing sesh of Trump and a lot of God saving the nation stuff. Was pretty weird.

Game over boyos....it may be Airborne.
BENGHAZI

The findings offer “limited evidence that some potential for airborne transmission exists," researchers said, though they warned that the findings do not confirm airborne spread.

“These findings indicate that disease might be spread through both direct (droplet and person-to-person) as well as indirect contact (contaminated objects and airborne transmission) and suggests airborne isolation precautions could be appropriate,” they concluded, noting that the findings also suggest that COVID-19 patients, even those who are only mildly ill, “may create aerosols of virus and contaminate surfaces that may pose a risk for transmission.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Also let CNN know that if he wanted to he could create a panic like no one else could or some such nonsense.

The back and forth between him and that Acosta guy is absurd really, is just waste of time for him to be there. 

Also let CNN know that if he wanted to he could create a panic like no one else could or some such nonsense.

The back and forth between him and that Acosta guy is absurd really, is just waste of time for him to be there. 
I dunno, I think it’s important to regularly remind people he is temperamentally unfit for the office.

Nothing too crazy. He was the first one of the business leaders that came up - this was a theme today - private companies being highlighted by Trump for doing good work. The Pillow guy is a big Trump guy, but his company is also doing charitable stuff apparently so good on him.

When he finished his prepped speech he then turned to Trump and said "I'm going to read something I just wrote down is that ok" I'm guessing folks don't like hearing that :lol:

Ended up being a butt kissing sesh of Trump and a lot of God saving the nation stuff. Was pretty weird.
I'm old enough to remember when letting donors sleep in the WH was a problem.

Michigan schools closing for the year. All kids will move up a grade and seniors will graduate.
How will this work next year?  Kids may advance but how can you take the next math, for example, which builds on last year?

(these are the questions in my head as I try to  keep my kids from falling so far behind)

TBH I’m more worried about my kids mental health than anything else rn.
Exactly, schools not that important right now. Make sure your kids are reading regularly and practicing basic math, they all be fine academically. This is much bigger than algebra.

Sounds like we may still be sending home optional work but not resolved yet if we are actually even submitting grades.
So, we spent the last 2 weeks doing "busy" work - not for grades.  (AP World History was an exception where they have been doing graded assignments)

This week is Spring Break - but beginning April 6, they will get assignments and tests for grades.  In theory its for 2 weeks, but in reality, its likely to be the rest of the school year.

It’s what it is.
Oh i get it...so many considerations just always curious how other places are doing things.  Listened in a little on our districts virtual town hall...my wife took extensive notes.

Definitely no playbook for how to navigate this.

Oh i get it...so many considerations just always curious how other places are doing things.  Listened in a little on our districts virtual town hall...my wife took extensive notes.

Definitely no playbook for how to navigate this.
I think we our teachers will continue posting links to lectures or videos explaining the concepts along with practice assignments. It’s just that none of it is mandatory or being graded.

I think we our teachers will continue posting links to lectures or videos explaining the concepts along with practice assignments. It’s just that none of it is mandatory or being graded.
Yeah...thats why we are staying on top of them to make sure they don't fall behind and are prepared whenever things start up again.

In terms of government response, let’s talk about something positive for once: 

This ship, the  Comfort, is simply an amazing piece of human invention and technology. 1,000 hospital beds, operating rooms, nursing rooms, radiology, completely self-sufficient, 1,200 superb doctors and nurses and crew. It will be used in New York to treat NON coronavirus patients only so as to alleviate the burden. Amazing and phenomenal.
What a great piece of our military here.

The President should be held accountable for what he says and does but at this point, half the country does and the other half never will. That’s not going to change and there’s no point on keep trying.

Ask questions of the experts or something about specifics that he mentioned during the press conference. Like when he mentioned that we sent supplies to Italy. They clearly need it but it would be nice to know if he sent supplies that our hospitals are currently struggling to find.

I think the lack of socialization is an issue.  Both of our daughters have done some Zoom sessions with their classmates and teachers, but its not exactly the same.
Yeah, the absence of human connection is an issue for all of us. But especially when you’re in your formative years, and validation from your friends means the world to you.

Coronavirus lies are going viral. It’s essential we all fight back

Blocking "misinformative" comments or posts is a very dangerous big brother idea. I hope most people don't agree with this kind of stuff.
It sounds like they are creating a Snopes type website rather than blocking speech.  It seems like it would be a valuable tool.

"On March 30, we are launching Infotagion: a free to use, online, independent, fact checking service for coronavirus. Much of the disinformation that exists can be found in private channels like WhatsApp and closed Facebook groups, to which very many people have access but not everyone can see. So, we are asking people to screenshot what appears on those channels that doesn’t look right and send it to us. We will check the facts against independent, trusted and official sources, like public health services and the WHO. If the key claims made within the messages we see are false or can’t be proven, we will warn people not to share them, using a traffic light system. Coronavirus is too important to take risks with unreliable information, and the people who are spreading news about it should be able to back up what they say."

Look dude, we can debate the authors findings. But your gate-keeping wasn't necrssary. I posted a letter from a scientist or doctor or whatever, then added a link to a study he referenced. I wasn't spreading misinformation. 

And if you go read the letter, the author admits the study was preliminary and they intend to do a more rigorous, or are currently working on it.
The authors' conclusions in the article ARE misinformation. The theme of the authors' discussion is that fear of SARS-CoV-2 is overblown because its mortality rate isn't much higher than other viruses. This is the idea that you were propagating by posting a link to the article. But it is simply not true. Any suggestion that the mortality rate of SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses are similar is completely preposterous and not supported by any data. 

Of course, if one were to get into the details and read the entire article in depth, one could deduce that this is a spurious claim. But you have argued in the post just below this, that such investigation is unreasonable. In your criticism of the New York Times article (an article in which the headline accurately captures the body of the text much more closely than the conclusions of the study match the underlying data), you argue that the reader cannot possibly be expected to get into the details and it is the duty of someone disseminating information to ensure the "one-liner" take home point and the underlying details are consistent. You do this literally the next post after suggesting you have no responsibility to do the same.

I know the president has no reservations about talking out of both sides of his mouth, but I think we should hold ourselves to a higher standard. 

You should be upset with the scientists who wrote those words and the reviewers/journal who allowed them to be published, not someone who quotes them.  You have a legitimate beef with the conclusions of the authors, but the exact same thing applies to the media when they promote exaggerated mortality rates based only on known cases.  
Absolutely true about being upset with the authors. That manuscript was disgraceful and I am shocked that it is actually getting published. Though I know nothing about that particular journal and there are a lot of bad journals out there. Regardless, they should all be ashamed. 

I don't know exactly what media and what mortality rates you are referring to in the second sentence, but to the extent that any entities are being misleading, I agree. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread