Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
James Daulton

Government Response To The Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Sounds like we may still be sending home optional work but not resolved yet if we are actually even submitting grades.

So, we spent the last 2 weeks doing "busy" work - not for grades.  (AP World History was an exception where they have been doing graded assignments)

This week is Spring Break - but beginning April 6, they will get assignments and tests for grades.  In theory its for 2 weeks, but in reality, its likely to be the rest of the school year.

7 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Michigan schools closing for the year. All kids will move up a grade and seniors will graduate.

Wow

3 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

TBH I’m more worried about my kids mental health than anything else rn.

I think the lack of socialization is an issue.  Both of our daughters have done some Zoom sessions with their classmates and teachers, but its not exactly the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

It’s what it is.

Oh i get it...so many considerations just always curious how other places are doing things.  Listened in a little on our districts virtual town hall...my wife took extensive notes.

Definitely no playbook for how to navigate this.

Just now, sho nuff said:

Oh i get it...so many considerations just always curious how other places are doing things.  Listened in a little on our districts virtual town hall...my wife took extensive notes.

Definitely no playbook for how to navigate this.

I think we our teachers will continue posting links to lectures or videos explaining the concepts along with practice assignments. It’s just that none of it is mandatory or being graded.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

I think we our teachers will continue posting links to lectures or videos explaining the concepts along with practice assignments. It’s just that none of it is mandatory or being graded.

Yeah...thats why we are staying on top of them to make sure they don't fall behind and are prepared whenever things start up again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, timschochet said:

In terms of government response, let’s talk about something positive for once: 

This ship, the  Comfort, is simply an amazing piece of human invention and technology. 1,000 hospital beds, operating rooms, nursing rooms, radiology, completely self-sufficient, 1,200 superb doctors and nurses and crew. It will be used in New York to treat NON coronavirus patients only so as to alleviate the burden. Amazing and phenomenal.

What a great piece of our military here.

29 minutes ago, The General said:

Also let CNN know that if he wanted to he could create a panic like no one else could or some such nonsense.

The back and forth between him and that Acosta guy is absurd really, is just waste of time for him to be there. 

The President should be held accountable for what he says and does but at this point, half the country does and the other half never will. That’s not going to change and there’s no point on keep trying.

Ask questions of the experts or something about specifics that he mentioned during the press conference. Like when he mentioned that we sent supplies to Italy. They clearly need it but it would be nice to know if he sent supplies that our hospitals are currently struggling to find.

11 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I think the lack of socialization is an issue.  Both of our daughters have done some Zoom sessions with their classmates and teachers, but its not exactly the same.

Yeah, the absence of human connection is an issue for all of us. But especially when you’re in your formative years, and validation from your friends means the world to you.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Coronavirus lies are going viral. It’s essential we all fight back

Blocking "misinformative" comments or posts is a very dangerous big brother idea. I hope most people don't agree with this kind of stuff.

Less big brother, more interpretation of Schenck v. United States.  I would be fine categorizing this under a clear and present danger.  shrug.

Edited by -jb-

25 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Michigan schools closing for the year. All kids will move up a grade and seniors will graduate.

Hard to imagine this not going nationwide.

2 minutes ago, -jb- said:

Less big brother, more interpretation of Schenck v. United States.  I would be fine categorizing this under a clear and present danger.  shrug.

I take it that's the fire in a crowded movie theatre one?

Just now, cloppbeast said:

I take it that's the fire in a crowded movie theatre one?

yep.  anti-war/draft flyers during WW1.  disinformation about a deadly virus seems more damaging than a "war is bad" pamphlet. 

1 minute ago, -jb- said:

yep.  anti-war/draft flyers during WW1.  disinformation about a deadly virus seems more damaging than a "war is bad" pamphlet. 

I feel like if that were revisited the SC would protect anti-war speech. 

30 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Blocking "misinformative" comments or posts is a very dangerous big brother idea. I hope most people don't agree with this kind of stuff.

It sounds like they are creating a Snopes type website rather than blocking speech.  It seems like it would be a valuable tool.

"On March 30, we are launching Infotagion: a free to use, online, independent, fact checking service for coronavirus. Much of the disinformation that exists can be found in private channels like WhatsApp and closed Facebook groups, to which very many people have access but not everyone can see. So, we are asking people to screenshot what appears on those channels that doesn’t look right and send it to us. We will check the facts against independent, trusted and official sources, like public health services and the WHO. If the key claims made within the messages we see are false or can’t be proven, we will warn people not to share them, using a traffic light system. Coronavirus is too important to take risks with unreliable information, and the people who are spreading news about it should be able to back up what they say."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cloppbeast said:

Look dude, we can debate the authors findings. But your gate-keeping wasn't necrssary. I posted a letter from a scientist or doctor or whatever, then added a link to a study he referenced. I wasn't spreading misinformation. 

And if you go read the letter, the author admits the study was preliminary and they intend to do a more rigorous, or are currently working on it.

The authors' conclusions in the article ARE misinformation. The theme of the authors' discussion is that fear of SARS-CoV-2 is overblown because its mortality rate isn't much higher than other viruses. This is the idea that you were propagating by posting a link to the article. But it is simply not true. Any suggestion that the mortality rate of SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses are similar is completely preposterous and not supported by any data. 

Of course, if one were to get into the details and read the entire article in depth, one could deduce that this is a spurious claim. But you have argued in the post just below this, that such investigation is unreasonable. In your criticism of the New York Times article (an article in which the headline accurately captures the body of the text much more closely than the conclusions of the study match the underlying data), you argue that the reader cannot possibly be expected to get into the details and it is the duty of someone disseminating information to ensure the "one-liner" take home point and the underlying details are consistent. You do this literally the next post after suggesting you have no responsibility to do the same.

I know the president has no reservations about talking out of both sides of his mouth, but I think we should hold ourselves to a higher standard. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jon_mx said:

You should be upset with the scientists who wrote those words and the reviewers/journal who allowed them to be published, not someone who quotes them.  You have a legitimate beef with the conclusions of the authors, but the exact same thing applies to the media when they promote exaggerated mortality rates based only on known cases.  

Absolutely true about being upset with the authors. That manuscript was disgraceful and I am shocked that it is actually getting published. Though I know nothing about that particular journal and there are a lot of bad journals out there. Regardless, they should all be ashamed. 

I don't know exactly what media and what mortality rates you are referring to in the second sentence, but to the extent that any entities are being misleading, I agree. 

This is the content we are here for

This is the American spirit.  It knows no political divide. People doing their jobs in difficult circumstances - not looking for credit, nor the adulations from others - just lifting the spirits of others.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, yak651 said:

But Biden said Luahn instead of Wuhan

Good reminder of joe’s state of mind.

1 minute ago, Gopher State said:

Good reminder of joe’s state of mind.

What mind?

Pelosi Floats Phase 4 Stimulus Plan: Rolling Back SALT Cap

The congressional Joint Committee on Taxation estimated last year that repealing the SALT limit for 2019 alone would reduce federal revenues by about $77 billion. Americans earning $1 million a year or more would collectively reap $40 billion of those benefits. Most of the rest would go to households earning $200,000 or more.

:wall:

• Like 4

Accused hospital workers of stealing again. 

Someone made the point he is doing that so he can blame shortages on them.

2 minutes ago, caustic said:

The congressional Joint Committee on Taxation estimated last year that repealing the SALT limit for 2019 alone would reduce federal revenues by about $77 billion. Americans earning $1 million a year or more would collectively reap $40 billion of those benefits. Most of the rest would go to households earning $200,000 or more.

It is so difficult to come up with words for this and not get suspended. Here goes. What in the actual **** is going on here?

I can't believe this guy is our president. I don't care about his policies, the Dems awful idiots .  

Just this guy is the biggest Look at Me maniac ever....

My pop told me long ago, the guy talking about himself the most is the guy the most full of ####.

I just can't comprehend it.....

I can't listen anymore.

And I'm not a Democrat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Widbil83 said:

CNN’s Jim Acosta was Jim Acostaing hard today. How did he get back in there?

By protection of the courts.

IIRC the reporter who got into a tussle with Gorka in the Rose Garden also won in court.

I wonder if some group far smarter than me could run a FairTax simulation for today’s financial environment, giving educated guesses for upcoming stimulus check spending and the like, and end up proving my biased belief that it’s a superior method of taxation over income

5 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

It is so difficult to come up with words for this and not get suspended. Here goes. What in the actual **** is going on here?

Democrats’ love for SALT cap rollbacks predates this recession, unfortunately. The house voted to do it in December but the bill died in the senate.

FWIW, I think this proposal — giving outsize benefits to top earners in blue states — is much closer to “pork” than airline emission standards or whatever people were mad about with Pelosi’s last bill.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, caustic said:

Democrats’ love for SALT cap rollbacks predates this recession, unfortunately. The house voted to do it in December but the bill died in the senate.

FWIW, I think this proposal — giving outsize benefits to top earners in blue states — is much closer to “pork” than airline emission standards or whatever people were mad about with Pelosi’s last bill.

Huh?  They just added SALT caps last year

Before the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act was enacted in 2017, there was no limit to how much taxpayers could deduct for SALT taxes. Beginning in tax year 2018, the deduction is capped at $10,000 for all SALT income, property, and sales taxes combined.

Edited by belljr

8 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

He’s a marketing guy, since he figured out that he can’t deny that it’s happening he’s been pushing responsibility onto the states. Just in case that doesn’t take enough blame off of him, now it’s the healthcare workers stealing. It’s pathetic. He’s setting up his deflections from criticism and he doesn’t care who he attacks to do it. It would not surprise me to see him criticize doctors for not saving enough people. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cloppbeast said:

Where the hell are you getting these links? This author has two articles on this site.

Edited by Lutherman2112

24 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

Political robber barons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, belljr said:

Huh?  They just added SALT caps last year

The cap was added with Trump’s 2017 tax bill and the house tried to undo that last year.

27 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

Some will still praise him.

27 minutes ago, caustic said:

Such a ruined opportunity. You’ve got the perfect opportunity to do great things for the American people with no financial restrictions and this is what you want to do? Horrible, vote every one of them out.

• Like 1

Imagine saying the NY firefighters were milking the clock while in the towers.

Imagine doing it again the next day.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

Imagine saying the NY firefighters were milking the clock while in the towers.

Imagine doing it again the next day.

Imagine bragging about how your building was now the tallest building in southern Manhattan following the 9/11 attacks?

5 hours ago, tonydead said:

I wasn’t laughing at deaths, you know that. I was laughing at you taking Trump’s tweets so far left no body can take you seriously.  Kind of like accusing anybody of being happy about death. Go outside and take a break. 

Huh, I guess I'm just humor deficient, because I still don't get what's so funny. :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Lancet study: the death rate for this virus is 0.66%

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-lower-death-rate/index.html

This seems like good news, doesn’t it? Not sure if it should change anything in terms of what our next steps should be but still...it’s good. 

That is still pretty high when you start working with big numbers. Figure if it infects 45% of Americans that is over 1,000,000 dead. 

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Florida schools closed to May 1st. Moved from April 15th

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, jack527 said:

Class 1 Surgical masks available, N95 mask, goggles, overalls.our products have both CE and FDA certifications.

Manufactured from the factory and delivered directly to the designated location you need.

We have 14,000,000 masks left. 8-10 day turnaround.

Buy from a 100% Indigenous-owned organization.

Specs available- please email 

You piece of garbage, first responders need those.

Edited out the email address.

Edited by fantasycurse42
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, huthut said:

That is still pretty high when you start working with big numbers. Figure if it infects 45% of Americans that is over 1,000,000 dead. 

Sure but isn’t the whole point of shelter in place and social distancing to prevent such a large percentage as 45%? I think we can do that. 

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Sure but isn’t the whole point of shelter in place and social distancing to prevent such a large percentage as 45%? I think we can do that. 

Hopefully, but I also feel like it will not completely go away, there might continue to be flare ups once people go back to work in June or whenever that is. Social distancing for "Flattening the Curve" does not necessarily have less people infected, it just delays some of the infections to keep them within medical care capacity. If 0.66% die even with ventilator access then I don't know how much lower it could get, it just prevents it from going significantly higher due to a lack of medical support.

2 hours ago, msudaisy26 said:
2 hours ago, caustic said:

I haven’t looked into the specifics of this rollback but I can speak to getting hosed the past 2 years (this year included as I did my taxes in Feb) by the SALT caps and I’m not in either category listed in the post.  The SALT cap was a kick in the balls to home owners in high tax (and often high house pricing) states/communities and this actually raised my taxes.   

• Like 1