What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is technically correct. But it needs additional context.

Trump has previously used the word "hoax" to convey two different meanings:

1. when describing things that he believed to be a partisan witch hunt (e.g., impeachment).

2. when describing things that he believes did not happen (e.g., Russian meddling in the election).

Personally, I think that Trump was using definition #1 when talking about the coronavirus. But I doubt that 100% of people will interpret it that way, and there will be many people who believe that the coronavirus is a hoax. And that's not good for any of us. Whether Trump was being deliberate or not, his comments are making the country less safe, and he should issue a retraction immediately to correct the record.
trying to interpret this simpleton’s intent or meaning is pointless.  he doesn’t even know.

1. when describing things that he believed to be a partisan witch hunt (e.g., impeachment).

2. when describing things that he believes did not happen (e.g., Russian meddling in the election).

Personally, I think that Trump was using definition #1 when talking about the coronavirus. But I doubt that 100% of people will interpret it that way, and there will be many people who believe that the coronavirus is a hoax. And that's not good for any of us. Whether Trump was being deliberate or not, his comments are making the country less safe, and he should issue a retraction immediately to correct the record.
There is also the fact that Russian meddling was as real as the virus and Trump simply uses "hoax" to deflect criticism.

:lmao:   You don't think him announcing $8 billion to fight the virus yesterday was enough to correct the record on this hot take huh?

So where did you "type" his point in this thread?  Seems like you copy/pasted his tweet defending himself which was itself a word salad that only missed the word hoax.

Leeroy's explanation makes sense if you remove the fact that Trump has constantly downplayed the disease to the point of making it a nothingburger.  This was just more of the same.
Here ya go

Because they were know to be returning from a region where the CV19 virus was actively infecting people, this isn't that hard.

All he was saying is that people here will likely get CV19 and not know, they will think it's just the flu or a cold because their symptoms aren't severe and they will not seek medical attention and will carry on life as usual.  We all do it.

HTH

Hi.  I hate Trump. I've hated Trump since the 2016 primary, I hate him now, and I hope he loses in November.

You're grossly misrepresenting what he actually said.  
It has absolutely nothing to do with how I feel about Trump.  And I’m not misrepresenting a thing.  He flat said it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Calling in Hannity?  As in having Hannity work on the virus?  Or you mean he called Hannity's show, because Trump and Co. do that all the time.
I listened to sports radio for probably two decades. I'm not proud of it. When a couple of times in those twenty years a super star athlete would call in to dispute whatever loud mouth hot take machine was saying, it was highly unusual and jawdroppingly crazy.  In comparison, having the POTUS constantly calling in to talk TV shows is off the hook BONKERS. 

You’re a really funny guy @tonydead, real funny. 

I listened to sports radio for probably two decades. I'm not proud of it. When a couple of times in those twenty years a super star athlete would call in to dispute whatever loud mouth hot take machine was saying, it was highly unusual and jawdroppingly crazy.  In comparison, having the POTUS constantly calling in to talk TV shows is off the hook BONKERS. 
Well its been normal for Trump. I took it as Daywalking thinking this is something new. 

Well its been normal for Trump. I took it as Daywalking thinking this is something new. 
What i was getting at is it is insane to be calling in to Hannitty to freestyle about a pandemic.  This a not spitballing about Rosie O’Donnel or Ted Cruz’s wife.

Their is no upside for Trump to be doing interviews/events like he has the past few days.  If you were smart you put the experts front and center as a buffer.  Not to mention they know what they are talking about.

But he cant help himself.  Like a moth to the flame.  This is the big story.  This is where the eyeballs are at.  He cannot resist.

How is a crying emoji funny?  It's sad you cant separate how you feel about Trump and what he actually said.  
But all-too-often what he actually said gets people from the political right re-stating/re-imagining what was actually meant all the damn time.

*I'm not taking a side on this particular "lets make sense of Trump" item.

But all-too-often what he actually said gets people from the political right re-stating/re-imagining what was actually meant all the damn time.

*I'm not taking a side on this particular "lets make sense of Trump" item.
Sure but a page or two back I gave 3 examples that were repeated over this morning that are demonstrably wrong. 

I could just say both sides, but, I have to think the posters here are smarter than that. 

So I just got an e-mail from the company I am working for and they are banning all travel. The company is located in Delaware. We have  a few huge projects going on with consultants traveling in from all over the country and I just got an e-mail telling them all to stay home and work remotely until further notice. They also told people that have any signs of sickness to work from home for at least two weeks after their symptoms are gone. Has anyone else seen something like this yet? I don't think it is a bad idea but I was wondering if this was gaining traction. This company is extremely focused on security and safety but I was still a bit shocked that they were going to such extreme measures. 

Has anyone else seen something like this yet?
Yeah, my company banned all work related travel (domestic and international) without C-suite approval. They also asked if you plan to travel or if state for personal reasons, that you contact HR beforehand. Two of my directs had out of state travel for this weekend and HR wanted them to work from home for 14 days. We got that decree rolled back for my 2.

Our jobs requires access to on-site shops and labs and tools. 14 days at home for half my team would have an effect on deliverables.

I actually agree with President Trump. I suspect the actual mortality rate is well below 1%. The key is that way more people are infected than we realize. 

Whats hurting business all over the globe is these decisions to stop all large gatherings. Given the already rapid spread of the disease, it makes no sense. 

So I just got an e-mail from the company I am working for and they are banning all travel. The company is located in Delaware. We have  a few huge projects going on with consultants traveling in from all over the country and I just got an e-mail telling them all to stay home and work remotely until further notice. They also told people that have any signs of sickness to work from home for at least two weeks after their symptoms are gone. Has anyone else seen something like this yet? I don't think it is a bad idea but I was wondering if this was gaining traction. This company is extremely focused on security and safety but I was still a bit shocked that they were going to such extreme measures. 
Real news like this is more often posted in the other virus thread in the FFA. Large North American, mostly, company here and we have suspended travel outside of North American and are keeping businesses associates from other countries and those that have recently visited other countries from coming to our offices. Domestic travel just not encouraged right now. 

I actually agree with President Trump. I suspect the actual mortality rate is well below 1%. The key is that way more people are infected than we realize. 

Whats hurting business all over the globe is these decisions to stop all large gatherings. Given the already rapid spread of the disease, it makes no sense. 
Stopping large gatherings doesnt make sense?  Wat?

It was interesting to see Jay Inslee get along with Pense tonight. The reporters tried to bait Pense and the experts with the mortality rate question. You could tell they cant commit to an unknown number, but, basically said they expect it to be lower than 3.4 in a round about political way. 

Yeah, my company banned all work related travel (domestic and international) without C-suite approval. They also asked if you plan to travel or if state for personal reasons, that you contact HR beforehand. Two of my directs had out of state travel for this weekend and HR wanted them to work from home for 14 days. We got that decree rolled back for my 2.

Our jobs requires access to on-site shops and labs and tools. 14 days at home for half my team would have an effect on deliverables.
14 days for just out of state?  You must be in a zero reported case state for that to make any kind of sense. 

DW didn't make a mistake. It's hard to argue against the fact that the country would be a better place if the Trump family went away, no matter what the circumstances. They are objectively terrible human beings.

It was interesting to see Jay Inslee get along with Pense tonight. The reporters tried to bait Pense and the experts with the mortality rate question. You could tell they cant commit to an unknown number, but, basically said they expect it to be lower than 3.4 in a round about political way. 
Yes, what a deviously crafted question, asking about mortality rates of a possible pandemic. And asking the experts and the person in charge of the response? Man, it’s a good thing they can answer that in a round about way and not commit to a number. 
Why cant they just say 3%? Pretty much what every expert is saying. How is this a tricky question?

Maybe I should ask you what you mean by “bait Pense and the experts?” 3.4%. Of reported cases it’s 3.4%. 

Sure, there are probably unreported cases out there that could drop that number down, perhaps. But of the observable numbers it’s 3.4%. We shouldn’t just guess that “ it could actually be really low, like less than 1%.” 

Basically the argument “well, we don’t even know how many people are infected, so that mortality rate should be lower” isn’t an acceptable response. It’s even more alarming. 

We stopped outgoing travel for the next two months and are getting folks that travel in to use teleconference and other remote means.  This all went down yesterday.  

Interesting article on the future of this coronavirus

The article looks at what may happen in the future if this coronavirus is not contained (and it seems unlikely to be contained)

1.  It joins the other 4 coronaviruses in seasonal circulation and becomes something akin to a bad cold.

2.  It becomes more like a serious seasonal Flu strain - before eventually fading to "normal" flu-like symptoms as people build immunity over the years 

I’ve never really been angered by Trump before.  I’m not into politics, and got involved in this forum for longer than I should because I was sick of being bombarded by Trump Russia stuff 24/7.

Ive always viewed Trump as less of a Evil corrupt criminal mastermind, and more of a idiot Celebrity with a terrible record on the mistreatment of women.

That being said, I’m very angry with him right now. I don’t follow him on twitter and I don’t watch tv, so I don’t notice things he says.  

But if you’ve drifted to the ffa, I’ve been heavily following the corona virus, for obvious reasons.

This idea has been breaking out that it’s a hoax, and that it’s not that bad.  Hey the death rate is definitely going to be under 1%, etc.   I couldn’t figure out why or how people could think that.

Then I noticed that Trump said the hoax thing, which I posted about yesterday. Also just noticed this morning that HE may the statement about the low death rate the other day.

Now it all makes sense where all these bozos are coming from.  

But he’s really stepping in it this time.  He’s going to have a lot of blood on his hands for his nonchalant attitude unless he gets lucky and somehow this virus gets solved in an unforeseen way (which he would certainly take credit for)

My understanding is that the idea behind banning large gatherings, cancelling international travel, etc. isn't to stop the spread of the disease.  That's not going to happen and was never a realistic goal.  The idea is to slow down the spread of the disease so that everybody doesn't get sick at once.  If we can spread out the number of cases over time, it puts less strain on hospitals and doesn't blow up our health care apparatus.

In other words, if you graph infections on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, you would strongly prefer a long, flat curve over a brief, spiky curve.  That's what these bans on large gatherings are supposed to accomplish.

I’ve never really been angered by Trump before.  I’m not into politics, and got involved in this forum for longer than I should because I was sick of being bombarded by Trump Russia stuff 24/7.

Ive always viewed Trump as less of a Evil corrupt criminal mastermind, and more of a idiot Celebrity with a terrible record on the mistreatment of women.

That being said, I’m very angry with him right now. I don’t follow him on twitter and I don’t watch tv, so I don’t notice things he says.  

But if you’ve drifted to the ffa, I’ve been heavily following the corona virus, for obvious reasons.

This idea has been breaking out that it’s a hoax, and that it’s not that bad.  Hey the death rate is definitely going to be under 1%, etc.   I couldn’t figure out why or how people could think that.

Then I noticed that Trump said the hoax thing, which I posted about yesterday. Also just noticed this morning that HE may the statement about the low death rate the other day.

Now it all makes sense where all these bozos are coming from.  

But he’s really stepping in it this time.  He’s going to have a lot of blood on his hands for his nonchalant attitude unless he gets lucky and somehow this virus gets solved in an unforeseen way (which he would certainly take credit for)
Well, he's certainly negating the insulation between himself and the epidemic/pandemic  he tried to build by putting Pence in charge of the response

My understanding is that the idea behind banning large gatherings, cancelling international travel, etc. isn't to stop the spread of the disease.  That's not going to happen and was never a realistic goal.  The idea is to slow down the spread of the disease so that everybody doesn't get sick at once.  If we can spread out the number of cases over time, it puts less strain on hospitals and doesn't blow up our health care apparatus.

In other words, if you graph infections on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, you would strongly prefer a long, flat curve over a brief, spiky curve.  That's what these bans on large gatherings are supposed to accomplish.
Yup. Currently at a beer festival, first one I've seen with hand sanitizers :D

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
DW didn't make a mistake. It's hard to argue against the fact that the country would be a better place if the Trump family went away, no matter what the circumstances. They are objectively terrible human beings.
And his reaction in the face of this is proof.

Interesting article on the future of this coronavirus

The article looks at what may happen in the future if this coronavirus is not contained (and it seems unlikely to be contained)

1.  It joins the other 4 coronaviruses in seasonal circulation and becomes something akin to a bad cold.

2.  It becomes more like a serious seasonal Flu strain - before eventually fading to "normal" flu-like symptoms as people build immunity over the years 
Thanks for posting this.  I read this exact article a while back but couldn't find it when I went searching.

This is probably a weird thing to say, but I imagine people in this forum will probably get it.  This covid-19 outbreak is one of the most interesting and engaging news stories to come around in years and is probably in the top 10 of my lifetime.  We've had weird and scary diseases come out of Asia before -- SARS, MERS, H1N1, bird flu (which I think ended up not even being a thing?), etc. -- but none of them really created a serious problem outside of the region.  Sure, I had to stand in line with my kids for 90 minutes to get H1N1 vaccines, but that was not really a big deal.  The coronavirus was obviously very different from day one, and we've gotten the opportunity to watch it play out in real time.  The fact that it's not a doomsday virus makes it a little easier to look at it from an intellectual/curiosity angle.

Of course I'm also personally interested in this because I work in an industry (higher ed) that figures to be greatly affected by this if it messes up the flow of international students into the US, which it probably will.  But we won't really know that for a while yet.

That makes sense. But it’s going to crash the world economy. Is there no other way? 

This outbreak has been nice camouflage for Trump's planned cuts to SS and Medicare. If he plays this right, low information older voters won't ever hear about it until after the election.

On a side note- the 8 billion in government spending was just passed by the Senate 96-1. The 1 was Rand Paul. 

I don’t know what Paul’s reasoning is but I can guess: it’s some kind of libertarian anti-government principle. And this is the main reason I stopped being a libertarian several years ago. The ideas are attractive but these people refuse to deal with the reality of the situation- just like the Bernie Sanders types on the other side. 

On a side note- the 8 billion in government spending was just passed by the Senate 96-1. The 1 was Rand Paul. 

I don’t know what Paul’s reasoning is but I can guess: it’s some kind of libertarian anti-government principle. And this is the main reason I stopped being a libertarian several years ago. The ideas are attractive but these people refuse to deal with the reality of the situation- just like the Bernie Sanders types on the other side. 
I think he had offered an amendment with 8 billion in cost savings elsewhere - making this a neutral bill, rather than a net-spend bill.  Amendment failed, so he voted against.

and then never came back to admit you might have been mistaken when it was pointed out.
I’m sorry man, didn’t mean to avoid, I just never come here anymore.  We will have to agree to disagree.  I read his statement, I didn’t find any ambiguity there. Obviously he knows the virus itself isn’t a hoax.  It’s a real virus and no one is saying he doesn’t think that.  But his implications were 100% clear, imo

Trump is saying a lot of wrong things. But he is doing the right things. I think the latter is more important. 
His words have a direct impact on 35% of people in this country.

Although a significant percentage of them are now torn between their conspiracy sites that tell them this is a engineered killer virus and their president that says it’s another hoax

His words have a direct impact on 35% of people in this country.

Although a significant percentage of them are now torn between their conspiracy sites that tell them this is a engineered killer virus and their president that says it’s another hoax
He did not say that the virus is a hoax. :wall:  

It's at 20:33 here. - He does what most administration personnel do, he translates for Trump and reinterprets into something rational. Then when pressed he says he relies on the Presidents' judgment because - as past investigations and the ongoing purge of experts in the administration shows - contradicting the president is not permitted. - Birx says "the 3% is concerning to all of us" and then she explains why.

It’s a real virus and no one is saying he doesn’t think that.  But his implications were 100% clear, imo
Ummmmm, you said it, right here

"So wait a second, are there people actually trying to argue that Trump didn’t call this virus a hoax?  I don’t see how anyone can read his comments and think that"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread