What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try re-phrasing it as "expose the horrible things our government has done". It reads better.
What did you want the government to do when this was going on? This is from the article

U.S. exports of surgical masks, ventilators and other personal protective gear to China skyrocketed in January and February, when the coronavirus was wreaking havoc in the country where it began and as U.S. intelligence agencies warned it would soon spread.

American companies sold more than $17.5 million worth of face masks, more than $13.6 million in surgical garments and more than $27.2 million in ventilators to China during the first two months of the year, far exceeding that of any other similar period in the past decade, according to the most recent foreign trade data available from the U.S. Census Bureau. 

What did you want the government to do when this was going on? This is from the article

U.S. exports of surgical masks, ventilators and other personal protective gear to China skyrocketed in January and February, when the coronavirus was wreaking havoc in the country where it began and as U.S. intelligence agencies warned it would soon spread.

American companies sold more than $17.5 million worth of face masks, more than $13.6 million in surgical garments and more than $27.2 million in ventilators to China during the first two months of the year, far exceeding that of any other similar period in the past decade, according to the most recent foreign trade data available from the U.S. Census Bureau. 
Well since the ventilators in the strategic stockpile were broken, maybe buy some new ones while there were still some to be had.

Or .. I guess .. according to Jared, the federal government should have been encouraging each State to buy the things that the feds were not prepared to share.

take the virus serious in January and February.   That's it.  That's all I ever wanted.

It's now April and Trump has not used the Defense Production Act to control supply and distribution of PPE and medical equipment.  He still has not pushed for national stay at home policies. 

Honestly - if you were to write a novel depicting the worst possible response to a global pandemic - what we are seeing would be pretty close.  And, no one would believe it were true becasue its inconcievable that someone so incompetant could get elected.

Anyone think we get to vote in November in person? I don’t. 
Anyone think this administration is making/executing a plan for that? I don’t.

Is this up to the states?
I heard (and have no idea if it's true, I'm not a Constitutional scholar) that if elections are suspended that come inauguration day the current Speaker of the House takes over as Pres. Can anyone confirm or correct this?
To start with, it would be nearly impossible to postpone the 2020 Presidential election. The date for Election Day was set by an act of Congress, and could only be changed by Congressional vote.

Even if Congress did manage to pass a bipartisan bill, they would only be able to postpone the election for a maximum of 10 weeks -- because the Constitution stipulates that Trump's term will end on January 20th.

However, there is a potential loophole: the Constitution allows each state to choose their method for selecting electors. So, in theory, the individual states could cancel their elections and just have the state legislature pick the electors. Such a plan would theoretically be beneficial to Trump, as Republicans currently have total control of 25 state governments (217 electoral votes) plus partial control of 8 more (86 electoral votes).

Of course, all of this assumes that we live in a country where politicians actually follow the rule of law. I haven't really accounted for the whole, "Trump declares himself to be President For Life, SCOTUS rules 5-4 in his favor" scenario.

I'm not sure I understand what your response means, if anything, but I will say I guess there were two choices: 1. halt exports, and per the article 54 nations have done that but not us, or 2. super-cranked up production for the US side as well.

I do think there is an argument to be made or could have been made that stopping cv in its tracks in China was a proactive move, if it was coupled with doing the same in the US using the same concept - manufacturing tools to fight it.

However neither path was taken.

I'd really like to see the White House briefing on this stuff and the paper trail on the decision making, and the best way to do that is through Congressional investigation. - Agreed?

Exponential growth is not actually apparent in the U.S. This illustration shows confirmed cases is a function of how many tests are given. The percentage of test positives has remained pretty much constant. Therefore, the apparent exponential growth in covid19 infections is just an exponential growth in the ammount of tests given. (1)

Every country sees the exact same pattern, and you can check out visuals here. After an initial period of extreme growth in covid19 infections, they settle into an equilibrium around 100 new cases a day. It's pretty clear the infection had been widely circulating within each of these countries before they even start testing. (2)

Leads me to believe this has been a more established virus than we thought, circulating since sometime in 2019.(3)  Being that it's about only 3-5 times worse than the flu (4) , it when undetected in the early stages. We will find the seeming exponential growth mellows out world wide in aprilml (5) . Then Larry Hogan and Cuomo take credit for saving the world with their lockdown measures.
almost everything here is wrong.

1. tweet missing, but I'd guess you can't draw that conclusion from the data given (is that why the tweet was pulled?).  you can have exponential growth in new infections and exponential growth in positive tests and a constant ratio between both.  If ther number of tests administered increases at the same rate as new cases, that's exactly what you would expect.  And, in fact, if we only test people showing symptoms, that makes a hell of a lot of sense.
  2. The only way you can come to that conclusion is to assume that mitigation factors have absolutely no effect on the spread of the disease.  Also, the choices selected for that graph is quite odd...far from "Every country".  The choices selected there would make one think that the data was cherry-picked to support an argument.  Go ahead - add Spain and the United Kingdom and see if you can come to the same conclusion.
  3. Except our hospitals were not overrun in 2019.  Neither were italian or Spanish hospitals...
  4. it's not.  
  5.  If thats what we see, (and I hope to God it is), it will be becase mitigation efforts have slowed the spread.

Was this before, during, or after Trump was telling the country Coronavirus was under control here?
We have 15 cases, going to zero soon -- anyone who says otherwise HATES AMERICA AND IS JUST TRYING TO DESTROY TRUMP. 

But companies should be stockpiling millions in PPE equipment for the explosion of cases that's going to happen.

Makes sense.

This sounds like a solid Biden campaign ad.

George Carlin on germs and the immune system. Potentially offensive, so fair warning.
There's no analysis going on here. Just digging up as much stuff against Trump as possible.
The name checks out....Carlin's comments were during a time where a Trump Presidency seemed more like a punchline than a reality.  Donny was out cheating on whoever he was married to at the time and attempting to grab all the women he could when that special ran :lmao:  

1. tweet missing, but I'd guess you can't draw that conclusion from the data given (is that why the tweet was pulled?).  you can have exponential growth in new infections and exponential growth in positive tests and a constant ratio between both.  If ther number of tests administered increases at the same rate as new cases, that's exactly what you would expect.  And, in fact, if we only test people showing symptoms, that makes a hell of a lot of sense.
  2. The only way you can come to that conclusion is to assume that mitigation factors have absolutely no effect on the spread of the disease.  Also, the choices selected for that graph is quite odd...far from "Every country".  The choices selected there would make one think that the data was cherry-picked to support an argument.  Go ahead - add Spain and the United Kingdom and see if you can come to the same conclusion.
  3. Except our hospitals were not overrun in 2019.  Neither were italian or Spanish hospitals...
  4. it's not.  
  5.  If thats what we see, (and I hope to God it is), it will be becase mitigation efforts have slowed the spread.
Not sure why they keep deleting the tweets but whatever. Here's the actual data. You can see the negative results are rising exponentially just like positive confirmations. The positive test rate shows no trend.

If the number of tests administered increases at the same rate as new cases, that's exactly what you would expect. 
Right. If.....

My only point was that exponential growth had not been proven. I haven't drawn any conclusions other than to say, I mean my point is that the conclusions being drawn shouldn't be.

The name checks out....Carlin's comments were during a time where a Trump Presidency seemed more like a punchline than a reality.  Donny was out cheating on whoever he was married to at the time and attempting to grab all the women he could when that special ran :lmao:  
"You Are All Diseased" was February 1999, so Trump was divorcing Maples and shtooping at least Melania.

ETA: This is from that show...Rated R for language. "Businessmen"

Trump to a t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I didn't think Carlin was even alive when Trump became President. He's still the man though, Carlin I mean.

Edit to add: Sorry, I need to start reading better.

Last edited by a moderator:

4. it's not.  
Great post.  Someone needs to take the reigns and respond to people spreading absolute lies 

At this momemnt on Worldometers

USA: 272,998 cases (28,121 new, not all states reported yet), 7,005 dead (935 today, not all states reported yet)

Right. If.....

My only point was that exponential growth had not been proven. I haven't drawn any conclusions other than to say, I mean my point is that the conclusions being drawn shouldn't be.
 Here is your claim:

Exponential growth is not actually apparent in the U.S. This illustration shows confirmed cases is a function of how many tests are given. The percentage of test positives has remained pretty much constant. Therefore, the apparent exponential growth in covid19 infections is just an exponential growth in the ammount of tests given

don't try to claim that exponential growth isn't proven - that's not what you said.  Your explicit claim was that there was not exponential growth. 

Uninsured Americans will get reimbursed for Coronavirus treatments?  Is that true?
It's my understanding that they won't get a bill.  The hospitals will be reimbursed and I believe at Medicare rates.  Just turned on the news conference (third time's a charm right) and it was right at the point where the Azar was saying that being fired qualifies as a circumstance so they can go to healthcare.gov (Obamacare) and sign up for a plan.  Can't make this stuff up :lol:  

C'mon Trump supporters, please explain how this is correct. Or maybe join us in pointing out how ridiculous this statement is.
You guys waste so much energy and keystrokes on this. Not getting on you personally, but if they haven’t come around by now, it’s never going to happen. They’ll hold him accountable once he holds himself accountable and not a minute sooner. Don’t hold your breath on either happening though. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread