What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The part where he implied that anyone who needs a ventilator is going to die...shameful. 
I want to get back to this because it was the worst thing that he said today, maybe the worst thing ever (though there’s lots of competition.) 

First off it’s not true. Statistics show that 2/3rds of those put on ventilators for this virus recover and are eventually released from the hospital. So why did Trump repeatedly imply today that being on a ventilator is equivalent to death, before pushing for the miracle cure of hydroxycholoquine and Zithromax? I can only conclude it’s an excuse to avoid being blamed for the lack of ventilators- this way he can argue that it doesn’t matter because if you have to be put on a ventilator you’re going to die anyhow. That’s why I called him a coward today, and that’s what he is. 

So, he’s still pushing his Hydroxychloroquine cure BS?
Maybe Trump Organization has cornered the market and he's just doing a little sellin'. Like that time during his '16 campaign where he called a press conference to finally disavow the birther bs and then switched over to pitching some condos. Maybe my favorite Donald Moment.

Link

“Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, a Clarklake Republican, told The Detroit News that he asked the governor to issue the original letter to prevent people from hoarding the drugs and thus depriving non-coronavirus patients of their medicine.

We needed something to prevent cloroquine from becoming the next toilet paper," he told Miles. "I quickly requested of her staff that they put something out, and somehow in the translation it was prohibiting use of these drugs — and that wasn't the intent."
Are we surprised when some are uneducated about this?  (Just using his own words...)

They're not mutually exclusive but they're terrible optics unless there are extenuating circumstances or there's a reasonable explanation. Administrative action could be a reaction to those doctors not following procedures in place that are designed to protect patients from tomfoolery and quackery. Yet, she still might think there's a mitigating factor that drug might play in either lessening the extent of damage caused to the patient or pain caused to the patient. That, however, might not make it a cure in her eyes. There's a nuance to be had there. 

There's a reasonable explanation but it looks bad on a message board. 
From what I read this was a miscommunication In response to when the drug was first mentioned a couple weeks ago. They were trying to prevent a run on it. 

Would-be cures that don't follow the timeline of scientific inquiry becoming political footballs is sad, but not surprising, in this day and age. 

This is truly disgusting, as it's anti-science and a race to snake oil, so it seems. 

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I read this was a miscommunication In response to when the drug was first mentioned a couple weeks ago. They were trying to prevent a run on it. 
I just read your link. Thanks. Sounds like a state regulatory agency had a communications problem with the Governor. Sounds like a lot of agencies are having problems with that Governor.

Link

“Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, a Clarklake Republican, told The Detroit News that he asked the governor to issue the original letter to prevent people from hoarding the drugs and thus depriving non-coronavirus patients of their medicine.

We needed something to prevent cloroquine from becoming the next toilet paper," he told Miles. "I quickly requested of her staff that they put something out, and somehow in the translation it was prohibiting use of these drugs — and that wasn't the intent."
I'm sure the apologies from Widbil and lodco will be coming shortly...

CDC launches studies to get more precise count of undetected Covid-19 cases

"On Friday, the CDC published the first of what will be a weekly Covid-19 surveillance report, based on the model of its longtime influenza report, FluView. The report is based on data from the last week of March. It showed that in that week, nearly 76,000 Americans had been tested for the infection, with nearly 11,000, or 14.5%, testing positive.

It also showed that pneumonia and influenza deaths, which would normally be falling at this time of year as flu season starts to abate, are increasing. Pneumonia deaths have been rising sharply since the end of February — because of Covid-19."

I’m trying not to engage in hyperbole, but...

today was the worst press conference yet by Donald Trump. I think it was probably the worst public speaking I have ever heard in my life. This man is incompetent, a coward, completely incoherent. We have a rudderless ship and we are in big big trouble here. 
At least Hillary would have gotten the right people to tell her what to say.

In late March, the administration ordered 10,000 ventilators — far short of what public health officials and governors said was needed. And many will not arrive until the summer or fall, when models expect the pandemic to be receding.

“It’s actually kind of a joke,” said one administration official involved in deliberations about the belated purchase.
So in mid-January HHS first proposed implementing the DPA.

Here in late March for some reason the administration did not fill the orders of state health officials and governors. Still no way to understand this. What is the sense of this, the reasoning?

It's still almost shocking to see the level of misinformation and blatant lies that have been propagated by the Chinese government around the origin and spread of the virus, as well as their ability (or lack thereof) to bring it under control within their own country. I mean we all expected it, but it's beyond the point of ridiculous now. 

And it's not just the government. You have businesses like Luckin Coffee that may have fraudulently inflated revenues by over $300m even before all this happened. Mission accomplished, factories are re-opening, people are going back to work....it's all part of a giant lie. 

On Feb. 10, he held a political rally in New Hampshire attended by thousands where he declared that “by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”

The New Hampshire rally was one of eight that Trump held after he had been told by Azar about the coronavirus, a period when he also went to his golf courses six times.

A day earlier, on Feb. 9, a group of governors in town for a black-tie gala at the White House secured a private meeting with Fauci and Redfield. The briefing rattled many of the governors, bearing little resemblance to the words of the president. “The doctors and the scientists, they were telling us then exactly what they are saying now,” Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said.

That month, federal medical and public health officials were emailing increasingly dire forecasts amongst themselves, with one Veterans Affairs medical adviser warning, ‘We are flying blind,’” according to emails obtained by the watchdog group American Oversight.
So Fox is telling us that in January Fauci was telling Newsmax and a radio show there was nothing to worry about. - Apparently early February he was rattling governors.

The coronavirus may be the first crisis Trump has faced in office where the facts — the thousands of mounting deaths and infections — are so devastatingly evident that they defy these tactics.

After months of dismissing the severity of the coronavirus, resisting calls for austere measures to contain it, and recasting himself as a wartime president, Trump seemed finally to succumb to the coronavirus reality. In a meeting with a Republican ally in the Oval Office last month, the president said his campaign no longer mattered because his reelection would hinge on his coronavirus response.

“It’s absolutely critical for the American people to follow the guidelines for the next 30 days,” he said at his March 31 news conference. “It’s a matter of life and death.”

I want to get back to this because it was the worst thing that he said today, maybe the worst thing ever (though there’s lots of competition.) 

First off it’s not true. Statistics show that 2/3rds of those put on ventilators for this virus recover and are eventually released from the hospital. So why did Trump repeatedly imply today that being on a ventilator is equivalent to death, before pushing for the miracle cure of hydroxycholoquine and Zithromax? I can only conclude it’s an excuse to avoid being blamed for the lack of ventilators- this way he can argue that it doesn’t matter because if you have to be put on a ventilator you’re going to die anyhow. That’s why I called him a coward today, and that’s what he is. 
Can you point us to the studies or the data you are using to state this?

The one article I read in the last week seems to say it is a lot higher than you are stating.

Probably the best published information we have so far is from the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Center (ICNARC) in the UK. Of 165 patients admitted to ICUs, 79 (48%) died. Of the 98 patients who received advanced respiratory support—defined as invasive ventilation, BPAP or CPAP via endotracheal tube, or tracheostomy, or extracorporeal respiratory support—66% died.

Compare that to the 36% mortality rate of non-COVID patients receiving advanced respiratory support reported to ICNARC from 2017 to 2019.

Can you point us to the studies or the data you are using to state this?

The one article I read in the last week seems to say it is a lot higher than you are stating.
I don’t think I heard Cuomo wrong but maybe, per your link I did; maybe 2/3rds of those on ventilators die rather than survive. It still doesn’t change the nature of Trump’s cowardly, despicable comment. 

We can always tell when you are copying stuff off of Twitter and passing them off as your own. 
Terrible form to copy stuff without crediting the source. Agreed. I'm glad you called it out. Good job.

Now, let's see if the drive by Laughing emoji authors can discuss the source content as it applies directly to the title and intent of the thread.

Josh Gad @joshgad 7h

There is still NO nationwide stay at home order & there is still NO plan for emergency supplies from our General Government. As of today, there are over seven THOUSAND dead Americans. 3 Americans died in Benghazi & an entire party was apoplectic. Where is that outage right now?

Go!

Terrible form to copy stuff without crediting the source. Agreed. I'm glad you called it out. Good job.

Now, let's see if the drive by Laughing emoji authors can discuss the source content as it applies directly to the title and intent of the thread.

Josh Gad @joshgad 7h

There is still NO nationwide stay at home order & there is still NO plan for emergency supplies from our General Government. As of today, there are over seven THOUSAND dead Americans. 3 Americans died in Benghazi & an entire party was apoplectic. Where is that outage right now?

Go!
Why would anyone want to discuss things with people who have to be told how to think on Twitter. Seems like a giant waste of time. 

The part where he implied that anyone who needs a ventilator is going to die...shameful. The part where he urged people to take hydrochloroquine, dreamily acting like it was a miracle cure that might work and “what have you got to lose?”...shameful. The part where he contradicted Fauci and stated that “we can’t let the cure be worse than the disease”...scary. 
This was horrendous, morbid.

Oops. :lmao:

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a Democrat, went from threatening doctors who prescribed the drug with "administrative action" to requesting that the federal government ship her state some. Other state leaders have followed suit, including Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak, also a Democrat.

That's gonna sting. You guys really need to get informed. I can't do it all for ya.
Let me help you with this. You’re combining two similar but separate issues:

1. The threatening of doctors who are prescribing hydroxychloroquine. That has to do with the overprescribing of the drug to inappropriate patients. I like to call it ‘I’ve got a friend who is a doctor’ prescribing. Patient hears about the drug in the news and calls up their friend or family member and asks them to call in a script for them, often excessive amounts so that the patient can stockpile them.

It is a very real problem. At my pharmacy we received dozens of random prescriptions following the first Trump press conference on it. The drug is already on back order at the retail level and there are regular patients taking it for rheumatoid arthritis and lupus that can’t get if the shortage expands.

Most regulatory boards have settled on restricting it only to patients who are CV positive. The shady doctors have caught on and started claiming they are treating the approved conditions even if it’s not in their scope of practice. This is what she was threatening prescribers about.

2. The request for tablets from the federal stockpile is to be used by doctors in the hospitals for the treatment of CV+ patients. This is for actual treatment and clinical trials. Something that many hospitals are trying.

Two different issues and she’s dealing with both in appropriate ways.

We only wish Joe could talk this well.
Yes if only.
:lol:  He struggles reading at times. I honestly can look past it.

For me the far more eye opening thing is how poorly he communicates. I have watched hours of these press conferences over the past few weeks. He really has a hard time discussing topics. He falls back on a few phrases and words over and over again like some parody of himself. His answers are often nonsensical.

When the other people on the stage get their time it’s like a whole different press conference happens. 

Can we sue people like @kayleighmcenany @drdrew @seanhannity @DevinNunes etc, for going on @FoxNews and telling people this was a hoax, which no doubt has contributed to the spread, and thousands of deaths? Negligent homocide, perhaps? Any lawyers have a take on this?
Is there any way we can sue Adam Schiff and Nancy pelosi?  When the world was first starting combating Corona virus they were taking Trump's attention away with a fake impeachment because they lost the election.

Maybe Trump would have been a little more prepared if they weren't wasting resources and everyone's time with a BS impeachment.

Sound ridiculous? The Washington Post agrees with me: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/23/lets-be-honest-impeachment-hurt-trumps-response-coronavirus/

Can we sue people like @kayleighmcenany @drdrew @seanhannity @DevinNunes etc, for going on @FoxNews and telling people this was a hoax, which no doubt has contributed to the spread, and thousands of deaths? Negligent homocide, perhaps? Any lawyers have a take on this?
It's already happening.  At least one suit already filed in Washington state and at least a few others queued up to take their shot.  Saw an article today that FOX is beefing up legal staff to handle them.

ETA: discovery to find out what FOX was saying to employees internally would be interesting.

It's already happening.  At least one suit already filed in Washington state and at least a few others queued up to take their shot.  Saw an article today that FOX is beefing up legal staff to handle them.
Yeah, that's going nowhere. 

just keep crying and throwing stuff against the wall until something sticks I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread