What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I want the PSF folk spilling over into the FFA, but it's baffling to me that there were several people over there talking about what was coming and seem to be fairly confident.  Just odd that the Federal government didn't have that insight, or didn't see the seriousness of it.  

Been said several times before, but the complete shutdown of Wuhan should have put the world on alert and that gave plenty of time to make sure we had a plan in place in case it found it's way into our borders.   Decisive actions and leadership is what people are asking for.  That should be job description #1 for people running a country.  
It did put the world on alert. Dr. Fauchi was quick to sound the alarm here in the US, very clearly saying that the asymptomatic transmission element was going to make this a catastrophic global event. Every politician in office at the moment who did not immediately go to school on that virus should have been immediately removed from office. These clowns coming forward now that they didn't know? I still find that hard to believe and think it has to be a cover for something else. That is a level of negligence that I have never seen before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I want the PSF folk spilling over into the FFA, but it's baffling to me that there were several people over there talking about what was coming and seem to be fairly confident.  Just odd that the Federal government didn't have that insight, or didn't see the seriousness of it.  

Been said several times before, but the complete shutdown of Wuhan should have put the world on alert and that gave plenty of time to make sure we had a plan in place in case it found it's way into our borders.   Decisive actions and leadership is what people are asking for.  That should be job description #1 for people running a country.  
Great talking point for the Trump hater agenda but nobody was stopping this thing. I’ve never seen anything like it in my lifetime, acting like any government was prepared for this is a joke. Just saw Boris Johnson hospitalized and on FB someone linked an article, not sure if true, but tiger in NY zoo tested positive? I’m at a loss. I figure in the next month or 2 we are going to have to adapt to opening the world and follow new social distancing norms and find our new normal. This is brutal but I’m afraid most see through the partisan blame game....no one could have seen this. 

Great talking point for the Trump hater agenda but nobody was stopping this thing. I’ve never seen anything like it in my lifetime, acting like any government was prepared for this is a joke. Just saw Boris Johnson hospitalized and on FB someone linked an article, not sure if true, but tiger in NY zoo tested positive? I’m at a loss. I figure in the next month or 2 we are going to have to adapt to opening the world and follow new social distancing norms and find our new normal. This is brutal but I’m afraid most see through the partisan blame game....no one could have seen this. 
Not sure what your point even is with the bolded.     You are claiming people thought we would have 0 deaths if we shut down?   

I think most in here would be very happy with a response on par with other countries at the very least.   We still aren't even there and we are leading the world in deaths.  

There was plenty of warning about what we are dealing with, you saying over and over that "no one could have seen this" is laughable at this point.  

Not sure what your point even is with the bolded.     You are claiming people thought we would have 0 deaths if we shut down?   

I think most in here would be very happy with a response on par with other countries at the very least.   We still aren't even there and we are leading the world in deaths.  

There was plenty of warning about what we are dealing with, you saying over and over that "no one could have seen this" is laughable at this point.  
No interest in the back and forth with you playing MMQB, we get it everything he does wrong you guys saw coming. This is a sad situation, really don’t see anything productive out of this but hope you had a good weekend. 

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1246935997650276352

Trump begins by saying how hard the team is working and expressing good wishes to Boris Johnson. He says he's sure Johnson will be fine, as he's a "strong man."

Trump wishes New York well, notes the decline in new deaths there, and says NJ Gov. Phil Murphy is doing a "great job." He notes the deployment of military personnel and the hospital ship to New York.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1246935997650276352

Trump begins by saying how hard the team is working and expressing good wishes to Boris Johnson. He says he's sure Johnson will be fine, as he's a "strong man."

Trump wishes New York well, notes the decline in new deaths there, and says NJ Gov. Phil Murphy is doing a "great job." He notes the deployment of military personnel and the hospital ship to New York.
He is as delusional as anybody I have ever seen.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1246937220344414208

Trump: "More and more, we're using our medical people, because of the fact that jurisdictions, states" have challenges; "sending a lot of things, a lot of supplies, and now we're sending personnel where it's needed. Military personnel."

Trump touts the arrival of a "massive amount of material" on cargo planes, including hundreds of millions of gloves and nearly 8 million masks, and talks about the deployment of ventilators to Louisiana, Michigan, and elsewhere.

Trump on Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker: "There's a governor, I hear him complaining all the time. Pritzker...always complaining." "He has not performed well." He says the federal government is helping with an Illinois facility because Pritzker isn't doing what he is supposed to.

Trump daily update on where the supplies are heading is like that website that tracks Santa Claus.

Keep me posted when the supplies are over Kansas.  Yippy.  They are getting closer.

It did put the world on alert. Dr. Fauchi was quick to sound the alarm here in the US, very clearly saying that the asymptomatic transmission element was going to make this a catastrophic global event. Every politician in office at the moment who did not immediately go to school on that virus should have been immediately removed from office. These clowns coming forward now that they didn't know? I still find that hard to believe and think it has to be a cover for something else. That is a level of negligence that I have never seen before.
For sure.  I have 0 clue how anybody could say or post "no one could have seen this" with a straight face.  

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1246939383829278721

Trump on hydroxychloroquine: "What do I know, I'm not a doctor...but I have common sense...as you know, they've approved it...they gave it a rapid approval." It has not been FDA-"approved" for the coronavirus. The FDA gave it a limited emergency use authorization.

Some news reports on the limited emergency use authorization used the phrase "FDA approves"; the FDA did allow this emergency use. But "approval" means a specific thing in the medical world, and the FDA has emphasized that no drug has been approved for the coronavirus.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1246939383829278721

Trump on hydroxychloroquine: "What do I know, I'm not a doctor...but I have common sense...as you know, they've approved it...they gave it a rapid approval." It has not been FDA-"approved" for the coronavirus. The FDA gave it a limited emergency use authorization.

Some news reports on the limited emergency use authorization used the phrase "FDA approves"; the FDA did allow this emergency use. But "approval" means a specific thing in the medical world, and the FDA has emphasized that no drug has been approved for the coronavirus.
I think I need a translator. 

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
I don't think he has stock, he just bites on these magic bullet solutions every time. It's always something, he may believe in it himself, but it's not clear. Seth Rich, Mueller hated him because of greens fees, the secret server was in Ukraine, etc., it's always the same patter.

We are near or possibly past the point that normal reasonable people would decide we need someone competent making the decisions.

So I was duped into a couple press conferences because I was told that Trump was doing a really good job.  In one he blamed Obama for faulty test kits.  In the second one Pence continued to be the voice of reason from a political perspective as Trump basically shot down Fauci's opinion with "meh, we can't let the solution be worse than the problem".  I'm not sure what that even means, but there is a glaring question in my mind.

WTF is the CDC?  They aren't on that stage and I am wondering why.  It's unfathomable that the people supposedly spearheading this thing are nowhere to be found.  Have they had a presence in all the other ones and it just so happened the two I did watch they weren't there?  I mean, I even saw DeVos on the stage for one of them, but the CDC?  Nope...nowhere to be found.
I'll see if I can find the Wapo article that describes what happened here. Apparently Messonier did a public call or interview in late February where she sounded the alarm while Trump was telling everyone everything was fine, just fine. Messonnier and the CDC haven't been seen since.

I agree, it's completely nuts and slightly scary.

After listening to this so far...what is it that warranted this spontaneously scheduled briefing other than the fact Trump needed his daily dose of attention to boost his ego?

After listening to this so far...what is it that warranted this spontaneously scheduled briefing other than the fact Trump needed his daily dose of attention to boost his ego?
Numbers across the board seem to be stable, which is good news. Need to see a pattern before we get too excited about one day, but it’s definitely a good sign. 

Navarro said to Fauci, "That's science, not anecdote," said another of the sources.

Navarro started raising his voice, and at one point accused Fauci of objecting to Trump's travel restrictions, saying, "You were the one who early on objected to the travel restrictions with China," saying that travel restrictions don't work. (Navarro was one of the earliest to push the China travel ban.)

Fauci looked confused, according to a source in the room. After Trump imposed the travel restrictions, Fauci has publicly praised the president's restriction on travel from China.
This stuff is highly dogmatic and ideological, in a way I've only read about in authoritarian governments.

The attacks against Fauci on Fox Friday night were very telling. It's strange what's going on and not at all part of our democratic, meritocratic tradition.

Also, I’ll have to do some research, but the early report today was we (NJ) got 200 ventilators form FEMA, not 500. Hope it really is 500. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread