Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
James Daulton

Government Response To The Coronavirus

Just now, timschochet said:

Today, President Trump said that there’s no harm for anyone to take that medicine “it can’t hurt anyone; what have you got to lose?” I would have liked to hear what Fauci has to say about this. I suspect he does not agree. 

Fauci has answered that as well, by the way. I get it being a relevant topic because Trump was all about it today.

Putting Trump aside for a minute...

I actually felt good coming away from this presser based on the way Pence, Birx and Fauci spoke. After watching these things daily, I felt there was an upbeat tone indicating that things may be going a little better than the task force has anticipated. If they’re cautiously optimistic about glimmers of light, I’m taking that as a reflection of good underlying data they’re receiving.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Is there a point to this comment other than going after a poster?

Im happy that there are recaps being posted when im away and not watching.

Spamming the forum is against the rules HTH

19 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

How dare he want to provide info to the thread! 

Can you imagine? Hanging on a football message board ready for him to post so you can get in your zinger post? 

Hanging?  One post by me today. I dont live in here. 

@James DaultonPlease change the title to "ddale8's Other Twitter Feed"  TIA.  

Edited by tonydead
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Today, President Trump said that there’s no harm for anyone to take that medicine “it can’t hurt anyone; what have you got to lose?” I would have liked to hear what Fauci has to say about this. I suspect he does not agree. 

And so would have most other viewers who are not Trump supporters. 

8 minutes ago, RnR said:

I actually felt good coming away from this presser based on the way Pence, Birx and Fauci spoke. After watching these things daily, I felt there was an upbeat tone indicating that things may be going a little better than the task force has anticipated. If they’re cautiously optimistic about glimmers of light, I’m taking that as a reflection of good underlying data they’re receiving.

Agreed their was some good takeaways from today’s presser👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RnR said:

I agree. 

Did anyone hear Queen Elizabeth today? She was awesome. So refreshing. 

21 minutes ago, JbizzleMan said:

I've had ice cream everyday since the quarantine began.  I'm COVID-19 free. I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure ice cream is a prophylactic against Covid-19. 

BREAKING: New study finds that correlation *is* causation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RnR said:

I agree with their are def some positives coming out in terms that the models that they have had are holding.

They better be, everyone is locked away in their homes. The numbers better be slowing, how would they not?

The million dollar question that I would like someone to ask the Docs is what happens when people all go back. How confident are they that they have a plan in place that the system can handle that? Won’t people just start getting it again? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JbizzleMan said:

I've had ice cream everyday since the quarantine began.  I'm COVID-19 free. I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure ice cream is a prophylactic against Covid-19. 

Did your significant other get pregnant? If not, ice cream is confirmed as an actual prophylactic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The General said:

I agree with their are def some positives coming out in terms that the models that they have had are holding.

They better be, everyone is locked away in their homes. The numbers better be slowing, how would they not?

My understanding of the models was that they already baked in the "locked away in their homes" aspect of this to the 100,000-240,000 "best-case" scenario. What's encouraging is that if you look at what some of those very same models were forecasting for us on this date, say, 7-10 days ago... we're nowhere near that pace in many areas.

37 minutes ago, RnR said:

That’s not contradicting Trump’s stance on it. Fauci has repeatedly said that as well.

Truth is, we all want to hear from the doctor. There are a limited amount of questions you’re going to get through in these pressers. Let’s try one that was don’t already know the answer to

Eh, the problem is the President raising it all on his own. Plus there was brand new reporting on this today,

23 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Spamming the forum is against the rules HTH

Hanging?  One post by me today. I dont live in here. 

@James DaultonPlease change the title to "ddale8's Other Twitter Feed"  TIA.  

His posts recapping as this goes are not spamming the board though.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RnR said:

My understanding of the models was that they already baked in the "locked away in their homes" aspect of this to the 100,000-240,000 "best-case" scenario. What's encouraging is that if you look at what some of those very same models were forecasting for us on this date, say, 7-10 days ago... we're nowhere near that pace in many areas.

That is good.

Have you heard them address when we start opening things back up? 

3 minutes ago, squistion said:

It is not approved for COVID-19 use by doctors, as you well know. 

Falsehood. FDA has authorized widespread use saying possible benefit outweighs any risk. Didnt learn that on twitter?

2 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Falsehood. FDA has authorized widespread use saying possible benefit outweighs any risk. Didnt learn that on twitter?

There has been nothing to add for a week or so with this drug. It is weird it is talked about every day in these things. 

That was a fair question today from CNN guy.

• Like 1

Just now, Daywalker said:

What is the math behind the projected 200,000 deaths?

I am not sure about how the numbers are arrived at, but Dr. Fauci (not allowed by Trump to answer reporter's questions today) and other medical professionals have put 100, 000 to 200,000 deaths figure as the best case scenario.  

2 hours ago, squistion said:
2 hours ago, CurlyNight said:

So he's hoarding a drug that Fauci doesn't have much confidence in while people with lupus aren't all getting what they need.

Yes, and that is reprehensible coming from POTUS.

Reprehensible disinformation from Trump on this topic yet again.  It's dangerous

• Like 1

Not about politics but Inside The ER is a great watch on CNN . Just the facts of what our poor health care workers are up against in the ER.

14 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

But not for that indication. Coronavirus is not an intended use approved by the FDA.

Hence the issue.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-daily-roundup-march-30-2020

On March 28, 2020, the FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to allow hydroxychloroquine sulfate and chloroquine phosphate products donated to the Strategic National Stockpile(SNS) to be distributed and used for certain hospitalized patients with COVID-19. These drugs will be distributed from the SNS to states for doctors to prescribe to adolescent and adult patients hospitalized with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible. The EUA requires that fact sheets that provide important information about using chloroquine phosphate and hydroxychloroquine sulfate in treating COVID-19 be made available to health care providers and patients, including the known risks and drug interactions.

7 minutes ago, The General said:

Why do you think Trump brings this drug up everyday unsolicited and then gets upset when a reporter asks him why?

Maybe he will see JBizzle’s experience and bring up Ice Cream tomorrow.  Now that’s a cure I’m sure we can all get behind.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, The General said:

Why do you think Trump brings this drug up everyday unsolicited and then gets upset when a reporter asks him why?

Before I answer, I want to say this: I have no idea if it will work or not. I don't feel I'm in position to agree or disagree with him on the matter.

With that said...

I think Trump has seen anecdotal evidence that suggests the usage of those drugs can be beneficial. There have been a handful of small studies (I posted links to them in the FFA thread earlier this week) that have some net-positive early results. I think he feels the risk is worth the potential reward during the apex of our crisis. I think he also knows that Dr. Fauci is a dyed in the wool scientist who would never offer his endorsement behind anything that didn't have sufficient scientific backing and adequate testing.  The problem, of course, is that adequate testing takes time. Time we don't have in this scenario.

Fauci has been consistent in answering questions about the subject in this manner. He says, fundamentally, that he and the President aren't all that different on their outlook. It's just one of them is willing to go on anecdotal evidence in a crisis, and one has no interest in doing so. Hence the reason Fauci always defaults to: There's no scientific evidence that would prove it works.

For whatever reason (I suspect it's political), people seem to want to paint them at odds over it. They've both said that's not the case. Trump interpreted a repetitive question about it from a CNN reporter as an attempt to drive a wedge between them in the public eye. While we still could have stood to hear the answer from Fauci (even if we knew what he was going to say), I think it's hard to say he's wrong about that.

Edited by RnR

1 minute ago, RnR said:

Before I answer, I want to say this: I have no idea if it will work or not. I don't feel I'm in position to agree or disagree with him on the matter.

With that said...

I think Trump has seen anecdotal evidence that suggests the usage of those drugs can be beneficial. There have been a handful of small studies (I posted links to them in the FFA thread earlier this week) that have some net-positive early results. I think he feels the risk is worth the potential reward during the apex of our crisis. I think he also knows that Dr. Fauci is a dyed in the wool scientist who would never offer his endorsement behind anything that didn't have sufficient scientific backing and adequate testing.  The problem, of course, is that these testing takes time. Time we don't have in this scenario.

Fauci has been consistent is answering questions about the subject in this manner. He says, fundamentally, that he and the President aren't all that different on their outlook. It's just one of them is willing to go on anecdotal evidence in a crisis, and one has no interest in doing so. Hence the reason Fauci always defaults to: There's no scientific evidence that would prove it works.

For whatever reason (I suspect it's political), people seem to want to paint them at odds over it. They've both said that's not the case. Trump interpreted a repetitive question about it from a CNN reporter as an attempt to drive a wedge between them in the public eye. While we still could have stood to hear the answer from Fauci (even if we knew what he was going to say), I think it's hard to say he's wrong about that.

No one knows if it works, everyone hopes it does. It’s all anecdotal stuff and hopes. 

Fauci has weighed in with his stance. Trump has with his.

This drug  has been brought up by Trump repeatedly for a couple weeks now IIRC and a lot over the past few days.

There’s been no new info about it so it’s odd he brings it up to me even odder when he gets upset when the CNN guy asks him why he keeps bringing it up and goes off on his Fake news shtick. 

Just now, The General said:

No one knows if it works, everyone hopes it does. It’s all anecdotal stuff and hopes. 

This drug  has been brought up by Trump repeatedly for a couple weeks now IIRC and a lot over the past few days.

There’s been no new info about it so it’s odd he brings it up to me even odder when he gets upset when the CNN guy asks him why he keeps bringing it up and goes off on his Fake news shtick. 

I agree with the first two thoughts. I'm not sure I can agree with the bolded, though.

Last week the FDA approved its usage for COVID 19. From that point forward, we have some small batch results on real patients. We also have governors asking for it.

And, perhaps the reason it was topical today, we just added 29 million doses of it to our federal stockpile for distribution.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, The General said:

If i had to bet my life?  I would go with Trump is getting something from someone to do it as opposed to not.

Edited by Daywalker

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

He’s gotten death threats too. 

Oh geez, what person who achieves national prominence doesn't?

That's some low hanging fruit you picked there.

I just hope that this drug isn’t being hoarded making it difficult to get for those who need it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Man In The Box said:

I just hope that this drug isn’t being hoarded making it difficult to get for those who need it. 

You mean like with ventilators?

Just now, Man In The Box said:

It is difficult now for those with Lupus to get it, thanks to the repeated touting by Trump. 

2 hours ago, squistion said:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1246939383829278721

Some news reports on the limited emergency use authorization used the phrase "FDA approves"; the FDA did allow this emergency use. But "approval" means a specific thing in the medical world, and the FDA has emphasized that no drug has been approved for the coronavirus.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RnR said:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-daily-roundup-march-30-2020

On March 28, 2020, the FDA issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to allow hydroxychloroquine sulfate and chloroquine phosphate products donated to the Strategic National Stockpile(SNS) to be distributed and used for certain hospitalized patients with COVID-19. These drugs will be distributed from the SNS to states for doctors to prescribe to adolescent and adult patients hospitalized with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible. The EUA requires that fact sheets that provide important information about using chloroquine phosphate and hydroxychloroquine sulfate in treating COVID-19 be made available to health care providers and patients, including the known risks and drug interactions.

Sure but that doesnt seem to support the..”ask your doctor for it...try it...what do you have to lose” narrative Trump has pushed.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Sure but that doesnt seem to support the..”ask your doctor for it...try it...what do you have to lose” narrative Trump has pushed.

How is that inconsistent? Every doctor and patient have a discussion about treatment options for any ailment. (ETA: Assuming the patient is in the capacity to make such a decision, of course)

Edited by RnR

1 minute ago, squistion said:

It is difficult now for those with Lupus to get it, thanks to the repeated touting by Trump. 

That’s unfortunate if it’s true. I don’t know anyone personally who takes it so I’m just going by what I read. 

26 minutes ago, The General said:

There has been nothing to add for a week or so with this drug. It is weird it is talked about every day in these things. 

That was a fair question today from CNN guy.

From day one, this drug has been used as deflection and distraction from the 2 month failed preparation for this.  Occasionally the distraction works here in this forum. 

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, RnR said:

I agree with the first two thoughts. I'm not sure I can agree with the bolded, though.

Last week the FDA approved its usage for COVID 19. From that point forward, we have some small batch results on real patients. We also have governors asking for it.

And, perhaps the reason it was topical today, we just added 29 million doses of it to our federal stockpile for distribution.

He talked about the 29 million doses yesterday for sure. I believe before than as well.

The small batch results are what Fauci doesn’t want to lend credence to. 

To me it seems he enjoys fighting with reporters about this. It’s a waste of time at the moment to keep talking about it and repeating the same things over and over again in these press conferences. 

11 minutes ago, RnR said:

I think Trump has seen anecdotal evidence that suggests the usage of those drugs can be beneficial 

Trump has also seen anecdotal evidence that vaccines cause autism. 

Trump has also seen anecdotal evidence that Barack Obama wasn’t born in the United States. 

Trump has also seen anecdotal evidence that thousands of Muslims in New Jersey cheered during 9/11. 

Trump has also seen anecdotal evidence that 3 million illegal immigrants voted in 2016 in California for Hillary Clinton. 

I do not trust Donald Trump and his anecdotal evidence. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RnR said:

How is that inconsistent? Every doctor and patient have a discussion about treatment options for any ailment. (ETA: Assuming the patient is in the capacity to make such a decision, of course)

“Emergency  Use Authorization (EUA) to allow hydroxychloroquine sulfate and chloroquine phosphate products donated to the Strategic National Stockpile(SNS) to be distributed and used for certain hospitalized patients with COVID-19.These drugs will be distributed from the SNS tostates for doctors to prescribe to adolescent and adult patients hospitalized with COVID-19, asappropriate,”. 
That from your quote...is not the same as ask your doc..what do you have to loss.

That signifies doctors can prescribe in emergency situations at their discretion those who have tested positive and need it.  

4 minutes ago, squistion said:

Considering a doctor must prescribe it for either use, I'm not sure if that's how it's going down. I'd be interested in seeing the reporting on Lupus patients going without it, though, if you have it.

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Trump has also seen anecdotal evidence that vaccines cause autism. 

Trump has also seen anecdotal evidence that Barack Obama wasn’t born in the United States. 

Trump has also seen anecdotal evidence that thousands of Muslims in New Jersey cheered during 9/11. 

Trump has also seen anecdotal evidence that 3 million illegal immigrants voted in 2016 in California for Hillary Clinton. 

I do not trust Donald Trump and his anecdotal evidence. 

But do you like Green Eggs and Ham?