What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's pretty well known Trump is a germophode. And he travels and speaks to the press. So you should be able to figure this out on your own.
I think this cuts against your argument, gb.

As a germophobe it si very easy to think that Trump thinks the press would be out to get him.

It's quite shocking.  It looks like this virus is going to be managed by 50 different states.  So essentially 50 countries making their own rules because there is nothing coming from the federal government.
The joys of being a republic with "State's rights"

Last edited by a moderator:
USA now has more cases than Japan (excluding Diamond Princess)

ETA: More than 4000 deaths

Kevin McCarty (GOP Leader) twitter - "Everything you need to know about the Chinese coronavirus can be found on one, regularly-updated website:"

Weird that two days in a row GOP leaders referred to it as the Wuhan or Chinese virus. I wonder why.

Kevin McCarty (GOP Leader) twitter - "Everything you need to know about the Chinese coronavirus can be found on one, regularly-updated website:"

Weird that two days in a row GOP leaders referred to it as the Wuhan or Chinese virus. I wonder why.
Trump is making it a priority to assign blame for the virus elsewhere.

The reality is, nobody cares where it came from, they want to know what the government is doing about it now.

You can even “other” a virus apparently. They’re political through and through. 

Man I have a regular dive bar I hang out at. I got a professional situation but I come from pretty working class background so I hang out there because I feel comfortable. I’m telling you the working class folks at least in this area are vast majority in the “it’s just like a bad cold” opinion. Going to be tough to motivate or mobilize. Handwashing, social distancing, preparations, etc hasn’t even dented the consciousness yet. They’re just playin nine ball like yesterday and the day before that. 

It’s just striking to me because I’m wargaming various possibilities for a business and it isn’t even on their mind. Got an old guy there 70 years old w chronic COPD and you can’t tell him a thing. 

Trump is making it a priority to assign blame for the virus elsewhere.

The reality is, nobody cares where it came from, they want to know what the government is doing about it now.
not true...he's going to play this into his hard immigration stance for the election and turn it against chinese people...

Not weird. Not two days in a row. Most countries called it Wuhan Virus. Many viruses are named after locations.

They are? 
West Nile, Marburg, Spanish Flu.... But hey, maybe you guys are right, maybe Trump is calling it Wuhan Virus for the sole purpose of unfairly blaming China. 

The thing that seems funny to me is that there are so many things to legitimately criticize Trump for, people are going after the name "Wuhan Virus"?

The guy at CPAC had contact with Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, Ted Cruz and Mark Meadows among others. Gaetz self-quarantined ON Air Force One.

West Nile, Marburg, Spanish Flu.... But hey, maybe you guys are right, maybe Trump is calling it Wuhan Virus for the sole purpose of unfairly blaming China. 

The thing that seems funny to me is that there are so many things to legitimately criticize Trump for, people are going after the name "Wuhan Virus"?
Using the name “wuhan virus” is not in my top ten things to criticize Trump over. It’s pretty far down the list actually.

That said, its pretty stupid.

The list is long.

just flew from Florida to Detroit and back in the last 5 days, not as many masks as I thought.

I have no confidence in this admin to do anything.....
While it’s tempting to just hit the like button or say ditto - this administration does something astonishingly stupid every single day - they don’t have a monopoly on pandemic ineptitude. For every ROK there have been twenty Italy/UK -type responses.

I think the concern is that so much effort is being put into minimization, which can be achieved with a certain audience if paired with xenophobia (hey it’s not our virus, other people did this to me).  It’s a transparent calculation to add the “Chinese” modifier.  More ‘us versus them.’ 

This is an extension of the legitimate criticism.  He is making public health decisions based on his own personal public relations calculus.  

I think the concern is that so much effort is being put into minimization, which can be achieved with a certain audience if paired with xenophobia (hey it’s not our virus, other people did this to me).  It’s a transparent calculation to add the “Chinese” modifier.  More ‘us versus them.’ 

This is an extension of the legitimate criticism.  He is making public health decisions based on his own personal public relations calculus.  
I don't agree but at least this is a little more reasonable than the original few posts. Thank you.

Good news!! White House will be trying to issue new tax cuts!!

I’m gonna throw money at the virus while the commander in debt figures out anything but addressing the core issue.

People have been calling it the "Wuhan coronavirus" for months.  It was in the title of the thread in the FFA until it got changed recently.

While it was kind of cruel joke, I did enjoy Morning Joe talking about how Matt Schlapp (I think) told Mitt Romney that he couldn't guarantee his safety at CPAC so he shouldn't come.  Well he was right but not for the reasons he thought

By the way when Tucker Carlson is telling you that this virus is serious then you know it is something

The guy at CPAC had contact with Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert, Ted Cruz and Mark Meadows among others. Gaetz self-quarantined ON Air Force One.
How did Gaetz get exposed?  He has been employing overly cautious steps for weeks.  Surely he wasn't shaking hands WHILE wearing a gas mask?  Just confused as to how such a smart guy could have exposed himself to this.

We don’t need the virus to diminish right now. We need it to spread. I wrote this in the other thread and I am dead serious. 

Many many more people need to get the virus and they need to recover from the virus. That will be the only way to determine what the actual mortality and recovery rates are. I personally suspect they are much lower (and higher) than suspected. Once that happens everyone calms down, no more quarantines or cancellation of large gatherings and the economy recovers. 
No it isn’t and you really misunderstood what I wrote. I don’t want anyone to die. I wanted a lot of people to get a MILD case of the virus and recover so that we could know the mortality rate which many experts suspect is extremely low, and that would stop the panic and actually save lives. And none of it had anything to do with political reasons. But I know you know this already; why are you making false attacks? 
So to be clear, you want a rosy future in which everyone catches this, gets immune to it, and life goes on.

I don't think the "panic" is killing people yet.  And go ask people in Italy if it is a great idea for everyone to get this thing, I'm sure they are on board with your plan.

Current count in Italy: 9,172 confirmed cases, 463 deaths.  5% fatality rate

Go ahead and tell us how Italy's population is old, etc.  Sure that's true, but we have a lot of elderly people here in the US too.

Wishing that this disease will spread like wildfire across the country is reckless imo.  And how exactly would it save lives?  The less people that get the disease, the fewer people will die from it.  Simple math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread