What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Germans are always such drama queens...

coronavirus spread‏ @covid2019_info 39m39 minutes ago

INFO FLASH -

Angela #Merkel, the German Chancellor, has declared to the German Parliament that "60 to 70%" of the German population will be infected with #coronavirus. (Bild) #Coronavid19 #coronvirusitalia

https://twitter.com/covid2019_info/status/1237473102898085892
That Merkel, she really knows how to stick it to Trump doesn't she?

Those Germans are always such drama queens...

coronavirus spread‏ @covid2019_info 39m39 minutes ago

INFO FLASH -

Angela #Merkel, the German Chancellor, has declared to the German Parliament that "60 to 70%" of the German population will be infected with #coronavirus. (Bild) #Coronavid19 #coronvirusitalia

https://twitter.com/covid2019_info/status/1237473102898085892
Holy Moly.  Couple that with what's happening in Italy and it makes you wonder if we are getting anything close to the full story in the USA.

A permanent elimination of payroll taxes is just a permanent elimination of Medicare and Social Security, isn't it? How many among the GOP base who receive those benefits would happily back this payroll tax elimination without realizing the implications?
Not GOP but I’d be fine with it as long as they cut me a check for all the money I’ve put in thus far.....plus interest. 

In the past I have defended my Trump supporter friends on facebook against accusations that they are all in agreement on certain things, like an obsession with AOC, which I didn't believe to be true. But in this case it is true that a vast majority of them are in the "no big deal" camp. A good friend even said , "meh, we'll be fine"  Thankfully, I am not attempting to change anyone's mind. I hope they are right and I am wrong.  Not worth arguing though once I hear "just a flu" I state my case and let them believe what they want. 

Well Rush did call it the common cold weaponized against Trump. Usually stuff like that is more humorous than anything but it's a dangerous uninformed statement here given so many seem to believe it and may now not protect themselves or more importantly others. 

Relevant to testing, Indiana's largest health system sent out this message to its providers today:

"Currently tests through the Indiana State Department of Health are very limited and are being reserved for hospitalized patients or patients who are thought to be high communicable risks like nursing home patients".

I thought anyone who wanted a test could get one? Must have misunderstood. I mean, it's not like this is the home state of the surgeon general or Vice President Pence, who is leading the coronavirus response task force...

Well Rush did call it the common cold weaponized against Trump. Usually stuff like that is more humorous than anything but it's a dangerous uninformed statement here given so many seem to believe it and may now not protect themselves or more importantly others. 
You're talking about a Medal of Freedom "winner".  He and Lt. Bone Spurs know more about this stuff than anyone.  Many people say they have a knack for it.

I think there's no doubt that the media is playing this Corona virus up hoping this will sink Trump.

They are making a much bigger deal out of this than I think it really is.  The regular flu is going to kill a far more lot of people this year.  Where's the panic on that?
Well millions of people get flu shots to protect against it, and it still kills people. There is nothing of the sort for cv19, it has a long incubation period, and is easily transmitted. It has a long recovery time, and it’s pretty much brand new so we really don’t know much more than that. Seems an abundance of caution might be prudent. Countries are shutting down- how will that affect you if it happens here? Will your work be impacted? I’m concerned for my parents, and for the economic impact. It could put a lot of people out of work- from being sick or from lack of business. The insurance policy where I work doesn’t cover closure due to viral outbreak- so that could really affect me and my family if things were to shutter.

Relevant to testing, Indiana's largest health system sent out this message to its providers today:

"Currently tests through the Indiana State Department of Health are very limited and are being reserved for hospitalized patients or patients who are thought to be high communicable risks like nursing home patients".

I thought anyone who wanted a test could get one? Must have misunderstood. I mean, it's not like this is the home state of the surgeon general or Vice President Pence, who is leading the coronavirus response task force...
It's a flat out embarrassment and we should be ashamed of ourselves.  Not sure how any MAGA supporter can feel good about MAGA with the quote below.....  We've tested 8500.  Unacceptable. 

"The South Korean government has been among the most ambitious when it comes to providing the public with free and easy testing options. It has the ability run about 15,000 diagnostic test per day and has conducted 196,000 tests to date nationwide, free of charge."

Last edited by a moderator:
If I set the number of total infected (symptomatic or asymptomatic) in America at 12,000, would you take the over or the under?

I'd hammer the over.
According to our government, who has this whole thing contained, we are at only 971 cases.  So the under is clearly the winner.

In two weeks the numbers will be exponentially higher.  At least the state and local governments are taking steps and appear to be getting support from the federal government now.  The problem is the messaging.  Downplaying the potential impact of this virus is absurdly irresponsible.

In two weeks the numbers will be exponentially higher.  At least the state and local governments are taking steps and appear to be getting support from the federal government now.  The problem is the messaging.  Downplaying the potential impact of this virus is absurdly irresponsible.
In 2 weeks nobody will have any toilet paper left!

Well millions of people get flu shots to protect against it, and it still kills people. There is nothing of the sort for cv19, it has a long incubation period, and is easily transmitted. It has a long recovery time, and it’s pretty much brand new so we really don’t know much more than that. Seems an abundance of caution might be prudent. Countries are shutting down- how will that affect you if it happens here? Will your work be impacted? I’m concerned for my parents, and for the economic impact. It could put a lot of people out of work- from being sick or from lack of business. The insurance policy where I work doesn’t cover closure due to viral outbreak- so that could really affect me and my family if things were to shutter.
Maybe you should get into fracking or big oil or join Mar A Lago?

Jeffrey Stein @JStein_WaPo

Larry Kudlow appears to say payroll tax cut pushed by Trump as coronavirus response will pay for itself by generating new growth: "Over time, we will make it up with much better economic growth"

Last week, Kudlow appeared to dismiss a payroll tax cut and the idea of a broad stimulus package, saying such ideas "have never really worked in the past" at improving the economy

5:09 PM · Mar 10, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1237500760713281536

Do not have nearly enough testing unlike other countries.  Failure.

Messaging that everything is fine as they self-quarantine their own.  Lying.  Failure.

What again are they doing right?

If I set the number of total infected (symptomatic or asymptomatic) in America at 12,000, would you take the over or the under?

I'd hammer the over.
That’s a pretty good over-under. My wild guess is about 10,000 right now, but there’s a huge margin of error so it could easily be significantly over 12,000. We haven’t done nearly enough testing to have a solid estimate (and no randomized testing at all, as far as I know).

If that’s the right ballpark, we’ll hit a million in a month or so, and a hundred million by mid-summer if we keep treating it like it’s no big deal.

If there are only 5,000 cases right now, we can push those time frames back by ... about six days.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a pretty good over-under. My wild guess is about 10,000 right now, but it could easily be way over 12,000. We haven’t done nearly enough testing to have a solid estimate (and no randomized testing at all, as far as I know).

If that’s the right ballpark, we’ll hit a million in a month or so, and a hundred million by mid-summer if we keep treating it like it’s no big deal.
I think the total tested in the whole US is less than 6,000.

Jeffrey Stein @JStein_WaPo

Larry Kudlow appears to say payroll tax cut pushed by Trump as coronavirus response will pay for itself by generating new growth: "Over time, we will make it up with much better economic growth"

Last week, Kudlow appeared to dismiss a payroll tax cut and the idea of a broad stimulus package, saying such ideas "have never really worked in the past" at improving the economy

5:09 PM · Mar 10, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1237500760713281536
So the first cuts caused no growth...but these...yeah, these will.  Thats the ticket.

Is there a single Trump supporter who will admit he is downplaying this?

If you’ll admit that, please also admit it’s dangerous to do.

Someone be brave, one of you has to see it.

I think the total tested in the whole US is less than 6,000.

It's a flat out embarrassment and we should be ashamed of ourselves.  Not sure how any MAGA supporter can feel good about MAGA with the quote below.....  We've tested 8500.  Unacceptable. 

"The South Korean government has been among the most ambitious when it comes to providing the public with free and easy testing options. It has the ability run about 15,000 diagnostic test per day and has conducted 196,000 tests to date nationwide, free of charge."

COVID-19 Testing per capita:

Country/Province - Pop. - # Tests - /million

ROK - 51.3M - 189,236 - 3,692

Guangdong - 113.5M - 320K - 2,820

Italy - 60.5M - 49,937 - 826

Israel - 8.6M - 3,451 - 401

Netherlands - 17.1M - 6K - 350

UK - 67.8M - 23,513 - 347

USA - 329M - 1,707 (3/8) - 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread