Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
James Daulton

Government Response To The Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Well guess that's good news. Not real concerned for myself I have the constitution of a mule. I am concerned for my wife though as she is recovering from her treatments for breast cancer.

Same with my father in law in his 70s recovering from esophageal cancer.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redwes25 said:

It is just 10 to 50 times more deadly then the flu.  So same thing.  

And there’s no vaccine or antivirals to prevent or treat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's almost as interesting to see how much traction the Trump minions get with their repeated 'it's no big deal' , 'it's the media persecuting us' shtick...

I'm guessing not much in this case...you can lie your way out of lots of things but this is not one of them

Edited by killface
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, killface said:

It's almost as interesting to see how much traction the Trump minions get with their repeated 'it's no big deal' , 'it's the media persecuting us' shtick...

I'm guessing not much in this case...you can lie your way out of lots of things but this is not one of them

But it works on keeping his base.  Its all over social media with Trump supporters talking about the media hyping it.  Pretty clear that base will never leave him...they seem to be all in no matter what.

Edited by sho nuff
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

But it works on keeping his base.  Its all over social media with Trump supporters talking about the media hyping it.  Pretty clear that base will never leave him...they seem to be all in no matter what.

as many have correctly pointed out (not to generalize) but his base is consistently older and unhealthier so when they all start getting severely sick and dying we will see how much it sticks..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's dangerous is what it is.

If people are convinced it's no big deal, just like the flu, the media is overblowing it, they're not gonna take it seriously.

And that's going to lead to more people getting it, and more people dying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, killface said:

as many have correctly pointed out (not to generalize) but his base is consistently older and unhealthier so when they all start getting severely sick and dying we will see how much it sticks..

His base is also mostly rural. People in cities are the ones at much greater risk. I’m not sure which factor is more important, or if they just cancel each other out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

His base is also mostly rural. People in cities are the ones at much greater risk. I’m not sure which factor is more important, or if they just cancel each other out.

Much like the flu once this gets going there will be no stopping it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

I think there's no doubt that the media is playing this Corona virus up hoping this will sink Trump.

They are making a much bigger deal out of this than I think it really is.  The regular flu is going to kill a far more lot of people this year.  Where's the panic on that?

I don't think there is panic but there is a higher level of concern over Coronavirus because of the unknown factor.   Ultimately it may or may not turn out to be as deadly as the flu but we don't know that at this point and that is why it is getting the reaction it is getting.   I do think some of it is an overreaction but sometimes it is better to err on the side of caution.

Not everything in this world revolves around Trump although he sure seems to think that it does.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, killface said:

as many have correctly pointed out (not to generalize) but his base is consistently older and unhealthier so when they all start getting severely sick and dying we will see how much it sticks..

Really, older and unhealthier (is that even a word)

Care to provide anything factual to back this up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

His base is also mostly rural. People in cities are the ones at much greater risk. I’m not sure which factor is more important, or if they just cancel each other out.

So are you suggesting that Rural people are older and unhealthier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

I think there's no doubt that the media is playing this Corona virus up hoping this will sink Trump.

They are making a much bigger deal out of this than I think it really is.  The regular flu is going to kill a far more lot of people this year.  Where's the panic on that?

Sure, Italy is shutting it's country completely down just to sink Trump.  Yep, nothing to see here.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Megla said:

Really, older and unhealthier (is that even a word)

Care to provide anything factual to back this up

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/the-republican-party-has-an-older-voters-problem.html

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2019/12/09/healthy-states

These facts are pretty obvious.  Old people skew republican and the midwest bible belt states are uniformly unhealthier, least educated and tend to have more unwanted pregnancies

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Megla said:
13 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

His base is also mostly rural. People in cities are the ones at much greater risk. I’m not sure which factor is more important, or if they just cancel each other out.

So are you suggesting that Rural people are older and unhealthier

I don't understand how you get that from what Maurile wrote.

 

ETA:  Wait I just figured it out, never mind.

Edited by fatguyinalittlecoat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skoo said:

Boy, we sure always have money to spend for SOME things...

Privatize the profits, socialize the costs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, killface said:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/the-republican-party-has-an-older-voters-problem.html

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2019/12/09/healthy-states

These facts are pretty obvious.  Old people skew republican and the midwest bible belt states are uniformly unhealthier, least educated and tend to have more unwanted pregnancies

So let me make sure I understand

All Repub are Trumps supporters, all the voters in the state's your link sited vote Repub or Trump.

Got it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I don't understand how you get that from what Maurile wrote.

but his base is consistently older and unhealthier

His base is also mostly rural.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Megla said:

So let me make sure I understand

All Repub are Trumps supporters, all the voters in the state's your link sited vote Repub or Trump.

Got it

Wow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Megla said:

but his base is consistently older and unhealthier

His base is also mostly rural.

Maurile's point about them being rural was that people in rural communities are less susceptible because they interact with fewer people on a regular basis.  They aren't taking the subway to work or working in crowded office buildings or going to big concerts and sporting events.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Asked if he's been briefed that up to 100M could ultimately be exposed, Trump: "I've been briefed on every contingency you could possibly imagine. Many contingencies. A lot of positive. Different numbers, all different numbers, very large numbers, and some small numbers too."

Seven! 24! 358!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Maurile's point about them being rural was that people in rural communities are less susceptible because they interact with fewer people on a regular basis.  They aren't taking the subway to work or working in crowded office buildings or going to big concerts and sporting events.  

I didn't dispute that aspect of what he posted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, killface said:

as many have correctly pointed out (not to generalize) but his base is consistently older and unhealthier so when they all start getting severely sick and dying we will see how much it sticks..

Might need to start calling it the Red Hat Flu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr Steven Brule said:

Trump is reportedly floating the idea of providing help to shale oil companies.  Good grief.  

Socialism is ok as long as it's for the rich!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Maurile's point about them being rural was that people in rural communities are less susceptible because they interact with fewer people on a regular basis.  They aren't taking the subway to work or working in crowded office buildings or going to big concerts and sporting events.  

Even isolated Alaskan towns got decimated by Spanish flu.  These things find their way around.

Found this when looking, which describes how some areas were able to delay transmission and had vastly reduced fatality rates because of it (hopefully Tim will take note).

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181023-the-places-that-escaped-the-spanish-flu

Moral of their story:  “These communities basically shut themselves down,” explains Howard Markel, an epidemiological historian at the University of Michigan who was one of the authors of the study. “No one came in and no one came out. Schools were closed and there were no public gatherings. We came up with the term ‘protective sequestration’.

Edited by KPD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, killface said:

as many have correctly pointed out (not to generalize) but his base is consistently older and unhealthier so when they all start getting severely sick and dying we will see how much it sticks..

Why would that matter.  His base were farmers who were hurt by his policy.  They still support him in droves.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Megla said:

but his base is consistently older and unhealthier

His base is also mostly rural.

NBA players are disproportionately likely to belong to racial minorities.

NBA players are usually tall.

It does not follow that racial minorities tend to be tall (or that tall people tend to be non-white).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dr Steven Brule said:

I wonder how many who chant Socialism will destroy America will get behind Trump on this as a necessary move to stabilize the economy.  I'd guess the % is high despite the obvious hypocrisy.  

They've continued to support him despite handing out billions of taxpayers dollars to bail out farmers. The ideas don't even matter at this point, they're all in on the guy unless they're personally negatively effected by Trump, and even at that point I'm sure a good portion would still stick with him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

NBA players are disproportionately likely to be racial minorities.

NBA players are usually tall.

It does not follow that racial minorities tend to be tall.

The player pools here are not even close, the NBA represents such a small subsection of the overall populist,  the same can't be said about 'Trump's Base'  but I think you know I was speaking to the generalization about Trump supporters' ages and  health.  If not then my bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

I’m not. Are you?

I'm definitely not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Megla said:

So let me make sure I understand

All Repub are Trumps supporters, all the voters in the state's your link sited vote Repub or Trump.

Got it

Its  called statistics and probabilities

Try it out 

 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Megla said:

The player pools here are not even close, the NBA represents such a small subsection of the overall populist,  the same can't be said about 'Trump's Base'  but I think you know I was speaking to the generalization about Trump supporters' ages and  health.  If not then my bad

You seemed to think that if Trump supporters tend to be rural and also tend to be old, that must mean rural people tend to be old.

I was pointing out the flaw in that logic with what I thought was a clearer example of why it’s wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

CNBC reports that at today’s lunch, GOP members floated not just a temporary payroll tax cut but a permanent elimination of the payroll tax. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/trump-pitched-0percent-payroll-tax-rate-for-the-rest-of-this-year-white-house-officials-say.htm


There was also discussion of making the payroll tax rollback permanent, said the official, who declined to be named. Payroll taxes are used to fund Medicare and Social Security. When asked about the potential cost of a payroll tax cut, the official pushed back and asked why there is always a focus on the cost of tax cuts.

Edited by caustic
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, killface said:

Its  called statistics and probabilities

Try it out 

 

OK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

You seemed to think that if Trump supporters tend to be rural and also tend to be old, that must mean rural people tend to be old.

I was pointing out the flaw in that logic with what I thought was a clearer example of why it’s wrong.

You know what I meant

Are you purposely leaving out 'unhealthier"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, caustic said:

CNBC reports that at today’s lunch, GOP members floated not just a temporary payroll tax cut but a permanent elimination of the payroll tax. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/trump-pitched-0percent-payroll-tax-rate-for-the-rest-of-this-year-white-house-officials-say.htm

 

 

Yeah why focus on the costs?  Oof

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, caustic said:

When asked about the potential cost of a payroll tax cut, the official pushed back and asked why there is always a focus on the cost of tax cuts.

This is where the cries of socialism and attacks on Sanders seem so hollow.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"There was also discussion of making the payroll tax rollback permanent, said the official, who declined to be named. Payroll taxes are used to fund Medicare and Social Security. When asked about the potential cost of a payroll tax cut, the official pushed back and asked why there is always a focus on the cost of tax cuts."

 

 Sounds like old people are going to pay for most of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

This is where the cries of socialism and attacks on Sanders seem so hollow.

Hell Bernie should use it...”why do they always focus on the costs of healthcare “

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Sorry, grandma, we won't be wiring your SS in to your account this month."

I wonder if they can keep making the payments until the election? Because after that, if they win, they can do anything they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, KPD said:

Even isolated Alaskan towns got decimated by Spanish flu.  These things find their way around.

Found this when looking, which describes how some areas were able to delay transmission and had vastly reduced fatality rates because of it (hopefully Tim will take note).

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181023-the-places-that-escaped-the-spanish-flu

Moral of their story:  “These communities basically shut themselves down,” explains Howard Markel, an epidemiological historian at the University of Michigan who was one of the authors of the study. “No one came in and no one came out. Schools were closed and there were no public gatherings. We came up with the term ‘protective sequestration’.

Nobody's saying that rural communities are immune from communicable diseases.  That would be stupid.

But communicable diseases do probably spread more slowly in rural communities.  We generally have lots of personal space and aren't packed together in large numbers very often.  As others have repeated ad nauseam, slowing down the spread of a disease like covid-19 is important because it reduces the likelihood of having your hospital system overwhelmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Megla said:

You know what I meant

Are you purposely leaving out 'unhealthier"

I posted what I thought you meant. Was I wrong? If so, I don’t know what you meant.

Add ‘unhealthier’ or whatever other adjective you want back in. The logic doesn’t change. If a group of people are disproportionately both gronnit and floocy, that does not mean that gronnit people tend to be floocy.

Another example: Trump supporters are disproportionately white. Trump supporters are also disproportionately male. That does NOT mean that white people are disproportionately male.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A permanent elimination of payroll taxes is just a permanent elimination of Medicare and Social Security, isn't it? How many among the GOP base who receive those benefits would happily back this payroll tax elimination without realizing the implications?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

A permanent elimination of payroll taxes is just a permanent elimination of Medicare and Social Security, isn't it?

No. Permanently eliminating payroll taxes and funding Medicare and Social Security with income taxes instead would be a great idea, IMO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

No. Permanently eliminating payroll taxes and funding Medicare and Social Security with income taxes instead would be a great idea, IMO.

Given the GOP's stance on wanting to roll back Medicare and Social Security for the last... several decades -- consider me skeptical that this is the route they're aiming for.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those Germans are always such drama queens...

coronavirus spread‏ @covid2019_info 39m39 minutes ago

INFO FLASH -

Angela #Merkel, the German Chancellor, has declared to the German Parliament that "60 to 70%" of the German population will be infected with #coronavirus. (Bild) #Coronavid19 #coronvirusitalia

https://twitter.com/covid2019_info/status/1237473102898085892

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he means no taxes for the states that vote for him and higher taxes for those that don't.  At least that's what they meant last time around.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.