What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to have you back, you've truly been missed.
I was never gone. Common sense and reality have been winning the day with the virus lately so I've been quietly again living my life.

It is stunning though how you seem to think nothing has changed from March.

I was never gone. Common sense and reality have been winning the day with the virus lately so I've been quietly again living my life.

It is stunning though how you seem to think nothing has changed from March.
That's not really stunning, because I don't believe that, nor have I ever insinuated that.  A lot has changed from March.  Most Americans stayed at home for a long time, travel has stopped, social distancing is the order of the day, people have begun wearing masks.  A lot of good things that have brought the virus down and gotten it under control.

Can all those things continue?  If they do, then the virus likely won't make a significant comeback.

But it appears people are starting to come out of their holes.  We see it in protests, we see some churches resuming services, we see people gathering, we see people heading back to bars.  A second wave is 100% certain if we go back to our old way of life.  So at some point the rubicon will be crossed in some places and the virus will start spreading quickly again.  It's a certainty, unless people remain super vigilant for the next 6 months.

That's not really stunning, because I don't believe that, nor have I ever insinuated that.  A lot has changed from March.  Most Americans stayed at home for a long time, travel has stopped, social distancing is the order of the day, people have begun wearing masks.  A lot of good things that have brought the virus down and gotten it under control.

Can all those things continue?  If they do, then the virus likely won't make a significant comeback.

But it appears people are starting to come out of their holes.  We see it in protests, we see some churches resuming services, we see people gathering, we see people heading back to bars.  A second wave is 100% certain if we go back to our old way of life.  So at some point the rubicon will be crossed in some places and the virus will start spreading quickly again.  It's a certainty, unless people remain super vigilant for the next 6 months.
Look how quickly I've already managed to get you to back away from these words you just posted an hour ago...

The second wave will be worse than the first, that's a given.
You're welcome everybody.

Look how quickly I've already managed to get you to back away from these words you just posted an hour ago...

You're welcome everybody.
I walked nothing back. Nothing I see when I look around tells me that people are being vigilant, so it's a given under those circumstances.  So glad you're back to twist words and argue!

A lot of good things that have brought the virus down and gotten it under control. Can all those things continue?  If they do, then the virus likely won't make a significant comeback.

vs

The second wave will be worse than the first, that's a given.
You're all over the place, which is it?

I'm on Team Open but this graph has me concerned. 
This graph says nothing about Covid at all, unless I missed it, which is possible.  I don't know the answer, but isn't it possible that the graph is 100% accurate and its a reflection of elective surgeries being allowed again?

I'm not in Texas, so I don't know if they ever stopped elective surgeries like they did here in Ohio.

I'm simply saying that this might be misleading, which is the problem I have with most everything on social media.

I'm on Team Open but this graph has me concerned. 
This graph says nothing about Covid at all, unless I missed it, which is possible.  I don't know the answer, but isn't it possible that the graph is 100% accurate and its a reflection of elective surgeries being allowed again?

I'm not in Texas, so I don't know if they ever stopped elective surgeries like they did here in Ohio.

I'm simply saying that this might be misleading, which is the problem I have with most everything on social media.
He links to the source data in the first reply.  The source data indicates it is COVID data only, not general.  He also clarifies that a couple replies down.

Last edited by a moderator:
This could potentially be excellent news - 

WHO Says Asymptomatic Spread of Corona is Very Rare

Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren’t driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections. 

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn’t have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it’s being transmitted. 

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

Government responses should focus on detecting and isolating infected people with symptoms, and tracking anyone who might have come into contact with them, Van Kerkhove said. She acknowledged that some studies have indicated asymptomatic or presymptomatic spread in nursing homes and in household settings. 

More research and data are needed to “truly answer” the question of whether the coronavirus can spread widely through asymptomatic carriers, Van Kerkhove added.

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing,” she said. “They’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

If asymptomatic spread proves to not be a main driver of coronavirus transmission, the policy implications could be tremendous. A report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published on April 1 cited the “potential for presymptomatic transmission” as a reason for the importance of social distancing. 

“These findings also suggest that to control the pandemic, it might not be enough for only persons with symptoms to limit their contact with others because persons without symptoms might transmit infection,” the CDC study said.

To be sure, asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread of the virus appears to still be happening, Van Kerkhove said but remains rare. That finding has important implications for how to screen for the virus and limit its spread. 

“What we really want to be focused on is following the symptomatic cases,” Van Kerkhove said. “If we actually followed all of the symptomatic cases, isolated those cases, followed the contacts and quarantined those contacts, we would drastically reduce” the outbreak.

Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren’t driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections. 

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn’t have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it’s being transmitted. 

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

Government responses should focus on detecting and isolating infected people with symptoms, and tracking anyone who might have come into contact with them, Van Kerkhove said. She acknowledged that some studies have indicated asymptomatic or presymptomatic spread in nursing homes and in household settings. 

More research and data are needed to “truly answer” the question of whether the coronavirus can spread widely through asymptomatic carriers, Van Kerkhove added.

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing,” she said. “They’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

If asymptomatic spread proves to not be a main driver of coronavirus transmission, the policy implications could be tremendous. A report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published on April 1 cited the “potential for presymptomatic transmission” as a reason for the importance of social distancing. 

“These findings also suggest that to control the pandemic, it might not be enough for only persons with symptoms to limit their contact with others because persons without symptoms might transmit infection,” the CDC study said.

To be sure, asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread of the virus appears to still be happening, Van Kerkhove said but remains rare. That finding has important implications for how to screen for the virus and limit its spread. 

“What we really want to be focused on is following the symptomatic cases,” Van Kerkhove said. “If we actually followed all of the symptomatic cases, isolated those cases, followed the contacts and quarantined those contacts, we would drastically reduce” the outbreak.
This would be huge for me and my view on opening schools back up.  If you can see this thing coming it makes a really big difference in how you engage others around you.  I wish we didn't have to have other countries walking us through this, but I'm glad they're there.

This would be huge for me and my view on opening schools back up.  If you can see this thing coming it makes a really big difference in how you engage others around you.  I wish we didn't have to have other countries walking us through this, but I'm glad they're there.
Lots of debate on this one today.  I have no idea.  What I do know is that China got the virus under control by testing everyone for fever and quarantining those away from their homes.  

They never seemed to worry about a massive number of asymptomatic folks.

This info you linked comes on the heels of some articles I’ve read over the last few weeks about super spreaders and about there being a very defined time when people can spread the disease.

Lots of debate on this one today.  I have no idea.  What I do know is that China got the virus under control by testing everyone for fever and quarantining those away from their homes.  

They never seemed to worry about a massive number of asymptomatic folks.

This info you linked comes on the heels of some articles I’ve read over the last few weeks about super spreaders and about there being a very defined time when people can spread the disease.
They also shut everyone down...like, completely down.  I have friends living near the south China sea.  If people in this country want to understand what "shutdown" really means they can read his blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welp.

Had a surprise patient turn up positive at the hospital yesterday.  Didn't have enough exposure time to meet criteria for quarantine per the CDC guidelines.  I was already scheduled to be off the rest of this week.  Getting tested Friday.  

Pretty disappointing update from this. Apparently this does not include presymptomatic people. So they were distinguishing between asymptomatic and presymptomatic. Which - from a practical perspective - is meaningless. Doesn't help us at all.

Welp.

Had a surprise patient turn up positive at the hospital yesterday.  Didn't have enough exposure time to meet criteria for quarantine per the CDC guidelines.  I was already scheduled to be off the rest of this week.  Getting tested Friday.  
Stay safe, guy. Hope everything turns out for the best. I'm doing work at a hospital in Florida, and everyone's required to wear masks, but hospitals are germ factories as it is. At least we're sealed off from the Covid floors.

Pretty disappointing update from this. Apparently this does not include presymptomatic people. So they were distinguishing between asymptomatic and presymptomatic. Which - from a practical perspective - is meaningless. Doesn't help us at all.
The difference is that you can use contact tracing (well, in countries where they do that) to determine presymptomatic spread.  In real-time, as you note, it's not helpful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/08/14-states-puerto-rico-hit-their-highest-seven-day-average-new-covid-19-infections-since-june/

Since the start of June, 14 states and Puerto Rico have recorded their highest-ever seven-day average of new coronavirus cases since the pandemic began.

The increase of coronavirus cases in counties with fewer than 60,000 people is part of the trend of new infections surging across the rural United States. 
In Texas, North and South Carolina, California, Oregon, Arkansas, Mississippi, Utah and Arizona, there are an increasing number of patients under supervised care since the holiday weekend because of covid-19 infections.

From twitter - 

BREAKING: For the 3rd day in a row Texas set a new record for hospitalizations. Texas has now seen hospitalizations increase 42 percent since Memorial Day.

We now have 2,153 people in hospitals - that's an increase of 97 since yesterday and 642 since Memorial Day. State is still reporting about 13,600 hospital beds available. Gov. Abbott's office assured me we have enough beds to deal with this increase right now.

Over last 7-days we are now averaging 1,927 hospitalizations per day. During previous 7 days that was 1,737 per day. Before that? 1,601 per day. Clearly upward trend.

--

This is really a difficult call. At what point do you pull back on opening up? Difficult balancing job for the Governor.

The hospital I'm working at is doing a trial Covid tent setup, and we had to move a trailer generator over to it so they could test it out for a few days. The fact they're doing this now instead of a few months ago makes me slightly suspicious, but at any rate, an ounce of prevention.

From twitter - 

BREAKING: For the 3rd day in a row Texas set a new record for hospitalizations. Texas has now seen hospitalizations increase 42 percent since Memorial Day.

We now have 2,153 people in hospitals - that's an increase of 97 since yesterday and 642 since Memorial Day. State is still reporting about 13,600 hospital beds available. Gov. Abbott's office assured me we have enough beds to deal with this increase right now.

Over last 7-days we are now averaging 1,927 hospitalizations per day. During previous 7 days that was 1,737 per day. Before that? 1,601 per day. Clearly upward trend.

--

This is really a difficult call. At what point do you pull back on opening up? Difficult balancing job for the Governor.
You don't.  Any effects of opening up slowly were clouded over with all the protest gatherings the past two weeks. Unless the protesters are willing to self quaranteen the cat it out of the bag.  Might as well open up everything because we aren't shutting down again.

From twitter - 

--

The first shutdown was fear, and the fact that everyone else was doing it.  There was a lot of unknown and the virus was growing exponentially.

The second shutdowns likely won't be as widespread, likely won't have federal backing, but will still be necessary.

The good news about the second wave is that at the moment, the growth is nowhere near the  previous exponential rate.  It's a slow, creeping growth, mostly because people are being very cautious and there aren't huge groups gathered.

Of course, the protests potentially change everything.  They could put us in a scenario where we have an exponential growth rate.

The first shutdown was fear, and the fact that everyone else was doing it.  There was a lot of unknown and the virus was growing exponentially.

The second shutdowns likely won't be as widespread, likely won't have federal backing, but will still be necessary.

The good news about the second wave is that at the moment, the growth is nowhere near the  previous exponential rate.  It's a slow, creeping growth, mostly because people are being very cautious and there aren't huge groups gathered.

Of course, the protests potentially change everything.  They could put us in a scenario where we have an exponential growth rate.
I don't think you are reading the politics of this well enough. It has become way too political for a red or purple state to go back into a shutdown.

I don't think you are reading the politics of this well enough. It has become way too political for a red or purple state to go back into a shutdown.
I really hope this isn’t true.  If a red state is devastated with Covid, I can’t imagine them not taking steps to stop the spread, when they’ve done it before. I may be naive, and totally wrong, but I think 50/50 states would go back into a shutdown if the Virus spread enough in their state. 

So, I was not aware of this until just a minute ago and not sure if it really applies here, but it seems as good a place as any given it's part of the response.  There are 30ish million people that STILL haven't gotten their "stimulus" checks.....WTF??  :lol:  

So, I was not aware of this until just a minute ago and not sure if it really applies here, but it seems as good a place as any given it's part of the response.  There are 30ish million people that STILL haven't gotten their "stimulus" checks.....WTF??  :lol:  
I got a whole $155 on some debit card and a nice letter from Trump asking me to thank him last week. I thought it was a hoax so I had to look it up.

My M&FIL are part of that group.  She's out of work, his salary cut in half w/o option of unemployment.  I paid their mortgage this month.

Not disclosing PPP recipients..

No one can defend this right? This I’d assume is finally an issue where we have 100% agreement that the Trump administration is totally out of bounds. 

No one can defend this right? This I’d assume is finally an issue where we have 100% agreement that the Trump administration is totally out of bounds. 
No need to defend anymore...just ignore it and hope it goes away.

That seems to be the play with so many things.

I'm sorry, I may be having a brain fart but, what does PPP stand for in this case?

Jim Tankersley @jimtankersley

Senate Republicans on the Joint Economic Committee created a tracker to guide states in deciding whether to reopen. It has four criteria. Zero states pass all four. (Though many counties do)

https://t.co/6QAQXod4NA?amp=1
NY state passes all 4. They have 37.5 cases per million, it says under 40 passes the threshold. But for some reason it has a red X next to that metric. Perhaps it's old. The other 3 are green check marks. That was the only state I checked. 

Jim Tankersley @jimtankersley

Senate Republicans on the Joint Economic Committee created a tracker to guide states in deciding whether to reopen. It has four criteria. Zero states pass all four. (Though many counties do)

https://t.co/6QAQXod4NA?amp=1

NY state passes all 4. They have 37.5 cases per million, it says under 40 passes the threshold. But for some reason it has a red X next to that metric. Perhaps it's old. The other 3 are green check marks. That was the only state I checked. 
OK I see why NY isn't passing that metric. Passing is actually based on a 7-day average of 40 cases per million or less, it says so in the footnote. NY's 7 day average is above 40 per million, even though they are currently 37.5 for the past day, which is manageable by their definition.

MSNBC now reporting that President Trump has told his campaign he doesn’t want anyone in the audience in Tulsa to wear masks. He wants to look out and see a packed hall, mask-free. He wants the same for his convention speech in Jacksonville. 

Meanwhile Dr. Fauci (remember him?) just gave an interview on ABC in which he stated that attending a political rally is very dangerous and if you absolutely insist on going, wear a mask. 
Posted this in the Trump thread. 

MSNBC now reporting that President Trump has told his campaign he doesn’t want anyone in the audience in Tulsa to wear masks. He wants to look out and see a packed hall, mask-free. He wants the same for his convention speech in Jacksonville. 

Meanwhile Dr. Fauci (remember him?) just gave an interview on ABC in which he stated that attending a political rally is very dangerous and if you absolutely insist on going, wear a mask. 
Posted this in the Trump thread. 
Trump will blame the inevitable COVID spike on all the BLM protests. It's the perfect cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread