What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren't those two essentially immersed in the treatment of multiple COVID 19 patients? That seems like an avoidable situation.
Exposure is exposure. Many young, healthy individuals will be exposed. Very few will die and many likely won’t even show symptoms. But they can spread it to people who are. That’s the risk that comes with not having enough tests.

I’m personally at high risk for exposure as a retail pharmacist. I’m at the front line but not worried about my personal health. I am scared that retirement community near us and several nursing homes that we serve could have outbreaks that I contribute to the spread.

The lack of test is a bad mistake by the government which they seem to have come close to resolving. It was certainly not deliberate and I can’t imagine Trump had anything to do with it. 
Is the notion that the US rejected the WHO's test and decided to create their own true?  If so, whose decision was that?  That set us back months, if I understand correctly.

I’m personally at high risk for exposure as a retail pharmacist. I’m at the front line but not worried about my personal health. I am scared that retirement community near us and several nursing homes that we serve could have outbreaks that I contribute to the spread.
Have you been tested?

Exposure is exposure. Many young, healthy individuals will be exposed. Very few will die and many likely won’t even show symptoms. But they can spread it to people who are. That’s the risk that comes with not having enough tests.

What you just described, avoiding and taking precautions with old people, is much more manageable and reasonable that shut the whole world down. It's also exactly what I proposed.

His response has been a debacle.  It's been interesting to watch the first real issue that he cant make about himself.  Every decision he has made is in his own self.interest and it won't work in this case

The province of BC with 3 million people and 30 cases has tested more people than the usa and has mapped every single case.  

Canada just rolled out a stimulus package that ensures real families won't be burdened by this by allowing no wait employment insurance for people that are off.   Italy has put a hold on mortgage payments.  

Trump has pulled any ability to track the disease, been short on test kits and is pushing for a payroll tax cut that will do nothing but make the rich richer. Now in a profound case of stupidity he is trying to somehow tie this to his border wall to make it about himself.  He has done nothing but claim it's a hoax and cry about every one being out to get him.  The key important factor is he has shown no leadership on the issue.  Hes letting it simmer and boil and as this thread consistently shows his supporters are buying into the message of who cares it's a flu.  That alone is going to kill people and thats 100 percent on him

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Trump say yesterday he won't even be getting tested? Even after the Gaetz thing?

Even if he wasn't in contact with anyone, he should be the first person to take a test.

Leading. By example. You know, leadership.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Trump say yesterday he won't even be getting tested? Even after the Gaetz thing?

Even if he wasn't in contact with anyone, he should be the first person to take a test.

Leading. By example. You know, leadership.
Hey it's no big deal

Spread it everywhere.  It's practically good for people

You're about to see it.
I have kind of been living it for the last week. Seattle seems to be a couple weeks ahead of the US in terms of infected people. 

The details are important. What do you to keep this from spreading too quickly?

Ask people to work from home - you do that crush small businesses around those work places.

Do you cancel concerts? 

Do you cancel trade shows? conventions?

Was just watching CNBC, Providence St Joseph CEO was on the air. They asked him how many tests they're administering (keep in mind, this is predominately hospitals in Ca & Washington), his response was "not enough." Here is what he said that really caught my attention:

A lot of firefighters in Washington are quarantined, none to date have been adequately tested.  
Their choice of music is awesome and good reminder of being old. Never in my life did I think I would hear Iron Man as bumper music for a financial network when I was a young man. 

I have kind of been living it for the last week. Seattle seems to be a couple weeks ahead of the US in terms of infected people. 

Ask people to work from home - you do that crush small businesses around those work places.

Do you cancel concerts? 

Pearl Jam cancelled their tour because of CV.

Pearl Jam cancelled their tour because of CV.
Coachella, SXSW, and Ultra festivals have all been "postponed".

Which is pretty messed up, because I know at least in Ultra's case they're not offering refunds. They're offering tickets to 2021 or 2022 instead. Something about festival insurance not covering a pandemic.

Coachella, SXSW, and Ultra festivals have all been "postponed".

Which is pretty messed up, because I know at least in Ultra's case they're not offering refunds. They're offering tickets to 2021 or 2022 instead. Something about festival insurance not covering a pandemic.
Yeah I knew some of the big festivals have cancelled but PJ is the first individual band that I've heard of.

I have tickets to a concert this Friday that I'm hesitating on, but will most likely go.

Have you been tested?
No cases yet in my direct area (that I know of) and without the presumptive exposure, I don’t think I’d be able to. But I think we should be frequently tested to get us home and away from the high risk people if we test positive to limit the spread we contribute to.

No cases yet in my direct area (that I know of) and without the presumptive exposure, I don’t think I’d be able to. But I think we should be frequently tested to get us home and away from the high risk people if we test positive to limit the spread we contribute to.
OK

Thanks

What you just described, avoiding and taking precautions with old people, is much more manageable and reasonable that shut the whole world down. It's also exactly what I proposed.
‘Shutting the whole world down’ is the result of these precautions not working or not properly implemented. In order for them to work we need the public to properly educated and tests to be readily available. How we’ve handled this so far has been horrible and may have missed out on the chance to stop mass closures.

Do you cancel concerts? 

Pretty much all this honestly.  Any of those larger events should be avoided if you don't want to be sick IMO.  If you can work from home, do it....if not, be cautious and aware of your surroundings washing your hands A LOT.

Mr Anonymous said:
Serious question because I honestly don't know - Has any person under 50 who was otherwise healthy prior to contracting this actually died from it?
Yes.  I’ve seen some reports, specifically about a healthy 32 yr old man, but it’s been a few days so I’d have to do some google-fu to find it.  Also the original Dr from China who was seeing things but being ignored died, I think he was in his 40’s if I remember.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if we find out that the reason the most MAGA-iest GOP officials keep adding Wuhan or Chinese in front of Coronavirus isn’t because of racism, but because Trump told them to do this to constantly remind everyone that it’s not his fault.

shader said:
Please let me know where that 8.3 billion has gone that has directly had an impact on this virus?  Please show your work.  Maybe they WILL put it to use, but thus far what has been done?

South Korea immediately spent 25 billion dollars and setup drive-thru testing centers all over their country.

What has the USA done?  

Check out this twitter thread from Andy Slavitt, the former ACA head for Obama:

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1237727569342054407?s=20

The federal government is doing nothing.  They haven't passed any laws, they aren't testing, they aren't keeping track of how many viruses are in the country (every other country in the world does this, in the USA all the states self-report), the head of the government says it's no big deal.  Nothing.  They've done nothing.  Passing a bill to spend 8 billion dollars might give them the ability to do something in the future, but as of now, that hasn't happened.
This!  

And where does all this start?  At the top.  Trump has worked infinitely harder trying to get or find funding for his wall.  It’s a disgrace how he’s handling this. 

I agree with @shader except I would add that Trump's accomplishments throughout his presidency, with the exception of the tax bill, is the equivalent of repeatedly hitting ctrl+alt+d

ETA

I'm guessing the reason nothing has been done is because most of the people that would implement the processes for testing and treatment have been forced out or quit.  Posters like @TobiasFunkehave been warning the board about this for years now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
so apparently the witnesses testifying in front of House Oversight Committee have been asked to leave the hearing and come to the White House

Going back to the payroll tax thing - another darkly amusing aspect of that "solution" is that if things continue at this pace with this administration's inability to curtail the spread of the disease and step up treatment facilities, as things get shut down people will be losing their jobs - so not having a payroll tax anymore will be useless to them and have little impact on improving things.

Remember, listen to the experts - not the media nor politicians.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, issued a disturbing warning during a White House briefing Tuesday: Americans everywhere need to change the way they live their lives. Right now.

"We would like the country to realize that as a nation, we can't be doing the kinds of things we were doing a few months ago. It doesn't matter if you're in a state that has no cases or one case," Fauci said, referring Americans to the new federal Coronavirus.gov website for details on precautions to take at home, at work and out in the world.

"If and when the infections will come -- and they will come, sorry to say, sad to say -- when you're dealing with an infectious disease... we want to be where the infection is going to be, as well as where it is," Fauci said.

Quick! Somebody find out who he and his wife donated to in 2016! He might just be out to get Trump!

Just horrible. I'm hoping it's not something horrible or urgent for sure, but this certainly sounds like the WH preventing public servants from testifying to control the messaging.

This just happened with Dir. DNI Grenell (hard to type) yesterday. Same day he was going to testify he suddenly said nope he's not testifying. No reason given.

@Widbil83& Co., it is really funny hearing the likes of Hannity and WH officials praising the work of "career" government officials in this crisis. Here we see this playing out in real time, how important they are and how their having served in other administrations demonstrates their neutrality and dedication to country, not the opposite, that is as evidence showing their untrustworthiness.

@Widbil83& Co., it is really funny hearing the likes of Hannity and WH officials praising the work of "career" government officials in this crisis. Here we see this playing out in real time, how important they are and how they're having served in other administrations demonstrates their neutrality, not the opposite, that is showing their untrustworthiness.
Well until they go off script, then they are branded never Trumpers or Do Nothing Democrats.

Well until they go off script, then they are branded never Trumpers or Do Nothing Democrats.
Messonnier, Birx and Fauci have been terrific IMO and I certainly hope Trump supporters continue to see their value. I've never seen nor heard of a public testimony cut off in the middle like that.

Her previous tweet from an hour ago:

Erin Banco

@ErinBanco

This hearing has been remarkable. Dr. Fauci publicly contradicting talking points from WH and VP's office. Really underlying the severity of the situation we're in right now. Turning point, in my mind. First public appearance where we're really getting somewhat of a full picture.
Huh, contradicted Trump then he got dragged into the principal's office.

Curiouser and couriouser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread