Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
James Daulton

Government Response To The Coronavirus

58 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

so after a month off, I see we are in even more dire straits as  a nation, a rudderless ship. Sigh.

The more things change...

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, supermike80 said:

All cable shows without question.  Local news, less but it's still there.

Print media, some.....depends...but yes a lot of it is biased.

As far as trustworthy media goes, I've found that Reuters, BBC, and NPR is about it. I cannot trust the President or his Press Secretary at all.

Edited by kwille

1 hour ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

so after a month off, I see we are in even more dire straits as  a nation, a rudderless ship. Sigh.

If the only way to gauge that was coming to the PSF you must be relatively unaffected.  

• Laughing 1

The President of the United States just withdrew from the WHO in the middle of the worst pandemic of our lifetime and the virus raging across his country?

Are you ####### kidding me?!

This man is a danger to all Americans.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwille said:

As far as trustworthy media goes, I've found that Reuters, BBC, and NPR is about it. I cannot the President or his Press Secretary at all.

I like Reuters and bbc.  Cant say about npr

32 minutes ago, zoonation said:

The President of the United States just withdrew from the WHO in the middle of the worst pandemic of our lifetime and the virus raging across his country?

Are you ####### kidding me?!

This man is a danger to all Americans.  

How is withdrawing dangerous. 

Name 3 things 

• Laughing 1

38 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Name 3 things 

It hampers international cooperation, it reduces the ability to study pandemics in other places, and it leaves us in the dark when it comes to medical breakthroughs in other nations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Kal El said:

It hampers international cooperation, it reduces the ability to study pandemics in other places, and it leaves us in the dark when it comes to medical breakthroughs in other nations.

Name three more things 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

10 minutes ago, Green Balloons said:

Name three more things 

we don’t need WHO, we’ve got Jared

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Green Balloons said:

Name three more things 

Birds, bees, and sand

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Gator said:

I am sure WHO has problems.  But it sure is disappointing that the US is not sticking around to be part of the solution.

I think it's likely that come January, the US is back to paying its dues and fulfilling its requirements to be a part of the WHO.

It’s like we don’t even have a President. He is demanding schools open but he is offering no suggestions or help and is saying not to worry about it because it’s so far away. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Looks like Dane Co is going the route of requiring masks anywhere inside.  I guess Milwaukee is considering it. 

Cool, but still what's the point in this being a county by county thing? 

11 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

It’s like we don’t even have a President. He is demanding schools open but he is offering no suggestions or help and is saying not to worry about it because it’s so far away. 

Someone had the point that it is a political calculation as he could take credit for opening schools up.  Could backfire big time since schools will open long enough for cases to fire up before voting day.  

38 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Looks like Dane Co is going the route of requiring masks anywhere inside.  I guess Milwaukee is considering it. 

Cool, but still what's the point in this being a county by county thing? 

Because someone has to lead. 

The mask issue is the same as SIP.  When the federal government abdicates its responsibility, the states have to act.  It's not as coordinated a response, but it's a response.   When state government abdicates its responsibility, local governments have to act.  It's still not anywhere close to ideal, but it's a response. 

The abdication of federal leadership at the federal level and among some states, both in messaging and in a coordinated response, has been catastrophic.  We are just getting started. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

In Broward,  "a school survey of parents in Broward so far shows 26% of them prefer online learning, 37% the hybrid model and 34% the in-school model."

In Miami-Dade,  "around 60% of parents prefer the in-school model, while around 30% of parents prefer the online model."

These are the 6th and 4th largest school districts in the USA. The governor has "mandated" that schools be open 5 days a week, with plans approved by Tallahassee. County officials say they'll only open if its safe. Local middle and high schools are toying with 2 days on, 2 virtual to deal with spacing requirements. FIU is discussing 4 class options, including asynchronous classes. The preschool my roommate works at is restricting class size to 8 (was about double last year) with 1 instead of 2 aides, and smaller administration, but her contract has a 10-day termination clause if not enough students attend, which could occur if there is a COVID outbreak. Many jobs depend on having preschools open, but the hospital where I work closed their preschool for the 2nd time due to some positive cases. FIU will offer 4 class options including asynchronous. 

There is a lot of uncertainty from the preschool to the university level. 

What's happening in Michigan?

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/07/07/educational-leaders-in-miami-dade-broward-respond-to-state-mandate-ordering-all-schools-open-this-fall/

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Name 3 things 

1.  Tells the world that America won’t participate in  developing a global solution to a current threat. 

2.  Neuters America’s ability to lead/participate in global pandemic prevention. 

3.  The man who ordered the withdrawal only did so because he looks bad and must blame someone (evidence of narcissistic decision making).

Edited by zoonation
  • Like 8

Martin County in Florida is now requiring masks in public, with the potential of a $50 fine for first time violators. There's exceptions(during outdoor physical activity, when interacting with a deaf person who needs to read lips, etc), but I still think it should be statewide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kal El said:

I don't know what "hampers international cooperation" really means but that seems vague to me. 

The WHO isn't going away so nothing is reduced

The last one is funny to me.  Somehow, the WHO finds a cure for something significant.  Then says "Sorry USA< you can;t have this cure"  yeah right.

All three of these answers are weak to me

5 hours ago, zoonation said:

1.  Tells the world that America won’t participate in  developing a global solution to a current threat. 

2.  Neuters America’s ability to lead/participate in global pandemic prevention. 

3.  The man who ordered the withdrawal only did so because he looks bad and must blame someone (evidence of narcissistic decision making).

1) It tells the world we are not part of an organization we feel is suspect in it's alliances and ability to actually matter.  That's it.

2) Doesn't neuter us one bit.  We still have plenty of well funded medical organizations in this country and can fund those rather than an organization that has shown to be somewhat ineffective.  And as I posted earlier, we are not all of a sudden left off the cure list nor would we hide our breakthroughs with the world.   Participation in the WHO changes none of that.

3) This one is irrelevant and not on topic.

So 2 of 3 and the 2 you gave aren't very strong.

See?   Lots of butt hurt over this, but very real understanding as to why.

7 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

GOOD!! Cause you know what, it isn't his job to "help"  Man. Stop looking to some elected official to tell you what to do..PLEASE.  This position REALLY makes me curious.

Make your own decisions, forge your own path.  

• Laughing 2

What...umm...what is his job?  As the sole nationally elected position, what is his role when it comes to public health and a national battle against a worldwide pandemic?  

I can’t turn to the media, they’re largely and collectively biased supposedly, the president nor elected officials should be looked to for guidance...where do I turn to gather information with which to make my own decisions and forge my own path in this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

GOOD!! Cause you know what, it isn't his job to "help"  Man. Stop looking to some elected official to tell you what to do..PLEASE.  This position REALLY makes me curious.

So Trump has also abdicated the responsibility of "Leader of the free world" huh?

12 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

So Trump has also abdicated the responsibility of "Leader of the free world" huh?

That's always been a ridiculous moniker.  So yeah.  I'm fine with that.  

16 minutes ago, That one guy said:

What...umm...what is his job?  As the sole nationally elected position, what is his role when it comes to public health and a national battle against a worldwide pandemic?  

I can’t turn to the media, they’re largely and collectively biased supposedly, the president nor elected officials should be looked to for guidance...where do I turn to gather information with which to make my own decisions and forge my own path in this?

You seriously cannot do this on your own?

This is a great example of what's wrong with this country.  

49 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I’m looking for a leader to tell others what to do (along with me) so we all can be safe and hopefully resume normalcy.  

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

I’m looking for a leader to tell others what to do (along with me) so we all can be safe and hopefully resume normalcy.  

I know.   Trust me I know this.  

I think @supermike80 is on to something.

We should simply abolish the position of President as unnecessary.

And, I sure as hell don't need a 100 old white dudes telling me how to live - so lets get rid of the Senate.

Does anyone really think a group of 9 Ivy League educated senior citizens have any clue about the day-to-day life in the real world?  Get rid of the Supreme Court.

I can't be bothered listening to some congresswoman from New York who knows nothing about my situation - there is no point in her having a vote over my life.  Get rid of congress.

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, The Gator said:

I think @supermike80 is on to something.

We should simply abolish the position of President as unnecessary.

And, I sure as hell don't need a 100 old white dudes telling me how to live - so lets get rid of the Senate.

Does anyone really think a group of 9 Ivy League educated senior citizens have any clue about the day-to-day life in the real world?  Get rid of the Supreme Court.

I can't be bothered listening to some congresswoman from New York who knows nothing about my situation - there is no point in her having a vote over my life.  Get rid of congress.

Yeah great reply but no.  You really pulled something there big fella.  

Edited by supermike80

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

I don't know what "hampers international cooperation" really means but that seems vague to me. 

The WHO isn't going away so nothing is reduced

The last one is funny to me.  Somehow, the WHO finds a cure for something significant.  Then says "Sorry USA< you can;t have this cure"  yeah right.

All three of these answers are weak to me

Ok, so riddle me this: what 3 things does the US gain by leaving the WHO?

Just now, Kal El said:

1) More money to fund medical research with entities that are potentially more aligned with the US and it's needs.

2) Potentially less corruption due to the questions about the WHO being led by China and being dishonest.

3) Pressure on the WHO, if it is to be respected, to clean up their act so the US can rejoin and believe in them as a legit entity.

• Like 2

Just now, Kal El said:

1.  No longer worried about getting hit in the head with a twirling mic

2.  Less chance of going prematurely deaf

3. Chance to explore solo career

• Like 3
  • Laughing 3

1 minute ago, Kal El said:

Oh Oh I'll start:

1.  Own the libs

2.  No longer confused with the band

3.  Never question Father Trump's informed, well thought out decisions 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

1) More money to fund medical research with entities that are potentially more aligned with the US and it's needs.

2) Potentially less corruption due to the questions about the WHO being led by China and being dishonest.

3) Pressure on the WHO, if it is to be respected, to clean up their act so the US can rejoin and believe in them as a legit entity.

Those are all terrible answers. The US is part of a global community, whether Trump likes it or not. Whoever is allegedly "in charge" of the WHO still has to answer to health care professionals around the world. Besides, I'd rather deal with them than our own system, which is designed to rob people blind and put them in debt from which they'll never recover.

• Like 1

Name those entities and their role in worldwide disease surveillance and epidemic monitoring.

How has the WHO been led my China?  I'm not talking about being misled by China, but rather that China exerted undue influence over the WHO.  

39 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

What specific measures should the WHO do to "clean up their act"?  What would make you believe in them "as a legit entity"?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kal El said:

Those are all terrible answers. The US is part of a global community, whether Trump likes it or not. Whoever is allegedly "in charge" of the WHO still has to answer to health care professionals around the world. Besides, I'd rather deal with them than our own system, which is designed to rob people blind and put them in debt from which they'll never recover.

Oh OK.  

22 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Trump has a contentious history with health organizations, including our own FDA and CDC. Funding was reduced for the CDC's Global Health Protection program in 2019, which reduced CDC staff in China. This was not about corruption, it wasn't about a health strategy, it was about Trump's misguided approach to MAGA, against the recommendations of all of our health experts. Notably, Trump always tries to cut funding to NIH, but fortunately Congress holds the purse strings. I'm not saying we would've necessarily been better off under a Hillary administration, because the pandemic is complicated,  but the political optics look bad for Trump, as seen by polls. From 1 person infected, to 5 people to 135,000 dead, the public has lost their faith in Trump's ability to lead. Trump's maskphobia will not be treated well by history.

• Like 4

Florida at 80% hospital capacity. Miami Dade at 90%. These are record numbers and the percentages have doubled in 2 weeks. Same for Texas. Same for Arizona. 

But hey people need to figure this out by themselves. We don’t need a federal response, 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Florida at 80% hospital capacity. Miami Dade at 90%. These are record numbers and the percentages have doubled in 2 weeks. Same for Texas. Same for Arizona. 

But hey people need to figure this out by themselves. We don’t need a federal response, 

Correct.  100% correct.  Now you are finally getting it.

Just now, supermike80 said:

Correct.  100% correct.  Now you are finally getting it.

Oh I get it. I regard it as nonsensical, incredibly harmful, the main reason we’re in the situation we are in right now, and a direct cause of thousands of unnecessary deaths and human suffering in this country. But I’ve always understood the argument.  

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Oh I get it. I regard it as nonsensical, incredibly harmful, the main reason we’re in the situation we are in right now, and a direct cause of thousands of unnecessary deaths and human suffering in this country. But I’ve always understood the argument.  

Oh I know you do, and you might be partially right.  It's a shame that this is true..because many people cannot think for themselves.  

Posted (edited)

It is listed that the US posted infection rate is at 3.05 million and deaths attributed to COVID is at 133K for a death rate of 4.3%.

Many people are saying that the TRUE infection rate would be ten times what is listed, or 30.5 million.

Now, I'm not a mathematician (but I play one on TV)... If this is true, wouldn't that make the death rate closer to .43%?

Edited by Opie

8 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

In Broward,  "a school survey of parents in Broward so far shows 26% of them prefer online learning, 37% the hybrid model and 34% the in-school model."

In Miami-Dade,  "around 60% of parents prefer the in-school model, while around 30% of parents prefer the online model."

These are the 6th and 4th largest school districts in the USA. The governor has "mandated" that schools be open 5 days a week, with plans approved by Tallahassee. County officials say they'll only open if its safe. Local middle and high schools are toying with 2 days on, 2 virtual to deal with spacing requirements. FIU is discussing 4 class options, including asynchronous classes. The preschool my roommate works at is restricting class size to 8 (was about double last year) with 1 instead of 2 aides, and smaller administration, but her contract has a 10-day termination clause if not enough students attend, which could occur if there is a COVID outbreak. Many jobs depend on having preschools open, but the hospital where I work closed their preschool for the 2nd time due to some positive cases. FIU will offer 4 class options including asynchronous. 

There is a lot of uncertainty from the preschool to the university level. 

What's happening in Michigan?

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/07/07/educational-leaders-in-miami-dade-broward-respond-to-state-mandate-ordering-all-schools-open-this-fall/

Depends where you are at. Each district is working on their own things. Some are already offering online only options. Everyone is kind of in wait and see mode. It’s such a fluid situation. The Governor has issued various plans based on the threat level we are facing. I’m not really paying too much attention until mid August since it’s so fluid. Right now I’m just doing my part by wearing a mask, limiting my public exposure and contact with people. 

4 minutes ago, Opie said:

It is listed that the US posted infection rate is at 3.05 million and deaths attributed to COVID is at 133K for a death rate of 4.3%.

Many people are saying that the TRUE infection rate would be ten times what is listed, or 30.5 million.

If this is true, wouldn't that make the death rate closer to .43%?

No, because even if what you say is true, some of the people that are currently infected will die.  Your death rate denominator shouldn’t be “number of people that have been infected” it should be “number of people infected that have either recovered or died already.”

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

If it’s not his job then why is he demanding schools open up? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Opie said:

Now, I'm not a mathematician (but I play one on TV)... If this is true, wouldn't that make the death rate closer to .43%?

Who are these "many people?" Also, I highly doubt that the rate is that high, because that's assuming that only 10% of the population that thinks they're sick is actually getting tested.