What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama tried to work with Republicans his entire first term until it was patently obvious they would give him nothing. He put entitlements on the table in exchange for taxes to balance the budget. Nothing. He made concession after concession to the right on the ACA. They simply moved the goalposts. Second term yep he went his own way but at that point the conservative “strategy” had been laid bare. 
I would agree with some of that (not the ACA - expecting compromise on something none of them voted for is not reasonable). But that's no different than the Democrats in Trump's first term. 

Anyway, all I'm trying to point out is Tim's "Captain Renault" gambling in Casablanca shtick.

Maybe one of the reasons we don't have a higher death toll among our children is that one of the first things we did is protect them by closing schools? 

for those wanting info on florida, you can generally trust clickorlando.com (for central florida anyway)....you can start there and usually find decent info for the area.

Maybe one of the reasons we don't have a higher death toll among our children is that one of the first things we did is protect them by closing schools? 
Maybe, but I suspect it has more to do with the ability of younger people to fight off the impacts of the virus.

The older we get, and/or the more broken down we get, the harder it is to fight off the effects on our own.

No

Schools didn't close until March 16 here in NYC. Covid was running rampant in NYC from at least mid February. 

The younger kids seem to be at lower risk for getting sick and for transmitting the virus than the older kids. 

>>When Science looked at reopening strategies from South Africa to Finland to Israel, some encouraging patterns emerged. Together, they suggest a combination of keeping student groups small and requiring masks and some social distancing helps keep schools and communities safe, and that younger children rarely spread the virus to one another or bring it home. But opening safely, experts agree, isn’t just about the adjustments a school makes. It’s also about how much virus is circulating in the community, which affects the likelihood that students and staff will bring COVID-19 into their classrooms.<<

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/school-openings-across-globe-suggest-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

The older we get, and/or the more broken down we get, the harder it is to fight off the effects on our own.
True. But also the younger you are you are also susceptible to not being able fight off things. Lots of young school age children have younger siblings at home not being exposed to the virus at the levels that will happen once school is in session. 

Mild cases of coronavirus may affect people's brains in unexpected ways.

Idea for fiction: a virus that makes people more susceptible to believing in conspiracy theories, and a political candidate who tries to exploit the phenomenon -- by opposing protective measures against the virus while simultaneously promoting self-serving conspiracy theories.
Infected People: "Everything should open back up!"

Science: "Then you need to wear a mask."

Infected People: "NO!"

This gives America First new meaning:

David Leonhardt

@DLeonhardt 6h

Arizona has had more new virus cases (per capita) over the last week than any country in the world. Here's a ranking that treats each U.S. state as a country:

1. Arizona

2. Florida

3. S. Carolina

4. Bahrain

5. Louisiana

6. Qatar

7. Oman

Posted this in the FFA thread a few minutes ago:

Just got the following from our school system:

The Superintendent’s plan calls for the school year to begin on Aug. 3, 2020 with all campuses open for Traditional In-Person learning for all grades; parents also will have the option to instead enroll their child in <county> Digital Learning program.  Parents who choose to keep their child home to participate in Digital Learning will be required by noon on Friday, July 17, to complete a Digital Learning Commitment Form to commit to the program from Aug. 3-Oct. 9 for elementary students; and from Aug. 3-Dec. 18 for middle and high school students.

I'm happy to have a choice at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Open schools? Fine. Realize that for it to be safe it may take more than just announcing they open, and fund it. Think it’s unsafe to reopen schools? Realize it may take additional WiFi hotspots and other investments, and fund it. Best yet for the economy and the education of the future generations, let’s do both, and fund it. Some kids will stay home, making school populations lower, making it safer, kids in rural areas have another option- if you can get them the connectivity. Need to fund this stuff instead of billions for stealth jets right now. 

Open schools? Fine. Realize that for it to be safe it may take more than just announcing they open, and fund it. Think it’s unsafe to reopen schools? Realize it may take additional WiFi hotspots and other investments, and fund it. Best yet for the economy and the education of the future generations, let’s do both, and fund it. Some kids will stay home, making school populations lower, making it safer, kids in rural areas have another option- if you can get them the connectivity. Need to fund this stuff instead of billions for stealth jets right now. 
I agree with what you're saying here overall. The time frame is a problem however, you can't reasonably expect to put all that into place in time to open things up Sept 1 (or thereabouts).

This only addresses the "easy" stuff.  Like I said, I'm mostly in favor of keeping schools closed but that's because it's easy for me.  What about the single mom who has to work to feed her 3 kids and can't afford someone to watch them if they are doing school from home?  I don't think it's a farfetched scenario and I think it's fair to say that those 3 kids are in jeopardy of being homeless, motherless or starving to death if schools aren't open.  Now, a good argument could be made that we can do things to remedy that but I'm just pointing out this is a very complex discussion.
The immediate solution to this is to temporarily expand and increase unemployment funding. An administration and congress that actually cared about all the citizens in this country would be working on solutions like this right now (really months ago, beyond the initial response). This country goes into significant debt for far less essential things than directly keeping people housed and fed. A parent's ability to provide for their children should not be a factor in whether or not we open up schools in the context of a pandemic. This is a massive failure on the part of the Trump administration and a great deal of Congress.

Snorkelson said:
Thankfully we're not paying for the wall we're putting up.  To stop all those caravans.

Betsy Devos on the risk of opening up schools:  “Everything is a risk. Astronauts take risks when they go into space.” 

Damn I’m sure this will make parents feel better. 
A quick google search shows that 3.2% of US astronauts died due to astronaut stuff (as opposed to old age or whatever). That is barely one kid per class, why is everyone always focusing on the dead kid and not the 29 live kids. /s

Slapdash said:
This gives America First new meaning:

David Leonhardt

@DLeonhardt 6h

Arizona has had more new virus cases (per capita) over the last week than any country in the world. Here's a ranking that treats each U.S. state as a country:

1. Arizona

2. Florida

3. S. Carolina

4. Bahrain

5. Louisiana

6. Qatar

7. Oman
You guys crack me up with these comparisons.  I swear. 

Imma just take a guess, just a guess that Bahrain, Qatar, and Oman might not have tested as many people.  I mean call me crazy but

Betsy Devos on the risk of opening up schools:  “Everything is a risk. Astronauts take risks when they go into space.” 

If she says things will be safe, you guys flip out.  if she says yes there are risks you guys flip out.

Saying "Open Up!" and not providing funding for it is a total lack of governing. The Feds should be providing states funding if they want schools to open so badly. Which we all want, by the way.

Saying "Open Up!" and not providing funding for it is a total lack of governing. The Feds should be providing states funding if they want schools to open so badly. Which we all want, by the way.
Um..If the feds don't provide the states funding to operate then why are you guys getting all upset that Trump is threatening to cut off funding?  

Come on man, putting the opening up schools decision aside comparing kids going to school with the risks Astronauts take is lunacy.   
It isn't a good comparison, but whatever.  

If she had come out and simply said "Going to school is risky"  Tim would have lost it anyway.    

Um..If the feds don't provide the states funding to operate then why are you guys getting all upset that Trump is threatening to cut off funding?  
I'm not sure who "you guys" is. Federal funding to the states isn't a matter of opinion, it's publicly available information, here's what Mike Pence said about it:

But Vice President Mike Pence conceded that most education spending does not come out of federal coffers during a briefing at Education Department headquarters on Wednesday. He said the Trump administration will instead work with Congress on the next coronavirus emergency relief bill on ways to push states to reopen schools.

“At this point, 90 percent of education funding comes from the states. Roughly 10 percent, depending on states' budgets, comes from the federal government,” Pence told reporters. “And as we work with Congress on the next round of state support, we're going to be looking for ways to give states a strong incentive and encouragement to get kids back to school.”

The Federal government should be providing additional funding to states is the point. 

More Info on Federal funds

Would it have been better if she said kids risk their lives going to school pre-Covid due to school shootings? Sad but actually true.

It isn't a good comparison, but whatever.  

If she had come out and simply said "Going to school is risky"  Tim would have lost it anyway.    
If Betsy DeVos says something stupid, posters will discuss it.  If Joe Biden says something stupid, posters will discuss it.  If Donald Trump says something stupid, posters will discuss it.

I think it's just something to accept here, not argue against. Unless you think it's actually not stupid and want to debate the merits. 

If Betsy DeVos says something stupid, posters will discuss it.  If Joe Biden says something stupid, posters will discuss it.  If Donald Trump says something stupid, posters will discuss it.

I think it's just something to accept here, not argue against. Unless you think it's actually not stupid and want to debate the merits. 
I think you missed the point.  But thanks anyway

I'm not sure who "you guys" is. Federal funding to the states isn't a matter of opinion, it's publicly available information, here's what Mike Pence said about it:

But Vice President Mike Pence conceded that most education spending does not come out of federal coffers during a briefing at Education Department headquarters on Wednesday. He said the Trump administration will instead work with Congress on the next coronavirus emergency relief bill on ways to push states to reopen schools.

“At this point, 90 percent of education funding comes from the states. Roughly 10 percent, depending on states' budgets, comes from the federal government,” Pence told reporters. “And as we work with Congress on the next round of state support, we're going to be looking for ways to give states a strong incentive and encouragement to get kids back to school.”

The Federal government should be providing additional funding to states is the point. 

More Info on Federal funds
"You guys" are the people on this board.

For funding, one of the things schools should absolutely have is an air filtration system rated MERV11 or higher, MERV13 preferably. That's what NY is requiring for malls. If it's good enough for shopping malls, it should be good enough for schools. I realize old infrastructure is an issue here. That's where the funding comes in.

This discussion on schools should really be focused on solutions. Because schools need to open up. That's not the question. The question is how to do it best.

Sending kids to school will raise the R0 of this virus.  That can hardly be debated.

But I think it's also important to understand that it's very important to society for kids to go to school. So the question is whether a state can handle it.

If you are Connecticut, I'd say they can afford it.

If you are Florida (or many other states), you can't afford anything that raises the R0. 

Sending kids to school will raise the R0 of this virus.  That can hardly be debated.

But I think it's also important to understand that it's very important to society for kids to go to school. So the question is whether a state can handle it.

If you are Connecticut, I'd say they can afford it.

If you are Florida (or many other states), you can't afford anything that raises the R0. 
NOBODY is saying kids should stop their education.   :wall:  My kids WANTED to physically go back to school in April.  I'm guessing they're not alone.

Trump, Devos and everyone else that keeps saying this isn't any big deal should volunteer to be injected with Covid.   Just when I didn't think I could hate these people any more.  You don't get to use my kids as guinea pigs you jackals.

As I posted here there's evidence that covid could cause brain damage.  NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!!!

You guys crack me up with these comparisons.  I swear. 

Imma just take a guess, just a guess that Bahrain, Qatar, and Oman might not have tested as many people.  I mean call me crazy but
Bahrain is one of the world leaders in tests per capita at about 3X the rate of USA. Qatar is also far better than the USA in tests per capita.

So Pence just said that Florida is flattening the curve lol.

The incompetence is unreal.  They have basically, based on no evidence, pushed all their chips in on the "this is going to go away" narrative.

As deaths keep rising and eventually spike, there will be nowhere to hide.

NOBODY is saying kids should stop their education.   :wall:  My kids WANTED to physically go back to school in April.  I'm guessing they're not alone.

Trump, Devos and everyone else that keeps saying this isn't any big deal should volunteer to be injected with Covid.   Just when I didn't think I could hate these people any more.  You don't get to use my kids as guinea pigs you jackals.

As I posted here there's evidence that covid could cause brain damage.  NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!!!
I don't understand your point, to be honest.  I agree that in states with outbreaks, kids shouldn't go to school.  But if a state doesn't have an outbreak, why not?  

That being said, if a parent isn't comfortable with it, pull them out and home school them until covid is over.  Home schools do a much better job than public schools of teaching remote, so that's my advice for any parent that doesn't want their kid to physically go to school.

I don't understand your point, to be honest.  I agree that in states with outbreaks, kids shouldn't go to school.  But if a state doesn't have an outbreak, why not?  

That being said, if a parent isn't comfortable with it, pull them out and home school them until covid is over.  Home schools do a much better job than public schools of teaching remote, so that's my advice for any parent that doesn't want their kid to physically go to school.
Yet Trump said today if schools don't open he's going to withhold funding.  Funny, that would be quite the feat but he still can't tell everyone to wear masks to slow the spread.

We have 130,000 dead Americans and all he can do is play Russian roulette with other people's lives and divide the country more and more.   He's a horrible, horrible, person. 

Yet Trump said today if schools don't open he's going to withhold funding.  Funny, that would be quite the feat but he still can't tell everyone to wear masks to slow the spread.

We have 130,000 dead Americans and all he can do is play Russian roulette with other people's lives and divide the country more and more.   He's a horrible, horrible, person. 
That's unbelievable.  I'm running out of adjectives to properly express myself on their response to this virus..

That's unbelievable.  I'm running out of adjectives to properly express myself on this point.
Right?  :hot:

Trump threatens to cut funding for schools, slams CDC reopening guidelines as too tough and expensive

The administration isn't saying that. Devos said all schools must be fully operational- no half time or anything like that. Then she said the local schools need to handle the details themselves. I know many districts here have been trying to create plans for themselves, some of which involved part time in-person instruction. That seems out the window now and those plans will have to be scrapped. I imagine the school administrators are beyond frustrated right now with the lack of clarity and direction throughout this process. 

The Commish said:
FYI:  CDC Guidelines for Schools...the ones that are "too strict":

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html
Those don't seem that strict really. What do we think was too strict? 

I doubt many would send their 8 year old kid into space. Not a great comparison there. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread