What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two teenage high school kids who are currently scheduled to go back to school in less than four weeks here in Georgia. We're planning to opt into full-time on-line learning for at least the first semester. My oldest and my wife have asthma and I'm not putting either of them at risk. 
is that still going to be an option? That seems up in the air now after what Devos said about how schools must return to fully normal operations. 

is that still going to be an option? That seems up in the air now after what Devos said about how schools must return to fully normal operations. 
She has as much power to "force" states to do things as the President does.  Oh...and by the way....neither of them can "cut funding" as they say either.  That's not their purview...it's just another idle threat, throwing meat to the base.  

She has as much power to "force" states to do things as the President does.  Oh...and by the way....neither of them can "cut funding" as they say either.  That's not their purview...it's just another idle threat, throwing meat to the base.  
He can steer how relief funding is directed or direct extra money to States that meet some guidelines he has. Obama did this with his Race to the Top. He offered relief money during the recession but it came with lots of strings. States fell over themselves to get into the lottery for relief money without giving much thought to what the strings were. Also it’s possible in States dominated by the GOP, leaders follow Trumps directives because they want to side with him for political reasons.

Listening to the head of the NEA (largest teachers union) it sounds like they will not return to work in the fall unless the schools have adequate funding provided for the necessary upgrades, which the House passed but which McConnell refuses to take up. 

If the teachers refuse to come back due to unsafe schools, how will the public react? I suspect they will support the teachers. 

I think Trump deserves some sort of "credit" for bizarre political instincts that seems to work out despite common wisdom it can't, but for the life of me I can't understand this drive to stick his nose into local decisions into school reopenings. Why even go near people's decisions about their children, and then doubling down by threatening withdrawal of funds for districts he personally disagrees with? All morality and science aside this seems like political stupidity. This is on top of the weird defense of statues and promotion of a national statue garden.

He can steer how relief funding is directed or direct extra money to States that meet some guidelines he has. Obama did this with his Race to the Top. He offered relief money during the recession but it came with lots of strings. States fell over themselves to get into the lottery for relief money without giving much thought to what the strings were. Also it’s possible in States dominated by the GOP, leaders follow Trumps directives because they want to side with him for political reasons.
Sure....there's a narrative going around down here that he's going to actively take funding away...the funds that have been allocated can't be taken away.  Might not be the same message you're hearing..I shouldn't have assumed.  If they want to go on record for why they are ignoring schools with future funds, that's on them..have at it.  It's a completely bizarre act given his complete unwillingness to lead on the pandemic as he punted to the states (I'm old enough to remember the idle threats towards the states too...until they pushed back).  For whatever reason, he thinks this is going to get him something.  What?  I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Trump deserves some sort of "credit" for bizarre political instincts that seems to work out despite common wisdom it can't, but for the life of me I can't understand this drive to stick his nose into local decisions into school reopenings. Why even go near people's decisions about their children, and then doubling down by threatening withdrawal of funds for districts he personally disagrees with? All morality and science aside this seems like political stupidity. This is on top of the weird defense of statues and promotion of a national statue garden.
He needs kids back in school to help the economy. He also thinks it might help him with suburban women. 

5 large hospitals in walking distance.  One of them is another Methodist facility.

I highly doubt this is an issue... and if it is - again the spin on the reporting is embarrassingly missing the mark, right?
To be fair to your side of the argument Texas did adopt a surprise medical billing protections starting this year.  So it could take patients out of the debate.   But the hospital insurance company relationships are still going to be in play and going to keep hospitals from sending patients to competitor systems absent some intervention (like what was being described in New York by Cuomo a few months ago). 

Sure....there's a narrative going around down here that he's going to actively take funding away...the funds that have been allocated can't be taken away.  Might not be the same message you're hearing..I shouldn't have assumed.  If they want to go on record for why they are ignoring schools with future funds, that's on them..have at it.  It's a completely bizarre act given his complete unwillingness to lead on the pandemic as he punted to the states (I'm old enough to remember the idle threats towards the states too...until they pushed back).  For whatever reason, he thinks this is going to get him something.  What?  I have no idea.
I think it’s simple. If schools are fully operational, things look and feel more normal which improves chances of winning the election.

He needs kids back in school to help the economy. He also thinks it might help him with suburban women. 
I think this is a red herring.  I understand the logic behind the belief, but I think its a false narrative.

When you think of the millions of retail and restaurant jobs that were lost - those jobs are not coming back simply because kids are in school.

I think it’s simple. If schools are fully operational, things look and feel more normal which improves chances of winning the election.
hasn't he also said that the country is not open unless the schools are open - or something on those lines?  So yeah, I think there is a motivation for him pre-November to get this going so he can say "look, I was in charge during this pandemic, and we got the country open within 6 months"

hasn't he also said that the country is not open unless the schools are open - or something on those lines?  So yeah, I think there is a motivation for him pre-November to get this going so he can say "look, I was in charge during this pandemic, and we got the country open within 6 months"
I think schools open makes things look like victory has been achieved. One of the first real signs that this was serious was schools closing so if they open back up, it will look like this is now behind us.

I think schools open makes things look like victory has been achieved. One of the first real signs that this was serious was schools closing so if they open back up, it will look like this is now behind us.
Right. Which is why he said if schools don't reopen it will be because the Democrats want to sabotage him.

The problem is, the schools won't reopen because % Positives, Hospitalizations and Deaths are increasing. Not because of "sabotage".

If you want schools to reopen, which the President clearly does, control the pandemic first. He's thinking backwards. 

I get the first part, the second part where Moms are asked to put their kids into a virus chipper to help the President is the kicker.
Yeah, I was going to respond with, "it's the economy, stupid" but the second part I'm iffy on.  I actually do think it plays well in certain parts of the country.  My wife said after our school system said they would offer in person classes starting in August she said a lot of Moms in her FB feed praised the idea.  She didn't get it and neither do I but I guess it's real.  To be fair to these folks - if we look at the health of their kids in isolation (meaning ignore the health of teachers and of causing more of a spread) then it's not a grossly negligent thing for people to do.  There's riskier things we allow our kids to do regularly.  I'm personally torn on this and having to decide what to do with my kids in the next week (we have a deadline of next Friday to decide).  I still don't know what my wife and I are going to do.

ETA - I may be wrong about "riskier" - that's an off the cuff comment that may prove to be incorrect.  Just a gut feeling.

I think this is a red herring.  I understand the logic behind the belief, but I think its a false narrative.

When you think of the millions of retail and restaurant jobs that were lost - those jobs are not coming back simply because kids are in school.
I think it's a piece of the puzzle - it definitely helps the economy if kids are in school, how much is an unknown because so much of this is unknown.

I think I said this before - I don't know if it's ironic that a global pandemic may be the thing to take Trump out in November or if it's perfectly fitting.  Either way, I think how he's handled this and continues to handle it is one of the final nails in his coffin.  I'm just waiting for him or Pence to get a severe case of it - not wishing, hoping they don't but it will just show how reckless they have been.

Most people agree with him that kids should be in school. The one's who don't can home school. He's not advocating taking away a parent's choice. He's advocating schools to be open. Me, personally, want my son in school 5 days a week. However, I understand one's that don't feel comfortable. That is why I like the school districts that are giving parent's the choice. Not this half in person, half remote learning BS NYC came up with.

Most people agree with him that kids should be in school. The one's who don't can home school. He's not advocating taking away a parent's choice. He's advocating schools to be open. Me, personally, want my son in school 5 days a week. However, I understand one's that don't feel comfortable. That is why I like the school districts that are giving parent's the choice. Not this half in person, half remote learning BS NYC came up with.
Thanks, but I think what really gets me is the threatening to withhold funds from districts which do not agree with him.

I get that, but I guess I don't understand why anyone would think the rate of change numbers would be on fire in the fall.  When a business closes down, it's not like another business can instantly open up to replace it.  Things take time to work their way through the economy.  A V-shaped recovery from this always seemed to me to be a complete fantasy.  
Yep little v action then hockey stick. 

Once again we (collectively) have turned something that shouldn't be political, political.  Ignoring sociopaths and just horrible parents in general I think the vast majority of us agree that:

• Kids should be in school
  • Kids should get a good education
  • We want our kids safe
  • We expect leadership and teachers/admin to do everything in their power to accomplish 2 and 3
  • Safety has to trump (no pun intended) education if there's reasonable reasons for that to happen - like us shutting down before
All of us should be pissed if any of these folks are using this as a political tool.

That's a pipe dream. Schools are already making plans. Trump tweets aren't going to change those plans for lots of school districts. 

To whom?  He needs more than his base.  I can't see anyone but those already voting for him to see things this way, but WTF do I know?  :lol:  

That's a pipe dream. Schools are already making plans. Trump tweets aren't going to change those plans for lots of school districts. 
Sure, but he's facing every day the real prospect that he won't be re-elected.  I don't believe for a second that he really cares whether schools are open or not.  He would pivot on a dime today if someone convinced him it would benefit him.

Well, maybe not every single one of them.  But, a lot of parents are home because their kids aren't in school.  Jobs are instantly created with schools need resources like food.

Yeah, I was going to respond with, "it's the economy, stupid" but the second part I'm iffy on.  I actually do think it plays well in certain parts of the country.  My wife said after our school system said they would offer in person classes starting in August she said a lot of Moms in her FB feed praised the idea.  She didn't get it and neither do I but I guess it's real.  To be fair to these folks - if we look at the health of their kids in isolation (meaning ignore the health of teachers and of causing more of a spread) then it's not a grossly negligent thing for people to do.  There's riskier things we allow our kids to do regularly.  I'm personally torn on this and having to decide what to do with my kids in the next week (we have a deadline of next Friday to decide).  I still don't know what my wife and I are going to do.

ETA - I may be wrong about "riskier" - that's an off the cuff comment that may prove to be incorrect.  Just a gut feeling.
Much respect and love to everyone making this decision. I think a better point rather than my usual sarcastic language is that families are concerned with their children's safety (and btw of course many families have teachers and administrators as well), that's true of everyone sending their children to school or opting to stay home. That's what people want to hear about, IMO.

More then one of us here have posted. Fine you want schools to open, how about some solutions that help. 
That would require him to:

• do work
  • know what to do
  • have the influence and temperament to get it done
  • be open to the idea that he could fail and be held accountable for bad decisions
He's averse or unable to do virtually all of those.

To whom?  He needs more than his base.  I can't see anyone but those already voting for him to see things this way, but WTF do I know?  :lol:  
I know some people who don't like Trump and typically vote Democrat but also are of the mindset that we just need to get on with our lives already. I have to imagine some of them could be persuaded to vote Trump if they thought he was more likely to guarantee "business as usual".

I know some people who don't like Trump and typically vote Democrat but also are of the mindset that we just need to get on with our lives already. I have to imagine some of them could be persuaded to vote Trump if they thought he was more likely to guarantee "business as usual".
You can look to Europe and Asia as examples and make a strong case that his actions have lead to the polar opposite of business as usual. 

If they're comfortable with "business as usual" meaning a much higher percentage of their loved ones getting extremely ill and potentially dying, I guess Trump is the better candidate.  The people I see with that attitude are ones that are ignorant of the risks and have a 'it won't affect me' attitude.  Getting back to normal means it will affect them.  

My rough plan for opening schools (beyond the societal precautions of masks, closures, etc):

1. Grades 1-6 should be the focus. Get them back in school first. These are the kids that require babysitters/daycare and working parents can't leave at home (or if the parents work from home, they are most likely to be very needy and distract a working parent). They are also the kids who most need in-person instruction and socialization. 

2. Use all the district buildings for the 1-6 graders. If you use the middle school and high school buildings, you can actually create a lot more space. Where I work, our 3 high schools are designed for about 2,000 kids where as our elementary schools are more like 300. Using the middle and high schools allows for more space, more social distancing and smaller classes. To get the extra teachers needed for smaller classes, use the middle school teachers to teach grades 5 and 6. 

3. Middle school and high school will be mostly online with some kind of slow incorporation of in-person learning. Students should have to come in x number of weeks to test and then in-person learning can tailored towards kids who are not scoring well on the tests. 

You can look to Europe and Asia as examples and make a strong case that his actions have lead to the polar opposite of business as usual. 
Sure but you are giving many people too much credit. The posters here spend much more time consuming and thinking about current events than most people. My MIL for example falls into the group I mentioned. She is constantly whining about why her favorite restaurant still won't allow dine in and she was surprised her August trip to London got cancelled. She sort of knows whats going on because she watches CNN for 5 minutes before bed or scrolls through Facebook. She isn't well informed but could likely be persuaded to vote Trump if the world just went back to how it used to be and someone sent her enough memes crediting the President for it. 

If they're comfortable with "business as usual" meaning a much higher percentage of their loved ones getting extremely ill and potentially dying, I guess Trump is the better candidate.  The people I see with that attitude are ones that are ignorant of the risks and have a 'it won't affect me' attitude.  Getting back to normal means it will affect them.  
Again referring to my MIL, she sort of gets it. She was really scared when her 92 year old mom's senior citizen had a few cases spread there. She had 2 family friends hospitalized for it. She's just selfish and wants to do what she wants to do when she wants to do it. 

Sure but you are giving many people too much credit. The posters here spend much more time consuming and thinking about current events than most people. My MIL for example falls into the group I mentioned. She is constantly whining about why her favorite restaurant still won't allow dine in and she was surprised her August trip to London got cancelled. She sort of knows whats going on because she watches CNN for 5 minutes before bed or scrolls through Facebook. She isn't well informed but could likely be persuaded to vote Trump if the world just went back to how it used to be and someone sent her enough memes crediting the President for it. 

Again referring to my MIL, she sort of gets it. She was really scared when her 92 year old mom's senior citizen had a few cases spread there. She had 2 family friends hospitalized for it. She's just selfish and wants to do what she wants to do when she wants to do it. 
When did we become so brazen with our lives?  You're MIL isn't the only one.  I have people in my circle who are saying the same thing like death isn't a big deal.  So weird.  

I have to constantly remind myself that what I see locally isn't representative of the entire country, because it isn't.  I know that.  However, I can't image the existence of an individual you describe here.  And I guess that's because I've not run across a person who hasn't already made up their mind on Trump one way or the other.  I feel like there is virtually no "persuasion" going on this election cycle.

When did we become so brazen with our lives?  You're MIL isn't the only one.  I have people in my circle who are saying the same thing like death isn't a big deal.  So weird.  
I actually expect that of many religious folks.  But, I think the fear of dying is like many other fears - difficult to predict.  I genuinely believe some people when they say they would rather die than live in fear of a virus.  Hey, go for it - just don't put the rest of us in danger while you do it.

I actually expect that of many religious folks.  But, I think the fear of dying is like many other fears - difficult to predict.  I genuinely believe some people when they say they would rather die than live in fear of a virus.  Hey, go for it - just don't put the rest of us in danger while you do it.
That's been my stance on a lot of things related to the virus.  You want to pass it around to each other at a Trump rally?  Have at it.  Just don't put our healthcare workers' lives at stake because of your decisions.  

1. Grades 1-6 should be the focus. Get them back in school first. These are the kids that require babysitters/daycare and working parents can't leave at home (or if the parents work from home, they are most likely to be very needy and distract a working parent). They are also the kids who most need in-
Basically what our school district is proposing  also 9th and 12 grade in school everyday as well. 9th because it's the first year of high school and 12th because it's their last year. 

I have to constantly remind myself that what I see locally isn't representative of the entire country, because it isn't.  I know that.  However, I can't image the existence of an individual you describe here.  And I guess that's because I've not run across a person who hasn't already made up their mind on Trump one way or the other.  I feel like there is virtually no "persuasion" going on this election cycle.
Tend to agree. This is going to be a "get out the vote" strategy for both candidates. This is where Hillary Clinton failed in 2016. Trump went to OH, PA, MI, WI a lot, particularly in the end of the campaign. She went to PA a number of times, but neglected those other states to her detriment. She failed to bring Obama voters to the polls in those states. 

Preschools in South Florida will limited to 8 children, per my roommate. That creates financial stress, as they're almost all private.

Luckily my child is old enough that if I have to go back to work she can be home.   However I still don't feel comfortable sending her to school if it's open because of her asthma.   

Tend to agree. This is going to be a "get out the vote" strategy for both candidates. This is where Hillary Clinton failed in 2016. Trump went to OH, PA, MI, WI a lot, particularly in the end of the campaign. She went to PA a number of times, but neglected those other states to her detriment. She failed to bring Obama voters to the polls in those states. 
Or suppress the vote.....

I can't help but notice the lunacy of all these districts doing these virtual meetings to tell us parents everything is going to be fine in a few weeks for in person learning.  People have lost their minds :lol:  

Basically what our school district is proposing  also 9th and 12 grade in school everyday as well. 9th because it's the first year of high school and 12th because it's their last year. 
This is interesting - I have a 9th and 12th grader this Fall and I thought these were tough years to have to be remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread