What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida hit a 3 month high in Covid cases with yesterday's numbers. Stuff is getting rough again, and a November hurricane isn't going to help even a little bit.

I realize that emotions are running high due to the election but shouldn't the president at least acknowledge the dramatic rise of Covid cases?   Over the last week we have set records on number of cases and deaths but he has absolutely nothing to say to the American people? 

I'm not beating on the guy I am just shaking my head in disbelief at his indifference.  

60 minutes had a segment on project warp speed, which suggested they were preparing for distribution starting next month.

The same piece said 60% of doctors were likely to accept vaccination, and only 40% of nurses. With both groups horrifically low levels of acceptance, I shudder to think what percentage of those not involved in healthcare will be vaccinated.

This is great news!  Heard Pfizer wasn't part of Warp Speed though.  
They are

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Defense (DoD) today announced an agreement with U.S.-based Pfizer Inc. for large-scale production and nationwide delivery of 100 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine in the United States following the vaccine’s successful manufacture and approval. The agreement also allows the U.S. government to acquire an additional 500 million doses.

The federal government will own the 100 million doses of vaccine initially produced as a result of this agreement, and Pfizer will deliver the doses in the United States if the product receives Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) or licensure from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as outlined in FDA guidance, after completing demonstration of safety and efficacy in a large Phase 3 clinical trial.

By entering into this agreement now, a safe and effective vaccine can be shipped quickly if FDA grants EUA or licensure. This approach helps meet the U.S. government’s Operation Warp Speed goal to begin delivering 300 million of doses of safe and effective vaccine to the American people by the end of the year.

“Through Operation Warp Speed, we are assembling a portfolio of vaccines to increase the odds that the American people will have at least one safe, effective vaccine as soon as the end of this year,” said HHS Secretary Alex Azar. “Depending on success in clinical trials, today’s agreement will enable the delivery of approximately 100 million doses of vaccine being developed by Pfizer and BioNTech.”

60 minutes had a segment on project warp speed, which suggested they were preparing for distribution starting next month.

The same piece said 60% of doctors were likely to accept vaccination, and only 40% of nurses. With both groups horrifically low levels of acceptance, I shudder to think what percentage of those not involved in healthcare will be vaccinated.
I would like to know the frequency of side effects before getting a vaccine. There have been reports of some people have serious side effects, such as high fever and chills. Pfizer and Moderna say these are a minority of cases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/10/01/coronavirus-vaccine-trial-participants-exhaustion-fever-headaches.html

I realize that emotions are running high due to the election but shouldn't the president at least acknowledge the dramatic rise of Covid cases?   Over the last week we have set records on number of cases and deaths but he has absolutely nothing to say to the American people? 

I'm not beating on the guy I am just shaking my head in disbelief at his indifference.  
Why do you say we've set death records the last week?

I'm excited for the possibility of the vaccine, though the side effects give me some pause, and I think I'll let it roll out a bit before I get one, just in case.

Thanks.

Just heard it on CNBC.  Pfizer will sell the vaccine as part of warp speed.  They didn't partake in research dollars though and felt they could move faster on their own dime.  
Pfizer was working with German researchers on this.  They are getting ready to get PAID on this.  They might be part of the "warp speed" project when it comes to distribution, but that would be it.  

I'm excited for the possibility of the vaccine, though the side effects give me some pause, and I think I'll let it roll out a bit before I get one, just in case.
I don't think you'll have to worry....from everything I've read, they are looking at around 50 million doses (requires two doses per person) by the end of the year.  That's 25 million individuals and those will likely be first responders, doctors etc who want to take it.  Then a billion doses (or 500 million people) for all of 2021.  This is all assuming that the doses will go to the highest bidder world wide.  It's going to be a while before readily available like the flu vaccine is today.  Plenty of time to observe side effects.

Why so low?

I wonder what the daily infection number will be in mid January.  We're at 120k per day right now.  I wonder if the US could hit 200k / day after Christmas. 

The governors and mayors are gonna have some heavy lifting to do on this in the next few months. 
We could hit 200k per day by the end of next week. I am sure we are well over 200k per day at the end of November unless there are some significant mitigation measures added very soon.

We could hit 200k per day by the end of next week. I am sure we are well over 200k per day at the end of November unless there are some significant mitigation measures added very soon.
It will be up to states and local authorities to put those in place.  I know Baltimore City is putting some measures back in place regarding indoor dining starting this week.  Not sure why it didn't happen last week when it was obvious that cases were starting to ramp again.

Why so low?
I suspect it goes up a bit once doctors/nurses are able to see the vaccine's progression.  But initially getting something like this to market in a matter of months when it takes years for everything else should give everyone pause unless the process has been transparent and open.  The Oxford study has been this...the others not so much.  As of today, I wouldn't be rushing to get in line for a vaccine outside the one being created from the Oxford group.  

This is really wonderful news if this pans out and a vaccine with 90% efficacy is expected by the spring. No idea how it happened so fast, but this is another little ray of hope in a dark time.

The J&J vaccine of Oxford origin might be better. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require challenging logistics due to freezing requirements and a second booster shot. 

Also, "7 days isn't nearly enough data".

From Eric Feigl-Ding, Harvard epidemiologist: https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1325812357738663936
yeah the 60 minutes piece highlighted the logistics problem.  having to keep the thing at -90 degrees for transportation and storage will be a challenge.

Fever and chills sound way better than the worst side effects of actually getting COVID.
I agree. Those few who reported serious side effects said they went away after a day. Those were anecdotal, not even sure if they were on the actual vaccine, although it's very likely they were. I hope the percentage of such sife-effects is low, when the results of the trial are released. Otherwise, acceptance of the vaccine will be affected.

Biden speaking and saying we're all Americans. Wrar a mask to protect yourself and your neighbors. The goal is to gate back to normal as soon as possible so we don't have wear masks. It isn't a political statement or an attempt to take something from you.   Finally. :weeps:

Peace and love. 

Biden speaking and saying we're all Americans. Wrar a mask to protect yourself and your neighbors. The goal is to gate back to normal as soon as possible so we don't have wear masks. It isn't a political statement or an attempt to take something from you.   Finally. :weeps:

Peace and love. 
That’s nice.  Will not do anything to reduce the spread.  It’s not just Trump voters that don’t wear masks or wear them correctly.   People don’t listen or won’t listen.  You can wear your mask properly but cloth masks are not protecting you.   It takes everyone wearing the mask properly and keeping their distance when possible.  

I would like to know the frequency of side effects before getting a vaccine. There have been reports of some people have serious side effects, such as high fever and chills. Pfizer and Moderna say these are a minority of cases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/10/01/coronavirus-vaccine-trial-participants-exhaustion-fever-headaches.html
Of course...I need to look at the specifics, but I don’t believe the standards for safety testing will be different for the covid vaccine than others. As I understand things, the development is being accelerated in many ways, the most important of which is probably performing several steps simultaneously, ie.vaccine production and safety testing - it’s possible they may need to toss a lot of it if adverse effects are discovered late in the process.

Why so low?
People are distrustful of .gov and pharma, including those in healthcare. It would be interesting to know what else they believe, but I’d wager there are some general themes.

To be fair, I shy away from new medications, to allow long term safety data to accumulate. And if the covid vaccine is released next month, it would be brought to market four times quicker than the previous record holder.

That’s nice.  Will not do anything to reduce the spread.  It’s not just Trump voters that don’t wear masks or wear them correctly.   People don’t listen or won’t listen.  You can wear your mask properly but cloth masks are not protecting you.   It takes everyone wearing the mask properly and keeping their distance when possible.  
No, it doesn't.  Things we do that are far less than 100% effective:

• seatbelts
  • flu vaccine
  • bike and motorcycle helmets
  • exercise
  • hand washing 
  • healthy eating
  • chemotherapy
  • praying
  • not drinking and driving
  • and many many more
This notion that if it isn't 100% effective and 100% adopted then there's no point doing it is just about the silliest argument I have ever heard.  And yet it is consistently repeated.  Why is that?  

Morton Muffley said:
No, it doesn't.  Things we do that are far less than 100% effective:

• seatbelts
  • flu vaccine
  • bike and motorcycle helmets
  • exercise
  • hand washing 
  • healthy eating
  • chemotherapy
  • praying
  • not drinking and driving
  • and many many more
This notion that if it isn't 100% effective and 100% adopted then there's no point doing it is just about the silliest argument I have ever heard.  And yet it is consistently repeated.  Why is that?  
My point is that many people are not going to wear masks or wear them properly no matter who asks them to wear masks.  The virus is going to continue to spread.   Cool discussion about seatbelts, helmets and praying.  Hi Grandma.  

My point is that many people are not going to wear masks or wear them properly no matter who asks them to wear masks.  The virus is going to continue to spread.   Cool discussion about seatbelts, helmets and praying.  Hi Grandma.  
I think you are making MY point.  To wit:

• People are going to continue to die in car accidents even while wearing seat belts.  Or perhaps you are too young to remember this PRECISE "meh freedom" conversation when seatbelt laws were being put into effect
  • People don't wash their hands properly (i.e. like a surgeon) and thus will continue to spread germs, so what's the point.  Thankfully that's NOT an argument I can recall as I am not 400 years old, but it wouldn't surprise me if soap was met with similar disdain back in the day and that "only fops use soap. real men are grimy!"

So now that it's obvious that Covid is NOT going away (either in reality OR as a media focus) as Trump and his supporters on this board predicted, how long until that talking point morphs into "well, it would have gone away except for all the Biden celebrations"? 3 days?  4 days?

I am going to bet I'll see that posted somewhere in the next few days EVEN while front-running it here.  Am looking forward to the link between North Dakota surge and all those Biden celebrations in the streets of Fargo...or was it Bismarck?*    

*And fwiw, I do not condone the celebrations I saw in NYC and Washington that, while comprised almost entirely masked participants, did NOT employ sufficient social distancing practices.  These celebrations will sadly only exacerbate the situation, but let's be clear: we were headed towards a brutal winter beforehand and this will be evident in many places well outside of any cosmopolitan celebration zones.  yes, I'm a moderate who is able to see nuance, grey, and opportunities for each side to improve.  It's a lonely place but that's where I am and I have to call it like I see it.

Has Trump basically given up on doing anything about Covid?  Numbers are skyrocketing and basically total silence.  I understand they are still contesting the election but would seem like as part of that they would want to appear like they are responding to issues and looking to next four years.  All I see out of the White House is denial re: election and basically nothing else.  

Has Trump basically given up on doing anything about Covid?  Numbers are skyrocketing and basically total silence.  I understand they are still contesting the election but would seem like as part of that they would want to appear like they are responding to issues and looking to next four years.  All I see out of the White House is denial re: election and basically nothing else.  
yes....months ago

From what I’m reading he’s given up on governing period. If that’s true he should step down and let Pence take over. We can’t wait 60 days for a new administration, we need action now. 

From what I’m reading he’s given up on governing period. If that’s true he should step down and let Pence take over. We can’t wait 60 days for a new administration, we need action now. 
This has been the case for almost four years, but the last 60 days is where you draw the line?  Let him pout.  Let him be disengaged.  That's exactly what I want given what I see happen when he's supposedly engaged.  

This has been the case for almost four years, but the last 60 days is where you draw the line?  Let him pout.  Let him be disengaged.  That's exactly what I want given what I see happen when he's supposedly engaged.  
I draw the line now because the emergency is now. Usually I’m with you, I don’t mind that he’s disengaged. But with covid completely out of control we need action. 

It has gotten worse.  There isn't even an acknowledgement anymore.  
He's not acknowledged it from the very beginning....from "it will be gone in a week" at the beginning to the coming up with guidelines only to immediately undermine them to the "we're rounding the corner" now...he's never acknowledged it in any meaningful, measurable way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread