What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend is a nurse here in SoCal.  They had symptomatic patients who just got back from Italy.  CDC said if they dont need to be hospitalized send them on their way.  No follow up.

That’s what you have to say? Seriously? I’d guess that just about every case in the US that originated from foreign exposure involved a citizen traveling internationally. Are you suggesting we end all international travel? No one in, no one out?
put these fools on ignore, they don't inhabit the same reality as other sane humans

trump is gonna try and use this to suspend elections.
This wouldn't surprise me at all. Hopefully November is far enough away that we can tamp it down enough to make that not happen. 

Also, absentee balloting would be a potential solution.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. Hopefully November is far enough away that we can tamp it down enough to make that not happen. 

Also, absentee balloting would be a potential solution.
i have heard some speculation that when flu season starts back up in October is when we will see the really serious COVID breakout 

What exactly is the point of the Europe travel ban if we’re gonna let in legal residents? I liked it better before they clarified it. Sure a little extreme but at least it made sense. A non-citizen isn’t any more likely to spread the virus than a citizen coming from the same country.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
What exactly is the point of the Europe travel ban if we’re gonna let in legal residents? I liked it better before they clarified it. Sure a little extreme but at least it made sense. A non-citizen isn’t any more likely to spread the virus than a citizen coming from the same country.
seems like a political move of the type putin would approve

Biff84 said:

What exactly is the point of the Europe travel ban if we’re gonna let in legal residents?

I think the idea is to slow down the spread of the virus so that we have more time to contain it. We know it's coming into the country every single day (from Canada, from Japan, from Australia, etc.). We can't avoid that, but we can at least slow it down.

I think the idea is to slow down the spread of the virus so that we have more time to contain it. We know it's coming into the country every single day (from Canada, from Japan, from Australia, etc.). We can't avoid that, but we can at least slow it down.
Right and I don’t have a problem with that but limiting it to non-citizens makes the move ineffective. It’s like if they decide to only ban men from entering, the women are just as much of a risk. If you’re gonna go to that extreme, you have to do it right.

Some sad truth to this:

Mark Landler @MarkLandler

The botched coronavirus response is a failure of global leadership. Populism, denigration of science and denial of truth all play a part.

But the absence of American leadership is decisive.
Nope. The world doesn't need "American" leadership 

Give credit where it's due.  Trump finally gave a speech that was Presidential (well as good as its gonna get from him).  Yeah, this historical pieces weren't all that accurate and some of those parts flat out dishonest, but what he needed to say about current day and moving forward he said.  Hopefully people listen and hopefully we can't put an end to this "no big deal" and "but but but, the flu" nonsense to bed.

ETA:  I also think there are some good things proposed as "relief" to this for helping small businesses and individuals, but the payroll tax part is pointless.  This isn't an economic crisis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give credit where it's due.  Trump finally gave a speech that was Presidential.  Yeah, this historical pieces weren't all that accurate and some parts flat out dishonest, but what he needed to say about current day and moving forward he said.  Hopefully people listen and hopefully we can't put an end to this "no big deal" and "but but but, the flu" nonsense to bed.
Sorry.  There is no credit due.  In prepared remarks, from a teleprompter, he got several things wrong that had to be walked back immediately after the speech - from travel restrictions, trade restrictions, insurance fees/coverage.  That deserves no credit on its face.

And, then when you add that the speech was intended to help restore confidence, and help calm the markets - you only need to look a the Dow futures, which fell 1000 points from the time Trump started talking - until he finished.

This was not a good speech - on any level.

Give credit where it's due.  Trump finally gave a speech that was Presidential (well as good as its gonna get from him).  Yeah, this historical pieces weren't all that accurate and some of those parts flat out dishonest, but what he needed to say about current day and moving forward he said.  Hopefully people listen and hopefully we can't put an end to this "no big deal" and "but but but, the flu" nonsense to bed.

ETA:  I also think there are some good things proposed as "relief" to this for helping small businesses and individuals, but the payroll tax part is pointless.  This isn't an economic crisis.
Dow is down 1100 and had to be halted. 

Also, we will have to get our information going forward from other countries the way some countries used to get it from the US because their government restricted it from them. FREEDOM!!!! 

Sorry.  There is no credit due.  In prepared remarks, from a teleprompter, he got several things wrong that had to be walked back immediately after the speech - from travel restrictions, trade restrictions, insurance fees/coverage.  That deserves no credit on its face.

And, then when you add that the speech was intended to help restore confidence, and help calm the markets - you only need to look a the Dow futures, which fell 1000 points from the time Trump started talking - until he finished.

This was not a good speech - on any level.
If I'm being honest, I tuned out all the economic nonsense because it was so vague it was virtually meaningless and quite honestly, I don't really care about that perspective because no matter what he wants to do, it will be up to Congress to fund it so I didn't really pay attention to that.  What I wanted to hear was a complete 180 from "this is under control and once we cure the 15 cases, it'll be all over" nonsense.  He needed to say the things he said with respect to the realities we face even if he lied about the current state.  That's the honesty the markets/economy are looking for.  I'm not saying that he's not going to act in the complete opposite way and completely contradict his words with his actions.  That's probably going to happen.  I also have no doubt that announcing a travel ban is going to have a significant impact on the economy and markets as a whole.  It will, but those things need to happen.  They should have happened weeks ago.  I don't know what they were hoping the speech would do, but if they were going with "restore confidence" they did it wrong.  It seemed to me like they were setting the floor (aka, stop digging), but what do I know?  I guess I'll have to wait and see what actions he takes to understand intent.  Time will tell.

Willie Geist @WillieGeist · 10m

The E.U. says it got no warning of the European travel ban: “The European Union disapproves of the fact that the U.S. decision to impose a travel ban was taken unilaterally and without consultation.”

Again - just a complete lack of global awareness.  I don't have a problem with the travel ban, I have a problem with how decisions seem to be made haphazardly and without considerations to the impacts to others.  You owe it to allies/friends to give them a heads up that the ban is coming, so they have a response ready.

Willie Geist @WillieGeist · 10m

The E.U. says it got no warning of the European travel ban: “The European Union disapproves of the fact that the U.S. decision to impose a travel ban was taken unilaterally and without consultation.”

Again - just a complete lack of global awareness.  I don't have a problem with the travel ban, I have a problem with how decisions seem to be made haphazardly and without considerations to the impacts to others.  You owe it to allies/friends to give them a heads up that the ban is coming, so they have a response ready.
Hey, just a heads up, I’m blaming you for the US outbreak. TIA

Sadly, no.  It's spreading pretty much across the country through community transmission already.  Keeping infected people out of the country won't put a dent in it at this point.  The fact that on March 11th you can't get tested just because you're sick is insane.  

I actually thought Trump was good in the speech.  He actually took in seriously and didn't play the "I know more than the experts" or the "everything is perfect" mode from basically the last week or two.

Now the people who wrote the speech for him should all be called out on their stupidity and fired.  If you need to blame Trump then blame him for hiring those brown nose dolts who doesn't understand their own policy changes.  At the point nobody expect Trump to suddenly stop in the middle of a speech and say this is bull####.   Those writers could have done the lyrics to the Golden Girls and he would have read it.  

Sadly, no.  It's spreading pretty much across the country through community transmission already.  Keeping infected people out of the country won't put a dent in it at this point.  The fact that on March 11th you can't get tested just because you're sick is insane.  
And this is where it went off the rails IMO.....when the protocol was narrowly focused on travel to China as a requirement for being tested we were doomed....that it took weeks to change that compounded the problem exponentially.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread