What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEWS — @GOPLeader KEVIN MCCARTHY told Republicans that he is opposed to the Democrats coronavirus bill, a blow to hopes for biparitsanship and perhaps a harbinger for the bill’s prospects in the GOP Senate. 

The WH has made its preference clear, but this is a bad sign.
House Democrats' response package includes:

Free coronavirus testing

14 days paid sick leave (federally administered)

Emergency paid leave

Unemployment Insurance expansion

FMAP increase for states

Meals for kids whose schools close
THOSE MONSTERS!!!!   

The GOP is the worst.
And before Republicans start asking who's going to pay for it, this should be the plan INSTEAD of the corporate bailouts Trump's been talking about (including one that could directly benefit him).

Bail out the people, not the corporations.

What is the point of  payroll tax relief if people aren't going into work?
This is one of the many reasons the payroll tax suggestion is pretty stupid.  Funds would be much better utilized if they did it through direct compensation to help with child care, testing, treatment etc.

Good advice and catchy name: https://staythe####home.com/

Only a matter of time for us to enact the same types of controls Italy has.  We should be limiting all travel, including domestic.  Better than having to build a bunch of temporary hospitals.

VP Pence did not cite figures when CNN this morning when asked “How many Americans have been tested so far for Coronavirus?”
He said he'd leave that question for the experts. Well, here's what his experts say:

Testing #s

So as this spreads and more people become infected, we are testing far less.  WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

Sinn Fein said:
Willie Geist @WillieGeist · 10m

The E.U. says it got no warning of the European travel ban: “The European Union disapproves of the fact that the U.S. decision to impose a travel ban was taken unilaterally and without consultation.”

Again - just a complete lack of global awareness.  I don't have a problem with the travel ban, I have a problem with how decisions seem to be made haphazardly and without considerations to the impacts to others.  You owe it to allies/friends to give them a heads up that the ban is coming, so they have a response ready.
When you elect incompetence, we shouldn't be surprised that that is exactly what we are getting.

Even with the address last night, CDC website still saying:

Current risk assessment:

For the majority of people, the immediate risk of being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to be low. There is not widespread circulation in most communities in the United States.

==

With that guidance, we WILL get widespread circulation in most communities.  They should link to https://staythe####home.com/ since they aren't willing to spell it out themselves.

He said he'd leave that question for the experts. Well, here's what his experts say:

Testing #s

So as this spreads and more people become infected, we are testing far less.  WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?
The aggregate tests on the CDC site hasn’t made sense for a couple days (again.)

I thought most were aware of that, it’s been discussed on CNN & MSNBC.

Date | CDC Labs | Public Health Labs

3/4 | 66 | 939

3/5 | 54 | 1192

3/6 | 16 | 1155

3/7 | 0 | 947

3/8 | 0 | 741

3/9 | 0 | 396

3/10 | 0 | 8

Page last reviewed:  March 11, 2020

Even with the address last night, CDC website still saying:

Current risk assessment:

For the majority of people, the immediate risk of being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to be low. There is not widespread circulation in most communities in the United States.

==

With that guidance, we WILL get widespread circulation in most communities.  They should link to https://staythe####home.com/ since they aren't willing to spell it out themselves.
As I said yesterday, in States with little or know testing, we have been told that our threat is LOW because there have been no positive tests.  We have also been told that it's not a question of "if" but "when" someone becomes infected.  We have then been informed that the statistics show that when that one positive test happens, it means 1000-1500 are currently likely infected.  How can they possibly say that our threat is LOW under these circumstances, and that everything and everyone should proceed as normal?

And before Republicans start asking who's going to pay for it, this should be the plan INSTEAD of the corporate bailouts Trump's been talking about (including one that could directly benefit him).

Bail out the people, not the corporations.

If this EVER comes up again as a serious attempt at being an argument the person should just be ignored.  That ship has sailed.

The aggregate tests on the CDC site hasn’t made sense for a couple days (again.)

I thought most were aware of that, it’s been discussed on CNN & MSNBC.
It begs the questions: (1) Are those numbers an accurate account of testing being done?; (2) if they aren't accurate, can someone like the guy in charge (Is it Pence? Trump? Jared?) explain the inaccuracy (don't need an "expert" for this)?; and (3) If it's not accurate, why is it still up on the website? Accurate information is CRITICALLY important right now.  

It begs the questions: (1) Are those numbers an accurate account of testing being done?; (2) if they aren't accurate, can someone like the guy in charge (Is it Pence? Trump? Jared?) explain the inaccuracy (don't need an "expert" for this)?; and (3) If it's not accurate, why is it still up on the website? Accurate information is CRITICALLY important right now.  
(4) If they ARE accurate, why the hell is it so low??

*can't have high infection numbers if you don't test!

The fact Trump hasn't declared a National Emergency is criminal. He has the best information in the world and its not good. 

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
From what I’ve read this week it’s partly because we have different reporting mechanisms depending on who is doing the testing. CDC is not the same as a state lab which is different from county which is different from a pharma corp.

:shrug:

The fact Trump hasn't declared a National Emergency is criminal. He has the best information in the world and its not good. 
I actually thought he did that - but I have not been paying as close attention to the details.

We got a national emergency with immigrants, this has got to be a no-brainer.

On why Taiwan has been successful in containing the virus:

Last but not the least, Kolas said that she believes the country’s health insurance system, which covers 99 percent of the population, has been crucial to fighting the spread of the outbreak.

“Taiwan’s health insurance lets everyone not be afraid to go to the hospital. If you suspect you have coronavirus, you won’t have to worry that you can’t afford the hospital visit to get tested,” she said.

“You can get a free test, and if you’re forced to be isolated, during the 14 days, we pay for your food, lodging and medical care,” Kolas said. “So no one would avoid seeing the doctor because they can’t pay for health care.”
Damn commies

One question I’ve seen asked by a few sources and haven’t seen an answer:

Beginning in China and across several countries with a sufficient data sample (ROK, Italy), confirmed Covid-19 cases which are classified as “serious” - which may or may not lead to ICU hospitalization - has been consistent. Right around 12%.

In the USA, it’s around 1%. No one has explained why.

Lamar Alexander told reporters the Senate won't take up the House coronavirus bill until after recess (March 23). "The Senate will act when we come back and we have a clearer idea of what extra steps we need to take."

From what I’ve read this week it’s partly because we have different reporting mechanisms depending on who is doing the testing. CDC is not the same as a state lab which is different from county which is different from a pharma corp.

:shrug:
Thanks.  I get that there's likely an explanation, but why provide that information on the public information website if it doesn't accurately reflect actual testing numbers?  And why can't someone at the CDC or Pence give us that explanation?  If it's too complicated to explain (i.e. there are many factors in play), just take it down.  It's really poor messaging at a time when we need accurate information.  

Lamar Alexander told reporters the Senate won't take up the House coronavirus bill until after recess (March 23). "The Senate will act when we come back and we have a clearer idea of what extra steps we need to take."
Absolutely foolish.

Gpoptosis@Gpoptosis

Scotland

On behalf of the people of Scotland and Ireland I'd like to thank Donald Trump for owning some ####e golf courses here and our consequent exemption from the travel ban, allowing us the freedom to fly to the US with coronavirus and die there due to the lack of universal healthcare

He should have just said they will take 11 days off and hope it goes away.

What the hell happens if after March 23 most of Congress is sick or quarantined and cant gather a quorum? 

To recap -

House GOP wants 48 hours to negotiate a new response package

House Democrats say they don't need 48 hours, are pushing forward on the current package

Senate GOP says they're going to wait until March 23.

At least we're all on the same page.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Thanks.  I get that there's likely an explanation, but why provide that information on the public information website if it doesn't accurately reflect actual testing numbers?  And why can't someone at the CDC or Pence give us that explanation?  If it's too complicated to explain (i.e. there are many factors in play), just take it down.  It's really poor messaging at a time when we need accurate information.  
How much of last nights address related to relevant public health policy?

“Here’s what we know so far. Here’s what we can do to mitigate. Here are done steps you can take in your house. Here is what the health experts say you should not do. We will get through this - it won’t be easy, but we will.”

Instead we get:

brag

blame

blame

*weird thing with right eye*

irrelevant travel ban 

completely unrelated economic/tax proposal 

*sniff*

brag

brag

No wonder futures immediately ranked.

Status