What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While many in here really don't care about the economic impact, CNN (only watching because I am waiting for a car repair) has a story interviewing swing voters and overwhelmingly they were far more concern with the economic impact than the health impact.  And these were mostly older Americans in the highest risk group.  
I'm not going to speak for others in specifics, but I think the economic impact is very much front and center with many- if not a vast majority. The priority right now is just on public health - in part to minimize that impact. 

Disgusting as usual...oandemoc, people dying and others freaked out...small businesses (restaurants) worrying this may kill their business ...and he does this crap.

Should be on every dem campaign commercial that this is what Trump thinks of everyone.  That he doesn't give one crap about the American people.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: JAA
While many in here really don't care about the economic impact (PEOPLE are Dying!!!!), CNN (only watching because I am waiting for a car repair) has a story interviewing swing voters and overwhelmingly they were far more concern with the economic impact than the health impact.  And these were mostly older Americans in the highest risk group.  
The economic impact will definitely be a big part of this story.  I still think that when it’s all over, the flu will end up killing more than this virus, but only because the govts will shut things down.  But at what economic impact?  Tough to say

Right, exactly. 

We all need to come together.  But the some posters on here need to get those shots in while unifying. 

And unless you people can crack their jokes--we don't need to waste energy unifying. 

Some people on the right are going to fight the science of climate change until the day they die.  And if that means you can't "unify," then who's it really on? 
Unification wont happen until everyone agree to what facts are.That apies to climate change and everything else.  And yeah...its on those denying the science and facts of that is what it all from happening.

It definitely wont happen under Trump...

The economic impact will definitely be a bigger part of this story.  I still think that when it’s all over, the flu will end up killing more than this virus, but only because the govts will shut things down.  But at what economic impact?  Tough to say
The goal of these cancellations is to flatten the curve.  The area under the curve (infections and/or deaths) remains about the same.  Just spread out more. 

While many in here really don't care about the economic impact (PEOPLE are Dying!!!!), CNN (only watching because I am waiting for a car repair) has a story interviewing swing voters and overwhelmingly they were far more concern with the economic impact than the health impact.  And these were mostly older Americans in the highest risk group.  
Here's the thing though: they are linked.  If the health impact is bad, the economic impact will be bad.  If the health impact is manageable, the economy will be fine.

I think this is what the president is missing.  IMO the markets are crashing purely because the federal govt response to the health crisis has been slow and toothless.  Yesterday was the first time the federal govt did ANYTHING to mitigate and not prevent, and the market finally responded positively.

I'd also add: markets can and will recover.  Dead people don't.

I saw this. It's a group called the Swing Voter Project, and the guy speaking was a "Moderator" for the group. Apparently it was a sample of 11 voters in Edina MN, it wasn't explained how they were selected aside from being swing voters, and one other criteria I will note below. 7 of 11 said they'd prefer Trump over Obama, and 8 of 11 said they'd prefer Trump over Biden, citing 1. trust, 2. mental agility, and 3. that they didn't know much about Biden.

Now that last bit might seem kind of surprising considering Biden has been in office for 40+ years and was VP for 8 years, but that's the kicker - the criteria was "low information" voters. These people largely get their info either purely locally, that is (I take it) either just or mostly local news or informed by people around them. That is as the guy said people who don't pay attention.

I find that piece thoroughly unsurprising, I'd likely guess 8 of 10 low information voters will be Trump supporters. The guy's point was we have to pay attention to people who don't pay much attention at all. I think that's true, Trump certainly has.

The goal of these cancellations is to flatten the curve.  The area under the curve (infections and/or deaths) remains about the same.  Just spread out more. 
If there was evidence that the extreme measures reduced the death toll by 50-80% would you support them?

The goal of flattening the curve is to prevent the hospitals from being overrun.  When that happens, the death rate between 3 and 6 times larger.  

In real numbers, we are talking about millions of americans.

The goal of flattening the curve is to prevent the hospitals from being overrun.  When that happens, the death rate between 3 and 6 times larger.  

In real numbers, we are talking about millions of americans.
I don't think you are stating or applying those numbers correctly. And no, we are not talking millions of Americans.  

Unification wont happen until everyone agree to what facts are.That apies to climate change and everything else.  And yeah...its on those denying the science and facts of that is what it all from happening.

It definitely wont happen under Trump...
It is possible to not hate people/work together despite their stance on the science.

It is possible to not hate people/work together despite their stance on the science.
I dont hate the...but actual unity wont happen without compromise.  But that again still requires people to admit to the basic facts.  Its on everyone in a way...but it doesn't now appear some will ever admit to those facts

Ill also add...its not just side vs side...its factions within them.

Taking hard core Bernie supporters as an example...some are quite unwilling to compromise with anything other than him.  Its xxxx candidate or bust will hurt of the goal is unity.

Good morning. 

My criticism of President Trump for his dumb and sometimes dangerous statements remains unabated, but it does feel like yesterday was a sea change. It feels to me like the nation is now taking this seriously and is pretty unified. 

• Smile
I like to think you are right, but then i think about global warming and the domestic support for US backing out of the Paris Agreement. :shrug:
This is a major problem with the left.  Just because there is good science which defines the problem, the science does not support many of the hair-brained solutions.  I know it makes many people on the left feel better to be doing something, but in many cases it is not the best or even a meaningful course of action.   I don't ignore or deny science.  But I do look at the science and see what the science shows and what it doesn't.  I despise the rhetoric from the left touting science when in reality they only have half the truth. 

This is a major problem with the left.  Just because there is good science which defines the problem, the science does not support many of the hair-brained solutions.  I know it makes many people on the left feel better to be doing something, but in many cases it is not the best or even a meaningful course of action.   I don't ignore or deny science.  But I do look at the science and see what the science shows and what it doesn't.  I despise the rhetoric from the left touting science when in reality they only have half the truth. 
I get it: you think that climate change is real but (a) its too late to stop it and (b) humans aren't capable of stopping it anyways.  

The problem is that the actions prescribed are identical to what deniers would have us do: nothing.  And, that doesn't square well with those that want to do something.

If you (and i don't mean you personally, i mean people on the right who accept the science but don't like the proposals) could come back with alternate solutions, you would have a hell of a lot more credibility.

• Love
Good morning. 

My criticism of President Trump for his dumb and sometimes dangerous statements remains unabated, but it does feel like yesterday was a sea change. It feels to me like the nation is now taking this seriously and is pretty unified. 
I agree, but i gotta wonder: are we there now in spite of the President or because?

Good morning. 

Most of the nation was taking it seriously...still not sure how much he is beyond looking for an angle to help him.

For Example

Sure. We can disagree on solutions and Im not lumping you in with denying science...but there are still plenty who would disagree with any solution as they still argue against the actual science.

I get it: you think that climate change is real but (a) its too late to stop it and (b) humans aren't capable of stopping it anyways.  

The problem is that the actions prescribed are identical to what deniers would have us do: nothing.  And, that doesn't square well with those that want to do something.

If you (and i don't mean you personally, i mean people on the right who accept the science but don't like the proposals) could come back with alternate solutions, you would have a hell of a lot more credibility.
a)  no I don't

b)  no I don't

I think efforts should be concentrated on where you get the most benefit for the buck.  The green new deal is a kooky hair-brained idea for instance. 

I agree, but i gotta wonder: are we there now in spite of the President or because?
IMO mostly the former but it doesn’t matter. I’m reminded of Neville Chamberlain after Britain declared war in September 1939: he did it grudgingly, unwillingly, and he was half hearted about it in the months ahead- still it was a turning point. 

I've been very critical of Trump in his handling of this.  But if he's responsible for everything, he should get credit when he acts. 

I thought declaring the state of emergency--although way later than he should have--and calling on Republicans to support the Dem bill--were strong moves. 

Not to take over the thread with this topic, but even if all your arguments are correct, the “major problem” is with the right. They have needed for quite some time to come up with reasonable free market solutions to counter some of these leftist solutions, but they haven’t. As with so many other issues in the last 50 years, the right is devoid of solutions of their own making; all they seem to want to do is say “slow down” or simply “stop” before being inevitably dragged towards whatever the left wants to accomplish. Our entire history over the last 100 years is one liberal solution after another with conservatives hitting the brakes  once in a while but eventually moving in the same direction. Climate change will be no different. 

Most of the nation was taking it seriously...still not sure how much he is beyond looking for an angle to help him.

For Example
Just one of the largest oofs possible.  I mean, the press conference yesterday had all the ingredients of a positive message.  And then they kept shaking hands, and then he “took” questions, and then some of the things announced were adjusted with a “about that...”, and lastly this stunt.  OOF!

To be clear, I do agree if you only watched the presser and nothing else, it probably gave off a sense of purpose and direction from the government. 

Good morning. 

Was it the president lying about Google's website that really was the turning point for you?

To be clear, I do agree if you only watched the presser and nothing else, it probably gave off a sense of purpose and direction from the government. 
The one thing Trump needs to do next, though I know he’ll hate it- he needs to have a press conference with Nancy Pelosi. Maybe even with Joe Biden and Bernie. If you want to unify people that’s the way to do it. 

• Laughing
The one thing Trump needs to do next, though I know he’ll hate it- he needs to have a press conference with Nancy Pelosi. Maybe even with Joe Biden and Bernie. If you want to unify people that’s the way to do it. 
I doubt you see anything like that or even a positive message towards democrats.  

I doubt you see anything like that or even a positive message towards democrats.  

Too bad for Trump. The Democrats couldn’t refuse without looking terrible, it would boost Trump’s approval ratings immensely, and most important of it would help to remove this entire issue from the election. That’s how you change public perception. 

Too bad for Trump. The Democrats couldn’t refuse without looking terrible, it would boost Trump’s approval ratings immensely, and most important of it would help to remove this entire issue from the election. That’s how you change public perception. 
IMO he would see it as elevating then democrats...when he feels he can take credit for all of it himself and raise his support with his base that way.

And let’s explain why this is so important... just in case there are people who are not aware of this. Spreading the number of infections out over a greater time range will reduce the overall negative impact at any given time within that range. Especially easing the burden on our healthcare systems, which we will most likely need. 

Good morning. 

Not sure what took you so long good buddy, President Trump has been doing a tremendous job. When you can get Gavin Newsom and Bill de Blasio to praise you in the same week you’ve done great work. It’s a beautiful thing seeing us all work together.

Not sure what took you so long good buddy, President Trump has been doing a tremendous job. When you can get Gavin Newsom and Bill de Blasio to praise you in the same week you’ve done great work. It’s a beautiful thing seeing us all work together.
That's the opposite of what he's saying. His ineptitude was on full display yesterday, and it's showing everyone, even his most ardent supporters, that he is wholly unfit for the job.

What specifically has he done that was good work?

As I’ve written numerous times, I am satisfied with Trump’s actions, (not his statements.) I’ll leave the nauseating adjectives to you and Mr. Pence. 

My 12 year old was in the room last night while I was watching the nightly news.  He hears Trump say, "National Emergency...two very big words" and "I think I will be tested...not for that reason but because I think I will do it anyway," and bursts out laughing.  Children are laughing at our 'leader'.  He's such an embarrassment.    
My own kids(8, 7, and 5) don't like him, albeit because of his choice of language and how he isn't nice to people. In fairness, I'm avoiding exposing them to actual politics just yet.

Good morning. 

I think that was the Wednesday night speech finally hitting home - we are a rudderless ship.

Its actually pretty embarrassing how unprepared we were/are for this. 

I think that was the Wednesday night speech finally hitting home - we are a rudderless ship.

Its actually pretty embarrassing how unprepared we were/are for this. 
Friday's clown show may one day be shown in the history books.  I can't think of the words to describe it.  I still can't believe what I saw.  In the face of impending disaster, rich CEO's patted themselves on the back, the corona-virus exposed president shook everyone's hands and adjusted the mics, the stock market shot up like all the problems were over...It was insane to watch.  The joy that many of Trump's supporters (and guys like Tim who bought the shtick) have right now over the "unifying government" could turn to rage in 3 weeks as they look back and wonder why Trump didn't spend that press conference warning people of what was to come.

• Love
Friday's clown show may one day be shown in the history books.  I can't think of the words to describe it.  I still can't believe what I saw.  In the face of impending disaster, rich CEO's patted themselves on the back, the corona-virus exposed president shook everyone's hands and adjusted the mics, the stock market shot up like all the problems were over...It was insane to watch.  The joy that many of Trump's supporters (and guys like Tim who bought the shtick) have right now over the "unifying government" could turn to rage in 3 weeks as they look back and wonder why Trump didn't spend that press conference warning people of what was to come.
If it does it does. But man are you negative. I’m hoping for the best. 

If it does it does. But man are you negative. I’m hoping for the best. 
You and me are no different in our hope for the best, it's important to get that out of the way.  Blind optimism isn't a positive trait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread