What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see BIG being bandied about...what is the status of Congress?  Have they passed anything to go to Trump?  These guys can knock out massive legislation proposals quite easily, something should on the table now.  

I mean I’m a nurse at a level 1 trauma center. We were told  Friday that unless you have documented proof of contracting the virus from a patient, we are expected to use our own sick time bank and health insurance etc if we contract it. And I’m on the front line of this thing. I hope most large companies are more proactive, cause without a liberal policy towards this, it encourages those ill to come to work. 

I mean I’m a nurse at a level 1 trauma center. We were told  Friday that unless you have documented proof of contracting the virus from a patient, we are expected to use our own sick time bank and health insurance etc if we contract it. And I’m on the front line of this thing. I hope most large companies are more proactive, cause without a liberal policy towards this, it encourages those ill to come to work. 
This has been a huge problem in America forever.  Hopefully some good comes out of this and changes our attitude.  Some places "encourage" people that get sick to stay home but then look down on you when you do.  Then of course there's always some dilrod that "gets sick" every other Monday.

That’s insanity 

I think someone he trusts finally got it through his thick head how many people are going to die from this and he is on record saying it's all a hoax.
Perhaps he put up a good front long enough for some people to liquidate holdings. Now he has switched to painting a bleaker outlook to make the results look better than expectations just in time to win election. 

Picturing trump removing a hazmat suit to say mission accomplished at some point. 

That’s insanity 
Like that at other hospitals too from friends I’ve spoken to. I mean I’ve got a ton of time but I really don’t want to use a bunch of it being quarantined. I just know from prior experience with employee health what definitive proof means. I’ll pretty much need a video of a patient with a positive test result in his hand and him coughing in my face. Maybe they will change their stance. It’s gotten a lot more serious since they made the statement. 

If this 500 employee companies or more don’t pay sick time but companies under do is correct the Feds are going to have to do something pretty dramatic to address this on both sides of this.

There’s no way that works on so many levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this 500 employee companies or more don’t pay sick time but companies under do is correct the Feds are going to have to do something pretty dramatic to address this on both sides of this.

There’s no way that works on so many levels.
It works when you look at campaign contributions. How many small businesses contribute large sums to candidates?

This is happening with residents as well. All over the country, they’re being told they won’t be paid if they call in sick.

Me too.  It appears he is taking a back seat and finally letting informed experts set the tone.  I would bet they have advised him of the chaos that will hit in the next few days as hospitals are overrun and the death toll begins to rise significantly. And he knows he can’t do anything about it.  
To each their own. Just seems odd to applaud achieving an expected minimal level of competency in one of thousands of opportunities.

I thought he did very well as well. Doesn’t move the needle the slightest bit for me nonetheless. Particularly since his “leadership” and policy actions have contributed to this crisis. Ignore Obama’s input upon taking office on dealing with pandemics (reportedly), disband the NSC pandemic unit, disseminate harmful information personally and through his right wing media machine, but now he takes it seriously and we credit him? Hmmm.

I suppose considering current events we take what we can get. No applause from me though.

To each their own. Just seems odd to applaud achieving an expected minimal level of competency in one of thousands of opportunities.

I thought he did very well as well. Doesn’t move the needle the slightest bit for me nonetheless. Particularly since his “leadership” and policy actions have contributed to this crisis. Ignore Obama’s input upon taking office on dealing with pandemics (reportedly), disband the NSC pandemic unit, disseminate harmful information personally and through his right wing media machine, but now he takes it seriously and we credit him? Hmmm.

I suppose considering current events we take what we can get. No applause from me though.
Another similar synopsis agrees with you, yea I know it’s CNN but pretty spot on

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2020/03/14/exp-gps-0315-fareeds-take.cnn

Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918' - In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.

POLITICO obtained documents from the meeting and spoke with more than a dozen attendees to help provide the most detailed reconstruction of the closed-door session yet. It was perhaps the most concrete and visible transition exercise that dealt with the possibility of pandemics, and top officials from both sides — whether they wanted to be there or not — were forced to confront a whole-of-government response to a crisis. The Trump team was told it could face specific challenges, such as shortages of ventilators, anti-viral drugs and other medical essentials, and that having a coordinated, unified national response was “paramount” — warnings that seem eerily prescient given the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

But roughly two-thirds of the Trump representatives in that room are no longer serving in the administration. That extraordinary turnover in the months and years that followed is likely one reason his administration has struggled to handle the very real pandemic it faces now, former Obama administration officials said.

This is by far trump’s best performance.  
I will have to admit I agree.  Scared, sober Trump is a little more terrifying though—when he finally is appreciating and acknowledging the gravity of this thing for the first time, regardless of what it means for him politically, it’s almost like the light bulb went off that this isn’t about him. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking, but a guy can hope. 

And it’s not easy for me to admit—a sore subject for me right now, because I’m just back from a week long time out from this place (at a time when the news and companionship here is more helpful than ever). I earned it by criticizing the president—not in colorful language, but using a regular descriptive word in the dictionary that is not curse words or filtered words, and which is used by small school kids on a playground daily (rhymes with “boron”). I used the word in a thread in the political forum where it belonged. I suppose it is the joint use of such a word, which I don’t believe itself is prohibited, with reference to the president, that causes the problem.

Still, at least the moderating is consistent, because as I look back it turns out I had another timeout in recent years were for using the same word to describe the same president.  So I just have to remind myself about that being a sentiment you aren’t allowed to express here, even though it otherwise seems like something that in a free discussion among adults is something someone should be permitted to say.   I guess that’s why it didn’t occur to me.  That feels like a slippery slope to me (in an Orwell kind of way), but as I’ve always said, it’s not my board, and the mods can do what they want with it.

But I digress.  Point is, there have been one or two moments in the last couple days during which, while I don’t think the president has performed incredibly well by average president standards (hopefully I’m ok saying that), he has been better than his own average.

I will have to admit I agree.  Scared, sober Trump is a little more terrifying though—when he finally is appreciating and acknowledging the gravity of this thing for the first time, regardless of what it means for him politically, it’s almost like the light bulb went off that this isn’t about him. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking, but a guy can hope. 

And it’s not easy for me to admit—a sore subject for me right now, because I’m just back from a week long time out from this place (at a time when the news and companionship here is more helpful than ever). I earned it by criticizing the president—not in colorful language, but using a regular descriptive word in the dictionary that is not curse words or filtered words, and which is used by small school kids on a playground daily (rhymes with “boron”). I used the word in a thread in the political forum where it belonged. I suppose it is the joint use of such a word, which I don’t believe itself is prohibited, with reference to the president, that causes the problem.

Still, at least the moderating is consistent, because as I look back it turns out I had another timeout in recent years were for using the same word to describe the same president.  So I just have to remind myself about that being a sentiment you aren’t allowed to express here, even though it otherwise seems like something that in a free discussion among adults is something someone should be permitted to say.   I guess that’s why it didn’t occur to me.  That feels like a slippery slope to me (in an Orwell kind of way), but as I’ve always said, it’s not my board, and the mods can do what they want with it.

But I digress.  Point is, there have been one or two moments in the last couple days during which, while I don’t think the president has performed incredibly well by average president standards (hopefully I’m ok saying that), he has been better than his own average.
That word has been elevated to the equivalent of using the "R word" when describing a special needs person. Most of us that have been here the last 3 years know the rule.  I'm not sure why it doesn't convert to ******* like other banned words.

Just FWIW GB

That word has been elevated to the equivalent of using the "R word" when describing a special needs person. Most of us that have been here the last 3 years know the rule.  I'm not sure why it doesn't convert to ******* like other banned words.

Just FWIW GB
Yeah. I don’t come into this forum much, so just not something that would even cross someone’s mind unless they spend appreciable time in here. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense — if use of the word is considered banworthy, maybe just better to censor out the word. 

But anyway, carry on. I don’t mean to disturb whatever goes on down here. And really just wanted to come in and make a more positive point about the president, because fair is fair, and I’m not just some politics hack gunning for one side or the other. 

Yeah. I don’t come into this forum much, so just not something that would even cross someone’s mind unless they spend appreciable time in here. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense — if use of the word is considered banworthy, maybe just better to censor out the word. 

But anyway, carry on. I don’t mean to disturb whatever goes on down here. And really just wanted to come in and make a more positive point about the president, because fair is fair, and I’m not just some politics hack gunning for one side or the other. 
It could be worse:

Chinese tycoon vanishes after calling Xi a 'clown,' slamming government's handling of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread