What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but you see....China does.  It's offensive and it's inflammatory.  The last thing - AND I MEAN THE LAST THING - this country needs right now is to be at odds with China.  This is feckless leadership and it serves no benefit, only harm.  He has to stop this.  Now. 
So do Asian-Americans....

Why is non essential domestic travel still a thing?  Idiots buying low price spring break trips all over the place.  Be sweet justice if air travel gets turned off while they are away and can’t get home.

Asked about a call for him to suspend tariffs during this period, Trump repeats his claim that China is paying the tariffs.

However, that isn't accurate, China doesn’t pay one penny of Trump’s tariffs. All of Trump’s tariffs are paid by all Americans.

Trump drops "we're beating Sleepy Joe Biden in Florida" when challenged on a question about lack of public confidence in his response to the virus. Cut off the question and moved on.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1240321945545080840

Asked about a Sen. Cotton call to punish China over inflicting the virus on the world -- Cotton has called for people to be held "accountable" - Trump says he knows what Cotton has been saying, he respects him, and "there are those people that say that...we'll see what happens."

When a reporter follows up, Trump says he does not believe China has inflicted the virus upon the US, but China could have given the US much "earlier notice."

Meanwhile, perhaps on a related note to this press briefing:

NEW YORK (AP) — Stock trading is halted for the fourth time this month as S&P 500 drops 7%; trading resumes in 15 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
so we should attack China for basically giving us  this virus apparently.  If they are willing to do this (WHICH THEY DIDN'T)  for no real reason, what the hell do you think they would send if they actually had one.  

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1240323143341768706

Asked about a White House official using the term "kung flu" about the virus, and whether that's acceptable, he says, "I wonder who said that. Do you know who said that?" He says, "Say the term again." He adds, "Kung flu."

Asked whether his use of "Chinese virus" puts Asian Americans at risk, Trump says, "Not at all. Not at all. I think they probably would agree with it 100%. It comes from China."

Biff84 said:
I am fully convinced that this is most elaborate alias account ever. Congrats to whoever put in all the work over the years. This one is a little over the top and hard to believe.
Are you suggesting there are more than 558 people in the US?  Because I'm going to need to see the math on that.

So do Asian-Americans....
Right - this sort of rhetoric from the guy running our country is unsettling and I absolutely worry about backlash because of his rhetoric blaming China for this.  It's completely unnecessary and I'd be terrified as an Asian-American right now.   Jesus, Don.

Honestly, I don't really care what he calls the virus. There are more important things to be worried about right now. Trump is doing well, IMO, in the last few days. 
He is back....China is paying us billions of dollars in tariffs, NO THEY AREN'T!

Asked about a Sen. Cotton call to punish China over inflicting the virus on the world -- Cotton has called for people to be held "accountable" - Trump says he knows what Cotton has been saying, he respects him, and "there are those people that say that...we'll see what happens."

When a reporter follows up, Trump says he does not believe China has inflicted the virus upon the US, but China could have given the US much "earlier notice."
Doesn’t matter if they gave them earlier notice, they would have ignored it.

If Trump were just to say something like the virus should not be stigmatized to a region. It did come from China. People are using some gallows humor, it is a natural reaction in dire times. We don't condone this language but it is important to have perspective dealing with this situation and there are bigger pressing issues to deal with at the moment. We can argue about the importance of this after we have flattened the curve of people getting sick. We are with China and the rest of the world working to fight against a common enemy.

There's the little problem that he wants to attach it to China because he feels like it blames them is kind of a sticking point with all that though.

Yeah I love that part about them giving us more notice.  You downplayed it for well over a month and had Fox do the same and now you are saying China should've gave us more notice?  Unreal

Yeah, but you see....China does.  It's offensive and it's inflammatory.  The last thing - AND I MEAN THE LAST THING - this country needs right now is to be at odds with China.  This is feckless leadership and it serves no benefit, only harm.  He has to stop this.  Now. 
And it’s calculated and coordinated probably being pushed and contrived by Stephen Miller.

If Trump were just to say something like the virus should not be stigmatized to a region. It did come from China. People are using some gallows humor, it is a natural reaction in dire times. We don't condone this language but it is important to have perspective dealing with this situation and there are bigger pressing issues to deal with at the moment. We can argue about the importance of this after we have established after we have flattened the. We are with China and the rest of the world working to fight against a common enemy.

There's the little problem that he wants to attach it to China because he feels like it blames them is kind of a problem with all that though.
Yeah, he began by saying we are fighting 'an invisible enemy'.....it literally took him all of about 4 minutes to unmask the 'invisible enemy' and lay blame at China.  Is there not ONE grownup in the room who can stop him from doing this?  

Honestly, I don't really care what he calls the virus. There are more important things to be worried about right now. Trump is doing well, IMO, in the last few days. 
He's doing well if it were February - he's improved but still way behind where he needs to be

Right - this sort of rhetoric from the guy running our country is unsettling and I absolutely worry about backlash because of his rhetoric blaming China for this.  It's completely unnecessary and I'd be terrified as an Asian-American right now.   Jesus, Don.
I wouldn’t say terrified but my wife who is Indonesian is very concerned and feels like people are staring at her because of her ethnicity.

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Yeah, he began by saying we are fighting 'an invisible enemy'.....it literally took him all of about 4 minutes to unmask the 'invisible enemy' and lay blame at China.  Is there not ONE grownup in the room who can stop him from doing this?  
They can give him a script but when he senses any criticism he attacks and deflects anything from him. It really is amazing to watch. 

Something I have noticed during these press conferences is that as crazy as I think Pence is it is interesting to me how normal and well he comes across - because he gives us the info he knows and has been briefed on. That's all we need from these guys.

My wife is certainly terrified by it.
Sorry, man.  That's horrible.  This is dumb, but I've been going to our local Asian-American grocery store the last few days not only because their selection of produce is much better currently, but I just want to show some sort of support.  Fear and anger spreads much faster than any virus and I hate seeing the sort of rhetoric Don is using right now.  I doubt buying my lettuce and chicken from Uwajimaya reverses any of that, but still...

Funny how things change once your own ineptitude is exposed. 

@realDonaldTrump

China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!

1:18 PM · Jan 24, 2020

Okay I know people here will think I am crazy but we're having another contractor in our house to measure the kitchen for countertops and backsplash.   We won't shake his hand, will stay 6+ feet away and sanitize everything he touches when he leaves.   He promises to be in-and-out in 15 minutes.

Is this reckless?

“Payment amounts would be fixed and tiered based on income level and family size,” the Treasury department wrote in the proposal. “Treasury is modeling specific options.”

Odds of screwing this up - 99%.

Okay I know people here will think I am crazy but we're having another contractor in our house to measure the kitchen for countertops and backsplash.   We won't shake his hand, will stay 6+ feet away and sanitize everything he touches when he leaves.   He promises to be in-and-out in 15 minutes.

Is this reckless?
No
But it's been nice knowing you and say hi to your brother
;)  

They can give him a script but when he senses any criticism he attacks and deflects anything from him. It really is amazing to watch. 

Something I have noticed during these press conferences is that as crazy as I think Pence is it is interesting to me how normal and well he comes across - because he gives us the info he knows and has been briefed on. That's all we need from these guys.
He’s doing well, but the stars of these pressers have been Dr Fauci and Dr Birx.

Just realized today the Admiral is SG Jerome Adams...not sure I’ve seen him field a single Q?

tonydead said:
What the holy hell?  How is that whining?  Read to me as if he was being light hearted trying to brighten this place up a bit. Good grief the whole world has lost their gosh darn minds.  

ETA: "gosh darn"  :lmao:
Tensions are high man. I get it.  No room for joking around.   

Just from remembering Trump back when he was on the Howard Stern show.....having to actually mingle, associate and be around people right now is probably hell for him.  If he weren't the POTUS....he'd either be in a locked down Trump Tower or on an island somewhere.  So that being said, at least he's showing up.  

I also don’t care about the presidential election at this time.  What I do care about is getting this crisis taken care of.  I think we should hold all of our elected officials accountable,  I think both the democratics and Republicans are equally responsible for responding to the virus.  If the don’t respond in a timely manner, vote them all out.
Which democrats are responsible for firing the pandemic response team and not replacing them.

“Payment amounts would be fixed and tiered based on income level and family size,” the Treasury department wrote in the proposal. “Treasury is modeling specific options.”

Saw something earlier that the checks might go out the end of April.  Pretty sure people who need them need them a lot sooner than that 

Saw something earlier that the checks might go out the end of April.  Pretty sure people who need them need them a lot sooner than that 
That's cause the govt can do anything the easy way. Crank up the printing presses, and send me 10 Ben Franklins. Act like it always existed and you are just donating it to me.

If you make > $10,000,000 you get $100,000 to keep your accustomed lifestyle

If you make > $1,000,000 you get $10,000 to keep your accustomed lifestyle

If you make < $1,000,000 you get nothing, eat cheerios off the floor like a dog you poor

Basing this off historical republican precedent (or should that be President?). 

He’s doing well, but the stars of these pressers have been Dr Fauci and Dr Birx.

Just realized today the Admiral is SG Jerome Adams...not sure I’ve seen him field a single Q?
It would be really nice to let Fauci and Birx handle all the questions. 

Since they know what they are doing, and have taken this seriously all along, they have the ability to both properly inform and reassure. Given Trump's behavior over the last 6 weeks, he can't be effective in doing that. 

It's nice that he appears to be taking this seriously, but when the non-chalant, flippant guy starts to look shook, it does nobody any good. And when he's delfecting blame, then assigning blame (the reason for his chosen nomenclature of the virus), and now calling himself a "wartime President" (code for "Wartime Presidents always get re-elected"). He's demonstrating all the behaviors of some just realizing this is going to go very poorly.

That's fine in a vacuum (this is going to go poorly), but given his past, he has little shot of reassuring anyone, which we're about to need. He tried reassuring 6 weeks ago. Now it's clear he was wrong, and is just out of his league. Poking the strengthening bear (China) when we're about to be incredibly weak doesn't help either.

So, I agree, these pressers need to be all Fauci and Birx with a little Pence and the dude in the space-looking suit mixed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread