What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't have to...doesn't mean he shouldn’t step in...actually starts at the mayor level, then governor and then up to Trump.

Because at this point it isn't about personal responsibilities...because its not just their own lives at risk but everyone they come in contact with and where they will take it back to...
They probably stopped at Universal on the way there though, because that's ok, especially since the kids aren't really the ones at risk.

True, but that's so much more for law enforcement to patrol now. It's not a good reason, but it's all I have right now.
You know, I don’t think it would be very necessary. 

The vast majority of Americans, including millennials, will obey the law once it IS a law. But if you tell them “hey we don’t think you should be doing this but it’s your choice”, some of them are going to act stupid. 

Your personal snipes at sho nuff and myself don’t add to your argument in any way. 
Not a personal snipe at either of you.  Do you have an answer to my question or just looking to make it personal with me?    Do we need to the gov't to prevent parents from sending their children on an airplane to an amusement park?

Are you saying the government should have stepped in and prevented you from putting your child on an airplane to go to an amusement park?  You were railing Jon for his opinions on this and seem to be blaming the government here but your own choices are opposite of what you claim you want.   
:goodposting:   Let's start with the parents of these moronic kids.  

I don't disagree with this at all actually.  There are many more people to focus on in this before we even mention Trump as you point out.  I believe our declaration of national emergency allows our state government to officially shut down the beaches (if they couldn't do that already....a little hazy on that at the moment...conflicting sources and all that).  That should be done and those breaking the law should be put in jail.  That's all local...
Strongly disagree. Are we at war or not? During a war the commander in Chief sets the direction. In this case he could declare the beaches closed and that would end all of the infighting you’re talking about. In fact he has a responsibility to do so. 

Hopefully it stays that way, but Maryland Gov. Hogan just announced they have a 5 year old that just tested positive.
Risk means serious illness and death, not just being a carrier.  That's why most people wouldn't let their kids attend functions like this even though they aren't at risk.

They probably stopped at Universal on the way there though, because that's ok, especially since the kids aren't really the ones at risk.
And lets understand that was a week ago rather than trying to make personal attacks like you and apparently RW made...had the trip been one day later we probably would have shut it down as well.  Nor would I have had an issue had the governor stopped the trip from happening.

Not a personal snipe at either of you.  Do you have an answer to my question or just looking to make it personal with me?    Do we need to the gov't to prevent parents from sending their children on an airplane to an amusement park?
I already answered this. Yes we do. Close all amusement parks. Cancel all flights for non essential purposes. Full stop. 

Strongly disagree. Are we at war or not? During a war the commander in Chief sets the direction. In this case he could declare the beaches closed and that would end all of the infighting you’re talking about. In fact he has a responsibility to do so. 
You realize that 10 people or less effectively shuts down spring break right?  It's on the parents, the mayor and governor of these places for not following orders.

timschochet said:
This is the sort of incompetent response I meant. Why are they waiting until this coming Monday? That’s 4 more days of huge crowds at the beach. Why did the governor of Florida leave this up to the locals to decide? And more importantly, why is Trump leaving  this up to the states to decide? 

People are going to die because President Trump is behaving incompetently. This is not an overstatement. It is is not an overreaction. It’s a fact that should be clear to anyone paying attention.  
I hear ya. I’ve been wfh since Monday and limiting my exposure to others for their and my best interest. The same thing happened last week in Daytona Beach for the end of Biker Week. The mayor shut it down on the very last day so little impact was made imo. We all know it’s gonna get worse than better, but this doesn’t help.

And lets understand that was a week ago rather than trying to make personal attacks like you and apparently RW made...had the trip been one day later we probably would have shut it down as well.  Nor would I have had an issue had the governor stopped the trip from happening.
What was a week ago?  The virus  and social distancing started just a week ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t even understand this post. This has nothing to do with libertarianism. Trump says we’re at war. I agree with him. When you’re at war you have to impose restrictions on civilians for the safety of the public. That’s the whole of it. 
I could have sworn a core tenet of libertarianism was personal judgement/responsibility...who knew?  Don't let me get in your way of ranting and raving about Trump rather than the local and state officials allowing this to happen...it's bizarre, but not new.

Nobody went on a plane...how many times have you or rw tried getting personal about this in the last week...do you think this advances any conversation?

Understand the difference in where things were last week and where they are now...also the difference of n sending a child on a trip and being ok with things getting shut down.  But I doubt there will be any understanding...inly more personal comments.

You realize that 10 people or less effectively shuts down spring break right?  It's on the parents, the mayor and governor of these places for not following orders 
What orders? 

My whole point is that Trump never issued an order. It was a recommendation. He stressed that, by the way. That’s the incompetent part. It should have been an order. 

Nobody went on a plane...how many times have you or rw tried getting personal about this in the last week...do you think this advances any conversation?

Understand the difference in where things were last week and where they are now...also the difference of n sending a child on a trip and being ok with things getting shut down.  But I doubt there will be any understanding...inly more personal comments.
I'm going to need a link to show that none of these kids going to spring break took a plane.  That's a flat lie and falsehood.

I already answered this. Yes we do. Close all amusement parks. Cancel all flights for non essential purposes. Full stop. 
So if you agree, why are accusing me of taking a personal snipe at someone doing this while railing against others and the government?  I'm trying to understand the mindset here.

I could have sworn a core tenet of libertarianism was personal judgement/responsibility...who knew?  Don't let me get in your way of ranting and raving about Trump rather than the local and state officials allowing this to happen...it's bizarre, but not new.
Personal judgment/responsibility is completely irrelevant when it comes to issues of public safety. 

Those parks closed Sunday...kids actually came back a day early because the county school system said they should.  Id only be a hypocrite for my stances if I railed against them closing or the county for bringing them back.  I haven’t and agreed with the decision.  But we aren't dealing with reasonable complaints about my actions...you know this..I know this...I think even the two harping on this know this (including the one who implied my child was moronic)

Risk means serious illness and death, not just being a carrier.  That's why most people wouldn't let their kids attend functions like this even though they aren't at risk.
I certainly do not know the circumstances surrounding this case, but I'd have to assume the 5 year old was sick and showing symptoms of COVID-19 to even be tested. They aren't testing healthy people.

Also, widespread testing is just beginning. We have no idea how many kids with symptoms will test positive.

What was a week ago?  The virus  and social distancing started just a week ago?
The trip that RW has mentioned multiple times.  It was last Wednesday morning at 5 am. Yes, before much of the social distancing and issues were spreading in this country.

No...we aren't at war...who are we at war with?

Yeah no one is getting personal just trying to understand your thought process.

Basketball tournaments and other things were being cancelled when this occurred.  Don't act like no one knew about social distancing before your decision.

My real confusion is you did it on the same day you were railing Jon for his stance (which your actions seemed to agree with).  Now you're railing the government for not stepping in.  Just trying to understand here.

I'm going to need a link to show that none of these kids going to spring break took a plane.  That's a flat lie and falsehood.
It was a response to the conversation about my son’s trip...its in what you quoted from rw...it wasn't about spring break.

So no...its not a lie that my sins trip was by bus.

Personal judgment/responsibility is completely irrelevant when it comes to issues of public safety. 
I don't even know what you're talking about now.  And I'm pretty sure I don't really care :shrug:  

“You changed your tune. Hmm I wonder why.” 

“Allowing your son to fly to an amusement park...” 

These comments aren’t part of any general argument. 
Both comments are trying to understand your posts in this thread.  If you don't want to answer then that's fine just stop responding to me.  But no need to try to make this some personal thing.   You really don't have to reply to every post in every thread all the time. 

Those parks closed Sunday...kids actually came back a day early because the county school system said they should.  Id only be a hypocrite for my stances if I railed against them closing or the county for bringing them back.  I haven’t and agreed with the decision.  But we aren't dealing with reasonable complaints about my actions...you know this..I know this...I think even the two harping on this know this (including the one who implied my child was moronic)
I don’t care about your personal situation or what decisions you made. I don’t know why others here do except as a way to put you down. 

My purpose in this discussion is about national direction of policy. We cannot depend on personal decision making in this crisis. We need laws and restrictions imposed immediately, and the failure of the President to impose them is proof of his incompetence. This is completely on Trump (as well as his supporters who refused to remove him when they knew he was incompetent.) 

It's also a deflection.  Just being in an amusement park around thousands of others and then coming back home to spread a virus that takes days to appear was the issue.  When called on it, his previous response was his son wasn't in the at risk category and showed zero concern for the public at large.  Now he seems to be concerned about the public.  It's a confusing stance.

I don’t care about your personal situation or what decisions you made. I don’t know why others here do except as a way to put you down. 

My purpose in this discussion is about national direction of policy. We cannot depend on personal decision making in this crisis. We need laws and restrictions imposed immediately, and the failure of the President to impose them is proof of his incompetence. This is completely on Trump (as well as his supporters who refused to remove him when they knew he was incompetent.) 
I agree with you...just pointing out that places like Disney and Universal shut down Sunday.  Unlike the current beach situation.

Wait.  You're now blaming not only Trump but Trump supporters for those that are selfish and won't distance themselves from others socially?  Wow

I don't even know what you're talking about now.  And I'm pretty sure I don't really care :shrug:  
I will try one last time because I do respect your thoughts and POV: 

There is a naval weapons station very close to my house. It has all kinds of military armament there, including, I assume, nuclear weapons. There is fencing and signs everywhere that trespassers will be shot. Those signs are there for public safety. We don’t leave it up to the public to decide whether or not they’re going to trespass. The decision whether or not to enter that base by climbing over the fence is not left to personal responsibility. It’s against the law, and violators will be shot, full stop. It’s not a question of libertarianism. 

And that’s what I’m talking about. In the interest of public safety, close the beaches. You can’t leave this up to personal choice. People are going to die if you don’t. 

Who is talking about your son's trip that you sent him on during the pandemic?  And I'm going to need a link to buses being any safer than a plane now that you bring it up.
You replied to it right there tony.  No need to act like you don't know.

bus travel with people you know...vs plane travel through an airport and to ankther airport and with people on board the plane you don’t  know.  Yes...the risk would obviously be lower especially at the point of last Wednesday.

Now enough about my son’s trip that was before things were getting shut down (they learned on the bus their competition ms were shut down and it was during that trip where tournaments were getting shut down)

Any talk about the trip and my son is completely pointless so stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

:lmao:

I will try one last time because I do respect your thoughts and POV: 

There is a naval weapons station very close to my house. It has all kinds of military armament there, including, I assume, nuclear weapons. There is fencing and signs everywhere that trespassers will be shot. Those signs are there for public safety. We don’t leave it up to the public to decide whether or not they’re going to trespass. The decision whether or not to enter that base by climbing over the fence is not left to personal responsibility. It’s against the law, and violators will be shot, full stop. It’s not a question of libertarianism. 

And that’s what I’m talking about. In the interest of public safety, close the beaches. You can’t leave this up to personal choice. People are going to die if you don’t. 
I can't believe I'm even going down this path, but here it goes.

What law is being broken that you feel these people should be thrown in jail for?

Wait.  You're now blaming not only Trump but Trump supporters for those that are selfish and won't distance themselves from others socially?  Wow
I am. 

Trump has been urged by medical authorities for at least two weeks to declare a freeze in place for all American society. I think this will be done by next week, but by then unnecessary lives will have been lost due to Trump’s incompetence. In addition, I blame Trump for the lack of tests, and for not using the Army Corp of Engineers to build more hospital beds. That’s on him. He has shown himself to be an incompetent, corrupt man who should not be our President. 

I blame his supporters because months before this crisis emerged they were presented concrete evidence of his incompetence and corruption and they chose to stick with him anyhow. I firmly believe that if Trump had been removed from office as he should have been in January, we would be in much better shape right now. President Pence would have ordered social distancing rather than ask for it. President Pence would have accepted tests from the WHO, and the Army Corp of Engineers would be at work already constructing hospital beds. Pence would have listened to the experts and carried out their advice. For this lapse I blame Trump’s supporters, that is my position. 

I can't believe I'm even going down this path, but here it goes.

What law is being broken that you feel these people should be thrown in jail for?
None at the moment. I am demanding an executive order. I want a law imposed immediately to get them to stop. I blame Trump for not issuing that order. 

You relied to it right there tony.  Ni need to act like you don't know.
"referred"?   "No"?

I was referring to Tim wanting to blame Trump before he put blame on the parents, the mayor and the governor.  Trump gave the order of 10 people or less, that effectively shut down spring break, no?  The mayor and governor failed to enforce the orders from the top.  But more importantly than that, this virus will never stop spreading if people can't take personal responsibility.  I'd blame the parents of these moronic kids way before any of the government leaders.  

But, yeah, since you keep bringing it up, sending your kids to Universal last week wasn't very smart or good for your community.

None at the moment. I am demanding an executive order. I want a law imposed immediately to get them to stop. I blame Trump for not issuing that order. 
That's not how executive orders work Tim.  What you are really saying is you want to throw our democratic process out the window where the house/senate do the rule making so trump can make whatever law he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread